Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC Fight Night Events Thread - Spoilers Within

Options

Comments

while ye're waiting for the presser: post fight backstage clip with Anik: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lJbZYnckSc Max is still hyper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    Just waiting on the press conference.

This fight must have elevated Max's value hugely, a Conner vs Max fight must now be hotter than anything out there right now. I am sure it will be one of the first questions....

Khabib did say he wanted a spectacular performance to lure him back into the cage...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Still Ill wrote: »
    What a clinic from Max! Couldn't love him more as a fighter and a person. The only thing he's lacking is power. Imagine how good he'd be if he had McGregor-like power.

I don't get the DC hate either.. I usually enjoy his commentary. Good enthusiasm
    DC is the best commentator right now!
    Personally could never warm to him as a fighter but I really enjoy his commentary!
    Max Holloway will be champ again that was insane!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

Khabib did say he wanted a spectacular performance to lure him back into the cage...

dont believe dana selling wolf tickets ;)
    he aint coming back

might get few extra ppv buys next week tho

• Registered Users Posts: 23,841 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I can take or leave dc! I was so wrapped up in that main event though that I coiuldn't even tell you who was commentating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Still Ill wrote: »
    What a clinic from Max! Couldn't love him more as a fighter and a person. The only thing he's lacking is power. Imagine how good he'd be if he had McGregor-like power.

It always seema to be one or the other. I can't think of any ridiculously powerful strikers that can keep it up for 5 rounds without their game dipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    And give Jon Anik the credit he deserves too, dynamic, entertaining and knowledgeable without being a fighter previously. Plus he gets lumbered with 101 adverts to slip in and always manages to do it smoothly that it doesn't annoy you or disrupt the flow of the commentary.

An absolute gent as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

mailburner wrote: »
    I can take or leave dc! I was so wrapped up in that main event though that I coiuldn't even tell you who was commentating

Nail on the head there. For those very familiar with MMA you've actually noticed the same thing the commentary team points out 5-10 seconds later.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

MrStuffins wrote: »
    That was simply incredible! What a performance from Max.

If I was Volkanovski I'd be putting that belt in the post to Max.

Why? Hes beaten him twice in the last 18 months. Max has lost 3 of his last 5. Great last night but a washed up Edgar was his other win of those 5.

Should be a great fight though. Their 2nd fight was very close

• Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    max on another level tonight. the greatest featherweight in ufc history.
    He’s clearly in the mix. But his loses take away from his claim to best ever.
    That was simply incredible! What a performance from Max.

If I was Volkanovski I'd be putting that belt in the post to Max.
    Ah come on. There’s levels to the game.
    It was a savage performance from Max. But that was #2 vrs #7 in there.
    Nobody should get a belt for whooping #7.
    Volk has faced off against Max twice, genuine top2 match, and won twice.

• Advertisement

I'd be more excited for that fight over anything else Conor has lined up, Nate Khabib or Pacquiao included. Wouldn't even care about weight class either. If Poirer is getting a rematch with Conor then surely Max deserves on as well.
    Poiter got the “rematch” because he consistently beat top LWs. And cemented a top 3 spot.

Max is 0-1 at LW.

I like Max. I’d like to see him at LW. But if he fights at 155 in the next 12 months, he loses to the top 3 or 4 guys. He’d need to move up properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭vafankillar

will the mcgregor fight be available to buy in ireland or would you have to find an illegal stream like the cowboy fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

will the mcgregor fight be available to buy in ireland or would you have to find an illegal stream like the cowboy fight?

Available to buy on BT Sport PPV (was the same as the Cerrone fight)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The Nal wrote: »
    Why? Hes beaten him twice in the last 18 months.
    Mellor wrote: »
    Volk has faced off against Max twice, genuine top2 match, and won twice.

Yeah, maybe I got a little carried away :pac:

However......

Volk won the first fight, absolutely.

But he got away with murder in the second. I'd imagine he knows it too.

I wasn't one of the people shouting "robbery" last time out, but I had Max winning and having checked the thread Mellor you were the same at the time.

It was a tight fight, and if I was Volkan I wouldn't want that fight again either. But Max, IMO, is the best FW in the world right now. He just doesn't have the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭vafankillar

callaway92 wrote: »
    Available to buy on BT Sport PPV (was the same as the Cerrone fight)

which means you need the entire subscription before you can even ppv?

or am i thinking of a different fight? tthere was definitely one that you unless you had a subscription or something you couldnt ppv it on a once off like youd expect

I wasn't one of the people shouting "robbery" last time out, but I had Max winning and having checked the thread Mellor you were the same at the time.
    You're right I did say I edge it to Max.
    I also made it clear, prior to the decision that I hadn't been scoring it round by round. As you know, there can be a huge difference between round scores and "I thought XXX won overall". I also mentioned I was in the pub. ;)

Looking at stats post fight, shows a clear drop in Max's sig.strikes from the 3rd onward.
    which means you need the entire subscription before you can even ppv?

or am i thinking of a different fight? tthere was definitely one that you unless you had a subscription or something you couldnt ppv it on a once off like youd expect
    Yes. BT Sports are a subscription channel.
    The reason they pay for the rights to the UFC is to sell subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mellor wrote: »

Yes. BT Sports are a subscription channel.
    The reason they pay for the rights to the UFC is to sell subscriptions.

I don't think you need a BT Subscription to buy on BT Sport Box Office. You can pay a one-off event fee (same price for people that already sub to BT need to pay to get the event)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

callaway92 wrote: »
    I don't think you need a BT Subscription to buy on BT Sport Box Office. You can pay a one-off event fee (same price for people that already sub to BT need to pay to get the event)

correct

in short, you need to have sky to have this fight

you do not need to have BT

you just buy the PPV on BT box office

• Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Holloway I don't think is a real threat at LW

Good solid win the other night

Anyone else not like the belittling and showboating? I mean, it's a damn hard enough sport as it is, without lads humiliating and belittling their opponents who are clearly being dominated and in distress...

I hate to see it in combat sports.....

I never really warmed to Max, and less so now...

And, why do refs allow this? Is it not meant to be a sport that has standards of "fair play" and respect for each other?

Yes, go on and beat each other up....but quit the mocking and belittling and humiliating while you are doing it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

walshb wrote: »
    Holloway I don't think is a real threat at LW

Good solid win the other night

Anyone else not like the belittling and showboating? I mean, it's a damn hard enough sport as it is, without lads humiliating and belittling their opponents who are clearly being dominated and in distress...

I hate to see it in combat sports.....

I never really warmed to Max, and less so now...

And, why do refs allow this? Is it not meant to be a sport that has standards of "fair play" and respect for each other?

Yes, go on and beat each other up....but quit the mocking and belittling and humiliating while you are doing it...

Pretty common in boxing too, don't recall you asking for it to be banned.

• Advertisement

US2 wrote: »
    Pretty common in boxing too, don't recall you asking for it to be banned.

I had a feeling someone would post what you did.....

I know it is common in boxing, and I hate to see it there, too....and of my 1000s of boxing posts, I am sure that I brought it up...

And "my hate to see it in combat sports" reference I thought would have covered combat sports, like boxing and MMA...

But this is the MMA forum...hence I posted here on what I saw the other night...

So, do you have a view on it?

Was wondering what other MMA folks thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,530 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Anyone else not like the belittling and showboating?

I don't mind a little bit of it, like the way Naseem play acted a bit or McGregor with the hands behind the back craic but no look punching and shouting at your opponent isn't a good luck imo.

And we all love seeing when they get KO'd for it!

Even Anderson Silva.

Loved seeing James Gallagher getting nailed aswell.

But when it is happening when you are clearly dominating someone is where I find it bad form, and absolutely should not be tolerated.

These men are putting their lives on the line, and are incredibly brave; it's just the height of arrogance and disrespect to do it when the opponent is clearly hurting and in distress and being dominated....

The sport is tough enough as it is.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I can hear the pearl clutching from here.
    A bit of showboating isn't hurting anyone really, at least not as much as the punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

He was shouting at the commentators and it's not brilliant but it's something he's known for and he's generally very respectful of his opponents.

He was riled up. Probably felt a bit riled up...that people had questioned his ability to come back. Who knows.

If it was a regular occurrence, it would be different,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,149 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Kattar spends week of fight belittling the boxing skills of his opponent.

Opponent spends 25 mins throwing and landing a record number of strikes on Kattar and reminds him of his words while doing so.

I don't see the issue.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I can hear the pearl clutching from here.
    A bit of showboating isn't hurting anyone really, at least not as much as the punches.

But you don't see an issue with belittling/mocking an opponent who is clearly being dominated as an issue?

Max the other night wasn't happy with beating the lad up, he was rubbing in his dominance in a very disrespectful way....that is how I saw it...

I hate to see it in combat sports....

Don't like seeing it in any sport, but in combat sport there is that added kind of pain that exists....added humiliation and hurt.

Just a question: Are there rules in place in MMA as regards sportsmanship and how you behave and conduct yourself in the octagon towards your opponents, his/her teams. the officials etc?

Like taunting an opponent verbally, for example? This is surely not with the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

But you don't see an issue with belittling/mocking an opponent who is clearly being dominated as an issue?

Max the other night wasn't happy with beating the lad up, he was rubbing in his dominance in a very disrespectful way....that is how I saw it...

I hate to see it in combat sports....

Don't like seeing it in any sport, but in combat sport there is that added kind of pain that exists....added humiliation and hurt.
    When that opponent has been belittling Max's abilities on the lead up to the fight? No, I don't. Max went out and showed Calvin there's levels to this and he's not close to on par with Max yet.
    If you can't back up the **** talking and get dominated, suck it up.

These lads punch each other in the face for a living, I'm sure they're well used to the **** talking side of it too.

• Advertisement

Anyone give Max a real chance at LW?

I just don't see it....

He seems to lack that zip/explosiveness type power...

Appears slow and labored, relatively speaking.....accumulation and steady is what he is....I don't think he cuts it at 155 lbs

Advertisement