Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BGW and DGW 20/21 Discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

CSF wrote: »
    Gotta see who gets through in the FA Cup really. After that you will know who needs their Week 29 game rescheduled, and after that you'll know if the other outstanding games can be scheduled then instead, or in a more likely event those have to find another week, meaning we get more DGWs (which I will pretty much need having used none of my currently available chips).

Depending on how the fixtures get scheduled and how my team is fixed for the DGW 26, my chip strategy might be

Wildcard: 25
    Bench Boost: 26
    FH: 29
    TC: The best possible DGW outside of 26.

Assuming City get through the FA Cup and have their 29 game postponed, they should have a couple of DGWs to choose from considering they have both the Everton game and the League Cup Final game to reschedule aswell as their FA Cup weekend game.

Impressed with myself that I managed to recite all that without even browsing Ben Crellin's Twitter page.

With wildcard used I'll probably look to build toward the smaller doubles and the blank and then use FH in 26 I guess.

I always hate playing FH in a blank, and I was gonna do it in GW18 till I got on to the Busts plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Went with cancelo instead of stones
    Had 2 Saints & 3 Leeds...

Absolute disaster, everyone in my ML's have increased their leads on me...

Disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

GW 29 looks to have the following fixtures

Brighton V Newcastle
    West Brom V Everton
    West Ham V Arsenal

Could change based on cup upsets of course

• Registered Users Posts: 33,018 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I just think if you wildcard for 26, then you can use 27 and 28 for building back the best possible team for the finish (you’ll probably always have a few guys for their doubles that you maybe don’t want fully longterm) rather than spending another 2 weeks of transfers crisis planning and coming into GW30 with a team that is quite far from the one you actually want.

It’s actually the reason I didn’t go all in on a 19 bench boost team. You’d be stuck with West Brom, Newcastle, Leicester and West Ham players that you probably don’t want longterm and then you come immediately out into GW20 and you’re already looking towards building to the next one, when you really just want to be building that optimal team.

With this DGW being built based on which teams are through in the FA Cup (ideally this will be the good ones), rather than an even split, it will probably be easier to build a GW26 team of good players from good teams that you want to keep around.

siblers wrote: »

Brighton V Newcastle
    West Brom V Everton
    West Ham V Arsenal

To be honest, there is a merit to it being a week like that.

How many of the players from those teams do you actually want to have in your team on an ongoing basis?

You could legitimately be getting 11 players plus a captain from that FH, when you would otherwise have none.

• Advertisement

To be honest, there is a merit to it being a week like that.

How many of the players from those teams do you actually want to have in your team on an ongoing basis?

You could legitimately be getting 11 players plus a captain from that FH, when you would otherwise have none.

I think if you had 4/5 players for that week you'd be in good shape. I've used my FH but I wouldn't use it on a GW with only 3 fixtures

I think if you had 4/5 players for that week you'd be in good shape. I've used my FH but I wouldn't use it on a GW with only 3 fixtures
    I don't completely disagree with you, but would you want to have 4/5 players from those teams, barring an upward tick in form? That is the reason I think the FH is valuable that week for people who still have it. If that Gameweek ends up having Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa in it, then it would be a totally different story I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Brighton V Newcastle
    West Brom V Everton
    West Ham V Arsenal

Of the 6 teams - you are highly unlikely to have anyone from Brighton, West Brom or Everton. Chances are you won't hold Wilson if you have him now based on his form. So at best you'll have Smith Rowe, Holding, WH Defender and maybe Antonio - but then do you want to have those 4 playing against each other.

FH Team could go 5 at the back, and/or punt on PEA, Maupay, Wilson, DCL.
    You could potentially make up 25 points in that week - which is huge if chasing someone down.

I'd realistically have 4 max going into that game but most likely 3.

If there are going to be more DGWs outside of the for GW26 8 then I would be more tempted to keep my FH for them but it would be a good chance to make up ground on anyone who has used their FH already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Brighton V Newcastle
    West Brom V Everton
    West Ham V Arsenal

This would be an absolute disaster for me.

I've currently 4 players, all playing each other.

I know BGW and DGW are all about strategy but a GW like this would surely just fúck up a load of teams, getting unwanted players in for 1 GW and then dismantling it again.

The FH would be perfect for it but feels like a FH would be a necessity rather than a want for this GW, unlike many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Trey13

What's a good score for a bench boost? I have 21 at the moment with 1 to play. Sitting on 81 points overall. Not sure how I feel about the use of the BB this week. If I finish on around 130, I'll be happy. It also means I don't have to focus on having 15 players for later DGWs.

I've never used a free hit during the DGW but feel like it could be worth a shot. Then there's obviously the triple captain and wildcard.

This would be an absolute disaster for me.

I've currently 4 players, all playing each other.

I know BGW and DGW are all about strategy but a GW like this would surely just fúck up a load of teams, getting unwanted players in for 1 GW and then dismantling it again.

The FH would be perfect for it but feels like a FH would be a necessity rather than a want for this GW, unlike many others.

Defo. But the FH was in a great spot for those who used it already also. Maybe didn’t play out as well as it could have, but that can happen any week.

Trey13 wrote: »
    What's a good score for a bench boost? I have 21 at the moment with 1 to play. Sitting on 81 points overall. Not sure how I feel about the use of the BB this week. If I finish on around 130, I'll be happy. It also means I don't have to focus on having 15 players for later DGWs.

I've never used a free hit during the DGW but feel like it could be worth a shot. Then there's obviously the triple captain and wildcard.

I reckon 16 upwards is fine. Basically an average of a return per every 2 players.

I reckon 16 upwards is fine. Basically an average of a return per every 2 players.

Yeah 20 is a very good score.

Defo. But the FH was in a great spot for those who used it already also. Maybe didn’t play out as well as it could have, but that can happen any week.

There was always going to be an issue this season where there were going to be multiple skinny GWs so we will all have a GW where we are going to be down players.. Just comes down getting the most value from your FH when you use it.

Mine failed big time and I wish I had kept it now but them the breaks

Is there likely to be a gameweek with only 3 fixtures? Not sure using a FH on players from Newcastle and West Brom would be worth it. Might just build towards having 6 or 7 that week and leave it at that.

I don't completely disagree with you, but would you want to have 4/5 players from those teams, barring an upward tick in form? That is the reason I think the FH is valuable that week for people who still have it. If that Gameweek ends up having Man City, Man United, Liverpool, Spurs and Villa in it, then it would be a totally different story I think.

It's far from straightforward and it would all be about luck in having the one player from those fixtures that scored a brace or something.

But I'd still feel the upside of even an extra 7 or 8 players from those games would be limited Vs handpicking 11 dgw players from a week where only 4 or 6 teams have doubles.

If that was the only fixtures in 29 I think I'd honestly be tempted to pretty much write it off. The weekly average would surely be so low there would be little ground lost by just having even 3 or 4 players.

There was always going to be an issue this season where there were going to be multiple skinny GWs so we will all have a GW where we are going to be down players.. Just comes down getting the most value from your FH when you use it.

Mine failed big time and I wish I had kept it now but them the breaks

Yeah, my thinking behind planning for it was originally that a bigger blank gameweek with 50% (roughly) of good teams would be easier to plan for through actual transfers, especially since we knew early the fixtures.

But then I got ridiculously lucky with the way all the fixture additions came along and rearrangements. Pure and utter luck.

Is there likely to be a gameweek with only 3 fixtures? Not sure using a FH on players from Newcastle and West Brom would be worth it. Might just build towards having 6 or 7 that week and leave it at that.

Yeah but CSFs point is that you then have a squad of 6 or 7 crap players you don't want going forward and have to use transfers and hits to get back to the form players you actually want. And that's true. But I'd also be reluctant to use FH on it as I said above.

FHFC wrote: »
    It's far from straightforward and it would all be about luck in having the one player from those fixtures that scored a brace or something.

But I'd still feel the upside of even an extra 7 or 8 players from those games would be limited Vs handpicking 11 dgw players from a week where only 4 or 6 teams have doubles.

If that was the only fixtures in 29 I think I'd honestly be tempted to pretty much write it off. The weekly average would surely be so low there would be little ground lost by just having even 3 or 4 players.

You might be right, but I personally can wildcard for 26, and I still have a treble captain to use on one of the other DGWs anyway, so the fixtures would have to end up a very particular way for me to go a different route to my current plan.

• Advertisement

You could build up to having 6/7/8 players from those teams and then wildcard soon after. Think the average would be so low that a FH just wouldn't be worth it.

You might be right, but I personally can wildcard for 26, and I still have a treble captain to use on one of the other DGWs anyway, so the fixtures would have to end up a very particular way for me to go a different route to my current plan.

That's true. If you've got that far and still have both wildcard and free hit then it probably is the best strategy.

With wildcard gone, and having got very big gains from using it across 18/19, I'll almost certainly look to use FH on a DGW and middle through or write off GW29.

You could build up to having 6/7/8 players from those teams and then wildcard soon after. Think the average would be so low that a FH just wouldn't be worth it.

I think the only average you need to be looking at it relative to though, is those who don’t use it.

If the average is on 30, and you’re on 50, your gain is probably bigger than you think in this scenario.

Perhaps. You need to take into account a quite big DGW just 3 weeks before though. Wildcard would probably be most valuable to set up for that.

Very hard to plan for both 26 and 29 with just transfers if you're wildcarding after 29

That's true. If you've got that far and still have both wildcard and free hit then it probably is the best strategy.

With wildcard gone, and having got very big gains from using it across 18/19, I'll almost certainly look to use FH on a DGW and middle through or write off GW29.

Yeah, the premium strategy changes drasticallly depending on whether you have each chip left, probably treble captain least of all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Brighton V Newcastle
    West Brom V Everton
    West Ham V Arsenal

Where are you getting that from? 4 of those 6 are still in the Cup so won't play that GW unless they are knocked out in Rounds 4 or 5.

Benimar wrote: »
    Where are you getting that from? 4 of those 6 are still in the Cup so won't play that GW unless they are knocked out in Rounds 4 or 5.

Think it was a prediction of the outcome of the games that have been drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

With wildcard used I'll probably look to build toward the smaller doubles and the blank and then use FH in 26 I guess.

I always hate playing FH in a blank, and I was gonna do it in GW18 till I got on to the Busts plan.
    As me and you both wildcarded in 18 and BB in 19 and have FH and TC left.
    My initial thoughts are to FH in 29 and TC in 26 spurs will have 2 nice fixtures. I think we will have most of the good Dgw 26 players already. City and spurs will have a double as will villa . With us wildcarding last week thats atleast 6 of those players. With BB used this week we only need to focus on 11 players for DGW 26. The people that wildcard before DGW and used the FH last week will really struggle combining the 2 squads for GW 26 and 29. There will be a trade off. It's why I was convinced wildcard in 18 was best for me as you could deal with a blank, a double and a BB in one move. Due to good teams having a game in the blank and a double the next week. This cant happen in the transition between 26 and 29. CSF is in a good place as he can wildcard into the dgw and still FH in 29 . There wont be many with both those chips left. I think the way the fixtures are looking FH is as valuable as wildcard from now on and I'm totally at ease with having used the 2nd wildcard.

As me and you both wildcarded in 18 and BB in 19 and have FH and TC left.
    My initial thoughts are to FH in 29 and TC in 26 spurs will have 2 nice fixtures. I think we will have most of the good Dgw 26 players already. City and spurs will have a double as will villa . With us wildcarding last week thats atleast 6 of those players. With BB used this week we only need to focus on 11 players for DGW 26. The people that wildcard before DGW and used the FH last week will really struggle combining the 2 squads for GW 26 and 29. There will be a trade off. It's why I was convinced wildcard in 18 was best for me as you could deal with a blank, a double and a BB in one move. Due to good teams having a game in the blank and a double the next week. This cant happen in the transition between 26 and 29. CSF is in a good place as he can wildcard into the dgw and still FH in 29 . There wont be many with both those chips left. I think the way the fixtures are looking FH is as valuable as wildcard from now on and I'm totally at ease with having used the 2nd wildcard.

Is there likely to be a smaller DGW that could have good upside for either a FH or TC I wonder?

Will depend on the BGW fixtures also.

I always prefer to FH in a DGW, it's more fun if nothing else, but I'll do whatever works best. (aka whatever you tell me to do :D)

• Advertisement

Also I'm absolutely at ease with having used second wildcard give I've risen nearly 1.2m in rank in GW18 & 19 so far!

Advertisement