Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shop is refusing to refund bicycle?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭Physicskid9

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Sell the bike.
    You've already saved 40% probably on the cost, so you'll make money or at least break even.

But yeh, you've made your bed.
    You can't return the bike any more than you can return a pair of shoes after you used them a few times.

RE the cycle, it's always tough starting to cycle to work. I was bate after a 9km each way cycle the first week or two. You need to get out even a few times, then it's a breeze.
    Don't even break a sweat now.

Have already said I will give the cycling a go thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

You probably haven't a clue what kind of work is done behind the scenes.

Enlighten me. I work in an office myself.

thejaguar wrote: »
    Do tell.....

We're run off our feet with covid, staff out sick, working from home etc. Hiring young graduates who wouldn't work on batteries to cover them. It's just been hectic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

3 page thread on a consumer making a bad purchase.

Mondays are slow round here!!!!

I will give the cycling a go for awhile now as it looks like I won't have a choice.

Fair play. Listen, regarding the difficulty, it gets easier, a lot easier, the more you do the journey.

You stated 6k taking 50 mins. Thats an avg speed of 7.1kph. I would honestly find it difficult to go that slow even going uphill. A bit of background, I'm not far off 50, smoker for wayyyy too long and obese. Believe me when I say you will get a hell of a buzz out of cycling, especially when you feel yourself starting to get fitter and the journey easier.

When I climbed back on to the bike after a near 20 year gap, I was SLOW and incredibly unfit. It was torture, but very quickly things started to turn around to the point that I ended up selling the car and I now survive off walking, cycling & public transport for my mobility and I've never been healthier. Not saying I'm fit, I'm a long way off that, but a 10km walk or a 40km cycling appeals to me a lot more than the thoughts of sitting in a car to do the same journey.

Take this for what it is, an opportunity to do something mundane (commuting) in a more beneficial manner.

Oh and get good, breathable, quick on/off, rain gear. Something that will pack away somewhat smallish for carrying around. It'll make the worst downpours just a minor inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭dahat

We're run off our feet with covid, staff out sick, working from home etc. Hiring young graduates who wouldn't work on batteries to cover them. It's just been hectic.

Same as any other office based job or any job for that matter.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Thats how most of our places of work are at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,659 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Probably not going to be able to sell for the price I bought it though?

You'll still likely get more for it since you didn't pay tax on the cost of the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭secman

You probably haven't a clue what kind of work is done behind the scenes.

I'm an accountant for my sins, FC of a medium sized service company in Construction. I know all about mental tiredness...but cycling is great for that, trust me its a great way to switch off. Go and enjoy it.
    As someone else said, no such thing as bad weather just wrong clothing, invest in some kit, much more enjoyable.

Get lights and a helmet.

If you are going out cycling in the evenings/early morning at this time of year, use LIGHTS.

• Advertisement

Fair play. Listen, regarding the difficulty, it gets easier, a lot easier, the more you do the journey.

You stated 6k taking 50 mins. Thats an avg speed of 7.1kph. I would honestly find it difficult to go that slow even going uphill. A bit of background, I'm not far off 50, smoker for wayyyy too long and obese. Believe me when I say you will get a hell of a buzz out of cycling, especially when you feel yourself starting to get fitter and the journey easier.

When I climbed back on to the bike after a near 20 year gap, I was SLOW and incredibly unfit. It was torture, but very quickly things started to turn around to the point that I ended up selling the car and I now survive off walking, cycling & public transport for my mobility and I've never been healthier. Not saying I'm fit, I'm a long way off that, but a 10km walk or a 40km cycling appeals to me a lot more than the thoughts of sitting in a car to do the same journey.

Take this for what it is, an opportunity to do something mundane (commuting) in a more beneficial manner.

Oh and get good, breathable, quick on/off, rain gear. Something that will pack away somewhat smallish for carrying around. It'll make the worst downpours just a minor inconvenience.

Fair play, do you use the padded shorts? Find the seat very uncomfortable but I'm assuming that gets better with time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

mfceiling wrote: »
    I bought a bag of crisps and I ate a few of them but I didn't like them. Why won't Tesco take them back?

You probably have a better chance of getting a refund on those circumstances.
    In aldi they'll take back the crisps if you're not entirely satisfied.

As for the bike.. go on outta that.. on yet bike

dahat wrote: »
    Same as any other office based job or any job for that matter.

You asked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I will give the cycling a go for awhile now as it looks like I won't have a choice.

The more you do it, the easier it'll get. You just have to keep at it.

Fair play, do you use the padded shorts? Find the seat very uncomfortable but I'm assuming that gets better with time too.

Yes, use padded shorts... most modern bike saddles are designed with Padded shorts in mind.

I've thought about getting them many times but usually only remember it while I'm about 1 hr into a long spin lol, I usually forget about them after I get off the bike.

I manage fine without them for the most part but probably will invest in a pair at some stage.

Before covid I was seriously thinking about getting into bike touring and had picked up 2 bags for kit, a small tent etc. If I ever get the chance to do that (post covid) then yes I will likely need to invest in a pair of padded shorts.

To be honest, the biggest issues I had were related to keeping hydrated and fueled. I found it incredibly difficult to get that right on longer (40-60km) spins. But I'm guessing that comes with practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

It ends up being a 12k commute every day and I find I'm exhausted by the time I get to work, not to mention the cold and rain. I just don't think it's practical in this country and there are no amenities for cyclists.

From Artane to Dundrum is about that distance. I got cheesed off with the car journeys getting longer and longer, and some time in my forties, unfit and a smoker, I got up on my teenage son's bike and tried out the bicycle. Because the bike was a tiny bit small for me, it was a killer. Got a proper sized "town and country " bike which I loved. After a few months, was so used to it that I loved it. Great stress buster after a sh!tty day (of which there were many). Now, I NEVER cycled for the pleasure of it, simply as a means of transport. In about 15 years of cycling I had two skirmishes, white van man an an artic. In both cases my awareness and reactions saved me. My view has always been "its no good being in the right if you're flattened". My journey took me 55 minutes when I started out. got it down to about 42, and ONCE did it in 39, but nearly had a heart attack.

Keep the bike, use it, it'll get easier, and you'll be surprised how safe cycling actually is, but remain alert. AND with the right gear, the weather won't matter. Finally, you'll always be able to know how long it'll take to get to work. Another stress reliever.

Good luck, persevere.

Yeah but I was hoping to return the bike and they could refund my employer. I really don't want to be making payments for a bike I won't use.

cannot be a genuine request.

You are suggetsing that shops take products back after they have been used and because the buyer simple decided that they wont bother using it anymore.

FYI 6km is pretty short. Im overweight and on my feet 12 hours a day, I manage to cycle 10km return. Theres no way I could justify such a short drive to work outside of terrible weather conditions.

When I worked further away, 16km each way I admit the bike hibernated in the winter. it was just too miserable but honestly, after a while the fitness will improve and on a nice summer evening you will enjoy the cycle home much better than sitting bumper to bumper going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I recently bought a giant content bike using the cycle to work scheme. Had intended on commuting but unfortunately now realise that it's not practical to do so.

You can still use it to cycle after work, right?
    The shop refuses to allow me to return the bicycle despite the fact it's only been cycled three times.

So it is a used bike now. Worth probably 70% of what a new one was.
    Would it be possible to get my employer to stop making payments to the store from my wages?

No. The bike has been paid in full already.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

It ends up being a 12k commute every day and I find I'm exhausted by the time I get to work, not to mention the cold and rain. I just don't think it's practical in this country and there are no amenities for cyclists.

I can understand why this would put you off, but think it's worth persevering. Your fitness levels will build up over a few weeks to the stage where you'd find to quite easy. To start, maybe cycle slower so that you're not as tired when you get to work. The weather is something you just get used to, generally a question of having the right gear - there's many threads on the cycling forum about proper gear and designing logistics for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

qb123 wrote: »
    I can understand why this would put you off, but think it's worth persevering. Your fitness levels will build up over a few weeks to the stage where you'd find to quite easy. To start, maybe cycle slower so that you're not as tired when you get to work. The weather is something you just get used to, generally a question of having the right gear - there's many threads on the cycling forum about proper gear and designing logistics for work.

How would a 6k commute put anyone off... for a fit cyclist its 10 -12 minutes. For a really really unfit cyclist its 20-30 minutes... even that's a short commute time

What about tyres, is there specific one for sub zero temperatures?

Personally, and its just me, I wouldnt cycle if I thought the roads were going to be slippy with ice.

How would a 6k commute put anyone off... for a fit cyclist its 10 -12 minutes. For a really really unfit cyclist its 20-30 minutes... even that's a short commute time

The current weather conditions would put anyone off cycling into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Fair play.

I understand there can be N number of issues with cycling that one didn't realise before actually buying and riding the thing. It could be a bad junction or blind turns, narrow roads, awful traffic, a major hill or even be anti-social neighborhood that you have to cycle thru. These could be seriously challenging for someone who is not used to cycling trying to deal with it in one go.

I think all good points have been made already - perhaps try and get used to cycling by doing it over weekends when you are not under pressure. And within weeks you may feel more comfortable to commute and feel less tired when you get to work / home. Also make sure the bike is good fit - and you invest in some basics like padded shorts, warm gloves and rain protection - and good lights.

If nothing works, you can easily sell it on here / adverts etc. Plenty of demand for good bikes. Best of luck in any case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Are you out of your mind? What a question.

That's not how I would run a business but I guess most don't see that way.

You wouldn’t last long running a business the way you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

No. You need to wait until temperatures move up a bit so that icy patches are gone. So tomorrow on should be ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I run ice tyres over the Winter. Heavier and a bit slower but do the job well in icy conditions. For 6k each way they'd be grand, less than 20 minutes each way at a rather modest pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭NeuralNetwork

There's a common misconception that retailers have to take unwanted items back. They don't.
    A lot of them do accept exchanges or returns just to encourage repeat business, especially places like clothing retailers.

However, they're under no obligation whatsoever to do so unless the item is fault and even then they can offer remedies like repair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement