Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone to compete with GoMo with “Clear Mobile”

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭thomas 123

DopeTech wrote: »
    I cant see them pulling in many with this plan. Even if it was half the price the speed cap is going to turn most people off.

The website and logo have the look of a funeral home website or something. It's as if their idea was to copy the gomo site but make it appeal to the elderly. If that was the idea then I think they nailed it.

I'll be sticking with 48, I can't see these lasting long. They just won't appeal to many people. It'll be another Justmobile or ID. Gone in a year.

You would think their biggest strength would have been the Vodafone branding and loyal customer base who may have opted for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Didn't GoMo bring in customers at a price for the first 100000 and 48 something the same?

Vodafone has 1 month free for the first 25000.

Its almost like they want this to fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Userloss

Maybe someone can check the plan and make a speedtest to cehck out what's possible with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Didn't GoMo bring in customers at a price for the first 100000 and 48 something the same?

Vodafone has 1 month free for the first 25000.

Its almost like they want this to fail.

Yeah it's very poor. Gomo gave the plan to the first 100,000 customers for €9.99 for life and 48 have their plan at €7.99 per month for life if you sign up before February 1st. (This is probably why they extended it)

This offer just seems weak in comparison. Maybe it'll be like 48 and fade into almost obscurity for a few years and then relaunch with some good value plans. If they removed the speed cap or at least raised it then they would stand some chance of getting a few subscribers.

Has anyone tried to register on the site? They still haven't sent me my temporary password. Not a great start to a launch day. I won't be switching but just wanted a look around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Yeah it's very poor. Gomo gave the plan to the first 100,000 customers for €9.99 for life and 48 have their plan at €7.99 per month for life if you sign up before February 1st. (This is probably why they extended it)

This offer just seems weak in comparison. Maybe it'll be like 48 and fade into almost obscurity for a few years and then relaunch with some good value plans. If they removed the speed cap or at least raised it then they would stand some chance of getting a few subscribers.

You are tempting me to switch to 48, 7.99 that’s great.

It makes paying in cash for your smartphone such good value now.

No excuse for anyone to be on a 50-70 euro contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

thomas 123 wrote: »

Try being a business customer being on the top plan for a 2 year contract! :(:(:(:(

thomas 123 wrote: »

I moved to 48 in September and have no regrets. Few little issues at the beginning but customer care sorted them out quickly over web chat. Was with gomo beforehand and their customer service was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Datacore

Sesame wrote: »
    I left Gomo as they didn't have WiFi calling. If this does, I'd be interested. 5mb in a rural backwater would be more than sufficient. My home WiFi is 9mb and I rarely see 3g on my phone anyway. Maybe this is aimed at a large proportion of country dwellers with slow/prone to dropping connections like me.

You’ll get Eir SIM only for €14.99 on a non contract (month to month) basis for €14.99 for 6 months. You can either port out or try and negotiate a better deal when the offer ends. It has WiFi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Aquos76 wrote: »

Cheapskate speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Frank_1969

Done a speed test on GoMo just to compare.Have been with them from the off, 2 sims one in a 4g router at home and one in phone. I'm delighted with the service.

It may, just may be enough for socials, but YT? That would be a definite no, unless you want constant loading/buffering. It's 2021 now like... I'm perplexed about the speed cap. I just have no words

Embarrassing really, if they upped it to 10,
    Upped the vf of x deal to 15 I'd gladly pay an extra e2

Userloss wrote: »
    Are the 5 mbits in the eu vailed as well?

5mb in all fairness? 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

I moved to 48 in September and have no regrets. Few little issues at the beginning but customer care sorted them out quickly over web chat. Was with gomo beforehand and their customer service was atrocious.

Was with 48 years back but coverage was poor. Has it improved?

Was with 48 years back but coverage was poor. Has it improved?

I have a 3 sim for work in my phone also and both always have the same signal and speed tests are identical. So if you have decent reception on 3 then 48 will be no different apart from the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Quite a bizzare notion, reducing speeds down to 3g, albeit if truth be known 3g is actually more stable than 4g. I'm on the €9.99 GOMO deal, admitidly data speeds were not my primary concern as I live rural and use 3 WiFi but have to say GOMO data speeds for some unknown reason have increased dramatically in the past few weeks, I'm not aware of mast sharing and certainly no new masts I'm aware of by Eir.

This all said, Vodafone might look at wh. At 48 and Virgin are offering, far cheaper than their new offering. Like any deal coverage needs to be checked and device is sim free or unlocked.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I see they are also copying GoMo by charging a €12.99 activation fee also.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,924 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I have a 3 sim for work in my phone also and both always have the same signal and speed tests are identical. So if you have decent reception on 3 then 48 will be no different apart from the price.

Your lucky, 48, tesco vertual networks working off 3 mast network and certainly are not prioritised re coverage and speeds. I've been with 3 for years, both phone and broadband due to my location. 3 perfect re phone, broadband fine most of the time, conjestion always an issue. I moved phone to gomo @ €9.99 pm, perfect for calls, texts etc, data wasn't great but now comparable with 3.

48, couldn't even send a text, Tesco, couldn't even get onto network, despite both piggy backing off 3.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

If it was capped at 10-15 you'd say something as they don't want hotspot usage but 5???

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its like somebody told them to start one, so they reluctantly did while intending nobody to use it.

VF have always protected their network, it used to be really great, but in 2021 its really nothing special. Three have far more load(3x the customers) and are generally faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

omerin wrote: »
    As someone who moved from them to 48 after years with them, there is no way i would move back for a reduced service. Good to see the took the feedback from their followup calls onboard, another f up by Vodafone

same just 15 years though, gomo gives me higher speeds more data better signal at a third of the cost.

only thing i miss is the international calls add on i had especially when roaming (although thats a bit moot now anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Del2005 wrote: »
    If they can guarantee 5MB then you can watch Netfix in HD.

This. We have 2Mbit BB in Connemara.

As a home product it's not great, struggles with multiple devices.

But we can watch netflix with very (and I mean very) occasional buffering as long as everyone puts their phones away.

For a single device, I can't see why everyone is complaining about 5Mb speeds? If I could watch video on my phone that would be about the limit of my power usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭ULMarc

Well, I have to say, as much as it's getting backlash over the ludicrous speed cap, it's nice to see new offerings coming to us. I suppose the market will decide if this an appealing service or not.

One thing I will say though is that a 5mbps speed throttle can be quite a different experience from a 5mbps maximum potential speed due to network conditions. For most uses you'd appreciate a stable connection over ultimate speed.

Anyway, it's a disposable mobile plan. So anyone can take it or leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

I see they are also copying GoMo by charging a €12.99 activation fee also.
    One could argue that the activation fee negates the free month.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sesame

Datacore wrote: »
    You’ll get Eir SIM only for €14.99 on a non contract (month to month) basis for €14.99 for 6 months. You can either port out or try and negotiate a better deal when the offer ends. It has WiFi calling.

Thats what I'm on at the moment! Vodafone coverage slightly better in my area though and also, like the idea of not having to change plan after the 6 months are up. If Vodafone do Wifi calling on this, I would sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭jbv

Vodafone even with the premium have problems with the signal.
    I'm with GOMO since the start and yes, depending of the area where you are signal indoor is not great.
    Outside there's another story. Better then "premium" Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Activation fee is ridiculous too when they're advertising the 'free month'. Would be tempted with no speed caps. Poor show VF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭dzsfah2xoynme9

€13 a month and speed capped at 5mb whereas I'm on 48 at €8 a month and I'm regularly getting upwards of 80mb. No thanks Vodafone..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    This. We have 2Mbit BB in Connemara.

As a home product it's not great, struggles with multiple devices.

But we can watch netflix with very (and I mean very) occasional buffering as long as everyone puts their phones away.

For a single device, I can't see why everyone is complaining about 5Mb speeds? If I could watch video on my phone that would be about the limit of my power usage.

we have between 1 and 4 mb and its ok ish for download but its the .3mb upload speed that kills you. it basically means i cant do video teams calls with multiple users (which is why im in the office !) .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

Heard it mentioned on the radio this morning, figured there would have to a BA thread but underwhelmed by what I read. Seems pointless unless you've only got VF available where you live.

Advertisement