Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lizzy77

Anyone help me regarding downloading torrent files as Apple laptop telling me internet configurations incorrect.
    I am with voda phone

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭johndanielmoore

bk wrote: »
    Same here, I was having lots of issues with reception with Gomo in my home, both data and terrible issues with call reception. People needed to call me 3 or 4 times before they could get through. I had family members in other parts of the country have the same issue.

48 has been perfect, with no issues at all and clear reception. Three’s network seems to have improved a lot and this new service doesn’t really look very attractive IMO, but always good to see extra competition.

Were the people that had problems calling you on the Vodafone network. I was on Eir about 2 years ago and had lots of complaints from people on Vodafone that my phone wasn't ringing. I switched to Vodafone and haven't regretted it.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

joe1303l wrote: »
    The ability to use a Handset locked to the Vodafone Network is a big advantage over competitors.
    Used high end Vodafone locked phones are way cheaper to buy than unlocked handsets. Ideal for young people that go through handsets pretty often.
    Post Mobile SIMs can also be used in phones locked to Vodafone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Were the people that had problems calling you on the Vodafone network. I was on Eir about 2 years ago and had lots of complaints from people on Vodafone that my phone wasn't ringing. I switched to Vodafone and haven't regretted it.

From all different networks including gomo too. 48 has been perfect, as good as Vodafone when I had the famous “ student” deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭cyborg

Anyone know if the Vodafone suresignal device works with this network or post mobile?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Quackster wrote: »
    Post Mobile SIMs can also be used in phones locked to Vodafone.

Do Post Mobile use the Vodafone network or which network?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

gandalfio wrote: »
    Do Post Mobile use the Vodafone network or which network?

Yes, same mnc

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭gandalfio

TheDriver wrote: »
    Yes, same mnc

Is this a permanent arrangement? Looking to leave Vodafone as they're too expensive, but want to keep their coverage benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

gandalfio wrote: »
    Is this a permanent arrangement? Looking to leave Vodafone as they're too expensive, but want to keep their coverage benefits.

As permanent as any virtual operator can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

cyborg wrote: »
    Anyone know if the Vodafone suresignal device works with this network or post mobile?

I'm interested in knowing this too but I already suspect they won't. Afaik, Vodafone's system registers the SIM ID (not sure the correct term) against the suresignal and not the phone number. You'll often find if you get a replacement SIM while keeping your number, you need to re-register with your suresignal.

They've responded to my email requests to add numbers in the past to say that such a number isn't a vodafone customer, where I inadvertently tried to add a person who'd moved network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

dollylama wrote: »
    I'm interested in knowing this too but I already suspect they won't. Afaik, Vodafone's system registers the SIM ID (not sure the correct term) against the suresignal and not the phone number. You'll often find if you get a replacement SIM while keeping your number, you need to re-register with your suresignal.

They've responded to my email requests to add numbers in the past to say that such a number isn't a vodafone customer, where I inadvertently tried to add a person who'd moved network.

FYI: From Vodaphone UK
    We're retiring Sure Signal from our network throughout 2021 and will switch the service off completely in September 2021. This means you won't be able to use Sure Signal anymore, or register a device to use it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

The only challenge with post mobile the limit on the unlimited data:

a fair usage policy limit of 50GB

That is not a lot !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

It won't, I had a Vodafone pay as you go sim and tried a second hand suresignal box and they wouldn't pair the number to it as i wasn't the original owner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Vodafone look to be replacing the Sure Signal boxes with Wifi Calling, which should do much the same job, but without the need for the extra box:
    https://n.vodafone.ie/network/wi-fi-calling.html

Unfortunately it isn't even available to all Vodafone customers, just ones who are on their more expensive plans! So I doubt it will be available on this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The only challenge with post mobile the limit on the unlimited data:

a fair usage policy limit of 50GB

That is not a lot !

I'd consider myself a major data user - with the caveat that I have good home wifi.

Until pretty recently I was on a 12gb package from Vodafone, and only fairly rarely exceeding it. Unless you're using it as home internet, you're doing quite well to go beyond 50 surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Sure signal is old hat now and basically dead... WiFi calling is far superior but as Gomo doesn’t allow it, I can’t see Vodafone McStingyPants allowing it either

Would love to be wrong though....

errlloyd wrote: »
    I'd consider myself a major data user - with the caveat that I have good home wifi.

Until pretty recently I was on a 12gb package from Vodafone, and only fairly rarely exceeding it. Unless you're using it as home internet, you're doing quite well to go beyond 50 surely?

Same here. I'd struggle to use more than 10Gb a month outside of the home. But I like the buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its similar to the range anxiety case for EVs, I don't want to have to think about it. How much data I've used doesnt cross my mind. 27GB since December 24th as it turns out, but I had to go and check.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well, did anyone order a sim and try this service out yet, if so, what’s it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well, did anyone order a sim and try this service out yet, if so, what’s it like?

No, but it will be Vodafone, but really slow.

I like that they say it's the first month for free, but have a €12.99 connection fee, which means it isn't free at all.

Misleading scammers. When a company has this much contempt for their customers, they are best avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Aquos76 wrote: »

Sim arrived yesterday morning and I was ported over in the the afternoon (as agreed)from Vodafone as I wanted to keep my old number. Sim works fine in the Vodafone locked handset and no APN changes were required.

Same coverage as before, but instead of paying the 20 euro a month for Vodafone X, I'm getting the same service for 12.99, so happy enough with that.

I know the download speed is supposed to be capped at 5Mbit, but with my Vodafone X, I was lucky to get even that. I did a few speed tests yesterday evening and am getting 6-7 Mbit down and 8 Mbit up, handy enough when I'm out and about as I'm not a heavy user.

So far so good, let's see how it goes when more sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

No, but it will be Vodafone, but really slow.

I like that they say it's the first month for free, but have a €12.99 connection fee, which means it isn't free at all.

Misleading scammers. When a company has this much contempt for their customers, they are best avoided.

The first month is free for the first 25000 customers, after that it'll be an activation fee plus first month - so early adopters are getting a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

icom wrote: »
    Sim arrived yesterday morning and I was ported over in the the afternoon (as agreed)from Vodafone as I wanted to keep my old number. Sim works fine in the Vodafone locked handset and no APN changes were required.

Same coverage as before, but instead of paying the 20 euro a month for Vodafone X, I'm getting the same service for 12.99, so happy enough with that.

I know the download speed is supposed to be capped at 5Mbit, but with my Vodafone X, I was lucky to get even that. I did a few speed tests yesterday evening and am getting 6-7 Mbit down and 8 Mbit up, handy enough when I'm out and about as I'm not a heavy user.

So far so good, let's see how it goes when more sign up.

Buddy of mine has just been ported from postmobile. Has a dual SIM phone, needs 2 numbers on 2 different networks to make sure he can be contacted for work. He's just saved 7 euro a month by switching.
    Data not a priority, so he's happy so far with the move.

gipi wrote: »
    Buddy of mine has just been ported from postmobile. Has a dual SIM phone, needs 2 numbers on 2 different networks to make sure he can be contacted for work. He's just saved 7 euro a month by switching.

Isn't he just saving 2 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,532 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

TheDriver wrote: »
    Isn't he just saving 2 euro?

Probably had the EUR20 rate like me and they wouldn't switch to EUR15 one as it was for new customers only.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

gipi wrote: »

He'd had been better to port to gomo or 48 as technically if Post mobile goes down then Clear mobile will also go down id imagine.

Edit: having read your post back, Im making an assumption here that his main sim is a vodafone one, if its not, then disregard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

With or without the activation cost, I think its a good shout for a lot of people in the countryside. Gomo is cheap but incredibly unreliable, I rarely get 5mbps even when im in the city. When I was on Vodafone prepay years ago the signal was always fantastic wherever I was.

This will be my first time actually leaving Gomo instead of emailing them talking ****e....

Tig98 wrote: »
    With or without the activation cost, I think its a good shout for a lot of people in the countryside. Gomo is cheap but incredibly unreliable, I rarely get 5mbps even when im in the city. When I was on Vodafone prepay years ago the signal was always fantastic wherever I was.

This will be my first time actually leaving Gomo instead of emailing them talking ****e....

Postmobile is still far better if that's what you want. Same signal but no limit on data speed. Once you don't need unlimited data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

The only people this will benefit are those living in rural areas with Vodafone as the only network available but An Post Mobile for €15 per month is better value as it operators via Vodafone's 4G network. I know people paying €60 a month on Vodafone 24 month contracts and all they got was a cheap Samsung android phone worth €250.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

theguzman wrote: »
    The only people this will benefit are those living in rural areas with Vodafone as the only network available but An Post Mobile for €15 per month is better value as it operators via Vodafone's 4G network. I know people paying €60 a month on Vodafone 24 month contracts and all they got was a cheap Samsung android phone worth €250.

While that's crap I've paid attention to Vodafone's offers, they're pretty much the same as across all networks. Some networks will have a specific deal which is very good but overall they have the same.

The S20 5G is €300 on the €60 plan at the moment for example.

A quick (and I do mean quick) look at CPW shows all three networks have the exacta same offer for S20 FE 5G as well (€130 for the phone, €60 a month).

Alternatively you could always buy a phone outright and then sign up to Vodafone X. (And this type of deal until GoMo etc entered the market was typically the best way to buy a phone if you can afford the upfront cost). Vodafone X was a very good offer with the Spotify element to it.

Advertisement