Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leo Varadkar story in The Village??? - Mod Notes and banned Users in OP updated 16/05

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

smurgen wrote: »
    That's just straight up corruption. Banana republic.

They set the bar low excusing Varadkar so they could hang on to their seats. Shows them up.

Ahh. Poor Paul Murphy. Couldn’t afford legal fees on a TDs salary. A chancer of the highest order.

Ahh. Poor Paul Murphy. Couldn’t afford legal fees on a TDs salary. A chancer of the highest order.
    Chancer
    someone who takes chances and often does improper things to get an advantage over other people

Sound like anyone? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,368 ✭✭✭jmcc

I see Actavo is on that list of creditors. :) Dinny and FG won't be pleased.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 14,060 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

gadarnol wrote: »
    The OSA application to members of the Oireachtas was discussed in the Legal Affairs forum. The consensus of opinion across there and legal commentary is that it does apply.

You mean this discussion?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131440

The most complete explanation is from Peregrinus who notes.
    The Act doesn’t use the term “state secret”. In fact, despite being called the Official Secrets Act, it doesn’t even use the term “official secret”. The central provision of the Act is a prohibition on the communication of “official information” (unless authorised to communicate it). (There’s a slew of exceptions and qualifications, but let’s ignore those for the time being.)

At least be honest about your claim here.

• Advertisement

Where is the 'corruption' part?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

markodaly wrote: »
    You mean this discussion?
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058131440

The most complete explanation is from Peregrinus who notes.

At least be honest about your claim here.

How extraordinary to accuse me of dishonesty. I referenced the legal forum, I created the thread there and left it to readers from here to see the conclusion reached.

To repeat the key information:
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    Members of the Oireachtas are not “public officials” for any purpose of the Act.

But this doesn’t mean that the Act doesn’t apply to them. See below.

The central provision of the Act is a prohibition on the communication of “official information” (unless authorised to communicate it). (There’s a slew of execptions and qualifications, but let’s ignore those for the time being.) “Official information” is defined as:

- any secret official code or password; and

- any document or information which is secret or confidential, and which or has been in the possession of a public office holder, or which a public office holder has access to by virtue of his office.

Couple of points:

1. The prohibition applies to “any person”, inc. members of the Oireachtas. So if civil servant Mr A passes confidential information to TD Ms B, that’s “official information” because it has been in the possession of a holder of a public office - namely, Mr. A. TD Ms B is prohibited by the Act from communicating that official information to any other person unless duly authorised etc etc.

I've put the relevant parts, which you ignored, in big black writing. Any fair minded person will see the value of your accusation against me and the worth of your reasoning in your post. For contributions such as yours, the ignore button was invented.

How extraordinary to accuse me of dishonesty. I referenced the legal forum, I created the thread there and left it to readers from here to see the conclusion reached.

Yes, and the conclusion is far from conclusive.
    For example, you asked a generic question, in which you received a generic reply.
    You also ignored the fact that Peregrinus also stated there are lots of exemptions and qualifications.

I've put the relevant parts, which you ignored, in big black writing. Any fair minded person will see the value of your accusation against me and the worth of your reasoning in your post. For contributions such as yours, the ignore button was invented.

My god, very touchy. I merely drew attention to your false claim that there was some 'without doubt testimony' from a number of contributors in regards your initial claim.

When in fact, its much more nuanced than that, like all points of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

markodaly wrote: »
    Where is the 'corruption' part?

I see you post late at night o go unchallenged as long as possible:D. The past where a person involved in a corrupt organization is now doing the investigation. We had that in this country before. Didn't work out too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭micosoft

The OSA application to members of the Oireachtas was discussed in the Legal Affairs forum. The consensus of opinion across there and legal commentary is that it does apply.

On the continuing denial of reality by FG loyalists I note this evening the constitutional crisis over Woulfe has deepened with the Dáil business committee collapsing after all Opposition parties withdrew over FFGG refusal to have McEntee face the Dáil properly. Cabinet confidentiality quoted in a HC case on the LC debacle to protect a memo from the Minister of Ed is seen as hollow and cynical evasion. And SIPO yet to look at Varadkar. But nothing to see here. Draw your own conclusions about the value of FG loyalists opinions.

Look. You haven't even established this document falls under the Official secrets act let alone demonstrated that even if it did, that a Minister would be breaking it by sharing documentation. If your only evidence is that "some people on a public forum think it does" I'll let th

I'm again at a loss to see what constitutional crisis now exists. Michael Martin consulted with the leadership of most parties in the Dail and has formed the view with them that impeaching him is not in the best interests of the state.

If you mean there is some scandal about the appointment of Woulfe - again - what exactly was the transgression? Governments are perfectly entitled to appoint who they sit fit as a judge under the current system.

In any case. Again we see the continued playing of the man rather than the ball. Anyone who attempts to establish what the actual facts of the case might be and what the legal position is are "FG Loyalists". You've failed to establish any case and think if you through out enough "statements". I'll let folk draw their own opinion on the value of your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

I see Helen McEntee has eventually agreed (looks like Martin has pushed her into it) to make a statement to the Dail tomorrow and more importantly take questions. Will be interesting to see how she performs when the pressure comes on, I would always have seen her as a lightweight mostly standing obediently over Coveney's left shoulder as he spoke to the press, so this will be her opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭gadarnol

micosoft wrote: »
    Look. You haven't even established this document falls under the Official secrets act let alone demonstrated that even if it did, that a Minister would be breaking it by sharing documentation. If your only evidence is that "some people on a public forum think it does" I'll let th

I'm again at a loss to see what constitutional crisis now exists. Michael Martin consulted with the leadership of most parties in the Dail and has formed the view with them that impeaching him is not in the best interests of the state.

If you mean there is some scandal about the appointment of Woulfe - again - what exactly was the transgression? Governments are perfectly entitled to appoint who they sit fit as a judge under the current system.

In any case. Again we see the continued playing of the man rather than the ball. Anyone who attempts to establish what the actual facts of the case might be and what the legal position is are "FG Loyalists". You've failed to establish any case and think if you through out enough "statements". I'll let folk draw their own opinion on the value of your opinion.

Full marks for staying on FG messaging and no marks for actually reading what I said.

Let's restate the facts:
    Varadkar leaked a confidential document. He acknowledged that and apologised for that. The Taoiseach said what was done was wrong. The FG spin is that he "shared" the document which is a threadbare manoeuver that discredits them and politics in general.

A complaint has been made to the Gardai about this. The definitive answer as to whether the document is covered by the OSA and did Varadkar breach the OSA will come if that complaint leads to an investigation which leads to a file sent to DPP which leads to a court case decided one way or the other. The relevance of all that here is that FG loyalists continue to dig a hole by saying "nothing to see here" and that the matter is closed. It will only be definitively closed when a court rules on it.

The point I made and which you ignored is that the OSA applies to members of the Oireachtas in certain circumstances. That is not what you claimed I said.

I fully understand that you are at a loss to see the constitutional crisis. Again you should follow the online discussion among legal experts to begin to try to get some grasp of it. We have an impeachment motion. We have a chief justice advising a justice of the SC to resign and the latter refusing to do so. We have the collapse of the Dail business committee with the entire opposition withdrawing from it. We have the Taoiseach backtracking on Min for Justice this morning and she now will take questions. And the FG loyalists keep spinning the discredited and empty line "nothing to see here".

The SIPO case is yet to be heard against Varadkar and the FG loyalists turn up here saying its all blown over and nothing to see here.

SIPO itself compromised unless she recuses herself from the Varadkar hearing by the appointment of a former NAGP lobbyist.

Varadkar has threatened legal action against the magazine. That has yet to conclude. He may drop that threat and hope no one notices. He may pursue it. This has yet to play out yet the FG loyalists turn up here saying its all blown over and nothing to see here.

The only folks who will agree with your assessment of events are the party loyalists. Quite why they do so and add to the thread continually with obvious spin and inaccuracy is truly a mystery.

All the above has been posted repeatedly on this thread. The issue remains open until the processes listed, again, above are resolved.

As you failed to actually reply to what I wrote there is no point in engaging further with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭CarProblem

It hasn't gone away you know.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Hilarious stuff really, time for the Mount Street lads to get back to work

Mr Doherty said on Tuesday night that Mr Varadkar “needs to explain how he was able to get his hands on a document, and provide it to his friend, that was so confidential that the minister for health was being denied a copy by his own officials.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Hilarious stuff really, time for the Mount Street lads to get back to work

Mr Doherty said on Tuesday night that Mr Varadkar “needs to explain how he was able to get his hands on a document, and provide it to his friend, that was so confidential that the minister for health was being denied a copy by his own officials.”
    On this post we have one Cute Hoor talking about another Cute Hoor. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marty1983

Imagine leeking the story before the relevant minister has seen it!!

Marty1983 wrote: »
    Imagine leeking the story before the relevant minister has seen it!!

The doc released by the FOI has proved that they lied to the Dail.

Village mag posted on it
    https://twitter.com/VillageMagIRE/status/1351719982586015751?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Village mag posted on it

Does this mean Leo misled the Dail?

Why did the last FG Tanaiste who resigned, resign, can anyone remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Village mag posted on it

now my memory may be faulty but were people not claiming that Varadker could use his own state authority to release the document?

• Advertisement

He made statements in the Dail in the week before and immediately before the Vote of No Confidence.

This covers the week before the VONC.

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/1103/1175590-varadkar-dail/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

God, that Village outfit and the crank Chay Bowes look more desperate every time they try in vain to flog this dead horse.

This is a dead duck lads. Move on.

God, that Village outfit and the crank Chay Bowes look more desperate every time they try in vain to flog this dead horse.

This is a dead duck lads. Move on.

This is how we know a story will run and run :)
    There'll be great mileage to be had from all the misplaced anger this will generate. The tinfoil hats will taken out and dusted off. Lots and lots of Tweets that go something along the lines of "This is indicative of the deep levels of corruption in FG. Let me briefly explain (1/72)"

Wonder how many weeks the loons will get out of it.

No tinfoil hat needed. Varadkar lied. Passed on a draft of an unfinished document to his pal to try cadge votes, while the actual health minister was still looking for a copy. The best people...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Leo really gets inside some heads, doesn't he?

Anything in the paper about him, and multiple posts spring up.

blanch152 wrote: »

It's the papers, not heads. You don't need go looking for his gaffes.
    If he stopped lying and showing himself up to be a buffoon I could see that lessen.

blanch152 wrote: »

Talking about "things in the paper".....

Remember that time he said one of his like totes fave films ever was a Woody Allen one?

Was only in December blanch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hmmmm ...... lot of anger out there.....nasty stuff...... best stay within the ‘Five Kilometres’.

Gardai seem to be singling out decent folk..... uhmmm!

Changing times.... eh..... changing times lads.

Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Hmmmm ...... lot of anger out there.....nasty stuff...... best stay within the ‘Five Kilometres’.

Gardai seem to be singling out decent folk..... uhmmm!

Changing times.... eh..... changing times lads.

Stay safe.

None of the mud being flung is sticking Brendan, that low-grade dry stuff doesn't have any stickability.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

Great to be back lads, had ye a good Christmas?

• Advertisement

Short video lads, it's barely 2 mins long. Leo's only went and got Simon muddled up in his right old kerfuffle.

Lads telling lies need to have good memories. (And understand how FOI requests work)

https://twitter.com/sinnfeinireland/status/1351912256880205825?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement