Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop is refusing to refund bicycle?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

07Lapierre wrote:
    CU? Credit Union? I can see how you'd be tired after a days work and a 12k cycle!

It's 6k each way. Which should only take 25 minutes max even when unfit. That's going about avg 15kph.

Op has actually given the reasons against cycling that demonstrate he needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You probably haven't a clue what kind of work is done behind the scenes.

OMG. You must be a half-blood teacher... They do a lot of work that nobody sees as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: To all posters, particularly the infrequent ones to the cycling forum. Snide and stupid remarks will be deleted and the poster banned going forward. I think the poster has had the original question answered but will leave the thread open for more general advice for them but I have better things to be doing than monitoring this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's 6k each way. Which should only take 25 minutes max even when unfit. That's going about avg 15kph.

Op has actually given the reasons against cycling that demonstrate he needs it.

I know. I should have put a ;) at the end of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,472 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

So the op thought could hand back a bike which he used To a shop who couldn't sell it as new and would be at a loss of revenue.
    He would then pocket the money his employer forked out and make a profit as the deductions have tax relief inbuilt.
    I can see how that wouldn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

OP; you've probably had enough of a roasting at this stage, so here's my advice (I work in a bike shop).

The bike you have is a very popular/sellable make/model.

New models of this bike are thin on the ground, even for bike shops, due to pandemic related shipping/global production difficulties.

I'm assuming, given that it's only been used three times, that it's less than a year old?

Some bike shops, especially those that carry lots of secondhand stock, will buy bikes for cash, provided you can supply legitimate receipts/proof or ownership...maybe drop by with the bike all shiny and ask if they're interested? If you don't ask, the answer is always 'no'.

Your bike, which is now secondhand (regardless of use/mileage) is now worth 75-80% of retail price when new...if it's only a few months old.

Selling privately and pricing accordingly, is also an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Kimbot wrote: »
    Well tell us what business you open and we will try buy something off you and get a complete refund after using it a few times.

Sex toy shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

Sex toy shop?

Ewwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

OP, this is the toughest time of the year for cycle commuting, so don’t be put off too much by the weather. It is easier in the summer. You don’t have to cycle every day. And I wouldn’t recommend cycling in icy conditions. Fifty minutes to do 6k is quite slow. Make sure you’re not making it more difficult by ensuring that the bike is set up properly for you. In particular, make sure the saddle is at the right height. Also, make sure your brakes aren’t rubbing. You should be able to lift either wheel up and give it a spin which should keep going for for a bit under its own momentum.

At the OP, if the spin is too long and you have a car, drive half way and pull the bike out of the boot. I know lots of people who do this, great way to beat the traffic on the last stretch and gives you the choice to not follow through if you don't feel up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,957 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Work in a local CU
    We're run off our feet with covid, staff out sick, working from home etc. Hiring young graduates who wouldn't work on batteries to cover them. It's just been hectic.
    While it may be hectic in your opinion, spare a thought for those actually at the coalface of this pandemic. It's not as if you are running out of ventilators and body bags at the credit union.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

OP Okay so we have established shop wont take bike back. As for others comparing your speed/times don't mind them, they are all in Tour De France this year.

This is too be honest a very bad time to start out cycling ,cold wet,frost,ice snow
    go by car till evening get longer warmer, and then try odd day on bike and enjoy your ride do not kill yourself regarding time or speed you will get used to it and just enjoy the outdoors and health benifits.

BTW is it mountain bike or road ?
    shorts will help or different saddle.

Keep bike and enjoy and get fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Something seriously amiss with this post .OP appears not to have researched in any way the distance he was hoping to cycle .
    Also seems like has no idea of how the bike to work scheme works .
    Although working in a financial industry it appears as if there is a lack of knowledge about value for money , second hand value and sale of goods.
    Down to the issue of cycling itself if the figures are correct the OP is cycling as another poster said @ approx 4.4 MPH which is fast walking pace .
    Perhaps if the OP has decided that cycling is not his thing then walking might be an option for the distance. A great way to get fit and you wont need as much equipment .
    Or perhaps this tread is just one big Troll.

Or perhaps this tread is just one big Troll.

MOD VOICE: Report posts, don't call it out in thread. Closed for tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement