Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump discussion Thread IX (threadbanned users listed in OP)

• 16-01-2021 4:25pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,993 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is a continuation of the megathreads for discussing the end of the presidency of Donald Trump, the aftermath such as any legal cases brought against him, his legacy as president and any matters which relate to these subjects.

Please keep discussion civil and constructive and bear the charter in mind before posting.

Update 23/9/20:

Threadbanned users:

Outlaw Pete
    everlast75
    mcmoustache
    lawrencesummers
    RIGOLO

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,999 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have just been watching a run of opinion pieces by Rachel Maddow about the Flint water scandal, the lead up to it and Rick Schnider's power grab. Along with the disenfranchisement of Black voters in the state, the invasion of the Michigan State Capitol, the attempt to kidnap and possibly kill Gov. Whitner, the disabling of her attempts to control the Covid epidemic by the Republican leadership. Just in one state.

Then I got pulled down a rabbit-hole of videos about Home Owners Associations, particularly in Florida, and their legal ability to do anything and everything up to and including taking over people's houses for often spurious and aggressive misdemeanours including opinions on style. The individual cases I would not be concerned about, its a big country and these are just the ones that made youtube.

But elected and professional state bodies not only allow largely self appointed committees to throw their weight about in people's lives, they give them the legislation to do it. This lot are in no way to be compared to our Residents Associations, this is a whole different set up.

My point being that, like the discussion on policing, we are not really speaking the same language of 'democracy' or 'right wing/conservative' or 'left wing' that Americans are. They are on a different planet of what democracy is, they really haven't emerged from the Confederacy era, the 'might is right' and Blacks are not really people ideas. That they claim to bring democracy to the world is insulting to the rest of the world, and tbh, laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

There’s 4 days left I na the Trump presidency. Will we wrap this up in the next 100 posts?

(Probably not. Whatever he plans to do Wednesday, god damn)

To sum up his presidency: an abject failure with a few successes crafted by the people around him that he managed not to completely sabotage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Overheal wrote: »
    There’s 4 days left I na the Trump presidency. Will we wrap this up in the next 100 posts?

To sum up his presidency: an abject failure with a few successes crafted by the people around him that he managed not to completely sabotage.
    Unfortunately we won't get to keep it to 8 threads. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That woman from Texas(I think she’s an estate agent) is on camera saying she deserves a pardon from trump. So that’s two that I’ve heard who are asking for a pardon. Wouldn’t accepting a pardon been seen as admitting guilt ? The trump base don’t believe they’ve done anything wrong though so that would take some mental gymnastics.

It places Trump on the horns of a dilemma. Pardon those two and his fanbase will be reassured that he's behind them. But that would then prove that he supported the insurrection. If he ignores them, then he is publicly throwing them to the wolves. I feel so sorry for The Donald these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw a report that he wants a big **** off exit from Washington DC on Air Force one on Wednesday morning with red carpet and the whole works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I saw a report that he wants a big **** off exit from Washington DC a on Air Force one on Wednesday morning with red carpet and the whole works.

Every news caster last night was just "WTF" with these pronouncements from the White House. It's mad altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I saw a report that he wants a big **** off exit from Washington DC a on Air Force one on Wednesday morning with red carpet and the whole works.

Pentagon declared nopesies to that

https://www.mediaite.com/news/pentagon-confirms-military-will-not-hold-traditional-farewell-ceremony-for-trump/

The suckers and losers want nothing to do with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

It places Trump on the horns of a dilemma. Pardon those two and his fanbase will be reassured that he's behind them. But that would then prove that he supported the insurrection. If he ignores them, then he is publicly throwing them to the wolves.

I agree. I think those rioting fully believed they would be pardoned. They were told they were patriots and to go fight by the president. I dont think any of them thought Trump would do a U-turn and hang them out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I wonder how warm it gets when you have every fireplace filled with burning documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd be happier if I could see his tweets! At least we had some insight into his mood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1350517778407706628?s=21

Yeah because this is normal. Trump and the GOP could stop if not all of this, they could certainly stop most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Yeah because this is normal. Trump and the GOP could stop if not all of this, they could certainly stop most of it.

i'm not sure Trump has the power anymore to stop these people. Its a runaway train until after the 20th when I think it will settle down after.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'd be happier if I could see his tweets! At least we had some insight into his mood!

Self pitying and vengeful.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Pentagon declared nopesies to that

https://www.mediaite.com/news/pentagon-confirms-military-will-not-hold-traditional-farewell-ceremony-for-trump/

The suckers and losers want nothing to do with him.

Officers in the US armed branches are extremely well educated, with most requiring 4 year degrees .. they are probably almost all much more capable of making good decisions than orange man.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,815 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I really hope Trump pardons the rioters

The back fire he and GOP would get would set the GOP back years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Headshot wrote: »
    I really hope Trump pardons the rioters

The back fire he and GOP would get would set the GOP back years

Whats he got...less than 4 days? And how would he even do it, a blanket pardon to anyone charged with and offence at the capitol on jan 6th?
    It would be such a mess i'd nearly like to see him try it myself...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,255 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

retalivity wrote: »
    Whats he got...less than 4 days? And how would he even do it, a blanket pardon to anyone charged with and offence at the capitol on jan 6th?
    It would be such a mess i'd nearly like to see him try it myself...
    Blanket pardon for any patriots who were at capitol hill with exception for the once who killed a police officer (have to be the party of law & order after all) most likely yes. Generic pardons have been done in the past (see Andrew Johnson and the American civil war or Jimmy Carter and draft dodgers). However I think Trump will sulk about the fact he can't pardon himself and refuse to give them out (funnily enough it was up back with Nixon already and the state department said nope can't do) to anyone but his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Absolute fair play to US Capitol Police and being on the ball with this, can only imagine the pressure cooker atmosphere/hope it'll all pass without incident in Washington leading up to Biden & Harris's respective inaugurations on Wednesday.
    What.Now wrote: »
    i'm not sure Trump has the power anymore to stop these people. Its a runaway train until after the 20th when I think it will settle down after.

Oh I'd say this won't settle down with Trump out of office, if anything I think he'll continue playing to his base, unrestrained in not having to apologize/take responsibility for whatever they do in his name.

I hope to be proven wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Absolute fair play to US Capitol Police and being on the ball with this, can only imagine the pressure cooker atmosphere/hope it'll all pass without incident in Washington leading up to Biden & Harris's respective inaugurations on Wednesday.

Oh I'd say this won't settle down with Trump out of office, if anything I think he'll continue playing to his base, unrestrained in not having to apologize/take responsibility for whatever they do in his name.

I hope to be proven wrong though.

My thinking is that without Twitter and him no longer being sitting president the followers will start to lose focus.

The battle call 'Stop The Steal' will be the battle call of the past.

What.Now wrote: »
    My thinking is that without Twitter and him no longer being sitting president the followers will start to lose focus.

The battle call 'Stop The Steal' will be the battle call of the past.

Don't think that will be the case. Your talking about people who have a particular world view, similar to this

https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1350569607300583428?s=19

The whole commie thing is well before trump raised his fake tan head above the political parapet. Your talking decades of conditioning and the fact that people of a certain political/world view have a thing about blood lines and the purity of them.

Sure you could argue that they are suffering from a mental defect/illness or are just a bit thick, and some of them most certainly are, but others are not and are just scrotes.

The fact trump is off Twitter*, and won't be the president in a few days isn't going to change a thing for these people.

* One of his supporters on here has a thread open claiming/celebrating that the number of Twitter users is going down and people are moving to other apps like Telegram. So there is always a online platform that if he so wished trump could move to and start spouting stuff from, like he did as part of the birther movement when Obama was president.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Agree completely. This kind of worldview is something that's been latent in the US for a long time now, but it's just been provided oxygen by the Trump administration over the past four years.

I honestly worry about how the US is going to emerge from this, I wouldn't discount a civil war at this point.

Agree completely. This kind of worldview is something that's been latent in the US for a long time now, but it's just been provided oxygen by the Trump administration over the past four years.

I honestly worry about how the US is going to emerge from this, I wouldn't discount a civil war at this point.

The GOP actually acting like their slogans about law and order and the constitution actually mean anything would be a start.

Nutters in the U.S. even armed nutters isn't something new, I remember seeing programs about the militias and survivalists over there in the 80s and them all waiting for the nuclear fallout to occur with Russia and how they were going to live in the aftermath.

While the GOP was the only party of choice for them back then, if they even voted at all. The problem is that the GOP have increased the sense of persecution these loons have, and of main stream GOP voters, through the likes of fox news to a level that other grifters start to cash in and make even more outrageous claims (being polite as this isn't CA), and just stoking up the situation.

I don't see a civil war happening, because the usual secession crap is normally limited to Texas, and the militias etc would be wiped out. I do see the chance of increased domestic right wing terrorist attacks perhaps occurring similar to the Oklahoma federal building and Atlanta Olympics bombings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

DubInMeath wrote: »
    The whole commie thing is well before trump raised his fake tan head above the political parapet. Your talking decades of conditioning and the fact that people of a certain political/world view have a thing about blood lines and the purity of them.

Trump regularly talks about people having "good genes". He mentions it in a lot of his addresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Thankfully that story is not as horrific as initially reported and he has somewhat apologised for it but obviously left it up for those sweet retweets.

https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1350566269519585280

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I'll be glad to see the back of him. The age of the idiot blossomed under him. He didn't win an emmy, it was rigged. Lost states in the Republican nomination process and there was voter fraud and was rigged against him. Lost the popular vote to Hillary, again fraud. He opens an investigation in to it. They couldn't find anything.

It was obvious this was going to happen if he lost. He's a baby. It is scary how many believe his lies, forgot about right left politics, he's just a complete chancer and a baby.

Misinformation flourished under him. He made masks a political issue and courted deranged fantasies to no end. The pen is mightier than the sword and my word didn't he scribble some toxic crap. Good riddance.

kowloon wrote: »
    Trump regularly talks about people having "good genes". He mentions it in a lot of his addresses.

Given the gene pool he was addressing, good genes is debatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,536 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Twitter have confirmed that Trump's twitter account will not be made available to him after he leaves the presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    I'll be glad to see the back of him. The age of the idiot blossomed under him. He didn't win an emmy, it was rigged. Lost states in the Republican nomination process and there was voter fraud and was rigged against him. Lost the popular vote to Hillary, again fraud. He opens an investigation in to it. They couldn't find anything.

It was obvious this was going to happen if he lost. He's a baby. It is scary how many believe his lies, forgot about right left politics, he's just a complete chancer and a baby.

Misinformation flourished under him. He made masks a political issue and courted deranged fantasies to no end. The pen is mightier than the sword and my word didn't he scribble some toxic crap. Good riddance.

As the days went by and Trump's crazy antics became even more crazy, Jeb Bush's words during the 2016 campaign kept coming back to me:

'Trump is a chaotic candidate and will be an even more chaotic president!'

Not even poor 'low energy' Jeb could have imagined how prophetic those words were. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Thankfully that story is not as horrific as initially reported and he has somewhat apologised for it but obviously left it up for those sweet retweets.

https://twitter.com/CarolLeonnig/status/1350566269519585280
    The Fuller Story: Man stopped with Glock and 500 rounds of ammo near Capitol was private security guard, his family says. He was not accused of showing phony credentials - but a "non-govt." credential -and an officer decided he wasn't authorized to enter.

Is non-govt credentials the 2021 equivalent of alternative facts?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

DubInMeath wrote: »
    I don't see a civil war happening, because the usual secession crap is normally limited to Texas, and the militias etc would be wiped out..

Swings and roundabouts. After Trump won, in 2017/2018, Calexit started trending. All depends on if you think things are going your way at the time.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/24/calexit-plan-to-divorce-california-from-us-is-getting-a-second-chance.html

Not that the rest of the US would be happy to see either TX or CA go. Either would have a huge ramification on the political landscape of the rest of the country.

Advertisement