Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop is refusing to refund bicycle?

Options
  • 25-01-2021 4:28pm
    Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭

I recently bought a giant content bike using the cycle to work scheme. Had intended on commuting but unfortunately now realise that it's not practical to do so.

The shop refuses to allow me to return the bicycle despite the fact it's only been cycled three times. Would it be possible to get my employer to stop making payments to the store from my wages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

If there is nothing wrong with the bike, they don't have to take it back.

For the bike to work, your employer will normally have paid them up front, and just reclaim it from you over the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Employer would have paid up front, so even if you had the right that wouldn't work. Under consumer law this would be a change of mind so there's no obligation for them to take it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,488 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A change of mind or circumstance in your commuting need does not allow you a right of return.

The shop sold you a bicycle that is perfectly fit for purpose.
    You have encountered a circumstance that has changed your need for the bike.

That's your problem, not the shops.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

wench wrote: »
    If there is nothing wrong with the bike, they don't have to take it back.

For the bike to work, your employer will normally have paid them up front, and just reclaim it from you over the year.

Yeah but I was hoping to return the bike and they could refund my employer. I really don't want to be making payments for a bike I won't use.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭ibebanging

Your employer pays for the bike up front then makes the deductions from your wages, so it would be your employer that you would be attempting not to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Seeing as there is nothing wrong with the bike there is no obligation on the bike shop to take it back... even less so now that its been used albeit only 3 times. Check your consumer rights.

Also have a read up about the bike to work scheme. Your employer has effectively 'lent' you the money for the bike, they have paid for it and are making the relevant deductions form your pay to facilitate you paying them back.

I'm afraid you've made your bed here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Yeah but I was hoping to return the bike and they could refund my employer. I really don't want to be making payments for a bike I won't use.

Probably easier to sell the bike privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I bought a bag of crisps and I ate a few of them but I didn't like them. Why won't Tesco take them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

That’s your issue not the shops .. the bike is now a used bike and I am sure all the paperwork has been done for the bike .
    Were you really expecting the shop to take the bike back?
    Try selling privately and keep the money to pay for it .

mfceiling wrote: »
    I bought a bag of crisps and I ate a few of them but I didn't like them. Why won't Tesco take them back?

That's a ridiculous analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

As has been said here, you've no right to expect the shop to take it back.

Your best bet is to sell it yourself.

ibebanging wrote: »
    Your employer pays for the bike up front then makes the deductions from your wages, so it would be your employer that you would be attempting not to pay.

If I sold the bike could I pay the money up front?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

mfceiling wrote: »

Because they are Dunnes Stores own brand :pac:

As has been said here, you've no right to expect the shop to take it back.

Your best bet is to sell it yourself.

Probably not going to be able to sell for the price I bought it though?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

You will have to ask your employer that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

You need to accept you are wrong here. You cannot buy something, then just decide you don't want it and demand a refund.

Some places may offer a change of mind refund, but that is purely good will. In the present climate with so many places struggling and or closed, I think you have no chance of getting them to change their minds claiming it would be goodwill.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

This might be a crazy suggestion - but why not keep the bike and use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

No but there’s a tax saving on the bike to work scheme isn’t there? This would off set some of the loss you’d have to take on the bike

Depending on your tax rate if you get half the price paid you break even.

You need to accept you are wrong here. You cannot buy something, then just decide you don't want it and demand a refund.

Some places may offer a change of mind refund, but that is purely good will. In the present climate with so many places struggling and or closed, I think you have no chance of getting them to change their minds claiming it would be goodwill.

I personally think it's bad form as it's not as if me having rode the bike a handful of times will impact their ability to sell it. Where as me forking out over 1k over the course of the year for a bike I can't use is obviously a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭wench

Probably best not to, it would mess up the tax free status

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭dmc17

Neither will the shop

thejaguar wrote: »
    This might be a crazy suggestion - but why not keep the bike and use it?

If you'd read my initial post I already said it's simply not practical.

I personally think it's bad form as it's not as if me having rode the bike a handful of times will impact their ability to sell it. Where as me forking out over 1k over the course of the year for a bike I can't use is obviously a big deal.

Its now a second hand bike so the value has dropped. The shop are not going to refund you the full price and try sell a second hand bike on at full cost!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

You've not much sense. You're not seeing clearly. This is your mistake and your problem, not the bike shop.

If the bike's price was €2000, you could conceivably sell it for €1500. Given that your employer will pay half of the original cost, you'll actually make a profit here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Of course it will affect their ability to sell the bike. They have to sell it as a second hand bike.

You dont need to use it for commuting, use it for staying fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thejaguar

It might not be practical to commute but you can still use the bike. It could be the start of something wonderful...

Kimbot wrote: »
    You dont need to use it for commuting, use it for staying fit.

I'm not interested in staying fit, I need a means of getting in and out of work.

• Advertisement

Took me a week or two to get used to it myself, maybe if you keep at it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement