Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I’m coming to the realisation that I may well not see my family again. I don’t travel for holidays, but nearly every living relative I have is overseas. Waiting out the restrictions is one thing, but this pcr racket is going to around for a very long time. I will never be able to afford 150 each way, as well as the fare. Cheap fares are probably gone forever too, as there will be fewer airlines flying. More and more I’m seeing a future where the vaccinated will have more freedom, while those of us at the bottom sit waiting for one to be available. I also doubt that they’ll be free after this year, so it’ll be another financial barrier to free movement.
    Hopefully this is my depression talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The whole country was clearly asked not to travel yesterday.

Some still will.
    I hope people stay away from UAE. I'm still on less than half my wage and there'll be no return for us if schools have to stay closed (I'm not a teacher by the way). Rumours are that Dubai schools are close to moving online again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

That's right and may explain it in part but to be clear what I'm referring to:

Leo Varadkar and Donnelly have stated that even if everyone is vaccinated, they still won't assume herd immunity as new variants could still change things.

Ie: restrictions going nowhere, vaccine or not.

There's no real exit plan, the plan seems to be restrictions on/off, forever.

That’s my concern too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Paschal Donohue on the radio this morning saying foreign travel amounts for just 0.5% of our case numbers, yet he expects the British variant to be the dominant one here in the coming weeks...

Did the British variant swim across the Irish sea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Acer33 wrote: »
    Hi all

I very seldom travel and iv been putting off going away somewhere (i honestly dont know where) fro a while now. I had a few places in mind but felt in no rush. The recent spate of events however has spurred me to consider movement. I get the feeling that i dont travel now my opportunity to see these places that i have never visited will be taken away forever. This is because i do not intend on taking any vaccine as it against my religious beliefs. Furthermore i consider it ill advised as far as health and physiology is concerned.

I am opposed to taking any manner of synthetic chemical and do not intend on doing so now. In any case, i would greatly appreciate if people could give me a summery as to the restrictions currently in place and how best to travel if still possible. I do not listen to the news much these days as it has degenerated into gutter standard fear mongering and propaganda (RTE is now akin to SKY and Fox News).

Any information would be appreciated, thank you

Leitrim may be nice. Live on a boat and if the weather gets better you can see more of the country. Good chance no one will be bothering you trying to vaccinate you either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Paschal Donohue on the radio this morning saying foreign travel amounts for just 0.5% of our case numbers, yet he expects the British variant to be the dominant one here in the coming weeks...

Well the British variant has been in Wales since September and still 2% of cases, and accounts for 2% of cases in Denmark and has been there since November.

So it becoming dominant here is a bull**** theory anyway, most likely.

As for it swimming, you do realise the Brit's didn't invent it? They just identified it, it's probably been here the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Acosta

We do have a open border with the UK. Considering the small numbers that have been travelling into this country, it could easily have come into the North on an internal flight or ferry and then spread by people who cross the border for work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

That's right and may explain it in part but to be clear what I'm referring to:

Leo Varadkar and Donnelly have stated that even if everyone is vaccinated, they still won't assume herd immunity as new variants could still change things.

Ie: restrictions going nowhere, vaccine or not.

There's no real exit plan, the plan seems to be restrictions on/off, forever.

It’s also worth noting that the last truly major pandemic, smallpox, took 5 years to eradicate in the 70’s once vaccines started to rollout in Europe. And that was virus that didn’t have new strains

Once again all those calling for travel bans have no idea what they’re asking for

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Let’s not be stupid about this. Of course if arrived through travel. But if 1,000 people have it right now, it wasn’t 1,000 people who brought it on a plane. It was merely a few people who at the time weren’t required to get tested prior to arrival

So if it’s only a small number who arrived with it on boat or plane or from the north, how did the spread in Ireland?

Because people didn’t follow the rules. Went to houses, went to packed pubs and restaurants, didn’t wear masks. Those numbers are way higher than those who didn’t self isolate on the return from travel. (And fook those who didn’t self isolate too)

People need to be honest here. Blaming travel doesn’t alleviate responsibility and accountability

If people were truly honest, the amount of people who genuinely followed the rules and guidelines this last year is probably a tiny statistic

We now have stricter rules around travel

But no new rules around all of the other major holes domestically. My hospital sources has told me that what’s not being discussed in the media is that the virus rate is not coming down fast enough even though Ireland has been in level 5 for a month.

It ain’t travel that’s keeping the numbers high. But ya know, get the hysteria to the airport to distract from bigger issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Is everyone who was planning to go to Dubai still going? You now need a negative PCR result before arriving and you'll have another test on arrival. 75 euro a night minimum in quarantine if you test positive.

Yes, flying on Tuesday at 6am, having my PCR test done in boots sunday at 11am. No additional test on arrival for Irish passengers, just the one PCR test you get done yourself.

My test should be back within 24 hours, so travelling to Dublin Airport Hotel Monday afternoon. Obviously if my test is positive I won't be going anywhere. Have been quarantining the last 2 weeks to ensure I didn't pick up anything so fingers crossed.

The countries that must take an additional test upon arrival to Dubai are:
    Afghanistan, Angola, Argentina, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Chile, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Greece, Guinea, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Senegal, Slovakia, Somaliland, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Has anyone traveled to dublin airport in the past few days? Has anyone had to talk to a guard at the checkpoints yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

What airline is that? Looks very fake to me

LOL, not fake, but they could have done the average statistics in a more realistic manner, such as breaking the figures down into quarters of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

smurfjed wrote: »
    The list of countries enforcing bans is increasing.

1: Philippines - no one allowed enter who has spent time in the Czech Republic in the last 14 days
    2: Mauritius - no one allowed enter who has spent time in the UK last during last 14 days
    3: Saudi Arabia - no one allowed enter who has spent time in Lebanon in the last 14 days
    4: UAE - List of green countries that dont have to undergo mandatory Quarantine - Ireland isnt on it (Don’t know if this includes Dubai)
    5: Indonesia - banned all tourists (will include Bali)

So its not really going to be a question of “IF” you will travel but more a case of “WHERE TO”?
    So I can go to the Philippines since I haven't been to Ceska since November last year, good to know thanks.

They are writing off deaths from normal causes as COVID to inflate the statistics. The same as in Italy - Google 99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says

Thats a disingenuous position
    Please have a think about it
    If you die with covid pneumonia whilst you have cancer,its the covid pneumonia that has killed you
    It has shortened your life that would otherwise be longer
    Everyone is entitled to as long a life as is possible without covid

smurfjed wrote: »
    I said that the list was increasing, I didn’t say that it was inclusive. For anyone traveling i would suggest checking out:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/world.php

I don't think your list is saying what you want it to say tbh.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The first post just asks if a person will travel ?

Well i dont know. Thats what im here to ask about. I hadnt intended on anything immediate

However this ongoing barrage of restrictions has me thinking wel be living some kind of fascist dystopia before long, so im considering it before our rights are completely taken away
    They are writing off deaths from normal causes as COVID to inflate the statistics. The same as in Italy - Google 99% of Those Who Died From Virus Had Other Illness, Italy Says
    I get the sense that we are being saturated with disinformation from people and groups trying to collapse the system
    Do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Going off the deep end with that. There was no narrative about getting the vaccine and get back to normal; that was a Ryanair publicity stunt. Cancelling summer travel is simply a reality reflection that enough people won't be vaccinated by the summer to allow the normal.

I doubt you would actually put your money on a bet that there will be another reason towards the end of 2021. Why? if people aren't clogging up hospitals and ICU beds, then what's the rationale? It's obvious the government want to open the economy when possible. so what will be the justification for having "another reason" other than just being a moan.

I'm not trying to be a moan I'm simply giving an opinion of what I think lies ahead, my prediction is that these restrictions will carry on until June, by then the seasonality aspect will kick in and the numbers will start going down, they will herald the vaccine as being a great success (even though it does not prevent the spread of the virus) and a lot of countries will start opening up,
    However our government will take a Conservative approach and tell people that foreign travel is off the table, even though many holiday hotspots will be letting tourists back in,
    Then by next autumn wel be back to having rising case numbers as the vaccine doesn't stop the actual spread and probably another lockdown by next winter, rinse and repeat, I hope I'm wrong but it's beginning to look like a pattern here

Me and my two little boys are Irish and we live in the middle east. My wife of nine years - their mother - is from SE Asia and lives with us in the middle east.
    We have a house in Ireland and my frail parents live there. The Irish government is no longer issuing type c visas to third country citizens, meaning my wife can't renew hers, which expired last week.

There are many reasons why we might all have to go to Ireland suddenly, without warning. Now we can't travel as a family unit because my wife won't get a visa. Oh, if there is an emergency, the visa office says "they'll make a judgement" but this could take 1-2 weeks to process assuming the judgement is positive. That timeframe is no good in some of the plausible eventualities I'm facing.

We are happy to take PCR tests galore, quarantine in our house, heck, we are even vaccinated at this point.

I think this is outrageous. A 70-year-old Yank who's never set foot in Ireland can get a passport if his great grandfather 140 years ago was born in Ireland and just arrive, but a mother / spouse of Irish citizens who owns a home in Ireland can't even get a visa these days to accompany her family.

Me and my two little boys are Irish and we live in the middle east. My wife of nine years - their mother - is from SE Asia and lives with us the middle east.
    We have a house in Ireland and my frail parents live there. The Irish government is no longer issuing type c visas to third country citizens, meaning my wife can't renew hers, which expired last week.

There are many reasons why we might all have to go to Ireland suddenly, without warning. Now we can't travel as a family unit because my wife won't get a visa. Oh, if there is an emergency, the visa office says "they'll make a judgement" but this could take 1-2 weeks to process assuming the judgement is positive. That timeframe is no good in some of the plausible eventualities I'm facing.

We are happy to take PCR tests galore, quarantine in our house, heck, we are even vaccinated at this point.

I think this is outrageous. A 70-year-old Yank who's never set foot in Ireland can get a passport if his great grandfather 140 years ago was born in Ireland and just arrive, but a mother / spouse of Irish citizens who owns a home in Ireland can't even get a visa these days to accompany her family.

Why didn't your wife apply for citizenship after your marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yes, flying on Tuesday at 6am, having my PCR test done in boots sunday at 11am. No additional test on arrival for Irish passengers, just the one PCR test you get done yourself.

My test should be back within 24 hours, so travelling to Dublin Airport Hotel Monday afternoon. Obviously if my test is positive I won't be going anywhere. Have been quarantining the last 2 weeks to ensure I didn't pick up anything so fingers crossed.

The countries that must take an additional test upon arrival to Dubai are:
    Afghanistan, Angola, Argentina, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Chile, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Greece, Guinea, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kenya, Lebanon, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Senegal, Slovakia, Somaliland, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Tunisia, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, Zambia, Zimbabwe

Sounds like you're good to go so. He prepared for a possible test on arrival as Ireland and the UK are on the naughty list at the moment

Take care when out and about. Dubai is giving off the look of safety but it's not. Enjoy!

• Advertisement

Why didn't your wife apply for citizenship after your marriage?

Ireland doesn't give citizenship based on marriage. Only based on residency or birthright. We are not full time resident in Ireland since we got married, though as I said we have a home there and we visit every single year for 1-2 months at a time.

Ireland doesn't give citizenship based on marriage. Only based on residency or birthright. We are not full time resident in Ireland since we got married, though as I said we have a home there and we visit every single year for 1-2 months at a time.

So your wife doesn't satisfy the residency requirement, maybe after this is over you should try to address the situation. The part about an American is irrelevant tbh.

So your wife doesn't satisfy the residency requirement, maybe after this is over you should try to address the situation. The part about an American is irrelevant tbh.

We don't need residency for her right now. We need a type c visa for her so that the spouse of an Irish person and the mother of two Irish boys can accompany her family to Ireland for a short stay if we have an emergency.

You say the point about the American is irrelevant. It isn't. How can it be right that such a person can waltz into Ireland at any time despite having no living connection to the country yet a mother / spouse of Irish citizens cannot?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Jesus talk about kicking a man when he's down.

Maybe they don't want to live in Ireland because they are happy where they are living now. You know, the reason his wife could get citizenship.

We don't need residency for her right now. We need a type c visa for her so that the spouse of an Irish person and the mother of two Irish boys can accompany her family to Ireland for a short stay if he have an emergency.

You say the point about the American is irrelevant. It isn't. How can it be right that such a person can waltz into Ireland at any time despite having no living connection to the country yet a mother / spouse of Irish citizens cannot?

It is irrelevant , as the grandparent rule is totally different to marrying someone from outside of Ireland or the EU, surely you were aware of this before your marriage? Your wife can become a citizen but she needs meet certain criteria. Best to address your situation after this is over.

Jesus Christ

It is irrelevant , as the grandparent rule is totally different to marrying someone from outside of Ireland or the EU, surely you were aware of this before your marriage? Your wife can become a citizen but she needs meet certain criteria. Best to address your situation after this is over.

I don't get into p.issing contests with toxic, patronizing posters. Ignore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭Tazz T

You're well named.

Tazz T wrote: »
    You're well named.

My bad I should have said the state is wrong and we should throw away our emigration laws . Is that better?

• Advertisement

Me and my two little boys are Irish and we live in the middle east. My wife of nine years - their mother - is from SE Asia and lives with us the middle east.

that is harsh, but you can come, while your wife is waiting a week or so for a visa.
    my friends husband is Australian, he got a phone call to say his father was dying of cancer. The Australian authorities told him even if he could get a flight (slim chance) He would still have to mandatory quaratine in a hotel, so he wouldn't have made it in time.
    Its the way of the world at the mo i'm afraid, it is really hard for families.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement