Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire with Jeremy Clarkson

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Had to laugh at the end when he even answered how many jackpot winners there had been on the show ...........there was a touch of Rainman about him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭jaffa20

The questions really did fall his way which even he admitted. ITV wanted a millionaire winner and it was leaked all to boost ratings but it was enjoyable to watch all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Just watched it now. What a likeable chap and a real slumdog feel about the questions!

I suppose a measure of the man that he didn't phone his brother to tell him was going to beat him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just watched it now. What a likeable chap and a real slumdog feel about the questions!

I suppose a measure of the man that he didn't phone his brother to tell him was going to beat him.

I most certainly would have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I am beginning to wonder if this is a clever fix by the programme makers to boost ratings ?? It all seems a bit too good to be true ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Never mind ringing the brother, I'd have asked Jeremy and watched him squirm over the question before telling him I already know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

He is the head off Donald Pleasance.

In fairness as a history and politics teacher he couldn't have asked for an easier series of questions.
    Up to 16k the questions were all very easy.
    The 50/50 took away the closest answer to the correct one.

Not one modern pop culture , music, literature, sport, science or technology question.

Seems like a very nice fellow though.

I thought the questions fell very nicely too and noted that they were more actual fact based than usual. Not wanting to boast, but the missus was amazed that I got them all right (part knowledge, part deduction and part luck - as with everyone else).... except for the UK Parliament office holder question, but in his position he obviously had a good chance at that.

How are people selected for the prog, what are the odds against two brothers getting the chance? I would have thought that in itself would be a good dollop of luck in the first place and would maybe have used up your quota :)

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I thought the questions fell very nicely too and noted that they were more actual fact based than usual. Not wanting to boast, but the missus was amazed that I got them all right (part knowledge, part deduction and part luck - as with everyone else).... except for the UK Parliament office holder question, but in his position he obviously had a good chance at that.

How are people selected for the prog, what are the odds against two brothers getting the chance? I would have thought that in itself would be a good dollop of luck in the first place and would maybe have used up your quota :)

I can't remember was it the drama based on Charles Ingram or the Panorama special, but in his case both his wife and brother in law got on to play as well as him so it does happen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They rang in constantly, they had a lot of money sunk into it if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I am beginning to wonder if this is a clever fix by the programme makers to boost ratings ?? It all seems a bit too good to be true ?

God almighty. Do people have to bring in bullsh1t conspiracy theories into everything?? Can you simply not think well of the guy without introducing your own paranoia???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Seems so fixed. Not even trying to hide it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,573 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Boost the ratings, a Covid happy story n all that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Is tonight's episode repeated again? I was napping with the TV on in the background. Only woke up and started listening when he was on 250,000 and he still had most of his lifelines. I'd like to catch up with the full episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Yes, the Sunday episode is always repeated the following Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I had a bit of a hunch that the answer was Blackbeard. It's now later that I remember reading it about two years ago. Not enough to risk any money on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Did Virgin show the winning episode?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thargor wrote: »

I've just watched it recorded on Virgin... I've
    deleted it though, so not sure when it was shown but it should be on the player.

What a fantastic player, the luck was with him for sure, but he knew his stuff as well. What a shame though that there wasn't an audience/ crew/ family to be there for the occasion!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Thargor wrote: »

Yes, then I think at 11pm showed his brother win 500k

Virigin showed it tonight but didn't even show the whole season. They literally had spoillers and a preview of the winning moment all week. Ridiculoius. Just broadcast it when ITV are showing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Jeff2

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Virigin showed it tonight but didn't even show the whole season. They literally had spoillers and a preview of the winning moment all week. Ridiculoius. Just broadcast it when ITV are showing it.

Yeah the spoilers this few days were bad.
    Even showed who won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Who is buying the console game? It's on PS4, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch.

9XES2L4EpI_choxsAmryMEgJ1BwaRVeFHPiJt2BOqTzfsip-rfv558oeRJMRk8YRT9M4Dm78Ug9BdnU=s640-c-fcrop64=1,00000000ffffffff-nd

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Wants-Be-Millionaire-PS4/dp/B08FRY9ZHG/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It's a no for me for the game, I had it on PS2, not enough questions, so it overlaps questions alot (especially the smaller amounts)

And because it's play money the risk element is null and void and people guess on the higher amounts like it's nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

New episode tonight at half 9 on ITV. Celebrity version

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

*Anyone see it last night?? - it was look through your fingers car crash TV

how did Clarkson not know the M6 was the longest motorway in the UK, and the earlier question about the Titanic everyone knows the Captain goes down with the ship :rolleyes:

fryup wrote: »
    *Anyone see it last night?? - it was look through your fingers car crash TV

how did Clarkson not know the M6 was the longest motorway in the UK, and the earlier question about the Titanic everyone knows the Captain goes down with the ship :rolleyes:
    It was some of the worst I've ever seen, hate celebrity crap. The questions obviously geared to get a few grand for their charities then above 32k you could practically hear the door slam as they cut them off by asking real questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,981 ✭✭✭Unearthly

New Series starts tomorrow at 8pm on ITV. 6 episodes, airing weekly on Sunday nights

Thanks Unearthly, amazing how this thread is the only way you'd know it even exists. It used to be such a major event in our house as a kid.

I wonder if it's the new season showing on Virgin media too or just the usual repeats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jaffa20 wrote: »
    I wonder if it's the new season showing on Virgin media too or just the usual repeats.

Virgin always seem to get the new series about a week later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Ouch. I felt for your man at the beginning. What a tough question.

Advertisement