Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weekend On One With Brendan O'Connor

Options

Comments

That rabble rousing, sh*t stirring, racist, race baiter should not be given any sort of public platform to spew her hate speech from. A truly disgusting and nasty person who is using her toxic hatred to fund her lifestyle, and to boost her profile and career.

I can tell you direct from the horse’s mouth that she is not very popular amongst her academic peers in UCD for her behaviour, but alas, most seem afraid to call her out on her rhetoric for fear they’ll be labeled racist by her - which of course they will as it’s her refuge from any sort of criticism.

People need to develop a pair, come out and be called racist if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

That rabble rousing, sh*t stirring, racist, race baiter should not be given any sort of public platform to spew her hate speech from. A truly disgusting and nasty person who is using her toxic hatred to fund her lifestyle, and to boost her profile and career.

I can tell you direct from the horse’s mouth that she is not very popular amongst her academic peers in UCD for her behaviour, but alas, most seem afraid to call her out on her rhetoric for fear they’ll be labeled racist by her - which of course they will as it’s her refuge from any sort of criticism.

Well funny enough she was given a leg up from rte when she was appointed to the rte audience council in 2011. A 6 year gig and I'm sure you know this crowd advise the board on programming, why her? who picked her?.. This after arriving here from England where she was high up in the Nigerian - British association... As Jim Royle might say REFUGEE MY ARSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Em, where’s your evidence that the usual safety protocols and standard trials weren’t carried out here? The problem with people “just asking questions” about science is that sometimes they’re not interested in the answers - they’re going to keep “just asking questions”

The burden of proof on any product, whether pharma or non pharma, is that it is safe - not that you assume it is safe until proven otherwise. The gold standard test is that you have a placebo group that don't get the vaccine and a group that do get the vaccine and you test it over a period of time. This has not been done in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Infoanon

The burden of proof on any product, whether pharma or non pharma, is that it is safe - not that you assume it is safe until proven otherwise. The gold standard test is that you have a placebo group that don't get the vaccine and a group that do get the vaccine and you test it over a period of time. This has not been done in this case.

Once again proving that you didn't listen to the programme otherwise you would have known that Karl Dieter with his anti vaxxer agenda this morning tried to highlight that people in both the vaccinated group and the placebo group got covid.

Having a different point of view is all well and good if it has any bearing in fact and evidence.

Dieter playing the sympathy card because he was been attacked on twitter after his comments and his faux annoyance at being shut down brought a smile to my face.

Good show today - I assume BOC is back next week?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

What do you mean it hasn’t been done? Where the hell are you getting that information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

On another note, the second half of this show on Sunday is devoted to the AAAARRRRTs. (Fillums and TV ****e sorry).

Bloody hell, just give us a break here.

And moving to NT is sport after 12 noon, as if there isn't enough wall to wall straight after the show.

What is it about Sport news on Sundays? Thank fk for other radio stations is all I can say now.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

But if you're taking the argument of people asking questions being opposed to science - science would suggest that the vaccines be tested over longer periods of times not rushed, science would suggest there be a double blind test between groups of people who have vaccines and those who don't. And even the best science companies have to be liable for the commercial products they produce.

I did wonder how the normal two, three or four year timescale that a vaccine would go through was being short-circuited.
    I heard from a Pfizer person that the 'rush' wasn't actually hurried in any clinical or methodical way, it was just that the normal fallow periods where results come in, get analysed then lie on someone's desk for weeks or months were cut out, so straight on to the next step.
    Seemed to make sense to me.
    I'll have a vaccine. In fact, I think I'll have two, just for the hell of it.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Johnthemanager

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    I did wonder how the normal two, three or four year timescale that a vaccine would go through was being short-circuited.
    I heard from a Pfizer person that the 'rush' wasn't actually hurried in any clinical or methodical way, it was just that the normal fallow periods where results come in, get analysed then lie on someone's desk for weeks or months were cut out, so straight on to the next step.
    Seemed to make sense to me.
    I'll have a vaccine. In fact, I think I'll have two, just for the hell of it.

Also, wasn't it a vaccine that was used for something else, that was slightly modified to treat Covid?

Which if true most of the testing would have been done, or did I imagine all of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Also, wasn't it a vaccine that was used for something else, that was slightly modified to treat Covid?

Which if true most of the testing would have been done, or did I imagine all of that?

Yep, that bit's true, too.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,393 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Almost an hour into the show and not one comment on the thread

Says a lot about how the show is going under BOC

• Advertisement

I think the whole topic of footage of your actions distributed on social media, whether sexual or non sexual, is a real issue. During the week a guy delivering oil skidded on ice on a rural road and rolled the tanker in to a river. Very lucky to get away with his life. But by the end of the day CCTV footage of the incident was made public from a home CCTV system and went around the world. Nobody is afforded a mistake any more without the footage of it going viral.

Lets see who Brendan has on... The happy pear.. Goodbye

Neven Maguire is just after shutting off the radio and saying "How do those Happy Pear b*stards get so much time on RTE" :D

He's been a bit sarcastic with them there, all the same. Made a very pointed dig about his not having to put his swimming habits onto Instagram. I got the feeling, for some reason, he's a tad p1$$ed off with them & it wasn't his choice to have them on.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I did laugh at that Cat. They annoy me too Brendan :)

Are they "connected"?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Those f*ckwits.....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Had never heard of those guys before, assumed they were being introduced as the "happy pair" and then host compounded my initial confusion by asking questions like, "are ye together there in the one place....whats yere arrangements etc". Took me a while to figure it out.

I thought richard ford seguing into diarmuid gavin just about sums it all up, sublime to the fairly standard if not entirely ridiculous. He seemed more at ease talking to gavin from what i could glean.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Had never heard of those guys before, assumed they were being introduced as the "happy pair" and then host compounded my initial confusion by asking questions like, "are ye together there in the one place....whats yere arrangements etc". Took me a while to figure it out.

They are two incredibly smug and annoying twats, which of course makes them perfect fodder and filler for about 95% of the homegrown shows on RTÉ tv and radio.

To me, the Happy Pair are like a vegan Jedward on steroids. But that's probably more to do with me, than them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭elperello

What did these Happy Pear guys do wrong?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

elperello wrote: »

Naked morning swims on Instagram, meat bad, drink bad. Honestly too pure, chipper and wholesome. Would rather see them have a burger, few beers and chill out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

pc7 wrote: »
    Naked morning swims on Instagram, meat bad, drink bad. Honestly too pure, chipper and wholesome. Would rather see them have a burger, few beers and chill out.

Didn't they go sea swimming in Galway during one of the worst storms we've ever had a few years back. I think it was them anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SpacialNeeds

pc7 wrote: »
    I thought they were gay lovers when I first saw them cavorting around naked together but they're brothers. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Their lifestyle wouldn't be for me, but they always struck me as a nice, cheerful pair of fellas. Don't get the hate for them at all tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

elperello wrote: »

Getting into the restaurant business before the current covid situation hit us.

It cant be easy.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Their lifestyle wouldn't be for me, but they always struck me as a nice, cheerful pair of fellas. Don't get the hate for them at all tbh.

I'd like them as casual friends to meet for swims, coffee etc, they'd be good fathers if I had children with them, but I'd not have much fun with them very closely in my life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tea For Two

I liked the interview with Adi Roche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

In general I like the show, and I'm a fan of BOC. However, listening to it now, if there is a more annoying, self important, righteous contributor than Sinead O'Carroll, then I haven't heard of them. How anyone who "writes" for the Journal.ie has such a media profile is a damning indictment on the state of our media.

Advertisement