Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today the tax day - revenue.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

€2,050 underpaid... raging at this. We weren't even told that we'd be on the TWSS; only found out after the first pay slip back in April. Any advice here? Contact boss in the morning?

The first thing you need to check is what pay your employer gave you in relation to your actual net pay? Was it the same or was it greater?

Many employers topped employees up to their gross pay. Therefore having to pay tax on that figure is fully acceptable. But when your take home pay is down (as not taxed at source), then you are getting a hard deal and need to get onto your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

shmeee wrote: »
    The first thing you need to check is what pay your employer gave you in relation to your actual net pay? Was it the same or was it greater?

Many employers topped employees up to their gross pay. Therefore having to pay tax on that figure is fully acceptable. But when your take home pay is down (as not taxed at source), then you are getting a hard deal and need to get onto your employer.

Mine was topped up by my employer buty take-home pay always remained the same, same with my husband, neither of us got a cent more than we should and we both have tax bills!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭capefear

shmeee wrote: »

as far as I remember employers were only allowed top up to the employees normal net wage not gross pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

gaz15 wrote: »
    Anyone else still having trouble getting access to view the SoL? It's saying it's available to view but when I click on it I'm still getting a pop up saying it'll be available to view soon

When I click view it brings me to my documents inbox but all that’s there are my tax credits certs. It worked for me this morning. I need to work out how much of the liability is mine and how much is my husbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xtreme rebel

With regards to claiming pharmacy prescriptions as medical costs, does that include prescriptions for children in the family too or is it just both parents? No medical card involved here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

If you don't bother going in to click and see your SOL and you owe money what happens then

kala85 wrote: »
    If you don't bother going in to click and see your SOL and you owe money what happens then

thats a good question. I remember been told before by one of the tax refund agents if you dont request a balancing statement (p21) as it was called you wont owe the revenue anything as its all automated. If at any stage you requested the P21 within the four years deadline for say a mortgage application then you will trigger the liability, but if you dont you wont trigger it. I wonder is it the same for the SOL I assume it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Docked out of your salary over the course of 4 years beginning in Jan '22.

ie if you owed €2,400 your tax credit certificates for '22-'25 would be such that your payroll department would take €50 a month more than normal out of your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

capefear wrote: »
    thats a good question. I remember been told before by one of the tax refund agents if you dont request a balancing statement (p21) as it was called you wont owe the revenue anything as its all automated. If at any stage you requested the P21 within the four years deadline for say a mortgage application then you will trigger the liability, but if you dont you wont trigger it. I wonder is it the same for the SOL I assume it is.

No, if the SoL is there then it's too late.

I hate to be spiky in current times when people are getting bad news but let's be adults about it, if not paying was as simple as not opening the PDFs Revenue wouldn't be collecting any money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is anyone else still getting processing request?

• Advertisement

I hate to be spiky in current times when people are getting bad news but let's be adults about it, if not paying was as simple as not opening the PDFs Revenue wouldn't be collecting any money.

No your not been spiky at all, I totally agree and the revenue have spent a lot of money improving their software with paye modernisation etc. I say that its there regardless of weather you open it or not. Im just saying thats the way it use to be, it was the p21 that triggered the debt or refund as far as I remember.

I would say the revenue will start sending letters out as reminders soon enough or before the year end. I know there going paperless with myaccounts etc but they still send out paper letters as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,100 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

With regards to claiming pharmacy prescriptions as medical costs, does that include prescriptions for children in the family too or is it just both parents? No medical card involved here.

Whole family.

You can also claim tax relief if you pay somebody else's medical bills.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

No your not been spiky at all, I totally agree and the revenue have spent a lot of money improving their software with paye modernisation etc. I say that its there regardless of weather you open it or not. Im just saying thats the way it use to be, it was the p21 that triggered the debt or refund as far as I remember.

I would say the revenue will start sending letters out as reminders soon enough or before the year end. I know there going paperless with myaccounts etc but they still send out paper letters as well.

Any underpayment is going to be put into your tax credit cert for the following period, whether or not you request the SOL or not.

This also happened when the P21 was around - anyone in recept of social welfare income in the previous year would automatically have it put onto their tax credit cert the following year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

This would only be the case if your employer had not deducted the tax properly - if you had social welfare income this would be put into the tax credit cert the following year so its the same story with PUP and TWSS. Requesting a P21/SOL establishes whether or not the tax deducted under PAYE was corect or not and in the past if the P21 was not triggered this would remain unknown, but the social welfare income would still go on the TCC.

Revenue got PAYE Modernisation in just in time. Under the old system trying to recoup all the tax from PUP and TWSS properly would have been even more of a nightmare and probably completely undoable.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

gaz15 wrote: »
    Anyone else still having trouble getting access to view the SoL? It's saying it's available to view but when I click on it I'm still getting a pop up saying it'll be available to view soon

Yep. Me too.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭shmeee

Mine was topped up by my employer buty take-home pay always remained the same, same with my husband, neither of us got a cent more than we should and we both have tax bills!

Yes, sorry, I'm wrong!

Tapering would have occurred.

Max wage topped up to would be average net pay for Jan / Feb 2020. Some cases may come out better as working on an hourly pay scale etc and were earning same figure on TWSS but actually doing less work.

The SOL link was there at Christmas before the end of year and in just wondering if you don't request one like a p21 does it all blow over.

Obviously we are now dealing with Revenue who has real time information.

The amount of revenue they have must be absolutely amazing.

Docked out of your salary over the course of 4 years beginning in Jan '22.

ie if you owed €2,400 your tax credit certificates for '22-'25 would be such that your payroll department would take €50 a month more than normal out of your salary.

Have you a reference for this where did you see this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Have you a reference for this where did you see this

My liability statement backs this up, it's being taken out divided equally over 4 years.

Some argue to pay it off straight away and be done, mine is €1000, I'd rather wait for interest to eat into that, €1000 wont be €1000 in 2024.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

As you are jointly assessed for tax purposes any refund due will be offset against any underpayment.

Thanks for that, I cant see why when our tax credits are distributed between us and both of our bank accounts are linked for separate refunds in the event of overpayment. We are two clients not one.

Ros still showing 0.00 for his TWSS which is wrong anyway. Need to keep reviewing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Cash_Q wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I cant see why when our tax credits are distributed between us and both of our bank accounts are linked for separate refunds in the event of overpayment. We are two clients not one.

Ros still showing 0.00 for his TWSS which is wrong anyway. Need to keep reviewing it.

How your credits and rateband are divided between you and your spouse when you are joint assessed determines the amount of tax you each pay each week.

When a review is done at the end of the year both your incomes are combined, and your combined credits and SRCOP are used to calculate whether you were taxed correctly. If one person had spare, unused credits or SRCOP these then pass to the other person, which can trigger a refund.

The only way to be taxed as two entirely separate people is to apply for separate assessment or separate treatment. This cannot be applied for retrospectively. For 2021 you would need to apply for this before the end of March this year.

When a review is done at the end of the year both your incomes are combined, and your combined credits and SRCOP are used to calculate whether you were taxed correctly. If one person had spare, unused credits or SRCOP these then pass to the other person, which can trigger a refund.

Ah ffs I never knew that.. I'm the higher earner and our credits are split in whatever way was most advantageous to us both. I'm sick that they have chosen to take my 1200 refund to offset his underpayemtn when he could have opted to pay it over 4 years like most people will do.

Any idea who I can contact about it to see if theyll reverse this? What a waste of a big lump sum like that. I'm fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Ah ffs I never knew that.. I'm the higher earner and our credits are split in whatever way was most advantageous to us both. I'm sick that they have chosen to take my 1200 refund to offset his underpayemtn when he could have opted to pay it over 4 years like most people will do.

Any idea who I can contact about it to see if theyll reverse this? What a waste of a big lump sum like that. I'm fuming.

Pretty sure it can’t be reversed, you could send through a myEnquiry to be 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well the 4 years spread is designed to help those that are basically losing out to deal with the cost.

As you have money owed to you by Revenue, it doesn't make any sense that they would give you your refund but also give you and interest free loan for 4 years.

I get it that it feels unfair, but in reality people owe tax and the revenue is giving them special allowances given their circumstances. You don't need those circumstances so it would seem pointless to offer them to you.

Leroy42 wrote:
    As you have money owed to you by Revenue, it doesn't make any sense that they would give you your refund but also give you and interest free loan for 4 years.

*give my husband an interest free loan for 4 years
    Leroy42 wrote:
    I get it that it feels unfair, but in reality people owe tax and the revenue is giving them special allowances given their circumstances. You don't need those circumstances so it would seem pointless to offer them to you.

Well in fairness you don't know my circumstances or my need for that 1200 euro. I'm on maternity leave and due to return to work shortly. I was expecting this refund and need it towards childcare costs. Not every married couple lives out of a joint account. I earn more, I cover more expenses, so I'll pay shouldering the brunt of our childcare costs. He would have managed a few euro extra in tax deductions over time but wont manage to contribute an extra 100 per week over 12 weeks towards childcare which is what I need it for to see us through to the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Well in fairness you don't know my circumstances or my need for that 1200 euro. I'm on maternity leave and due to return to work shortly. I was expecting this refund and need it towards childcare costs. Not every married couple lives out of a joint account. I earn more, I cover more expenses, so I'll pay shouldering the brunt of our childcare costs. He would have managed a few euro extra in tax deductions over time but wont manage to contribute an extra 100 per week over 12 weeks towards childcare which is what I need it for to see us through to the summer.

If you don't have joint finances, why did you choose to be assessed as a couple?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

You are treated jointly, you cannot now claim to be different.

I don't need to know your circumstances. You owe tax to the revenue. The revenue owe a refund to you. It makes perfect sense that they would set these off against each other. (I am using you in relation to the revenue account, ie joint party).

None of that removes your right to look for your employer to refund you the tax that you seem to have to pay.

Just to be clear, I get what you are saying, and I agree that it appears somewhat unfair, just that it from a revenue POV it makes perfect sense to act in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Okay, I know it's not exactly ideal... but.. it didn't go to a stranger. You're married to him, you've your tax credits split to your advantage etc. Seems odd to me that you're begrudging your husband the benefit of your surplus. It's not money you ever had in your hand to begin with.

"fuming" over it? Okay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Okay, hands up. I didn't see this. But still you sound very much against your husband here and bitter about it. You're joint assessed for reasons exactly like this.

Advertisement