Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I usually cannot stand Stephanie Preissner or anything that comes out of her mouth, but I have to admit that to me nearly everything she has uttered regarding Covid has made sense.

Aw Cat come on. As long as she parrots the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is considered to be "making sense". If the same person says anything against the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is "not qualified to be speaking about such subjects and should keep her mouth shut because what she says is dangerous and irresponsible".

It's like when Robert De Niro spoke out about Trump being a punk and a dog etc etc - the media repeated it back to back for weeks and slapped him on the back. When Robert De Niro said that people should see the movie Vaxxed (note: De Niro's son has Autism and he is open to the possibility that it may have been caused by a vaccine), they never replayed that interview once.

They'll take the bits of what you say that suits their own agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Aw Cat come on. As long as she parrots the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is considered to be "making sense"..

Did you listen to the show ??

If you did you would know that she was no parrot on Sunday.

Aw Cat come on. As long as she parrots the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is considered to be "making sense". If the same person says anything against the Government/NPHET/RTE line she is "not qualified to be speaking about such subjects and should keep her mouth shut because what she says is dangerous and irresponsible".

It's like when Robert De Niro spoke out about Trump being a punk and a dog etc etc - the media repeated it back to back for weeks and slapped him on the back. When Robert De Niro said that people should see the movie Vaxxed (note: De Niro's son has Autism and he is open to the possibility that it may have been caused by a vaccine), they never replayed that interview once.

They'll take the bits of what you say that suits their own agenda.

I agree with what she says = therefore she is right :D

I'll agree to disagree with ya Gerry :)

Infoanon wrote: »
    Did you listen to the show ?? If you did you would know that she was no parrot on Sunday.

I'll listen back just to "check myself" as Joe Duffy would say :pac:
    But that is the same person who said that she would wait to hear what Michael Martin said before deciding to do after Christmas day, right?

I agree with what she says = therefore she is right :D I'll agree to disagree with ya Gerry :)

Could you not at least keep with tradition and wait for Christmas Day before kicking off the first Christmas big row?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yer man Damien gave poor old Stanley Johnson a good going over about him getting a french passport. All done with a smile, keeping it light.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭curioser

I was trying to envisage the look on Damien's face as he was discussing whether Eadna (spelling?) had a suitably shaped mouth for a flute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Oh please Karl Dieter get on that motorbike of yours and fcuk right off.

Cole wrote: »

Hear hear

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Poor panel, someone else saying we could have done what New Zealand have done alone thousand of miles in the S Pacific, it's like the covid forum here on a bad day with people with extreme views getting heated and talking over each other

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

He’s absolutely insufferable - I’m turning the radio down every time he speaks.

“And now for ‘balance’, we’re going to have an opposing view - and to present that opposing view we’re going to have clueless eejit Karl Deeter.”

Will Love give my cousin her business back? What a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

The dangerous motorcycle. What a dickhead

Karl Dieter is the only person prepared to take view of most in private businesses. Public sector workers can give themselves pay increases during the pandemic and never care where the money comes from. That's not the case for everybody else.

Interesting how they shut him down when he asked questions of the vaccines. Unless you are a vaccine lobbyist, like Conor Pope was last week, then you are persona non grata on RTE. Conor Pope, supposed consumer advocate, who is now an advocate for a commercial product that we will be mandated for everyone and the manufacturer will have no liability.

They should put Professor Paul on 350 a week and see how much love he's feeling then.

Was I the only one who laughed when Brian O'Donovan said "They had no idea who RTE was so they were happy to speak to me".

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Karl Dieter is the only person prepared to take view of most in private businesses. Public sector workers can give themselves pay increases during the pandemic and never care where the money comes from. That's not the case for everybody else.

Interesting how they shut him down when he asked questions of the vaccines. Unless you are a vaccine lobbyist, like Conor Pope was last week, then you are persona non grata on RTE. Conor Pope, supposed consumer advocate, who is now an advocate for a commercial product that we will be mandated for everyone and the manufacturer will have no liability.

He was shot down because I’m assuming Damien is only interested in the science. Anti vaxxers don’t need a forum on rte. They get enough airtime on classic hits FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

He was shot down because I’m assuming Damien is only interested in the science. Anti vaxxers don’t need a forum on rte. They get enough airtime on classic hits FM.

Thats the spirit. Ignore opposing views and they will go away. Same applies to rampaging gangs of african youths, or making rape jokes about Catholics. If youre not a trendy WOKE cause, then in 2021 Ireland, you just dont count , you dont exist

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I'm not suggesting Brendan is walking freely; I got the distinct impression he was trying to make it known he isn't any way secure in his current role, and that he might not be Marian's shoes for much longer. The way he said something to the effect "it's been a pleasure doing this show..." gave to me that he might be on the cusp of replacement.

Hes there for the long haul, hes been a very good boy, he hasnt rocked the boat at all. Hes moved a long long way from the Cutting Edge. It seems to me, he knows this is as good as it gets, he cant break the Tubridy/D'arcy stranglehold . Weekend daytime is all hes getting, and if he doesnt like it, they have poor auld Marty Whelan there as an example of what happens if you arent a team player

Thats the spirit. Ignore opposing views and they will go away. Same applies to rampaging gangs of african youths, or making rape jokes about Catholics. If youre not a trendy WOKE cause, then in 2021 Ireland, you just dont count , you dont exist

How can you have an opposing view to science? Isn’t that the opposite of WOKE? Creationism, the world is flat etc

• Advertisement

I'm not suggesting Brendan is walking freely; I got the distinct impression he was trying to make it known he isn't any way secure in his current role, and that he might not be Marian's shoes for much longer. The way he said something to the effect "it's been a pleasure doing this show..." gave to me that he might be on the cusp of replacement.

wtf? When did he say that Cat? I would have been thinking along the same lines as the other poster - Why would you even consider thinking about leaving one of the few permanent, highest paid media jobs? :confused:

How can you have an opposing view to science? Isn’t that the opposite of WOKE? Creationism, the world is flat etc

But if you're taking the argument of people asking questions being opposed to science - science would suggest that the vaccines be tested over longer periods of times not rushed, science would suggest there be a double blind test between groups of people who have vaccines and those who don't. And even the best science companies have to be liable for the commercial products they produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

But if you're taking the argument of people asking questions being opposed to science - science would suggest that the vaccines be tested over longer periods of times not rushed, science would suggest there be a double blind test between groups of people who have vaccines and those who don't. And even the best science companies have to be liable for the commercial products they produce.

Em, where’s your evidence that the usual safety protocols and standard trials weren’t carried out here? The problem with people “just asking questions” about science is that sometimes they’re not interested in the answers - they’re going to keep “just asking questions”

Dieter didn’t say anything about who should be liable. That is not the question here. That is a healthy debate topic but will inevitably used by anti vaxxers as a segue onto vaccines causing autism etc
    Hopefully next week we can have a debate on whether the earth is flat or not

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

And even the best science companies have to be liable for the commercial products they produce.

Any medication is likely to cause side effects in a small percentage of people because of allergies etc - just because some people are allergic to penicillin doesn’t mean that penicillin is not “safe”. If the government is responsible for rolling out the vaccine to a few million people then it seems reasonable that they take responsibility for getting the informed consent whereby the patient is aware of the risks and taking responsibility for any issues that arise out of that in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Hes there for the long haul, hes been a very good boy, he hasnt rocked the boat at all. Hes moved a long long way from the Cutting Edge. It seems to me, he knows this is as good as it gets, he cant break the Tubridy/D'arcy stranglehold . Weekend daytime is all hes getting, and if he doesnt like it, they have poor auld Marty Whelan there as an example of what happens if you arent a team player

Just listened to the Newstalk offering in oppo to BO'C...have to say I was very impressed ...good fast paced interviewing and nice light moderating.

Nice change from that whiney Cork accent ......

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

wtf? When did he say that Cat? I would have been thinking along the same lines as the other poster - Why would you even consider thinking about leaving one of the few permanent, highest paid media jobs? :confused:

Hopefully he is not on anything like the wedge Maid Marian was on ?

Would hope the job is not "permanent" surely not ?

Are you saying that this is a permanent job and highest paid media job ?

Is that what you are saying ??

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Hopefully he is not on anything like the wedge Maid Marian was on ?

Would hope the job is not "permanent" surely not ?

Are you saying that this is a permanent job and highest paid media job ?

Is that what you are saying ??

I would hope, Nevin, that the ‘chair’ of programmes like this, as it was very well described on other threads, does not come with a specific salary tag.

Surely just because Marian got xx amount shouldn’t mean that Ballsy should expect the same.In other words the job comes with a salary attached!!!

You negotiate and either take or turn down the salary or contract offered,on an individual basis.

This ‘hierarchy’ business got RTE in trouble before .

The late Gabriel Mary Byrne apparently a contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

They should put Professor Paul on 350 a week and see how much love he's feeling then.

Prof Strangelove is another fine example of the quality lecturers operating in the weird and wacky world of UCD alongside the eminent Ebun Joseph OBE.

UCD must be so proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Prof Strangelove is another fine example of the quality lecturers operating in the weird and wacky world of UCD alongside the eminent Ebun Joseph OBE.

UCD must be so proud.

That rabble rousing, sh*t stirring, racist, race baiter should not be given any sort of public platform to spew her hate speech from. A truly disgusting and nasty person who is using her toxic hatred to fund her lifestyle, and to boost her profile and career.

I can tell you direct from the horse’s mouth that she is not very popular amongst her academic peers in UCD for her behaviour, but alas, most seem afraid to call her out on her rhetoric for fear they’ll be labeled racist by her - which of course they will as it’s her refuge from any sort of criticism.

Advertisement