Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

no, they arent as you have volunteered for this system

Thats like calling an aeroplane a flying detention centre

Not my words

They’re called detention centres in some other countries. Alongside immigration detention centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

Asking for someone who is not on here. "Has anyone here any actual experience of travelling to the UK to see immediate family? UK and Irish passports held, but not seen the parents and family in the UK since last year. All the doom and gloom about no international travel 'til next year is getting me stressed and worried. Not talking about heading off on a jolly, just a trip to see the family and stay in their house.
    Can they actually stop you from travelling? I do see that there is a EU rule about allowing people to travel to their place of nationality (UK). And travelling back would be covered by place of residence and citizenship."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

blowin3 wrote: »
    I am in an awful bind now. My wife and I and children are emigrating July and they start new schools in August. I take it I will be aloud leave by our great leaders. I would not put anything past this power hungry bunch but glad to be getting out.

Of course you'll be allowed. Don't let the news scare you.

I'm flying on Monday to move away for a few months, I probably won't be asked/ stopped at all as I'm getting the bus to Dublin airport, and my flight is at 5am, but if I am, they can see my one way ticket, simple as :pac:

Is1ldur wrote: »
    Asking for someone who is not on here. "Has anyone here any actual experience of travelling to the UK to see immediate family? UK and Irish passports held, but not seen the parents and family in the UK since last year. All the doom and gloom about no international travel 'til next year is getting me stressed and worried. Not talking about heading off on a jolly, just a trip to see the family and stay in their house.
    Can they actually stop you from travelling? I do see that there is a EU rule about allowing people to travel to their place of nationality (UK). And travelling back would be covered by place of residence and citizenship."

No they cannot physically stop you travelling. They can fine you if they deem your reason to not be essential, but you can carry on with your journey afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Benimar wrote: »
    5km is irrelevant. If it’s non essential travel, then they can fine you and the only one fcuked is you.
    With that attitude, good luck avoiding a fine.

haha, good to see the usual pathetic begrudgery is still alive with the lockdown heads.

got a few holidays in last year thankfully, deffo getting a few in this year.

getting away from this hell hole is essential to my mental wellbeing. and i ahve an apartment i can go to whenever.

• Advertisement

Ive been a few times by ferry and air, as I live and work across both countries. You do not need to get a test or self isolate on the way there. If stopped on your way to the airport I would show the Gard your UK passport and say you’re going to stay with your family. They wouldn’t stop a citizen of a different country from doing that.

You need a test and to self isolate on the way back

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

Of course you'll be allowed. Don't let the news scare you.

I'm flying on Monday to move away for a few months, I probably won't be asked/ stopped at all as I'm getting the bus to Dublin airport, and my flight is at 5am, but if I am, they can see my one way ticket, simple as :pac:

Nice for you - getting out of here. You dont have to disclose it obviously -but where you going if you dont mind saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Yes I know a couple who flew to the UK last summer, they all just flew as normal without anything really stopping them, when they got back they didn't bother with the self isolation either. One thing though, they came back with COVID and spread it around our community, one family death and three cases of long-COVID resulted so consider that before you travel

Yes I know a couple who flew to the UK last summer, they all just flew as normal without anything really stopping them, when they got back they didn't bother with the self isolation either. One thing though, they came back with COVID and spread it around our community, one family death and three cases of long-COVID resulted so consider that before you travel

obviously its an awful thing to happen but the way you have phrased it by just dropping it in sarcastically makes me think you are making that particular scenario up.

it obviously happens but dont need to make things up to prove ur point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Found a lovely villa in Lanzarote in late April for a cheap price for 3 weeks. I suppose I will be treated like a serial killer for even taking a look!

• Advertisement

RobitTV wrote: »
    Found a lovely villa in Lanzarote in late April for a cheap price for 3 weeks. I suppose I will be treated like a serial killer for even taking a look!

maybe stay away from Lanzarote LOL :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

faceman wrote: »
    The individual has no say, no right of reply and no right to freedom during the process.

And let’s be serious here. Given the prime time shaming of people in the airport last night, people are out for blood.

As frank zappa once said, it’s total criminality

Prisoners and animals in rescue centres are treated better

Being "shamed", ah shur god love them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The mood music changes every month.

6 weeks ago we are opening up and all confident.

It changes very quickly.

Travel situation at severest now is probably a good thing as lots of time to open up before the summer.

Regardless essential travel will always be allowed.

However, how does the quarantine situation work with essential travel I wonder?

I returned to Ireland for a funeral in November. I contacted the priest in advance just in cases he wanted special arrangements in the church for me but he said I was permitted to attend per the guidelines anyway and he had no issue. I sat at the back.

Incidentally no one else cared that I was back from abroad or gave me a wide berth.

On the passenger locator form I ticked the box for essential travel. There was no questions for immigration, I wasn’t asked to specify what the essential travel was, nor was I contacted by anyone for the 14 days.

I’m sure that’s going to change now but that’s how it was

In the event of detention centres for all travellers, essential travel won’t be permitted

TobyHolmes wrote: »
    maybe stay away from Lanzarote LOL :pac::pac:

They'll have the Gardai knocking down my door in a dawn raid :pac:

yes its an awful thing to do - for society to shame a person who is going about their business and for society to make a judgment call on their business. its up to the individual to have their own self of personal responsibility and for law enforcement to enforce the covid regulations - it is not anyone else's role to judge it as we dont know the particular circumstances.

some of these people were travelling on business.

you can of course have your opinions on it - but to go out of the way to publically humiliate them is disgraceful.

Isn’t that what those nuns said too?

yes its an awful thing to do - for society to shame a person who is going about their business and for society to make a judgment call on their business. its up to the individual to have their own self of personal responsibility and for law enforcement to enforce the covid regulations - it is not anyone else's role to judge it as we dont know the particular circumstances.

some of these people were travelling on business.

you can of course have your opinions on it - but to go out of the way to publically humiliate them is disgraceful.

absolutely, people are either stupid, or seem to disregard the fact that people can travel for essential reasons, like you say, work, or family reasons etc, people are quick to call them arseholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

As long as you obey whatever restrictions that are in place at the time then most people won't really care that much. Although if it is still around, most would appreciate people being responsible even if it is technically allowed at the time.

Do you think that a more in-depth personal reflection might perhaps garner a greater sense of respect for the thousands of families here who lost loved ones? I mean to be so flippant about the disease as if it's only really to joke about?

Most of your posts here come across that you feel very personally victimised? At least to me. Others may interpret them differently. You may or may not feel that way when you write them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

faceman wrote: »
    I returned to Ireland for a funeral in November. I contacted the priest in advance just in cases he wanted special arrangements in the church for me but he said I was permitted to attend per the guidelines anyway and he had no issue. I sat at the back.

Incidentally no one else cared that I was back from abroad or gave me a wide berth.

On the passenger locator form I ticked the box for essential travel. There was no questions for immigration, I wasn’t asked to specify what the essential travel was, nor was I contacted by anyone for the 14 days.

I’m sure that’s going to change now but that’s how it was

In the event of detention centres for all travellers, essential travel won’t be permitted

I returned to Ireland in November, the immigration man didn't even take a cursory glance at my Covid-Locator form. I could have a photocopy of someone elses. I received a text 3 times during my quarantine and just replied Yes each time. I did my two weeks and got tested at the end of it as it emerged there was a huge outbreak on my flight and I was a close contact. A farce really because Ryanair didn't enforce mask wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

absolutely, people are either stupid, or seem to disregard the fact that people can travel for essential reasons, like you say, work, or family reasons etc, people are quick to call them arseholes.

Just shows you how much of this Covid stuff has morphed into a religion at best, a Cult at worst for some people.

Part of my trip to NY in June is to asses the employment situation there. The industry that I would be considered part of the industry [hospitality since I was a Doorman when I was in NY. And worked at hotels here] that the Govt has completely decimated. And God only knows when that will recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol.
    That worked out well at Xmas.

As long as you obey whatever restrictions that are in place at the time then most people won't really care that much. Although if it is still around, most would appreciate people being responsible even if it is technically allowed at the time.

Do you think that a more in-depth personal reflection might perhaps garner a greater sense of respect for the thousands of families here who lost loved ones? I mean to be so flippant about the disease as if it's only really to joke about?

Most of your posts here come across that you feel very personally victimised? At least to me. Others may interpret them differently. You may or may not feel that way when you write them.

I'm sorry if I have come across that way, but that is not the way I meant it at all. When I said "treated like a serial killer" that was not some sort of insult directed at the poor families and friends who have lost loved ones during this pandemic. I wouldn't every cross that terrible line and say something so cold and awful. Everyone knows this is a serious problem for people who are vulnerable and elderly, and they must be protected. I fully respect the wishes of people who don't want to travel. This is a matter of personal choice. I will continue to play my part and protect me and my family, like I have done since last March.

I wouldn't do anything that would harm others. I will continue to follow the sensible precautions home or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

obviously its an awful thing to happen but the way you have phrased it by just dropping it in sarcastically makes me think you are making that particular scenario up.

it obviously happens but dont need to make things up to prove ur point.

If it stops one person from making the same mistake it's worth every ounce of sarcasm you detect

The virus is deadly, remember that

Has anyone used boots testing covid service?

Were the results back in the expected time? ie 24 hours or the next day?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm sorry if I have come across that way, but that is not the way I meant it at all. When I said "treated like a serial killer" that was not some sort of insult directed at the poor families and friends who have lost loved ones during this pandemic. I wouldn't every cross that terrible line and say something so cold and awful. Everyone knows this is a serious problem for people who are vulnerable and elderly, and they must be protected. I fully respect the wishes of people who don't want to travel. This is a matter of personal choice. I will continue to play my part and protect me and my family, like I have done since last March.

I wouldn't do anything that would harm others. I will continue to follow the sensible precautions home or abroad.

I'm only saying it to let you know so that you could clarify. Others may have interpreted your post differently. I was just letting you know how it appeared. And you have clarified.

I will say that other side of that is that there are people who are currently healthy but will catch this and die prematurely from it. They are still alive and don't know they will catch it. But that's the reason I won't travel. Not in case I am the specific one who brings it back. If I am on a plane of 100 people and 1 of the others has it and brings it back, it isn't the case that that one person is any more or less at fault that I would be.

Obviously when I say travel, I refer to non-essential travel. (Personally I have no essential travel and don't foresee any). I have tentative plans to travel in Oct. Non essential and not booked yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I hope MM has to have one of these when he is off to Biden giving him a bowl of grass.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/7k9m9d/china-is-using-anal-swabs-to-detect-covid-infections?utm_content=1611765007&utm_medium=social&utm_source=VICE_facebook&fbclid=IwAR0h7s4hy92xDSysG1ubx7eq49tFsikLO7DvjV9ijWwmpVpmCnirDEtIYU8

Bet you he won’t spend 14 days at home after his trip. By chance it won’t be necessary when he heads off for a trip.

If it stops one person from making the same mistake it's worth every ounce of sarcasm you detect

The virus is deadly, remember that

i'm not downplaying it but humans are humans and you cant expect humans to fit into a nice little package - its never worked that way in the thousands of years we have been a species.

I will caveat this by saying I have been at home for the past year and have gone absolutely nowhere except for some visitations which were allowed during the regulations at the particular time.

But not everyone is me and not everyone has the same life as me and sometimes people might have to do something other than sit in their house waiting for this to pass and if that means they get on a plane and fly away for a few months. Then thats what they have to do. I think everyone needs to focus on what they are doing and not what everyone else is doing.

Lol.
    That worked out well at Xmas.

yeah it didnt work but whats your point?
    just proves that zero covid will never work in ireland
    we know that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Anyone tempted to emigrate?

• Advertisement

Anyone tempted to emigrate?

I was thinking about this today. The topic. If Ireland ends up with a more drastic and prolonged travel curtailment than other EU countries it could result in a brain drain. It has already happened to some degree as many non native workers returned to their home countries. Eventually it will impact FDI and then the paddies

That’s a worst cases scenario of course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement