Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    you are assuming the posters citizenship

You are right, if they have American citizenship they'll be grand.
    I'm trying to insert a word of caution into a thread that seems to believe that Ireland is the only country in the world with travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

faceman wrote: »
    Now the latest in the media is “half of Dublin arrivals are returning from “holiday”

However, that’s not the reality. The reality is they arrived half arrived from holiday destinations but that doesn’t mean they were all on holiday.

And the figure? 397 from holiday hot spots

LATEST NEWS: ALL OF IRELAND HAS GONE ON HOLIDAYS AND THERE IS NO ONE LEFT IN THE COUNTRY

silence from the peanut gallery

#bliss

Dr. Em wrote: »
    I'm trying to insert a word of caution into a thread that seems to believe that Ireland is the only country in the world with travel restrictions.

We really dont need any cautionary tales here. we have heard it all and abide by it all.

we just want to have a chat

why is it so hard :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

What US travel ban? you mean for tourists? not for citizens, or spouses of citizens.. plenty (not as much as usual obviously) of Irish people living in USA travelled home for Christmas and returned.

There is a travel ban on anyone who has been in Ireland/UK/Schengen who is not a US citizen, permanent resident, or spouse or child of a US citizen. These categories include many Irish, but it is still a travel ban for the great majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

faceman wrote: »
    Now the latest in the media is “half of Dublin arrivals are returning from “holiday”

However, that’s not the reality. The reality is they arrived half arrived from holiday destinations but that doesn’t mean they were all on holiday.

And the figure? 397 from holiday hot spots

Per day I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Dr. Em wrote: »

I’m only thinking about the future. Nothing set in stone. In a year or so post vaccinations i’ll be weighing up on how life is Ireland vs USA.

How did this virus circumnavigate the globe back in Feb/March anyone know? Did it fly lol

How did this virus circumnavigate the globe back in Feb/March anyone know? Did it fly lol

and ur point?

or are you trying to be witty

and ur point?

or are you trying to be witty

I'm not clever enough to do wit. Seriously though, did the virus get to every country on earth so quickly because everyone stayed at home and didn't get on a plane to here there and yonder? Think about it.

I'm not clever enough to do wit. Seriously though, did the virus get to every country on earth so quickly because everyone stayed at home and didn't get on a plane to here there and yonder? Think about it.

you do realise we are just TALKING about travel - we are actually not travelling.

or do you want to crush our dreams too.

cant we just TALK about places we are interested in going to

JEEZ or is that banned now also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

So?

They could hardly 'close' the airports (at any stage, nevermind back in March when all of this started)

people were still travelling in and out for all sorts of purposes, and still will continue to do so, don't tell me you're one of the 'close de airport and de ports shut down the country' brigade, as if that's realistic.....

the dream police are out n about

we cant even dream about things now

no - you can only dream about what we tell you to dream about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The Chinese Communist party banned flights out of Wuhan and Hubei province to the rest of China but not internationally, stop it from spreading in China but no bother to infect the rest of the world. It primarily spread into Italy via Chinese textile workers returning after New Years and Chinese New Year to their employment in the Italian textiles industry, alas the rest is history from an Irish and European point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

I think those who are cheerleading for border closures and mandatory quarentines need to be careful what you wish for, yes Id be in favour of this as a TEMPORARY measure but if we were to do this long term as some are suggesting then what does that make us as a country? are people ready for what could be coming down the tracks if we start going in this direction?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What US travel ban? you mean for tourists? not for citizens, or spouses of citizens.. plenty (not as much as usual obviously) of Irish people living in USA travelled home for Christmas and returned.

Irish people are banned from entering the USA since 14th March 2020 IF they are flying out of Ireland, UK, EU Schengen, Brazil, Iran or China, these other nationalities are also banned if flying out of their own countries with Iran and China banned outright no exemptions. Basically if you are an Irish passport holder and spent the last two weeks in Ireland or any of the above you are deemed inadmissible to the USA

Now however if an Irish passport holder was to have spent 14 days in Dubai or Turkey or another 3rd country then you can travel into America. It is not an outright ban but it will stop 99.9999999% of Irish people who have no links or appropriate visa to enter the USA. There are exemptions such as entry for medical treatment or Irish citizens who have Green Cards, work visas or are dual citizens.

theguzman wrote: »
    The Chinese Communist party banned flights out of Wuhan and Hubei province to the rest of China but not internationally, stop it from spreading in China but no bother to infect the rest of the world. It primarily spread into Italy via Chinese textile workers returning after New Years and Chinese New Year to their employment in the Italian textiles industry, alas the rest is history from an Irish and European point of view.

Just like I said. Other countries just didn't know much about transmission back then, but there has been plenty of time to get to grips with it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I think those who are cheerleading for border closures and mandatory quarentines need to be careful what you wish for, yes Id be in favour of this as a TEMPORARY measure but if we were to do this long term as some are suggesting then what does that make us as a country? are people ready for what could be coming down the tracks if we start going in this direction?

It beggars belief how willing people are to hand over civil liberties.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

Just like I said. Other countries just didn't know much about transmission back then, but there has been plenty of time to get to grips with it by now.

and still no one has got to grips to it by now

other than New Zealand and a few others

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/conorhumphries/status/1354558045410484224

Que a huge uptake in people booking holidays.

Those of us with a conscience see it completely as a temporary measure until vaccinations cover us. A holding measure if you like.

It has to be done, there are far too many Brazilians coming here on Portuguese passports for example. Test everyone, quarantine those who refuse a test or both.

This is a serious situation Captain.

• Advertisement

Those of us with a conscience see it completely as a temporary measure until vaccinations cover us. A holding measure if you like.

It has to be done, there are far too many Brazilians coming here on Portuguese passports for example. Test everyone, quarantine those who refuse a test or both.

lets call out people from Brazil for some reason

also you do realise that people are entitled to discuss the measures and be annoyed about them while at the same time abiding by them.

i think a person has less of a conscience when they cant seem to see things from another persons perspective

you do realise we are just TALKING about travel - we are actually not travelling.

or do you want to crush our dreams too.

cant we just TALK about places we are interested in going to

JEEZ or is that banned now also?

Talk away, no one is stopping you or anyone else. But it seems to be aspirational that travel abroad will happen at the moment.

I say this as someone who loves to travel, been all over and was planning a road trip to US before Christmas last year. Gutted of course, but realistic too.

Talk away, no one is stopping you or anyone else. But it seems to be aspirational that travel abroad will happen at the moment.

I say this as someone who loves to travel, been all over and was planning a road trip to US before Christmas last year. Gutted of course, but realistic too.

me - i am not going anywhere - i have been in my house for a year and will continue to do so.

i like other posters on here just dont like the way some people are shaming people because they want to talk about things or that primetime films people on a flight and we have no real context about who what why. But lets mark them all with the Letter A and publically shame them. That is not OK.

and what we are talking about is all aspirational for god sakes. we cant go anywhere. but the Dream Police are out in full force tonight. riled up by the media.

What has conscience got to do with it?
    If you travel you have no conscience?

Nobody is saying strict measures are needed but blanket bans which will likely stay in place for many, many months, possibly years coupled with the attempt to publicly shame people for traveling even though they have adhered to the guidelines of a European travel system is plain wrong- as is the bolloxology that is the 5k travel limit.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

https://twitter.com/conorhumphries/status/1354558045410484224

Que a huge uptake in people booking holidays.

The narrative has changed drastically from just a few days ago where they were telling people to get the vaccine and we can get back to normal within the next few months, now we are being told the border is gonna be sealed and we wont be able to leave the country for possibly another year or more, this smacks of something big coming down the pipeling, maybe the vaccines are not quite the silver bullet everybody hoped they would be, maybe there are more strains gonna emerge, who knows,
    I know one thing that people will not be able to tolerate this for another year or more as is currently being touted, there will be mass civil unrest not to mention our infrastructure would crumble under the weight of trying to implement these measures, the Garda force already have enough to be doing with policing covid policies now they are talking about quarantine enforcement and possible civil disobedience to top it off

The narrative has changed drastically from just a few days ago where they were telling people to get the vaccine and we can get back to normal within the next few months, now we are being told the border is gonna be sealed and we wont be able to leave the country for possibly another year or more, this smacks of something big coming down the pipeling, maybe the vaccines are not quite the silver bullet everybody hoped they would be, maybe there are more strains gonna emerge, who knows,
    I know one thing that people will not be able to tolerate this for another year or more as is currently being touted, there will be mass civil unrest not to mention our infrastructure would crumble under the weight of trying to implement these measures, the Garda force already have enough to be doing with policing covid policies now they are talking about quarantine enforcement and possible civil disobedience to top it off

omg thats so scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Does anyone know if Ryanair’s (and Aer Lingus) legal teams will be mounting a fresh legal challenge to the soon to be mandatory quarantine with associated fines?

My understanding of the case brought last summer was that the government got off on the whole case because the restricting movements was only advisory at the time and the government had not banned travel.

However, we are now in a totally different situation. Will there be legal challenges once again?

The media really has been on a frenzy these past few days and are not thinking of the bigger consequences of what they are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is it temporary though?

When a government takes this much power it’s hard to stop

If you think these measure are gonna be temporary then I think you are in for a bit of a rude awakening, the narrative is changing by the day, it was get the vaccine and get back to normal just a few days ago, to now talking about cancelling summer travel already, so thats the next 6-8 months written off, that nearly takes us towards the end of 2021 and you can bet there will be another reason why we cant return to "normal" by then

• Advertisement

How long can PUP be maintained? If that's gets eroded civil rest and compliance will crumble too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement