Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭Ronney

Just checked mine there and was expecting a bill but the amount doesn't seam to add up.

On the PUP for 6 weeks from March/April received €1750

Received €490 for 2 weeks parental leave in Feb (Employer paid me also less the €490

Total received - €2240

Revenue looking for €1492.58 (66%)

on the other side I'm due a refund of €9.15 on USC...?

Any Ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

My salary actually increased slightly (by about €300) on the two months I was on the WSS, any other month there was no reduction in my salary so I'm satisfied I was paid what I was due throughout the year. Boss kept reminding us not to spend the money because revenue would be looking for it back.

Edit: I should also clarify that our boss did give us notice that we were going on the WSS explaining the rational, so it was all very transparent.

I'll have a chat with the boss later today but I'm not going to hold my breath because he'll probably say it was expected.

Just to clarify again, will I be facing a €28 monthly deduction, or an annual €337 charge?

Follow-up to this, I'm in the middle of applying for the HTB scheme as a group. Waiting for Revenue to answer but I presume the above will have to be paid off in full before we can proceed.

So much for €28 per month. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Processing request all weekend long. Website was slow on Friday. SOL is available but just won't let me view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

€200 underpayment

Was expecting much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Underpayment of €1349.84, about what I expected for 2 months, but still stings that I'm ultimately losing money because my boss chose to go on the scheme only to change his mind a few weeks later because things improved.

To be paid with a reduction of my tax credits by €337.46 every year from 2022 to 2025. Is this going to be monthly from every pay slip (so approx €28 per month deduction) or will it be on every tax return at the start of the year?
    My salary actually increased slightly (by about €300) on the two months I was on the WSS, any other month there was no reduction in my salary so I'm satisfied I was paid what I was due throughout the year. Boss kept reminding us not to spend the money because revenue would be looking for it back.

Edit: I should also clarify that our boss did give us notice that we were going on the WSS explaining the rational, so it was all very transparent.

I'll have a chat with the boss later today but I'm not going to hold my breath because he'll probably say it was expected.

Just to clarify again, will I be facing a €28 monthly deduction, or an annual €337 charge?

This doesn't make sense to me. You got a pay rise (Gross) for two month of 300, did you end up with the same tax home pay in those two months?

If I am following you, you would have ended up with a higher net for the months that you were in the scheme, which is what is giving rise to your tax liability as this increased net pay was due to the lack of tax reduction on you gross for those month. Is that right?

If that is the case, then you ended up with more money in your pocket, and as your boss rightly pointed out it was only temporary. You can now choose to pay it off in one go, or split over four years of reduced tax credits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Jesus wept, I'm totally new to this SOL stuff and navigating the portal, a throve of info.

I decided to look back arlt archived documents and was shocked to see an SOL for 2007 (up until the weekend, I'd no idea what an SOL was :)

To my disbelief, I saw I had a refund of over €1200 which I never received, indeed the address on it was previous address (work) as the business I was in involved back and forth to the states and own house rented out.

I'd actually left the job and address in question after this SOL and presumably refund was issued. I've raised a query with revenue, I honestly don't recall ever getting that refund. I won't hold my breath but just amazed to find this. Not sure if there's a statute of limitations on revenue refunds :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Ouch, hit with an underpayment of 2500 there, thought it would be a few hundred, was on TWSS for about 6 weeks and then furloughed for a further 6 weeks (on PUP) before back to full paid work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I'm just going to pay it back through reduced tax credits, 4 euro a week for 200 weeks.
    How does this work? Is it done automatically or something I have to set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,815 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Leroy42 wrote: »
    This doesn't make sense to me. You got a pay rise (Gross) for two month of 300, did you end up with the same tax home pay in those two months?

If I am following you, you would have ended up with a higher net for the months that you were in the scheme, which is what is giving rise to your tax liability as this increased net pay was due to the lack of tax reduction on you gross for those month. Is that right?

If that is the case, then you ended up with more money in your pocket, and as your boss rightly pointed out it was only temporary. You can now choose to pay it off in one go, or split over four years of reduced tax credits.

The increased income was net in those 2 months, I got an extra €680 or so over those 2 months which is pretty much half of the final bill.

And yes the above was what I was thinking, and I had been factoring in that expense as advised by my employer the whole time, so yeah, pretty much all as I expected :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

raclle wrote: »
    How does this work? Is it done automatically or something I have to set up?

It will be automatic, tax credits will be adjusted in 2022

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Any idea how long it takes for refund to be processed on overpayment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

smurf492 wrote: »

I don't know but I'm in danger of giving myself Repetitive Strain Injury from logging into my bank account to check. :rolleyes: I've heard five days max.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

I don't know but I'm in danger of giving myself Repetitive Strain Injury from logging into my bank account to check. I've heard five days max.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Its telling me I cant get my statement of liability as myself or my spouse was registered for income tax during the year? Should I call them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Over the weekend it said I had overpaid 1200 euro and was due a refund. TWSS for my husband said 0.00

Now there is nothing about an overpayment for me. His TWSS still says 0.00 when I log in but he is in work and seeing a different figure and only a minor under payment of tax for 99.

Either way, is it likely that they used my 1200 overpayment to offset his under payment? We are married sure, but my 1200 is mine not his and he would prefer to pay using adjusted tax credits over time than in a lump sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

jrosen wrote: »
    Its telling me I cant get my statement of liability as myself or my spouse was registered for income tax during the year? Should I call them?

SOL are for PAYE employees only. If you or your spouse have other non-PAYE income your will need to submit a Form 11 through ROS to assess your liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

For everyone getting underpayment bills, make sure your gross pay and the amount you were given on TWSS is correct. Both of mine are wrong which has led to an inflated bill, my employer is correcting the mistake now

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Over the weekend it said I had overpaid 1200 euro and was due a refund. TWSS for my husband said 0.00

Now there is nothing about an overpayment for me. His TWSS still says 0.00 when I log in but he is in work and seeing a different figure and only a minor under payment of tax for 99.

Either way, is it likely that they used my 1200 overpayment to offset his under payment? We are married sure, but my 1200 is mine not his and he would prefer to pay using adjusted tax credits over time than in a lump sum.

As you are jointly assessed for tax purposes any refund due will be offset against any underpayment.

The only way for this to not happen is if you had requested Separate Assessment.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/marital-status/marriage-and-civil-partnerships/separate-assessment.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Underpaid by 507...No word from my employer as to weather they will cover it...but either way I'm ok with that, as I had 1500 ear marked for possible tax

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Tiafleur

donfers wrote: »
    Ouch, hit with an underpayment of 2500 there, thought it would be a few hundred, was on TWSS for about 6 weeks and then furloughed for a further 6 weeks (on PUP) before back to full paid work.

That seems like too much to owe. It was only 12 weeks on twss and pup combined. Calculate how much your income was for those 12 weeks and see if that figure of 2500 is correct. I imagine you were paying the correct tax during the rest of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cnbyz

smurf492 wrote: »

few days after you got the SOL. If the amount is high then theres an additional check which adds few more days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

I am seeeing that in 2017 and 2018 that I can submit my Income Tax Return still? Should I be doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Luap wrote: »
    I am seeeing that in 2017 and 2018 that I can submit my Income Tax Return still? Should I be doing this?

If you want to claim tax relief for something in those years, you've additional non PAYE income to declare or you've been taxed incorrectly, then away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mariemoon

Darc19 wrote: »
    I can't see the issue anyone can have.

If you were claiming normal jobseekers allowance, that would be taxed too.

At the end of the day, no one is paying any additional taxes and anyone that was on the pup all year will have no tax due or a miniscule amount.

Employers should at least pay for the tax since they are getting free staff.
    My other place got the 70% help from the government and didn't top up the other 30 %. I was underpaid and worki through a pandemic. I really think Employers should pay for this tax in exchange of getting free staff..
    Its not fair with all the essential workers. Not even mentioning business that were actually doing well and got the subsidised benefit, which was my case, I worked in a lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

mariemoon wrote: »
    My other place got the 70% help from the government and didn't top up the other 30 %. I was underpaid and worki through a pandemic. I really think Employers should pay for this tax in exchange of getting free staff..
    Its not fair with all the essential workers. Not even mentioning business that were actually doing well and got the subsidised benefit, which was my case, I worked in a lab.

100%!!

Speaking of companies doing well, my husbands company said he didn't need to apply for the twss but was doing so just because he could!
    Husband now has a tax bill of 1200euro to pay!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

mariemoon wrote: »

agreed.

My job claimed it from the moment it was available until the end of august.
    We are up 20percent last year compared to the previous year (april-may was a write off, very little happening) but from june onwards its been an absolutely crazy year. So it more then made up for them 2 months. All the while we were working for basically free from there perspective. Maybe thats how they are up 20percent, from not having to pay employees :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

€2,050 underpaid... raging at this. We weren't even told that we'd be on the TWSS; only found out after the first pay slip back in April. Any advice here? Contact boss in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭gaz15

Anyone else still having trouble getting access to view the SoL? It's saying it's available to view but when I click on it I'm still getting a pop up saying it'll be available to view soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

€2,050 underpaid... raging at this. We weren't even told that we'd be on the TWSS; only found out after the first pay slip back in April. Any advice here? Contact boss in the morning?

Also noticed that my income for the year was 5000 or so less than previous year even though I was on the same wage as 2019, so going on Leroy42's post from this morning about agreed upon salary, I'll be speaking to my boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Underpaid by 1,100.
    Checked my slips, I was overpaid by 185 while on covid payments.
    Company was in rude health. We shouldn't have been on it as long as we were. This is where the anger is in my job.
    Make me sick really, went to work and end up nearly 1,000 net down. Poxy

Advertisement