Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactly is happening with AstraZeneca?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:
    You may as well be getting your news from the village idiot. Publication aside, look at the other "stories" written by that journalist. :D

That was the first article on Google, there's many more. It was on the radio the other day
    You are free to use the Google machine yourself and see

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah FFS, the Express. How naive are you, all their stories are made up ****.

was expecting Oirish eh Irish Freedom Party press release or whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

fly_agaric wrote: »

Ffs, look yourself at the other publications.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

Without seeing a breakdown of their R&D spending, we won't know to what extent the EU funded their research, but €336 million is not loose change and would have gone a long way into the R&D for the vaccine.

No Boris, I don't. But I do know the EU are usually conservative and cautious when making public statements. The temperature only rises when a clear breach of a contract is threatened, such as when the UK declared their intention to break international law on an agreement signed by the the very PM who planned to break it.

Typo. I meant a billion

Time will tell. My suspicion is the UK are getting theirs from the UK and EU factories. AZ is headquartered in London, so it wouldn't be surprising to learn that the EU doses were redirected to the UK to increase UK supply after delays with other suppliers.

Sorry but you’ve lost me at correcting my typo of two letters. EDT to each other than having to correct your own typo of completely different words!

The EU are not usually conservative what a load of rubbish!

Then there your comments based on suspicion!! So made up then!

And don’t call me Boris please, just because we have a difference of opinion there’s no need to be an idiot is there!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Given the slow pace of approval from the EMA, did Astra Zeneca sell what it had to those who wanted it and would take it and then got short because of supply disruptions when the EU came looking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

That was the first article on Google, there's many more. It was on the radio the other day
    You are free to use the Google machine yourself and see

You're the one making the assertion, so back it up with legitimate, credible sources. Asking others to do the looking for you is not how it works.

Anecdotally I heard on the radio 2 weeks ago that we are free to make our own vaccine deals if we so choose.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 31,973 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

PCeeeee wrote: »
    But I think the contract will still go ahead i
    I'm saying. You believe it'll be cancelled?
    It will still go ahead I would say they will just use that vaccine for those under 65 if it's true.

Luckily the EU has bought lots of other vaccines....the UK hasn't as far as I can see? 100 million astrazeneca...

Danzy wrote: »
    Given the slow pace of approval from the EMA, did Astra Zeneca sell what it had to those who wanted it and would take it and then got short because of supply disruptions when the EU came looking.

The EU aren’t looking though, they’ve still got another 4 days before they even say whether they approve its use! And now the German press are slagging it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

fly_agaric wrote: »

Your email subscriptions aside, it is in more than the Express.

You're the one making the assertion, so back it up with legitimate, credible sources. Asking others to do the looking for you is not how it works.

Anecdotally I heard on the radio 2 weeks ago that we are free to make our own vaccine deals if we so choose.
    We aren't I think...Germany got a rap on the knuckles for doing side deals
    https://www.politico.eu/article/germanys-coronavirus-vaccine-side-deal-at-odds-with-legally-binding-eu-pact/

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    It will still go ahead I would say they will just use that vaccine for those under 65 if it's true.

Luckily the EU has bought lots of other vaccines....the UK hasn't as far as I can see? 100 million astrazeneca...

And 40 million Pfizer. Enough for the country.

EU have a ordered 2.4 billion, enough for 2.5 times the EU population.....be a bit of a shame if they waste 1.6 billion doses poorer countries could have saved lives with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

gmisk wrote: »

I agree too. The other poster seemed to think it would be cancelled as part of some EU v UK political carry on.

I agree too. The other poster seemed to think it would be cancelled as part of some EU v UK political carry on.
    The EU wouldn't be that short sighted, they aren't as petty as the UK....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

Depending on the contract, approval may not be relevant.

If AZ agreed to deliver X number of doses by a certain time, then they are legally bound to do so.

It may be that AZ decided they don't have enough doses to fulfill all their contracts, so decided EU would be the easiest one to fail to deliver in terms of penalties for breach of contract.

This may actually be a result of poor negotiations by the EU.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,489 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

AZ didn't make it's submission to the EU until after the UK had approved it. My suspicion would be they were under some influence to get the UK rollout moving quickly

If you’re referring to my post then perhaps read it again.....Twas sarcasm!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,112 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yes to this!

If someone gave me 10euro to make a garden planter. I made it and its ready yet they don't know when they want to collect it, or if they even want to collect it. Do I keep it there in the hopes the buyer takes it eventually, or do I sell it on and make another for the original buyer when he decides he wants it. Tbh, id give the original buyer his money back because nobody wants to be messed around.

It's a standard form of contract. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Option_contract .

Although possibly not used as much in the garden planter business as it might be in multi-million or multi-billion agreements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

If you’re referring to my post then perhaps read it again.....Twas sarcasm!

Apologies if so. I'm finding it hard to tell what point you're making apart from the overwhelming impression you don't like the EU much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

uk will look like right t1ts if the 8 per cent efficency thing is true

• Advertisement

Apologies if so. I'm finding it hard to tell what point you're making apart from the overwhelming impression you don't like the EU much.

Ah so it was a tee up to a dig! Nice one!

So because I’ve got criticisms of how some of this has been handled by the EU you don’t know what point I’m making.

I’ve not used long complicated words so it’s difficult to understand how you’re confused, but then if you don’t get sarcasm then not much more I can do. Good luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your email subscriptions aside, it is in more than the Express.

Doesn't stop it being Ray Bassett, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,249 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Do people criticising the EU feel the independence of the EMA should be undermined to force faster approvals or what?

It's difficult to see any other option that might have sped this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Sorry but you’ve lost me at correcting my typo of two letters. EDT to each other than having to correct your own typo of completely different words!

finding the research and funding the research are different, correct? I think it's only proper to correct typos wherever possible.
    The EU are not usually conservative what a load of rubbish!

Riiight. Good counter-argument.
    Then there your comments based on suspicion!! So made up then!

Not quite. Let me help you out.

Suspicion (noun)
    "a feeling or thought that something is possible, likely, or true"
    And don’t call me Boris please, just because we have a difference of opinion there’s no need to be an idiot is there!

If you can't handle it, don't dish it out.

You quite rudely suggested (incorrectly) that I believed everything a politician says. That was an attack on my intelligence and was deserving of a response. On the contrary, I have very little trust for politicians, but there are cultures and patterns that can be expected from politicians based in different countries. The Brits are full of bravado and the EU are tight lipped and far more composed.

Stay Free

L1011 wrote: »
    Doesn't stop it being Ray Bassett, though.
    Utter clown.
    https://brexitcentral.com/author/ray-bassett/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭blackcard

Nope, I read the whole article, the article exclaiming the it’s only 8% effective in over 65’s......the first anyone’s ever said about it and amazingly missed by the U.K. scientists who are some of the best in the world!

It stinks IMO.
    What countries have approved AZ to date apart from the UK?

noodler wrote: »
    Do people criticising the EU feel the independence of the EMA should be undermined to force faster approvals or what?

It's difficult to see any other option that might have sped this up.
    I think people should think...would they trust the EMA...or the UK equivalent under heavy pressure from a Tory government (who would love a British developed vaccine...)to make an honest and measured decision on the efficacy of a vaccine?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

AstraZeneca are refuting the claims regarding efficacy.

https://twitter.com/DarrenEuronews/status/1353818546812420098

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

good news for "younger" people I guess

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

blackcard wrote: »
    What countries have approved AZ to date apart from the UK?
    Not many I think apart from emergency use...

Advertisement