Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just been to the Polski Sklep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,177 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There's one quite near me. I like to get rye bread, the odd few beers, crisps like dill or paprika sometimes. I'm always on the look out for Stedentska chocolate too if I can find it, it's lovely.

I lived near a massive Chinese supermarket in Vancouver and called in there often enough. It was massive, like a Carrefour sized supermarket, certainly bigger than anything you'd have here. You'd see some strange things there, well strange to someone coming from Ireland at least, like trays of chicken feet in the meat aisle like they were pork chops or something. I used to go to the Irish/British shop sometimes as well too but not too often. Things would cost and arm and a leg in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Is there a good selection of beers in these shops? To anyone who has been in one

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a good selection of beers in these shops? To anyone who has been in one

Plenty just have mass-market Polish and/or Lithuanian lager (back when I could drink lager without acid problems I was partial to Syvturys); some have quite interesting ranges. It hugely depends. Plenty don't have drink licences at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

I was locked on Zubr last night, 6.0% cans. They were nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The bigger shops have dozens and dozens of beers I'd never seen before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

Have you ever been to the Balkan place on (under) Moore Street? It's a must for me every time I'm in Dublin

No, I haven’t - I don’t live in Dublin either. Thanks for the tip, I’ll keep it in mind to check out next time I have some time to spare in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

Been goin for years in Galway..best variety of crisps,choc,coffee,cold meats..and not a rip off..you can even buy bags of Coco pops etc.. refill the box u have at home ...oh a the biscuits and treats are amazing.

Try the Wedel bars of chocolate- very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

I haven't been inside a Polski sklep ever...but I've done Asians a few times. There's one near the Abbey street Luas stop...I lived in Asia for a few years and couldn't find their white coffee here, but there's some of it in that shop. Champion!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I noticed Tesco has started putting some more Polish meats and hams in the chilled area. Picked up some sliced smoked sausage and it was sensational.

As much as we give it the large one on our pork, our sausage game in Ireland is very poor. One of my favourite things about travelling around Central and Eastern Europe is to sample the sausage stands in the city centres

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭Archeron

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    I was locked on Zubr last night, 6.0% cans. They were nice too.

I was locked on Zubr,
    Last night, six percent cans,
    And they were nice too

That's a Haiku!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

kksaints wrote: »
    I'd go into a couple every now and then. They usually have some decent chocolate and soft drinks that aren't available outside them in Ireland. I also like the Dumplings (pierogi) with meat or potatoes as the fillings.

Agreed! There is a Philippino Supermark in Dún Laoghaire which sells Root beer and I'd genuinely be sad if it closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

These ethnic shops have been a god send to this city, (Dublin)
    As a foodie from a young age my first experience of an Asian shop was the Oriental Emporium in Georges St (think its closed)
    My new favorite is Eurasia at Liffey Valley, great stock at great prices
    I haven't been in a Polish shop but after reading this thread regarding meats and beers ill be trying one this week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Sometimes I go in there and buy bread and pretend I’m Slavic by not talking. I think I get away with it until the shopkeeper speaks to me in English :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Are there any "ethnic" shops in your area? Do you ever go in? Are there any hidden food gems from overseas that you'd like to share?
    is this really your first time in a polski sklep???:confused:

Yes ....But i've been going for like .......forever....

I dunno its just a normal shop to me! The novelty wore off!

fatknacker wrote: »
    Sometimes I go in there and buy bread and pretend I’m Slavic by not talking. I think I get away with it until the shopkeeper speaks to me in English :mad:
    Irish people look diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

fatknacker wrote: »

It's the "peering at the back of the jar to try and interpret the writing" that gives you away.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm really, genuinely, amazed at the amount of people that have never been in a Polish shop.

Where's people's curiosity?

Great sausages and meat products. Some very good cheese.
    Sour barley soup is great. Dumplings. Bread.
    Our local one has great vegetables - huge Chinese leaves.
    Cheapest place to buy polenta. Great sauerkraut, gherkins.

Have people really not been in them.?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

I've just removed a load of off topic waffle based on one post, which has been actioned. ILoveYourVibes, what you are doing is exactly the same as the original poster was sanctioned for - you are making a generalisation which is both off topic and ridiculous.

Everyone else back on topic please, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

As much as we give it the large one on our pork, our sausage game in Ireland is very poor. One of my favourite things about travelling around Central and Eastern Europe is to sample the sausage stands in the city centres

We had an awful habit of just doing one flavour of everything same with cheese, tea and coffee for a long time. Personally I'm obsessed with garlic toulouse sausage but can only find them when Lidl do the odd french special season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I'm really, genuinely, amazed at the amount of people that have never been in a Polish shop.

Where's people's curiosity?

Great sausages and meat products. Some very good cheese.
    Sour barley soup is great. Dumplings. Bread.
    Our local one has great vegetables - huge Chinese leaves.
    Cheapest place to buy polenta. Great sauerkraut, gherkins.

Have people really not been in them.?

Ive never been in one. Ive never been in boots either I don't see your point to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Never buy meat etc in them but some of the snacks and chocolate are unreal. They do a bar similar to a Mars bar but the nougat is pistachio. I think it originates from Slovakia. It's incredible in fairness.

Boscoirl wrote: »
    There’s a great Asian Supermarket in Limerick, always little Asian Ladies in there so you know it’s good.

Is that Henry st. or is there an even better one I don't know about yet

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ive never been in one. Ive never been in boots either I don't see your point to be fair.

All I'm saying is that I'm surprised people aren't curious at to what's for sale in these shops that have become omnipresent in Ireland over the last 20 years or more.
    That's all. I'm not making any point.

One thing confuses me is when I'm buying sauerkraut the Polish brands often say "raw sauerkraut"
    Is there some other kind ?

All I'm saying is that I'm surprised people aren't curious at to what's for sale in these shops that have become omnipresent in Ireland over the last 20 years or more.
    That's all. I'm not making any point.

Probably the same reason most Irish people don't stray into a mosque out of curiosity - a mixture of feeling like an imposter, intruding on someone else's culture and that perhaps they aren't welcome.

I know it's just a shop, but it's important to the eastern European community, and maybe the people who frequent it just want one spot where it's for them? Instead they come in to see some Irish chap drooling at the meats section :pac::D

intruding on someone else's culture and that perhaps they aren't welcome.

Its a business its not a cultural place.

Its capitalism. They want the business.

I mean I wouldnt be going to a polish mass etc.

Probably the same reason most Irish people don't stray into a mosque out of curiosity - a mixture of feeling like an imposter, intruding on someone else's culture and that perhaps they aren't welcome.

I know it's just a shop, but it's important to the eastern European community, and maybe the people who frequent it just want one spot where it's for them? Instead they come in to see some Irish chap drooling at the meats section :pac::D

That's ridiculous. It's a shop what kind of secret rituals do you think we will be disrupting.

More likely they would appreciate us coming in for both the money and the sense of acceptance from the locals

Its a business its not a cultural place.

Its capitalism. They want the business.

I mean I wouldnt be going to a polish mass etc.

The other customers rather than the owners.

The other customers rather than the owners.

A lot of them are Irish people too.:rolleyes:

I would say its like 60% Irish people.

Most of their Fb pages for the shops operate in English etc.

I mean obv if you are going to be a xenophobe etc or rude. Maybe its not the place for you.

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous. It's a shop what kind of secret rituals do you think we will be disrupting.

More likely they would appreciate us coming in for both the money and the sense of acceptance from the locals

There's no need to be so dismissive. If you don't think that a shop can act as a cultural space - where people can go to affirm their culture (think of pubs in Ireland, they aren't just where you buy alcoholic beverages), then I don't know what to tell you.

Advertisement