Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop is refusing to refund bicycle?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

I'm not interested in staying fit, I need a means of getting in and out of work.

Just pop down to your local car dealer and buy a new car and when you're finished with it you can return it and get your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭qb123

As a matter of interest, why don't you regard the commute as practical? Have you tried it on the bike? As you're stuck with it, it might be best to see if you can make it work for you before offloading it at a large loss. (and no, company will continue to deduct the amount monthly from your pay - you can't give them the money back.)

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

qb123 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, why don't you regard the commute as practical? Have you tried it on the bike? As you're stuck with it, it might be best to see if you can make it work for you before offloading it at a large loss. (and no, company will continue to deduct the amount monthly from your pay - you can't give them the money back.)

It ends up being a 12k commute every day and I find I'm exhausted by the time I get to work, not to mention the cold and rain. I just don't think it's practical in this country and there are no amenities for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

It seems you're stuck with the bike - or best case scenario you'll have to sell on the second hand market. I'd suggest two things:

1. See if anyone on here would be interested in buying the bike - there's generally good interest in picking up a bargain.

2. Shed some light on why commuting is not practical - there may well be some good suggestions that might help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I'm not interested in staying fit, I need a means of getting in and out of work.

Regardless of what your preferences in the situation are, the shop sold it and cannot sell it as new again, it would have to be sold as second hand. There is zero reason for them to take it back.

You entered into a contract and now you must abide by it. This is what being an adult and entering into contracts entails. You may lose money if you choose to sell it, well that's the luck of the draw.

• Advertisement

dmc17 wrote: »
    Just pop down to your local car dealer and buy a new car and when you're finished with it you can return it and get your money back

Smart arse. I was trying to return the bike within a few weeks not years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

That's a ridiculous analogy.

It’s a little cheesy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Still a second hand bike. You can't just buy something, use it then decide you don't want it and expect the shop to refund you. The retail world would never survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

One of the strangest threads I have seen in a while.

OBVIOUS TROLL ffs

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Still a second hand bike. You can't just buy something, use it then decide you don't want it and expect the shop to refund you. The retail world would never survive.

That's not how I would run a business but I guess most don't see that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

It ends up being a 12k commute every day and I find I'm exhausted by the time I get to work, not to mention the cold and rain. I just don't think it's practical in this country and there are no amenities for cyclists.
    Presumably your employer hasn't moved since you got the bike, and the weather is as it always has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

Exact same principal applies, try returning a car after using it 3 times. Just face the facts you are trying to sell a second hand bike , simple as.
    Thus is all on you, you obviously didn't do proper research on logistics of commuting on a bike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

12k isnt all that much. Are you trying to do the 12k as quick as possible?

Get soem decent wet gear and you wont have an issue.

You wouldn't stay in business long.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Each way or in total work and back? Either way not too bad but just takes more than 3 trips to get used to it! Honestly get a set of waterproofs and you won't even notice the rain.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well tell us what business you open and we will try buy something off you and get a complete refund after using it a few times.

Kimbot wrote: »
    12k isnt all that much. Are you trying to do the 12k as quick as possible?

Get soem decent wet gear and you wont have an issue.

No it takes about an 50 minutes into work and then the 6k home is usually a little slower as I'm already tired from cycling in as well as working all day.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Each way or in total work and back? Either way not too bad but just takes more than 3 trips to get used to it! Honestly get a set of waterproofs and you won't even notice the rain.

It's more so the dangerous wet/icy roads, not to mention dangerous drivers etc.

No it takes about an 50 minutes into work and then the 6k home is usually a little slower as I'm already tired from cycling in as well as working all day.
    How have you been commuting so far?
    Could you cycle one way and bus the other until you get used to it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I thought the whole point of the bike to work scheme was for people to pay for bikes they will never use?

It's more so the dangerous wet/icy roads, not to mention dangerous drivers etc.

The dangerous wet/icy roads/dangerous drivers/whatever other pitfalls you come up with were always known to you when you made your decision to buy the bike.

wench wrote: »
    How have you been commuting so far?
    Could you cycle one way and bus the other until you get used to it?

I usually drive so it wouldn't be feesible as I'd have to leave my car in work to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

50 mins to go 6km? is it uphill both ways?

Doop wrote: »
    50 mins to go 6km? is it uphill both ways?

It's quite hilly yes although I get this is probably a smart arse comment.

I personally think it's bad form as it's not as if me having rode the bike a handful of times will impact their ability to sell it. Where as me forking out over 1k over the course of the year for a bike I can't use is obviously a big deal.

Ah come here, you bought the bike, the assembled it, you rode it, there IS wear and tear already, they are prohibited from selling it as new, and you think that it's there fault that you changed your mind?

There is no one here to blame but yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

On a very serious note, whilst you may think at this juncture 12km is exhausting, it truly is not, once you stick to it, in time as you get fitter, you will wonder why you ever thought it was exhausting. You will feel a lot better and will get enjoyment from it. You may even catch the bug and use it for other than commuting. You may even upgrade to a snazzy carbon jobbie.
    You really haven't given this any time at all, take a step back , deep breath.... forget you ever started this thread and give it a proper go.
    I am probably twice your age and i wouldn't bother getting on the bike for anything under 30 to 40km, waste of a shower. I'm hitting 64 this year.

I doubt that the distance was different before you bought the bike. You knew the distance before you bought the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 23,278 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you using the gears ? Just try it a few more times 6km should take no more than 20 minutes.

• Advertisement

Physicskid9..... when did you purchase the bike??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement