Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People who tested positive, how are you feeling?

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

There are lots of other people being tested - people in hospitals, workers in hospitals, private tests, private tests for travel and I think they've reintroduced some of the contact testing and routine testing of vulnerable places.

When we were really only testing symptomatic people the numbers rose to 1in4 positive.

Even if 10,000 out are those of essential workers/travel/no symptoms

What do the other 8,000 people that dont have Covid have when tested?

Are colds and flus still more common right now than Covid19 is my question?

And if so how? Isn't Covid19 way more contagious with little natural immunity, shouldn't that be in greater circulation than cold and flu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Dr Sandhya Ramanathan is an Auckland-based GP who published an 18-minute YouTube video guide to managing mild cases of Covid-19 last June and watched it take off almost overnight. Her video has been viewed millions of times on social media platforms and was this week described as empowering and fascinating by doctors much closer to home.

Might be worth bookmarking this

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/covid-19-how-to-look-after-yourself-if-you-catch-the-virus-1.4465085

• Site Banned Posts: 54 ✭✭Itsaduck1

Itsaduck1 wrote: »
    Wife is waiting on test results today, has all the symptoms, no smell, taste, small cough

Our GP said its more than likely Covid as no flu or colds around and most are testing positive from her referrals

Been reading up on Covid and asking questions last few days and how can the GP come to that conclusion?

Positivity is 10% right now?

2000 positives out 20,000 tests

Only people with symptoms being tested, so those 18,000 must have some kind of flu or cold if they have symptoms, that means cold and flu is around?

She has a 1 in 10 chance of being positive pure number wise?

Wife has it :(

So much for that 1 in 10 chance

Can't believe it tbh, it's just a cold so far, hopefully it stays that way

Ficheall wrote: »
    Poster was apparently concerned at an incomplete picture skewing the data to make the disease seem more serious than it is (due to a cohort of people for whom covid apparently has had the effect that not only are they fine now, they have also become so productive that they're not posting on boards) - I was just pointing out some other missing data. Obviously I would hope no boardsies have died of covid.

Yes I'm sure you were just pointing that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Dressoutlet

snowcat wrote: »
    There is definitely another cold/flu around because i have it and all my family too. We have been tested and negative. Its not severe, typical cold flu symptoms. Wife is reporting a changed sense of taste but has tested neg. 2-3 weeks now with symptoms. There is no way 20k people are being tested daily with no symptoms.

My friend was tested yesterday as a close contact and has loss of smell and change of taste and she got a negative result this afternoon. She says she feels all stuffed up and thinks she has a sinus infection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

I tested positive around April/May, at the time is kind of rough. One or two of the days particularly bad, however, looking back I think the lack of understanding of the virus at the time added to my stress about it.

Few months on, I’m feeling the healthiest I’ve ever been. I lost 25kg from running and eatting healthy. No long lasting effects for me whatsoever.

I’m 32 (for context!)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭picturehangup

Wife has it :(

So much for that 1 in 10 chance

Can't believe it tbh, it's just a cold so far, hopefully it stays that way

Sorry to hear that, Itsaduck1.

For me, whilst I had a bit of a cough, headache and fever, I found endless cups of tea, Bridgerton and The Queen's Gambit all very distracting from the shock of testing positive very comforting! I was worried as I'm asthmatic and 54 years old.

Wishing your wife and everyone else testing positive a swift recovery.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

kenmc wrote: »
    Reads more to me like "go get a couple of different tests in different places and pick the result that suits your needs best"
    Exactly. It's all this irresponsible unnecessary travel over Christmas that's got us into this mess with imported new variants.

But there's no getting through to some folk. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Well lads I'm finally on the way home, on the train from Málaga to Sevilla. I tested positive on the 2nd of Jan having had symptoms the 26th and 27th of December.

I tried again in the bons in Tralee the 13th of Jan and tested positive again but they rang me up and said the virus was very weak in my body and I'm not contagious and to come back again next week.

Of course me being me I panicked and saw that the Lamp was less sensitive than the PCR and went up to Cork to do It with RocDoc. Tested positive with that and the swab was extremely quick also received a phone call saying I was positive and they didn't get into the nitty gritty details like the bons in Tralee. I had the sensation with the quickness that I got the results back that they just fired it into a machine and any slight virus material they just tested you positive.

Anyways on the train down my mum said why don't you try the bons again tomorrow morning. Went in tested negative and got on the plane yesterday. I had no symptoms thankfully since the 26 and 27th. I guess the point of my post is to avoid rocdoc if you can and go to a place where they have their own lab and a doctor has the last say on your test.

I'm trying to get my head around this one!

So you tested positive twice and travelled between Kerry and Cork and then onto Spain??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Mardyke wrote: »
    I'm trying to get my head around this one!

So you tested positive twice and travelled between Kerry and Cork and then onto Spain??

Yes I did my initial isolation period after my first positive. According to the HSE, my doctor in ireland and my spanish doctor i was not contagious when i travelled to Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Had it a few weeks ago and was grand, very mild symptoms for about a week, 💯 again. Rest of my family were much sicker though, luckily all grand again now.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Dont know your GP but you can’t speak for mine . She has seen patients throughout and been thorough and wonderful
    I will cheer when she gets the vaccine and might have the confidence to see her parents again .

My GP has been an absolute disgrace and after being a patient of the same surgery for nearly 40 years and my daughter since birth I will be looking for a new GP as soon as practicable.

I have not been able to get a face-to-face appointment since March and every time I ask for a phone consultation all I get is some random locum who doesn't know anything about my history. If I ask for my own doctor, I'm told he is not available. He is never available, it seems.

When getting the flu vaccine my daughter and I were left waiting outside on the footpath, in the rain, for 40 minutes after our appointments, no apologies.

I'm not the only one. I read the recent google reviews on the practice and they are shocking, and all telling the same story.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

My GP has been an absolute disgrace and after being a patient of the same surgery for nearly 40 years and my daughter since birth I will be looking for a new GP as soon as practicable.

I have not been able to get a face-to-face appointment since March and every time I ask for a phone consultation all I get is some random locum who doesn't know anything about my history. If I ask for my own doctor, I'm told he is not available. He is never available, it seems.

When getting the flu vaccine my daughter and I were left waiting outside on the footpath, in the rain, for 40 minutes after our appointments, no apologies.

I'm not the only one. I read the recent google reviews on the practice and they are shocking, and all telling the same story.

Thats dreadful and you are right to be angry . But anyone I know are very grateful for the work GPs have done so tarring them all with the same brush would be very unfair

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Thats dreadful and you are right to be angry . But anyone I know are very grateful for the work GPs have done so tarring them all with the same brush would be very unfair

Which is why I said MY.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Which is why I said MY.
    Apologies it was not you who posted about GPs in general

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Even if 10,000 out are those of essential workers/travel/no symptoms

What do the other 8,000 people that dont have Covid have when tested?

Are colds and flus still more common right now than Covid19 is my question?

And if so how? Isn't Covid19 way more contagious with little natural immunity, shouldn't that be in greater circulation than cold and flu?
    Well colds and flus won't magically go away because a new virus is in the mix. When old nasties like smallpox and the like were floating about people still caught colds and flus. IIRC the rhinoviruses that cause most "common colds" have an R0 of between 3 and 6, so way higher than Covid. Flus again IIRC are around 1.5, so closer to covid. Something like the measles which is fully airborne is way higher at around 16.

That said, the R0 value has a lot of variables, as we've seen with this covid pox and those figures are for freely mingling populations. Measures like social distancing, masks and hand hygiene make a huge difference to the number. Vaccination will make an even bigger difference. The same measures are going to affect other viruses in the population, so fewer people should get colds and flus as well.

Speaking entirely personal opinion here, I reckon there is some resistance in the population to covid19 and that's why it seems to act so weirdly with regard to variability in symptoms and infectiousness.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Tried to see my GP yesterday with a sinus infection that's been ticking over for months. She wouldn't see me until I had a test done. Got it this morning and waiting for the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Tried to see my GP yesterday with a sinus infection that's been ticking over for months. She wouldn't see me until I had a test done. Got it this morning and waiting for the results.

My sinus are driving me insane, debating whether to get a test or not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Wanderer78 wrote:

That's pretty much the only thing I had. Even my cough was from a post nasal drip, but it was a cough so I was tested and was positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Wibbs wrote: »
    Well colds and flus won't magically go away because a new virus is in the mix. When old nasties like smallpox and the like were floating about people still caught colds and flus. IIRC the rhinoviruses that cause most "common colds" have an R0 of between 3 and 6, so way higher than Covid. Flus again IIRC are around 1.5, so closer to covid. Something like the measles which is fully airborne is way higher at around 16.

That said, the R0 value has a lot of variables, as we've seen with this covid pox and those figures are for freely mingling populations. Measures like social distancing, masks and hand hygiene make a huge difference to the number. Vaccination will make an even bigger difference. The same measures are going to affect other viruses in the population, so fewer people should get colds and flus as well.

Speaking entirely personal opinion here, I reckon there is some resistance in the population to covid19 and that's why it seems to act so weirdly with regard to variability in symptoms and infectiousness.

Studies ( https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32498136 ) give an R0 for CoViD-19 to be similar to that of the common cold.

Considering that during our latest outbreak the Re was estimated to be between 2.3 and 3.0 ( https://www.thejournal.ie/what-does-this-weeks-covid-19-data-tell-us-about-irelands-third-wave-5319750-Jan2021 ) and that was with restrictions, that points to the R0 being more than 3.0

With the B.1.1.7 variant adding between 0.4 and 0.7 to the R0 ( https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.30.20249034v2 ) that would put CoViD-19 squarely in the "as infectious as the common cold" category.

• Advertisement

That's pretty much the only thing I had. Even my cough was from a post nasal drip, but it was a cough so I was tested and was positive.

ive no cough at all, just sinus driving me insane

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Get a test. This was my main symptom at the start and now it is my last one to go. We have 6 people test postitive in our household and those close to us and all apart from 1 had sinus issues/headaches.
    Also seems if you have sinus issues then your taste and smell is almost a cert to go too. Unfortunately that's been true in our cases.
    Thankfully we have all had mild symptoms and everyone is fully over it now apart from the senses issue. Age range from 5 to 64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Get a test. This was my main symptom at the start and now it is my last one to go. We have 6 people test postitive in our household and those close to us and all apart from 1 had sinus issues/headaches.
    Also seems if you have sinus issues then your taste and smell is almost a cert to go too. Unfortunately that's been true in our cases.
    Thankfully we have all had mild symptoms and everyone is fully over it now apart from the senses issue. Age range from 5 to 64.

Oh don't say that. I have really bad sinus headache and congestion, and have also had migraine aura for past 2 days. Feel crappy. My husband keeps making me smell things as that is his way of ''checking'' for corona!

thank you, im over a week with this now, probably longer, things were actually worse last week, so im slightly improved here, ive no other symptoms appearing, no fever, no cough, no high temperature, no breeding or chest issues, smell and taste seem to be fine, my morning glass of cider vinegar still taste's like sh1t. i ll say it to the doc tomorrow though. we stopped mixing after christmas, so its only 2 of us in the house, the other person is absolutely fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Wanderer78 wrote: »

I came back negative this morning. Wasn't surprised

I came back negative this morning. Wasn't surprised

it makes sense to be tested, but i suspect id be the same, im not convinced i have it, i think its largely to do with being stuck indoors with central heating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Oh don't say that. I have really bad sinus headache and congestion, and have also had migraine aura for past 2 days. Feel crappy. My husband keeps making me smell things as that is his way of ''checking'' for corona!

Take my advice and get tested if anything it will put your mind at risk. I had similar 2 weeks ago and ended up with something a lot worse than Corona. I’m actually in hospital at the moment trying to avoid it, at this stage I’ve been tested a good few times. It is uncomfortable but only for a minute.

I keep smelling things too and one of the doctors here told me that while it’s a common symptom it’s not definitive and that he has a number of positive patients with perfect smell and taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭This is it

I didn't lose taste or smell when I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

People needn't be trying to decide themselves whether to get a test or not.

Call your doctor and they'll decide.

No point trying to figure it out yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Phil.x wrote: »
    High temp, stiff/strained eyes, lower back pain, loss of smell and taste, all lasted two to three days but 14 days after symptoms I still cannot smell or taste and it sometimes feels like a have something lodged in my throat.

So smell and taste are coming back slowly, but I now have what looks like a tonsil stone, feeling like I've a bit of swelling when I swallow.
    Other that that I'm fine, back lifting some weights and a little running.
    (First symptoms 4th jan)

Advertisement