Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman stabbed near IFSC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

They aren't though, they harass people constantly, which escalates.

I won't with less people to harass are they getting more desperate.

We need a will within this country to talk about and deal with problems, not constantly kick it down the road
    Not all addicts do this.

the individual who did this is alone responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Not all addicts do this.

the individual who did this is alone responsible.

This "not all" is ridiculous.

Of course not all drug addicts, not all of anything do anything except sleep/eat etc. "Not all of..." disqualifies almost every sentence. Druf addicts walking around Dublin IS a problem, not least because they have an addiction which is in itself a bad thing.

Whoever is caught should be done for attempted murder. They will probably get a suspended sentence and a bag of smarties, free to stab someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Drug addicts walking around Dublin are usually harmless though. I've worked and lived around the city centre for 20 years and I've never seen them do anything apart from annoy people for money, or scream at each other. Anyway what can you do with them? Move the clinics out, yes, but that's not going to happen any time soon, where could you move them to?
    Most of the heroin addicts you see in town are from inner city anyway, there's been a problem with heroin in the inner city since the 80s.

Drug addicts walking around Dublin are usually harmless though. I've worked and lived around the city centre for 20 years and I've never seen them do anything apart from annoy people for money, or scream at each other. Anyway what can you do with them? Move the clinics out, yes, but that's not going to happen any time soon, where could you move them to?
    Most of the heroin addicts you see in town are from inner city anyway, there's been a problem with heroin in the inner city since the 80s.

I have had to intervene on more than one occasion whet they have hassling old ladies.

It's a problem we have by kicking the can down the road, don't know what the fix would be.

I have had to intervene on more than one occasion whet they have hassling old ladies.

It's a problem we have by kicking the can down the road, don't know what the fix would be.

Yes it's a tricky situation. But I don't think locking everyone up USA style works for anyone. Better social services and support really is the only solution in my opinion, but it would cost a lot of money, a lot of addicts are seriously screwed up from having horrible backgrounds. You only have to look at the way some of these people talk to their children, screaming in their faces etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Yes it's a tricky situation. But I don't think locking everyone up USA style works for anyone. Better social services and support really is the only solution in my opinion, but it would cost a lot of money, a lot of addicts are seriously screwed up from having horrible backgrounds. You only have to look at the way some of these people talk to their children, screaming in their faces etc.

Ok fair enough but endless dole, free housing, free health, suspended sentences, no accountability for anything they do isn’t exactly encouraging people to better their lives is it ? This life support provided by the government has to stop if you give nothing but misery and trouble back to society.

I don't think more hugs is going to fix the issue. Indulging people breeds dependence.

There is no political will to seriously look at tackling issues in any case.

Also we have no idea who committed this crime.

Could have been a Google worker

Valresnick wrote: »
    Ok fair enough but endless dole, free housing, free health, suspended sentences, no accountability for anything they do isn’t exactly encouraging people to better their lives is it ? This life support provided by the government has to stop if you give nothing but misery and trouble back to society.

If you stopped helping them in the ways you've listed they'd be even worse and more desperate and more likely to turn to petty crime etc.
    I don't think your average male heroin addict on the street has free housing anyway, they all seem to live with some beleaguered parent from my experience of talking to them.
    You're not given a free gaf unless you're a woman with kids if I understand correctly.

Also we have no idea who committed this crime.

Could have been a Google worker

Not pointing any fingers but trains from Balbriggan go to Connolly Station in the heart of the IFSC #justsayin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I used to live near Pearse St. Not as rough as Sheriff St, but I think some of the same issues apply. I believe there's little challenge to low level crime which then empowers teenage boys to progress into more violent crime unchecked.

Not pointing any fingers but trains from Balbriggan go to Connolly Station in the heart of the IFSC #justsayin

I really hope you aren't being serious. There is no description of the attacker at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Justice in this country is broken from top to bottom.

Criminals know that , the law is only for the law abiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Social housing isn't free and social tenents are taxpayers just like private house dwellers.

Its free for welfare lifers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Justice in this country is broken from top to bottom.

Criminals know that , the law is only for the law abiding.

Nonsense, Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world. People will commit crime regardless of how harsh or soft a judicial system appears to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Any pond rat caught carrying a knife should get a minimum 5 year sentence with none of it suspended. The justice system is a farce.
    If they are leaving home carrying a knife they are premeditating a crime and are willing to use a knife. If there was a 5 year sentence available for carrying a knife it would deter some of the pond rats arming themselves.

I really hope you aren't being serious. There is no description of the attacker at all.

It's a joke.
    The IFSC is a strange place, I've spent a lot of time there and you have modernity and wealth and lots of tech workers living there but you also have one of the roughest estates in Ireland right in the heart of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

begbysback wrote: »
    Nonsense, Ireland is one of the safest countries in the world. People will commit crime regardless of how harsh or soft a judicial system appears to be.

They will, but we have a relatively small cohort of people with dozens if not hundreds of convictions who should not be in a revolving door system. They should be locked up long term and rehabilitated.

Ireland may be safe overall but there are some very dodgy areas which have essentially been abandoned by the Gardaí. The only reason there's not more issues is most people are smart enough to avoid them*.

*And I am in no way blaming the poor woman in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Can anyone else think of a place, not just in Ireland but in Europe, where every store and pharmacy in the area has to have full time security.

Assuming a wage of around €20k, that means the locals must have been robbing and/or shoplifting more than €20k per year from EACH of these businesses in order to justify the wage of the security guard.

I seem to remember certain parts of Edinburgh that probably wouldn't even bother opening those services it was so dangerous.

Any pond rat caught carrying a knife should get a minimum 5 year sentence with none of it suspended. The justice system is a farce.
    If they are leaving home carrying a knife they are premeditating a crime and are willing to use a knife. If there was a 5 year sentence available for carrying a knife it would deter some of the pond rats arming themselves.

The scary thing is there are probably loads of young ones now carrying knives thinking they need one to protect themselves from the other guy with a knife. London is testament to how bad things can get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

It's a joke.
    The IFSC is a strange place, I've spent a lot of time there and you have modernity and wealth and lots of tech workers living there but you also have one of the roughest estates in Ireland right in the heart of it too.

I've worked there for 4 years now in a very prominent building which has views right up the IFSC. I've seen lads pushing scramblers up the road first thing in the morning past the Teslas, Porsches and high end saloons. There is drug dealing outside our door and random abuse gets handed out to people minding their own business and going about their working day.

The locals are at odds with the professionals that work in the area. The contrast between have and have not is too much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The picture on the independent is just outside the EPIC Irish emigration museum in the IFSC, there would usually be people around if the pubs were open there. They have ‘excellent quality CCTV” as it’s a privately managed area. I imagine they will show this to Dublin Gardai first to see if any of them recognise him. I would say they will, this wouldn’t be their first crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

If your landlord gives you 200 a week, and politely asks for 30 back to pay for the rent, it's free.

If you live in social housing the housing isn't free. You pay rent to the local authority.

D3V!L wrote: »
    The locals are at odds with the professionals that work in the area. The contrast between have and have not is too much for them.

Well in fairness the fancy apartments are given to locals on social there too, so they should really count their blessings.

I seem to remember certain parts of Edinburgh that probably wouldn't even bother opening those services it was so dangerous.

I lived in Edinburgh for a year, I can't remember any parts of the city centre that were particularly dodgy. They didn't seem to have the ring of flats/social housing around the city centre that we have in Dublin.

If you live in social housing the housing isn't free. You pay rent to the local authority.

If you are totally welfare dependent for your income and rent a dwelling then payment of said rent DOES NOT come from income you have earned.

begbysback wrote: »

Exactly. I sometimes think people complaining about Ireland Dublin in particular have never travelled or explored the world. Iv'e ridden my motorbike half way around the planet and visited more places than i can remember. Dublin is like Disneyland compared to a lot of cities in south America or even parts of Europe tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A token amount, 'That you can afford'.
    From your dole.
    Which is free.

If you are totally welfare dependent for your income and rent a dwelling then payment of said rent DOES NOT come from income you have earned.

I live in a half social half private estate and the vast majority of social tenants are working. Social housing is not free.

• Advertisement

And probably not a guard to be seen !

I worked in the IFSC for 2 years. Never a guard ever in sight, meanwhile there were scrotes doing wheelies up and down the street outside places like Bank of New York. Possibly a bike belonging to an employee of one of those establishments. People getting harassed going in and out of work was commonplace. It's an embarrassing place to work as an Irish person, especially when you have visitors from the UK or US.

Who thought putting the IFSC spitting distance from Sherriff Street without stationing a few guards around was going to be a good idea?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement