Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

OmegaGene wrote: »
    This might win comedy bargain alert of the year award, what are Vodafone thinking
    Terrible speeds at that price

Bargain Alerts presents: The Dreamer of the Year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I think they grossly misjudged this and will have to have a rethink fairly quickly or they won't be around long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

It's pitiful.

Presumably launched so they can tell their investors that they now have a budget brand in that market space but with no real intention of ever seriously competing at that level.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭lynchtp

Imagine if it got worse.....
    8<—————-
    Our estimated maximum attainable 3G download internet speed is
    1Mbps and upload speed is 0.5Mbps.
    —————->8

https://clearmobile.ie/content/dam/clear/terms/Clear_Mobile_General_Terms.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

If you want Vodafone Gomo equivalent with 4G speeds go for An Post mobile. 15 a month, but VF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

€13 a month and speed capped at 5mb whereas I'm on 48 at €8 a month and I'm regularly getting upwards of 80mb. No thanks Vodafone..

I always found Vodafone plans the most expensive and least value for money. their only benefit being for those people living in an area who had poor coverage from anyone else. No change then.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Their market is the people who watch Winning Streak, with that off air they will struggle.

Quote of the day :D:D:D
    That made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Wonder what APN will they use for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This. We have 2Mbit BB in Connemara.

As a home product it's not great, struggles with multiple devices.

But we can watch netflix with very (and I mean very) occasional buffering as long as everyone puts their phones away.

For a single device, I can't see why everyone is complaining about 5Mb speeds? If I could watch video on my phone that would be about the limit of my power usage.

I'm thinking the same - I'd say the speed cap was only introduced to prevent people putting it in their router as their main broadband. Can't see anything that would need faster speeds on a mobile unless they were using it as their main internet source and working from home or something

Also the network is a lot more superior for voice calls - when I was with Vodafone the sound for voice calls was crystal clear compared to Gomo (who i had to ditch) or 48 (who I am with now). Maybe that was just VF > VF calls though, it's been a while, but my phone had a HD symbol pop up when making those calls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

TheDriver wrote: »

crap.vodafone.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

TheDriver wrote: »

They have their own APN - isp.clearmobile.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Android users: Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names> Add and enter the following details in the fields:

Name: Clear Mobile Internet
    APN: isp.clearmobile.ie
    Authentication type: PAP or CHAP
    APN Type: default
    Click Save
    Ensure you select this APN from the menu

Apple users: Go to Settings > Mobile Data > Mobile Data Network > APN and enter the following into the field:
    isp.clearmobile.ie > select left arrow to save settings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

No, it's not "paying like Netflix" as this guy says
    If the DD fails, that'll be a tenner
    If you want to resume, that'll be 25 quid

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1349675724488253442?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

crap.vodafone.com

I was thinking steerage.vodafone.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Screenshot-20210114-171312.png

9.99 a month on Gomo when I signed up, you are alright Vodafone...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

I used to be on the vodafone x offers that were around - they were ok at the time.

Since I changed over to gomo , never really looked back .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Didn't GoMo bring in customers at a price for the first 100000 and 48 something the same?

Vodafone has 1 month free for the first 25000.

Its almost like they want this to fail.

First month free, but there's an activation charge of 12.99...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    No, it's not "paying like Netflix" as this guy says
    If the DD fails, that'll be a tenner
    If you want to resume, that'll be 25 quid

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1349675724488253442?s=20

You pay like Netflix.... ah yes, that revolutionary company which introduced a monthly charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭amacca

Is there any mobile deal out there where you don't have to pay monthly

I remember services where you coukd top up and only have to pay again when you used the value of how much you topped up by .....if you didn't use the phone much the credit would stay usable for 6 months before you were asked to top up again......

I'm asking as it would suit my elderly mother ...shes not a big user of the phone at all so she's actually overpaying even at a tenner a month:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This. We have 2Mbit BB in Connemara.

As a home product it's not great, struggles with multiple devices.

But we can watch netflix with very (and I mean very) occasional buffering as long as everyone puts their phones away.

For a single device, I can't see why everyone is complaining about 5Mb speeds? If I could watch video on my phone that would be about the limit of my power usage.

Because people have been brainwashed by relentless 'fibre powered, lightning speed 5G' type morkeshing campaigns to believe they need 1GB download speeds to whatsapp the ma to put their dinner in the microwave or browse a Youtube video. 5MB on a mobile device is perfectly usable unless you're torrenting massive files or something. This particular offer isn't great compared to 48 or whoever, but its also not the huge joke that most seem here seem to think it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

amacca wrote: »

I remember services where you coukd top up and only have to pay again when you used the value of how much you topped up by .....if you didn't use the phone much the credit would stay usable for 6 months before you were asked to top up again......

I'm asking as it would suit my elderly mother ...shes not a big user of the phone at all so she's actually overpaying even at a tenner a month:eek:

What I remember of the old top up method was your credit disappeared pretty rapidly. Even half a dozen calls in the month she's probably quids in for a tenner.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭bb12

i use my mobile as a hotspot . with VF and am in an area with strong 3G, border 4G but to get the strongest signal i have to have my phone network settings set to 3g only. i'm with the VF x 10mbs plan. I think the fastest speed i ever got in my area was 5mbs but normally averages around 2 or 3 mbs. However this speed enables me to work from home no issue logging onto a citrix server, streams netflix also without any buffering, i would be delighted if i was guaranteed 5mbs speed.

however since VF introduced those X plans, they've def been messing around with their transmitters . sometimes for no reason in the middle of the day, the signal just goes dead completely even though i'd have full bars showing on the phone. Never had that issue until they started capping speeds on their plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

They are all still like that. The top up after 30 days only activates the free calls and texts and internet. You can continue on after 30 days and use your credit for however long it lasts. There is a stipulation that you must top up by at least 5 euros every 6 months after your last top up to keep the account active.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

seannash wrote: »
    They are all still like that. The top up after 30 days only activates the free calls and texts and internet. You can continue on after 30 days and use your credit for however long it lasts. There is a stipulation that you must top up by at least 5 euros every 6 months after your last top up to keep the account active.

How good is 48.ie?

How good is 48.ie?
    they are bill pay from what I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

they are bill pay from what I understand

Yeah 8 euro a month. But is their service good?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

How good is 48.ie?

Im using one of their SIMs. I'm currently with Vodafone Sim only, but decided to get one of 48s 7.99 sims to see what its like. I have a dual sim phone, so easy to see how its performing.

Im in Drogheda and have had no issues making/receiving calls, texts or data. Going to see what its like for a month or two, and if I dont get any problems Im ditching Vodafone

Yeah 8 euro a month. But is their service good?
    No idea guy, I was commenting on someone asking about pay as you go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭amacca

Oh....i thought it had changed, she (well I got it for her really) a Vodafone deal ...it was down as 20 payg she can't make calls etc if she doesn't put the 20 in every month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

There’s still pay as you go services out there. You top up, use the chosen plan, i.e texts, calls and data and when the month is up you can keep and use the credit. The out of plan pricing is usually unfavourable so the credit gets sucked up fast. But they do exist for sure.

I’ve had a pay as you go for many moons and still prefer it. Credit usually builds up and you can still use it or use it abroad (Lol), or to pay for parking, or pay for Apple and google services.

You actually used to be able to spend your phone credit on topping up your Microsoft account. It was dead handy to get your monthly phone plan for €20 then top up your Microsoft account with €15. You were essentially getting the monthly phone plan for a €5

Advertisement