Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭magoo84

magoo84 wrote: »
    Anyone else still seeing "We are processing your most recent request. Your Statement of Liability will be available after 15th January." ? It's quite a strange way of phrasing it and clearly not correct.

Now it's saying "We are processing your most recent request. Your Statement of Liability will be available shortly." Revenue clearly like keep people in suspense.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Aurelian

Its almost like the TWSS was a temporary loan you now have to pay back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 cyc1337

Aurelian wrote: »

Yeah, a loan to the employer which his employees now have to pay back.

It's crystal clear - the employer hasn't paid out the agreed gross salary in the employment contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Trying to wrap my head around this.. should my underpayment not be equal to the different in wages before and during the TWSS?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

For anyone in a rush to find out and its not available, you should be able to work it out handy enough.
    Your 2020 employment details summary is available on revenue my account showing what tax you paid last year.
    Then go on to a tax calculator online, Google deloitte tax calculator, its a good one.
    The tax calculator will show what tax you should have paid normally.
    Then subtract one from the other.
    I did this, I owe about 800 euro, forget the exact figure.
    I'm just going to pay it back through reduced tax credits, 4 euro a week for 200 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I'm just going to pay it back through reduced tax credits, 4 euro a week for 200 weeks.
    Is there a limited time to pay it back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

kazamo wrote: »
    The employee didn’t receive an extra 1,700 last year into their bank account.

The scheme enabled the employer to pay as little as possible from the 28th March to the 31st August to the employee.
    And now any claw back comes out of the employee while the employer benefitted regardless of circumstances.

TWSS should have been taxable from day one, they knew it was a problem in Revenue when they switched everyone to Week1/Month1 in June.
    Instead of not making the a bad situation worse, they let the tax liabilities mount for a further few months.
    But hey, what’s the problem, it didn’t affect them.

I'm not disputing that. Employers have completely benefited from this. My point is that I'm not sure what good it is having a discussion with your employer or boss now. Sure, you can make them feel bad by telling them you have a huge tax bill, but I don't see them helping in any way. Maybe a bonus to the amount of tax you now owe but I really don't see that happening. Don't get me wrong, I've been shafted too, and I think employers could have let their employees know this was going to happen eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

a piece of it, certainly less than 50% of it, and your job didn't disappear and so you didn't end up on even less on welfare.

The employee didn’t receive an extra 1,700 last year into their bank account.

The scheme enabled the employer to pay as little as possible from the 28th March to the 31st August to the employee.
    And now any claw back comes out of the employee while the employer benefitted regardless of circumstances.

TWSS should have been taxable from day one, they knew it was a problem in Revenue when they switched everyone to Week1/Month1 in June.
    Instead of not making the a bad situation worse, they let the tax liabilities mount for a further few months.
    But hey, what’s the problem, it didn’t affect them.

Not the case, minimum 25% reduction in turnover it says on website

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Still waiting here. Wish they would hurry up and tell me so I know if I can spend the tax money I saved or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mamaz

How long does it take to be available to view the Statement of Liability? I submitted it a night or two ago. It's showing as available but when I click it it reverts and says check again later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Mines available only since this morning, wasn't there last night. So worth checking again, anyone who's waiting on it. (Didn't receive an email BTW.)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Wolftown

Mines available only since this morning, wasn't there last night. So worth checking again, anyone who's waiting on it. (Didn't receive an email BTW.)

Thanks for posting, I wouldn't have bothered checking mine today otherwise. Payment due back to me, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

petes wrote: »
    Underpaid by just over €1200! Employer is paying it.

Our employer notified us on Friday that he’ll take care of all the bills for employees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭malinheader

Can anyone tell me if the TWSS and PUP has the tax deducted before you receive it now.

raclle wrote: »
    Is there a limited time to pay it back?

Yes, 4 years. Mine is available now. It shows method of payment as reduction in credits of 211 a year for next 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

When I view the Statement of Liability for myself and my husband it shows 0.00 for TWSS. My husband's employer used this for a couple of months, is the 0.00 an error on the part of payroll or Revenue?

I have an overpayment of 1200 which is due to be refunded to me but I don't want to submit the review if it's going to come back to bite us. Is he best to raise it with payroll?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Cash_Q wrote: »
    When I view the Statement of Liability for myself and my husband it shows 0.00 for TWSS. My husband's employer used this for a couple of months, is the 0.00 an error on the part of payroll or Revenue?

I have an overpayment of 1200 which is due to be refunded to me but I don't want to submit the review if it's going to come back to bite us. Is he best to raise it with payroll?

Best for him to get payroll to check as revenue use the data supplied by employer.

He should export his pay details and get them to check. Firstly check month by month with his payslips as it should be obvious on those if he was on it as if he compares his Jan/Feb payslips to ones post march as his tax figure will drop substantially

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

sheroman01 wrote: »
    I'm not disputing that. Employers have completely benefited from this. My point is that I'm not sure what good it is having a discussion with your employer or boss now. Sure, you can make them feel bad by telling them you have a huge tax bill, but I don't see them helping in any way. Maybe a bonus to the amount of tax you now owe but I really don't see that happening. Don't get me wrong, I've been shafted too, and I think employers could have let their employees know this was going to happen eventually.

I had a discussion with my employer about it before Christmas.
    Response was, you won’t even notice it coming out of your wages each week over the four years.
    I had a good idea of my liability but my employer couldn’t care less.
    He was extremely disappointed when the scheme ended and we hadn’t any hope in qualifying for EWSS.

This was a badly designed scheme and it wasn’t hard for the vast majority of businesses to show the 25% drop in Turnover between Q1 and Q2.

Revenue should have prevented businesses to continue claiming from June if
    - Turnover for Q3 was higher or likely to be higher than Q1 or
    - hiring significant numbers of new staff while still claiming TWSS

We did both of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Cash_Q wrote: »

Perhaps your husbands employer decided to pay the money claimed, back.
    I know of a couple who did it.

A phone call to the payroll department should clarify or it should be on his payslips.
    To fix this, payroll would have had to post an adjustment on the payslip to remove the TWSS and show the pay reapplied to your husbands payslip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,236 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So Labour want these tax bills scrapped?
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/finance-minister-urged-to-axe-covid-related-tax-bills-as-revenue-seeks-458m-in-unpaid-tax-39976296.html

They want to hand people €350 per week tax free?

If it does happen, some people won't want to go back to work!

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

My SOL was available this morning, wasn't there last night.
    Thanks for the heads up from previous posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Siobh73

NIMAN wrote: »
    So Labour want these tax bills scrapped?
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/finance-minister-urged-to-axe-covid-related-tax-bills-as-revenue-seeks-458m-in-unpaid-tax-39976296.html

They want to hand people €350 per week tax free?

If it does happen, some people won't want to go back to work!

I think a differentiation should be made for those who continued to work as normal for less income. Fair enough if you were on short time or not at work at all, of course you wouldn't expect to have the same income. However, if you were still expected to come to work through all the fear and uncertainty of last year to keep your employer's business going, why should you be penalised and the employer benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Aurelian

Was there a salary cap on eligibility for who could receive the TWSS? If you earned 80k for example could you still receive it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

I had a discussion with my employer about it before Christmas.
    Response was, you won’t even notice it coming out of your wages each week over the four years.
    I had a good idea of my liability but my employer couldn’t care less.
    Your response should've been "ah sure you won't even notice if I leave a half an hour earlier every day for 2 years to make up for the shortfall in my wages".

Lundstram wrote: »
    Your response should've been "ah sure you won't even notice if I leave a half an hour earlier every day for 2 years to make up for the shortfall in my wages".

More like 15 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Siobh73 wrote: »
    I think a differentiation should be made for those who continued to work as normal for less income. Fair enough if you were on short time or not at work at all, of course you wouldn't expect to have the same income. However, if you were still expected to come to work through all the fear and uncertainty of last year to keep your employer's business going, why should you be penalised and the employer benefit?

That's the nub of the problem. I know in my brother's company they had to account for each hour working from home with regular conference calls on what could be done to keep everyone productive. All the while the company was getting practically free labour while providing a service classed as essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I've about €430 in receipts for health expenses added to the receipt tracker, but my expenses for the year actually came to €700. I would never throw a receipt away but can't place my hand to a few of my monthly prescription receipts.

Anyone know if they'll look for proof for the other €270? I'll keep looking but don't want to go to the hassle of asking my pharmacy for it when they're probably busy enough.

Was there a salary cap on eligibility for who could receive the TWSS? If you earned 80k for example could you still receive it?

Yes the cap was 960 a week net pay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Pistachio19

I've about €430 in receipts for health expenses added to the receipt tracker, but my expenses for the year actually came to €700. I would never throw a receipt away but can't place my hand to a few of my monthly prescription receipts.

Anyone know if they'll look for proof for the other €270? I'll keep looking but don't want to go to the hassle of asking my pharmacy for it when they're probably busy enough.

Assuming you collect your medicine from the one chemist, they can possibly print off a list for the year. We never get a receipt with our medication. Each January I request a list of the amount spent for the previous year. It lists the amount spent per month.

Advertisement