Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just been to the Polski Sklep

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    There's no need to be so dismissive. If you don't think that a shop can act as a cultural space - where people can go to affirm their culture (think of pubs in Ireland, they aren't just where you buy alcoholic beverages), then I don't know what to tell you.

Any Irish "cultural" shop or pub I ever found in London that was any good would always be recommended to my English friends. And not in a you have my permission to come along sort of way but a let's get the demographic that make up 90% of the population to use the shop and while I'm at it show off good irish products.

I never felt anywhere was off limits to the locals and if I thought it was that kind of place I wouldn't have went myself

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Thingymebob

Go in, explore, be brave - they won’t bite! And here’s a shocker.. most of the staff will speak great English (the others will be passable). Oh, and the staff won’t all be Polish - often Latvian, Lithuanian etc

It’s part of our regular shop, plus the Asian places and Lidl. We only venture into Tesco for Fairy washing powder and softener (sensitive skin). Many of the Polonia stores are doing refurbs to appeal to a wider range of customers)

The deli counter is great, lots of cheeses, meats, pate etc Someone has mentioned the Jaffa cakes - prefer the Malina (raspberry)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve an unreal craving for pickled herring all of a sudden. Silli in Finnish. Pickled with onion. Would there be a nice equivalent in polish shop? And some rye bread. Yom.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

ILoveYourVibes do not post in this thread again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Lots of Polski Skleps here in Germany. The food isn't that much different to traditional German cuisine - lots of pickles, dumplings, stodgy bread, sausages, and tinned goods. Not very exciting tbh.

• Advertisement

Lots of Polski Skleps here in Germany. The food isn't that much different to traditional German cuisine - lots of pickles, dumplings, stodgy bread, sausages, and tinned goods. Not very exciting tbh.

I've searched a few Polish shops round Limerick in the hopes they would have good currywurst sauce preferably Werder

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If people don’t go in just so that the Eastern European’s can have their own space then can they go into Irish, or for that matter, British shops?
    They’re just shops like any others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

breezy1985 wrote: »
    One thing confuses me is when I'm buying sauerkraut the Polish brands often say "raw sauerkraut"
    Is there some other kind ?

Cooked? Like Choucroute alsacienne.

Or the best kind of sauerkraut - no sauerkraut.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

The one things you all need to buy in an Eastern European shop is mallow/zephyr in chocolate. It’s a world class product. It’s called Maigums and it’s made in Latvia. Truly amazing stuff.

We also get their plain ice cream in soft wafer cups. Possibly Ukrainian?

In summer, when in season, it’s the place to go for cherries and peaches. Sweet grapes too. Their fruit and veg quality can be excellent.

Good rye bread. Thick and chewy.

Don’t know much about the beer, we might be up a bottle or two just to try new things. They get some craft beers in too, you can always tell from the label really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Great value on beers in the Polish supermarkets. Proper 5 % Heineken export for peanuts. Also some of their owns brand are nice, Utenos is a nice tipple. They have pint cans also. Proper order.

Not mad about the way they pickle their deli products, not my bag. But some of their confectionary is gorge.

I hear great things about some of the muslim shops also if you are into curries or halal meat etc. I rarely bother, but if I am feeling adventurous....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Love the skleps.

Amazing fresh donughts, haven't seen them in years though, not so many skleps around here these days unfortunately.

Those jars of pickles are huge though, and they don't seem to keep long after opening. Dont understand that.

Another thing that confuses me about the sausage is that the skin is tough or inedible. How does that work?

(I was looking at Polish garlic sausage currently in Lidl just yesterday; the label said inedible skin, so I didn't buy).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, I forgot fresh cherries in the summer - cheapest in town and good.

Our local Pewex has a huge organic range of stuff, too.

On the sauerkraut thing, any sauerkraut I've bought required cooking.

Yes, I forgot fresh cherries in the summer - cheapest in town and good.

Our local Pewex has a huge organic range of stuff, too.

On the sauerkraut thing, any sauerkraut I've bought required cooking.

Required cooking ? Is it not just pickled cabbage

Also I tend to ignore the consume after opening warning on pickled things

Required cooking ? Is it not just pickled cabbage

Also I tend to ignore the consume after opening warning on pickled things
    It's fermented rather than pickled and is as far as I know always cooked.
    However, in my experience, the jars or pouches never have any cooking or serving instructions on them in any language.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

Is that Henry st. or is there an even better one I don't know about yet

Is it polonez shop at the top of Janesboro in the old TBA building? Pretty good selection of stuff in there

peter4918 wrote: »
    Is it polonez shop at the top of Janesboro in the old TBA building? Pretty good selection of stuff in there

We ware on about the Asian supermarket but Ill check that out too someday

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Esho

fatknacker wrote: »
    Sometimes I go in there and buy bread and pretend I’m Slavic by not talking. I think I get away with it until the shopkeeper speaks to me in English :mad:

It's a shop they want not sell stuff, nothing to worry about.

A few years ago Polonez did a till survey to see.how they could get more non Eastern Europeans/ Paddies to shop there.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Probably the same reason most Irish people don't stray into a mosque out of curiosity - a mixture of feeling like an imposter, intruding on someone else's culture and that perhaps they aren't welcome.

I know it's just a shop, but it's important to the eastern European community, and maybe the people who frequent it just want one spot where it's for them? Instead they come in to see some Irish chap drooling at the meats section :pac::D

Sorry, didn't reply to this.

They're feckin shops!

fits wrote: »
    I’ve an unreal craving for pickled herring all of a sudden. Silli in Finnish. Pickled with onion. Would there be a nice equivalent in polish shop? And some rye bread. Yom.

Yes, herring with onion , herring in cream , lots of herring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

wiggle16 wrote: »
    If you see things called rurki waflowe (wafer rolls) by a brand called Tago, get them (especially the vanilla flavour,it has a vanilla flower on the front if the text is in Polish) - you will not regret it. I'm addicted to the things. Oni sa zajebiaszcze :)

Got a pack of these tago rolls today
    I will be buying more and more and more

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

fits wrote: »

You can get sill in Ikea, including the place in Carrickmines if it's still open.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'd love to know more about how to prepare Polish foods. I'd like to get out of the rut I'm in but when I go shopping, all I see is a heap of different foods that I know nothing about: are pieroggi a starter? Do they require a dip? Is that something else I have to go looking for?

Are there any good English-language YT videos on basic Polish dishes with ingredients you'll find in the Polish shop? (Did somebody say there's a thread over in the Food forum? I just had a look & I don't see it...)

Doublebusy wrote: »

The vanilla Ptasi Mleszko - marshmallows - are delicious.
    Do not buy if you want to battle the Covid stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I try to go in as often as possible. They do great fruit/veg. My daughter loves the Milka Chocolate. The wafer things people mentioned are divine. But I probably never would have ventured in until my Eastern European friend brought me in originally.

There is a market in Glasnevin Ind Est that was on every Sunday until Level.5 lockdown. Lots of Polish & Hungarian food to try. The Langos is very tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I've never been to my local Polish supermarket.

No reason really, just know very little about Polish food and there's never been any advertising on the window that would get my attention but will give a go after reading this thread. It just never occurred to me before & I generally only visit shops where I was something rather than just to see what's available.

Often used the Asian store for herbs, spices etc & always felt welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Doublebusy wrote: »

Haha got them yesterday, with coca something in them, gorgeous!

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Went to a Polish store this week for the first time. It was worth the visit. The problem is they all look closed. No window displays, nothing.

pjproby wrote: »
    Went to a Polish store this week for the first time. It was worth the visit. The problem is they all look closed. No window displays, nothing.

Do any food shops still have those ?

• Advertisement

I'd love to know more about how to prepare Polish foods. I'd like to get out of the rut I'm in but when I go shopping, all I see is a heap of different foods that I know nothing about: are pieroggi a starter? Do they require a dip? Is that something else I have to go looking for?

Are there any good English-language YT videos on basic Polish dishes with ingredients you'll find in the Polish shop? (Did somebody say there's a thread over in the Food forum? I just had a look & I don't see it...)

Perogi are just dumplings.
    They are nice in a thin, broth like soup (a knorr stockpot would do fine) or with melted butter and fresh herbs.
    Just pick a filling you like the sound of.

Some perogi can be a bit heavy and stodgy, though.

Advertisement