Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just been to the Polski Sklep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I’m barred, they all know me :o skleptomaniac!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Winiary brand for sauces - mayonnaise, mustard, tartar, horseradish.

Prymat brand for seasonings.

Zott jogobella apple yogurt. I don't even usually like yogurt but I always get one of these because its so nice.

Those wafer rolls mentioned aswel, they really are addictive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I was going to walk down to the local off-license. Half way between there is a little Polish shop that I always pass by. Tonight, because the weather is ****e, I said, **** it I'll see if they have cans.

And they did.

I'm having a can of something called Zubr (6.0%) and stuffing my face with Cheetos Pizzerini flavoured crisps. And it's going well.

I felt a bit weird going in because I'm not at all from eastern Europe. I didn't want to be weird but they had a serious meats section as well. I was wanting to have a proper gawk and try some stuff but I went with the cans.

Are there any "ethnic" shops in your area? Do you ever go in? Are there any hidden food gems from overseas that you'd like to share?

Don’t. Any shopkeeper is happy for anyone to buy their goods. It’s all about the bottom line. In fact it’s a help, supporting them so that they’ll stay open for their target audience. I like lots of Polish products though I tend to just buy them in Centra if I spot them. Nice yoghurts, chocolate and crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Okay, I do have a question about Polish food that's going to sound stupid, but shur here we are - in any Polish shops or food sections, there are always a load of jars of creamy white sauce. Are Polish folks absolutely mad for mayonnaise or is it something else? I'm curious but apparently not enough to just buy a jar and find out.

I’m not Polish, so I could just be off the mark here, but I do venture in now and again, and it sounds like you are describing the horseradish sauce (as per a couple of posts above) - they’re mad for the stuff.

Also, pickled beetroot, have you noticed? Pickled beetroot everywhere. It must be a national staple. (I can’t stand the taste of it myself. There’s just something about its pungency... yuk :()

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I was in Walmart earlier and was in the aisle with "food etc from around the world" ... I found things like cadbury flakes and chocolate fingers etc ... No potatoes though funny enough !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

There's a really good Asian shop near me where I normally get curry spices and chicken seasoning from. The chicken seasoning is fantastic for making my own homemade chicken goujons. I got a plantain in there recently which I'll use to make a plantain bread I found on YouTube. In the same area there's a Polish shop with some really nice sausages.

Also there's an off licence which I believe to be Lithuanian owned. The owner gets in quite a lot of Lithuanian beers and ciders. I think I've tried all of them at this stage, my favourite one being Bison Disel which comes in a silver can. The last one I tried from there was a 1litre blue and gold can of some Russian beer. I couldn't tell you what it was called because the name of the beer was in Cyrillic alphabet on the can. They also sell a really nice strong 5.9% Polish beer called Kasztelan. I was impressed also with a Lithuanian Blackcurrant wine and a nice Moldovan red wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

enricoh wrote: »
    20 marlboro gold for e8 in my local polish shop -great job! Had to do a month or two buying ham before he'd sell em to me though!

Jez that's cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

seenitall wrote: »
    I’m not Polish, so I could just be off the mark here, but I do venture in now and again, and it sounds like you are describing the horseradish sauce (as per a couple of posts above) - they’re mad for the stuff.

Also, pickled beetroot, have you noticed? Pickled beetroot everywhere. It must be a national staple. (I can’t stand the taste of it myself. There’s just something about its pungency... yuk :()

Polish use mayo a lot ,making cold salads and in cooking

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Been goin for years in Galway..best variety of crisps,choc,coffee,cold meats..and not a rip off..you can even buy bags of Coco pops etc.. refill the box u have at home ...oh a the biscuits and treats are amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Tow

I go sometimes to the german shops

What chainsaws are doing in supermarket,
    il never fully understand though

You should see the selection of guns in my in-laws local Walmart.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

ZX7R wrote: »
    Polish use mayo a lot ,making cold salads and in cooking

Sure, could be mayo. They are both slightly off-white, with mayo running more towards yellowish maybe, and the horseradish looking a bit duller, less glossy off-white, in the jar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The local Polo store have lamb sausages to die for.
    Lovely under the grill, but gorgeous on a barbecue.
    Plus a huge range of beers to try, some lovely stouts from the Baltic countries.
    Great range of fruit and veg, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I dunno, I felt like a bit of a fraud. Kind of like, it's their shop, can I not just let them have their own buzz without infringing upon it?

Maybe if I learn a few words of Polish I will be able to mingle without looking suss? I've a Polish mate always calling me Kulva? Sounds like a term of endearment. I'll give it a try when I'm in next.

You're not infringing on anything, you're giving them business. It's perfectly fine.

I go into Polish/Moldovan/Russian shops a lot. There's always something interesting there.

We went to a shop in Ongar to get some food for New Years and there was this fantastic smoked pork piece. Just a big chunk of it. Delicious. I find the food in those shops to be the blandest looking stuff in the world but it is fairly tasty.

As other posters have mentioned, the salads are probably 70% mayonnaise so they aren't the healthiest.

I'd also go to the Asian shops too, again there's just always interesting things to have a look at. Spices to buy and eventually figure out what to do with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Zubrowka vodka with the bison grass is focking delicious.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lime Pepsi, these mint wafer bars, ajvar sauce, Cevapcici if they have them.

Don't worry about the language, just hand over a 20 euro so you're covered and say dje-ku-je (thanks) on your way out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I was in Walmart earlier and was in the aisle with "food etc from around the world" ... I found things like cadbury flakes and chocolate fingers etc ... No potatoes though funny enough !

We'll not make that mistake again !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭blastman

If one of the local Polish shops would start stocking Grycan chocolate and plum ice cream here, I would be a very happy man indeed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Absolutely incredible stuff. Puts any other vodka I've ever had to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Comerman

There's a Moldova shop opened recently in Kilkenny, anyone got any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Comerman wrote: »
    There's a Moldova shop opened recently in Kilkenny, anyone got any recommendations?

Moldovan wine is quite good if they stock it

• Advertisement

Lime Pepsi, these mint wafer bars, ajvar sauce, Cevapcici if they have them.

Don't worry about the language, just hand over a 20 euro so you're covered and say dje-ku-je (thanks) on your way out

Ajvar is my poison, it has forever spoiled me for all the chutneys, fruit sauces etc. Where I’m from (EE), the relishes that go with meat are mainly savoury, I can’t stand the taste of sugar in a supposedly savoury dish.

Ćevapčići in a juicy, greasy flatbread (‘somun’) with sliced raw onion and ajvar on the side = fast food in the Balkans. Heaven.

Thinking on the horseradish a bit more, I do like it, it goes well with ham and such-like cold meats. But for me, a little goes a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sugarlumps wrote: »

try it with apple juice, hint of cinnamon like drinking alcoholic apple pie (called a Szarlotka)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I love beef sausages. Quite scarce these days outside of Blighty, except for the nearest Polski Sklep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

try it with apple juice, hint of cinnamon like drinking alcoholic apple pie

Received 4 or 5 bottles as gifts over Christmas. I’d normally have it with apple juice or tonic over crushed ice. Easy to swill back in a pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

VagueSmugAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Polish bread is very nice. I also like their Paluszki.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Absolutely incredible stuff. Puts any other vodka I've ever had to shame.

Zubrowka is a flavoured vodka.
    You can't really compare it to neutral vodkas.
    It would be like saying x brand tea is better than any brand hot water!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

seenitall wrote: »
    Ajvar is my poison, it has forever spoiled me for all the chutneys, fruit sauces etc. Where I’m from (EE), the relishes that go with meat are mainly savoury, I can’t stand the taste of sugar in a supposedly savoury dish.

Ćevapčići in a juicy, greasy flatbread (‘somun’) with sliced raw onion and ajvar on the side = fast food in the Balkans. Heaven.

Thinking on the horseradish a bit more, I do like it, it goes well with ham and such-like cold meats. But for me, a little goes a long way.

Have you ever been to the Balkan place on (under) Moore Street? It's a must for me every time I'm in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I love the rye bread in my local Polo Store. They also have great fruit & veg.... Usually four different varieties of pear for example.
    Also get semolina flour and paprika crisps. Great variety of stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

blastman wrote: »
    If one of the local Polish shops would start stocking Grycan chocolate and plum ice cream here, I would be a very happy man indeed.....

I’d be skleptical about this

Advertisement