Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Assuming you collect your medicine from the one chemist, they can possibly print off a list for the year. We never get a receipt with our medication. Each January I request a list of the amount spent for the previous year. It lists the amount spent per month.

Thanks a mil! I’m only missing two months of prescriptions and one GP receipt. We’ll see what happens anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Best for him to get payroll to check as revenue use the data supplied by employer.

Thanks he plans to email first thing tomorrow.
    He should export his pay details and get them to check. Firstly check month by month with his payslips as it should be obvious on those if he was on it as if he compares his Jan/Feb payslips to ones post march as his tax figure will drop substantially

Ok thanks he has all his payslips on email.
    kazamo wrote:
    Perhaps your husbands employer decided to pay the money claimed, back. I know of a couple who did it.

That would be unreal, but unlikely. They would have shouted it from the rooftops if they did, I know they had to come off it because they weren't making enough of a loss, but surely they would have told the staff if they repaid it and no taxes would be due.
    kazamo wrote:
    A phone call to the payroll department should clarify or it should be on his payslips. To fix this, payroll would have had to post an adjustment on the payslip to remove the TWSS and show the pay reapplied to your husbands payslip.

Not sure what you mean by the final sentence? To fix what?... do you mean if they did repay the money claimed? They came off the TWSS after a couple of months..

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭fennor72

3k underpayment, which is wrong because revenue are saying I've received 6500 on the TWSS but I received 4600 so I'm guessing the wrong amount has been submitted
    The only winner here is some employers
    We worked all through the Pandemic while on the TWSS so effectively they got our labour for a quarter for what they normally pay us....what a ride of a racket

• Registered Users Posts: 8,947 ✭✭✭duffman13

Cash_Q wrote: »

That would be unreal, but unlikely. They would have shouted it from the rooftops if they did, I know they had to come off it because they weren't making enough of a loss, but surely they would have told the staff if they repaid it and no taxes would be due.

If they didn't hit the 25% and decided to come off it then they may have decided to pay it back to avoid a revenue check. Company I work with was 24% down but bounced back in Q3 and Q4 so paid it back on the basis they actualized losses in Q2 weren't as bad as March/April indicated they might be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

The working person is always the looser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

I've about €430 in receipts for health expenses added to the receipt tracker, but my expenses for the year actually came to €700. I would never throw a receipt away but can't place my hand to a few of my monthly prescription receipts.

Anyone know if they'll look for proof for the other €270? I'll keep looking but don't want to go to the hassle of asking my pharmacy for it when they're probably busy enough.
    Pharmacist here, ask in your pharmacy. They can reprint all prescription receipts or even better, a yearly statement. Takes two minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,654 ✭✭✭shmeee

Can anyone tell me if the TWSS and PUP has the tax deducted before you receive it now.

TWSS was replaced by the EWSS since September. EWSS is taxed on your payslip now, normal PAYE procedure has resumed.

PUP isn't, as it's received directly into your account. It is included on your earnings and will be taxed accordingly by review the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Checked my Sol just there.
    I owe just a little over 750.
    Has to be wrong to be honest.
    I reckon I owe about 2k+
    Dunno how they worked it out

Also my credits seem wrong

Says I'm getting 1713 credit for personal, employee tax credits and spcc credits
    Should this not be 1650 each?
    Twss says I've gotten 7700 from that plus 25000 from job. Which seems right but tax end of it makes no sense
    468 underpayment tax and 300 úsc underpayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

duffman13 wrote:
    If they didn't hit the 25% and decided to come off it then they may have decided to pay it back to avoid a revenue check. Company I work with was 24% down but bounced back in Q3 and Q4 so paid it back on the basis they actualized losses in Q2 weren't as bad as March/April indicated they might be.

Ok thank you hopefully that is the case!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Checked my Sol just there.
    I owe just a little over 750.
    Has to be wrong to be honest.
    I reckon I owe about 2k+
    Dunno how they worked it out

Also my credits seem wrong

Says I'm getting 1713 credit for personal, employee tax credits and spcc credits
    Should this not be 1650 each?
    Twss says I've gotten 7700 from that plus 25000 from job. Which seems right but tax end of it makes no sense
    468 underpayment tax and 300 úsc underpayment.

On the tax credits, it looks like it was a 27 pay period year. Am I right in thinking you’re paid fortnightly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cnbyz

how is it that some folks already got their SOLs and i didnt. Last year because of an issue in the new system i got mine in April. Yes April. It was May the year before. I pay whopping 52 % tax on everything i earn (salary, stock etc) . I believe i deserve equal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Pharmacist here, ask in your pharmacy. They can reprint all prescription receipts or even better, a yearly statement. Takes two minutes

Appreciate that, seperate question if I may, not sure if you've an answer. For those on full medical card, prescription charges covered, however there's government levies. Whilst not high, in my own case it adds up to €10 per month, I've never bothered querying if this classified as a medical expense or not. Over 4 years it's added up. Thanks in advance, anyone who can advise.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

5c underpayment here....that's good I suppose.

Now to sit down and put through medical expenses, WFH etc

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Appreciate that, seperate question if I may, not sure if you've an answer. For those on full medical card, prescription charges covered, however there's government levies. Whilst not high, in my own case it adds up to €10 per month, I've never bothered querying if this classified as a medical expense or not. Over 4 years it's added up. Thanks in advance, anyone who can advise.

Yes, they are a medical expense and can be claimed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

cnbyz wrote: »
    . I pay whopping 52 % tax on everything i earn (salary, stock etc) . I believe i deserve equal service.

Are you the only person in Ireland to get no tax credits and no standard rate?
    Seems unfair.

duffman13 wrote: »
    Yes, they are a medical expense and can be claimed for.

Great, wasn't sure, seemed petty to claim but I've an underpayment of €239 so every penny counts I guess, thanks

Great, wasn't sure, seemed petty to claim but I've an underpayment of €239 so every penny counts I guess, thanks

Yeah it was in a revenue circular last year. 100%, every penny counts given the year in it

duffman13 wrote: »
    Yeah it was in a revenue circular last year. 100%, every penny counts given the year in it

Oddly enough, when I went in to look around (first time ever), they had a record that I'm in receipt of medical card, so I thought, Hmmmm.

I should note, I'd rather not have one and sincerely appreciate it, I'd be bankrupt without it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

cnbyz wrote: »
    how is it that some folks already got their SOLs and i didnt. Last year because of an issue in the new system i got mine in April. Yes April. It was May the year before. I pay whopping 52 % tax on everything i earn (salary, stock etc) . I believe i deserve equal service.

No you don't.
    With tax credits, lower rate for a while and my pension contributions I don't pay top rate until I'm into the 40,000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Is there somewhere to enter your Twss payments? I'm guessing my employer is one of the 5600 who didn't send stuff to Revenue as my Employment summary shows no income from April-June.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Underpayment of €1349.84, about what I expected for 2 months, but still stings that I'm ultimately losing money because my boss chose to go on the scheme only to change his mind a few weeks later because things improved.

To be paid with a reduction of my tax credits by €337.46 every year from 2022 to 2025. Is this going to be monthly from every pay slip (so approx €28 per month deduction) or will it be on every tax return at the start of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Interesting, I pay about €16 a month on mine, plus another €16ish for Thiamine supplements (which are on my prescription but not covered by medical card as they are not a prescription medicine.) Never even thought of claiming.

So I can claim for the government levies, but probably not for the Thiamine? Does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Where do you fill in if you want to pay a limp sum or pay it back over the 4 years?

Where do you fill in if you want to pay a limp sum or pay it back over the 4 years?

I think after you complete returns and after confirmed, that option becomes available, there is a payment section on the portal, I've not gone there yet as have just completed returns and recieved email confirming and they'll come back etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

If you're due a refund for example unused tax credits I'm assuming the underpaynent for twss/pup won't automatically come off this overpayment given it doesn't have to be paid back until 2022 onwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

paulb06 wrote: »
    If you're due a refund for example unused tax credits I'm assuming the underpaynent for twss/pup won't automatically come off this overpayment given it doesn't have to be paid back until 2022 onwards?

They'll all be lumped together. So you either have a refund due or an underpayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,565 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Underpayment of €1349.84, about what I expected for 2 months, but still stings that I'm ultimately losing money because my boss chose to go on the scheme only to change his mind a few weeks later because things improved.

To be paid with a reduction of my tax credits by €337.46 every year from 2022 to 2025. Is this going to be monthly from every pay slip (so approx €28 per month deduction) or will it be on every tax return at the start of the year?

Your company should absolutely pay this.

Your employment contract, I am assuming, states your salary in gross terms. Nothing about tax home pay, as this is outside the company responsibility.

Add up your wage slips for 2020. Did the company pay you the agreed wages? If not, then they need to have obtained your agreement to accept what is essentially a pay reduction. It is perfectly acceptable to reduce a person's wages, but it must be by agreement (one can argue about the ability of an employee to not agree but that is a different argument).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Leroy42 wrote: »

Your employment contract, I am assuming, states your salary in gross terms. Nothing about tax home pay, as this is outside the company responsibility.

Add up your wage slips for 2020. Did the company pay you the agreed wages? If not, then they need to have obtained your agreement to accept what is essentially a pay reduction. It is perfectly acceptable to reduce a person's wages, but it must be by agreement (one can argue about the ability of an employee to not agree but that is a different argument).

My salary actually increased slightly (by about €300) on the two months I was on the WSS, any other month there was no reduction in my salary so I'm satisfied I was paid what I was due throughout the year. Boss kept reminding us not to spend the money because revenue would be looking for it back.

Edit: I should also clarify that our boss did give us notice that we were going on the WSS explaining the rational, so it was all very transparent.

I'll have a chat with the boss later today but I'm not going to hold my breath because he'll probably say it was expected.

Just to clarify again, will I be facing a €28 monthly deduction, or an annual €337 charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭antimatterx

wpd wrote: »
    so i was lucky to work right through the lock downs however
    my employer used TWSS to pay me for 12 weeks
    I still came out with same net as on a salary so no extra benefit to me

my employer got on average 25k for 12 weeks

now i am getting a tax bill even though i earned nothing extra during year
    so i am worse off while my supplier has had its profits increased

this seems very unfair to me and i will be contacting my local fianna fail td about it to explain
    to me how this is equitable
    Before i do am i wrong in my understanding in any of the above??

Don't forget the important envelope when you go. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Leroy42 wrote: »

This is what we did. Our company put us on scheme without any notice and we told them our agreement was on gross pay not nett pay. We stuck to our guns and they agreed to pay what tax was owed .

Advertisement