Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you travel? [Mod Note in Post #1 - Travel Discussion Only! Megathread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

faceman wrote: »
    I was thinking about this today. The topic. If Ireland ends up with a more drastic and prolonged travel curtailment than other EU countries it could result in a brain drain. It has already happened to some degree as many non native workers returned to their home countries. Eventually it will impact FDI and then the paddies

That’s a worst cases scenario of course

Where are they going to go?

Somewhere that strict travel restrictions have resulted in people being able to live a normal non lockdown life internally

I mean the world is awash with excess jobs and that's only going to get better this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

I was thinking about this today. The topic. If Ireland ends up with a more drastic and prolonged travel curtailment than other EU countries it could result in a brain drain. It has already happened to some degree as many non native workers returned to their home countries. Eventually it will impact FDI and then the paddies

Yep. It is happening and the idiots are cheering it on. Not realising that demonising people on a flight is actually extremely sad for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yep. It is happening and the idiots are cheering it on. Not realising that demonising people on a flight is actually extremely sad for society.

Sending an RTE camera crew up to the Airport ready to pounce on a group of passengers for the entertainment of the public is the modern equivalent of Pitchforks at Dawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,172 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Sending an RTE camera crew up to the Airport ready to pounce on a group of passengers for the entertainment of the public is the modern equivalent of Pitchforks at Dawn!

Do you think there should be a blind eye turned to it?

What about the reports of the people coming in through Belfast over Christmas? Should that have been hushed up as well?

Keeling bringing in fruit pickers last year? (actually essential workers btw)

More staff being brought in to work minimum wage in meat factories? (more essential workers)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The media have been speaking to bars in Lanzarote and speaking to staff members today. They asked one bar to confirm that there were Irish tourists in the bar over Christmas and New Year.

But the staff then said it's much quiter out there now. Most tourists have returned home.

The media really are pushing and pushing. They are so desperately attempting to create a frenzy and an unnecessary level of outrage over a load of hyped up nonsense.

Irish citizens have arrived home with a PCR test. Wow what a story.

• Advertisement

What about the reports of the people coming in through Belfast over Christmas? Should that have been hushed up as well?

More staff being brought in to work minimum wage in meat factories? (more essential workers)

Good man. Showing some broader views in this post which go beyond the virus.

RobitTV wrote: »
    The media have been speaking to bars in Lanzarote and speaking to staff members today. They asked one bar to confirm that there were Irish tourists in the bar over Christmas and New Year.

But the staff then said it's much quiter out there now. Most tourists have returned home.

The media really are pushing and pushing. They are so desperately attempting to create a frenzy and an unnecessary level of outrage over a load of hyped up nonsense.

Irish citizens have arrived home with a PCR test. Wow what a story.

Horrible behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Anyone tempted to emigrate?

If the travel restrictions become permanent ( i suspect they will because of the just in case a new variant emerges bs) especially after we are all vaccinated and if we keep going into lockdowns it’s bye bye Ireland. When the USA get their vaccinations done that’s where i will go. But if the above situation improves i might consider staying.

Good man. Showing some broader views in this post which go beyond the virus.

It was a question about the media coverage. Not about the stories themselves.

I'm wondering whether the people who want to see stories about the lanzarote holiday people hushed up would also want the other ones hushed up.

They were also stories in the news over the last year related to corona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭Dr. Em

The Schengen zone has been restricting travel from most all non-EU countries for months. Ireland and the UK were outliers for having few checks until recently. The new restrictions are actually just putting us in line with several other Schengen countries. And for those looking at the US, they are still banning travel from the EU.

• Advertisement

It was a question about the media coverage. Not about the stories themselves.

I'm wondering whether the people who want to see stories about the lanzarote holiday people hushed up would also want the other ones hushed up.

They were also stories in the news over the last year related to corona.

I apologise if I jumped to conclusions.

I worry about our demonising of all these marginal issues in the greater scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

You know what else is an infringement of civil liberties? Death

The chances of death in life is 100%, unfortunately

Micky 32 wrote: »
    If the travel restrictions become permanent ( i suspect they will because of the just in case a new variant emerges bs) especially after we are all vaccinated and if we keep going into lockdowns it’s bye bye Ireland. When the USA get their vaccinations done that’s where i will go. But if the above situation improves i might consider staying.

Before you make the move, you should check whether the difference would make it worth it for you.

I lived there and still have friends there and, from what they tell me, it doesn't seem to be a whole lot different there in terms of work/life in general.

Apart from the fact that it is even more rampant in parts of the country there and they don't seem to have as much interest in trying to control it.

You will have to wait until the US lifts its travel ban - a ban that includes Ireland.

I apologise if I jumped to conclusions.

I worry about our demonising of all these marginal issues in the greater scheme of things.

No that's fair enough. My post mightn't have been clear. I was only asking about the media coverage. Not debating the issues themselves.

I think the media can report whatever story it likes as long as it just tells the facts. If RTE were up filming people coming home for Christmas in 2019 then nobody would mind being filmed.

Before you make the move, you should check whether the difference would make it worth it for you.

I lived there and still have friends there and, from what they tell me, it doesn't seem to be a whole lot different there in terms of work/life in general.

Apart from the fact that it is even more rampant in parts of the country there and they don't seem to have as much interest in trying to control it.

If i move It won’t be until the vaccination program is complete over there. I have a lot of family over there and i have been going over and back a few times a year for the last 15 years.

With permanent travel bans and lockdowns on the cards in this country despite the vaccines i feel the states would be a better place to be but the decision won’t be taken lightly, i’ll see how it pans out here in the next year.. I have no ties etc here anyway.

Dr. Em wrote: »
    You will have to wait until the US lifts its travel ban - a ban that includes Ireland.

I can become a US citizen.

If i move It won’t be until the vaccination program is complete over there. I have a lot of family over there and i have been going over and back a few times a year for the last 15 years.

With permanent travel bans and lockdowns on the cards in this country despite the vaccines i feel the states would be a better place to be but the decision won’t be taken lightly, i’ll see how it pans out here in the next year.. I have no ties etc here anyway.

If you have status there and status here then you can move back and forth whenever.

I know that if I had been still there, I would be sick to be stuck there and it would have definitely made me up sticks and move home. Not because I thought somehow that some difference in corona restrictions were worth the move. Just because I wouldn't want to be stuck there and wouldn't mind nearly as much being even more restricted at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Spend two weeks in Mexico and you can then enter the USA, however with the aggressive stance out of the Biden administration I can't see it lasting too long more

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

This travel bull**** is an absolute disgrace, absolute red herring and a pure media supported distraction to stop people looking into their numerous planning failures of those managing the situation.

I can't believe i supported the first lockdown last year and this pack of lying bastards in government.. wait for the numbers to go down so the services can cope, it's just another month, it's just the wet pubs it's just this is just that, it's just until the vaccine gets here...

****ing bollox - bull**** the lot of it. These restrictions are obviously here to stay.

The nutter conspiracies are becoming more and more plausible by the day.

Even when we're all vaccinated, the profile they've picked to report (85 plus years old, covid "related" death) will still by dying (assuming we don't find a vaccine that provides immortality), giving them all the ammo they need to just keep the restrictions going.

**** them, enough is enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

Leo Varadkar has told his party after March 5th if conditions allow Ireland could go “to Level 4 or Level 4 with modifications”

Not much difference between the two. Although the "stay in your county" restriction may return instead of the 5km rule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Nailed it. The frenzy over Keelings was insane. At first it was the ‘rona riddled workers from some far off land. Then it was the question over why Irish people weren’t hired when 15% of the Irish workforce was unemployed.

And then it emerged keelings that advertised the roles on job sites In Ireland and couldn’t get the staff

Put the media lapped it up pushing to create a real story

The real story was that even faced with unemployment, Irish people won’t do low skilled work and xenophobia

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

haha really! prob because some of your friends just hung out with Irish people, worked for irish people, went to Irish pubs, ate at Irish restaurants LOL

I have lived abroad in various countries for many years and they are not just like Ireland

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

you are assuming the posters citizenship

theguzman wrote: »
    Spend two weeks in Mexico and you can then enter the USA, however with the aggressive stance out of the Biden administration I can't see it lasting too long more

Mexico is turning back non-essential travel too. They might let you through if you are moving, but they could also put you straight back on a plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,618 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well Trump, if there was no camera crew up there to pounce on people you wouldn't know would you?

I can become a US citizen.

or can travel with your spouse if they are a us citizen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Now the latest in the media is “half of Dublin arrivals are returning from “holiday”

However, that’s not the reality. The reality is they arrived half arrived from holiday destinations but that doesn’t mean they were all on holiday.

And the figure? 397 from holiday hot spots

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

What US travel ban? you mean for tourists? not for citizens, or spouses of citizens.. plenty (not as much as usual obviously) of Irish people living in USA travelled home for Christmas and returned.

• Advertisement

This travel bull**** is an absolute disgrace, absolute red herring and a pure media supported distraction to stop people looking into their numerous planning failures of those managing the situation.

I can't believe i supported the first lockdown last year and this pack of lying bastards in government.. wait for the numbers to go down so the services can cope, it's just another month, it's just the wet pubs it's just this is just that, it's just until the vaccine gets here...

****ing bollox - bull**** the lot of it. These restrictions are obviously here to stay.

The nutter conspiracies are becoming more and more plausible by the day.

Even when we're all vaccinated, the profile they've picked to report (85 plus years old, covid "related" death) will still by dying (assuming we don't find a vaccine that provides immortality), giving them all the ammo they need to just keep the restrictions going.

**** them, enough is enough

boards.ie is great for an ole rant. feels good :)) let it out!!!!

AWWWWWWWW

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement