Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dry dog food available in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

n1st wrote: »
    The vet does not know what the issue is yet. A cream to be applied for a week.
    However this Dog does lick and chew alot on pays and has more than 2 unexplained skin irritations in the past.
    I'll get salmon oil regardless.
    But I have to buy food this week, any suggestions?

If you need food this week you'd need the RC either way so you can slowly transition over? My girl had irritation/scabs on her back like that two - washing her back with malaseb once a week for a few weeks seemed to clear it up - although I was fairly certain it was environmental more than her food for the simple fact that all of us humans were itchy and bitten in the park too! She was getting fish oil capsules too but I recently switched too Healthy Hounds Omegawild - no more wasted capsules flicked out of their bowls lol. :p
    Foodwise they're both raw fed so I can't recommend anything dry. Just bear in mind dry food can have storage mites so may add to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

n1st wrote: »
    The vet does not know what the issue is yet. A cream to be applied for a week.
    However this Dog does lick and chew alot on pays and has more than 2 unexplained skin irritations in the past.
    I'll get salmon oil regardless.
    But I have to buy food this week, any suggestions?

Anything grain free and chicken free would be best. I feed Acana,.they do lots of different flavours that don't contain chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Anything grain free and chicken free would be best. I feed Acana,.they do lots of different flavours that don't contain chicken.

Can I ask why chicken free is recommended? Is this purely because other meats would be higher in protein and therefore more beneficial?

I tend to go for Beef flavoured food anyway but would be curious as I have seen this mentioned a few times.

Chicken and beef are the two proteins dogs can be sensitive most (if I've worded that correctly :o). I was convinced Lucy had a chicken allergy so stopped feeding it for a good while but tried her again and no problems.
    You could go for a grain free chicken or beef (or whatever protein you've been feeding) and rule out grain first or go for a novel protein i.e. something they haven't had before

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭n1st

I've spoken to a pet shop attendant and he recommended -Taste of the Wild - Pacific Stream Canine.
    I've purchased it. Same price as Royal Cannin.
    Thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just be aware that you'll probably need to feed a bit less of it than the royal Canin as totw would be better quality and contains no fillers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Anyone any ideas please on how to get a dog off the tinned food and on to the dry food?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Anyone any ideas please on how to get a dog off the tinned food and on to the dry food?
    Mix the dry with the wet and increase dry to wet quantity over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Any suggestion what best “off the shelf” food would be in terms of nutrition for an adult dog? Bakers seems good value at moment....?

Any suggestion what best “off the shelf” food would be in terms of nutrition for an adult dog? Bakers seems good value at moment....?

0.1 / 5! Great value lol
    https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0012/bakers-complete-adult

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Bakers is quite possibly the lowest quality dog food available on the market. Our last dog was on Pedigree and lived to 15 but back then Pedigree was the go to brand. But knowing more about food now we go to a pet shop for dog food.
    The answer to your question really depends on budget and type of dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ITgirl73

FDA in US are now advising not to feed grain free dog food as they are identifying this as the leading causes of a particular heart disease in dogs. Apparently food containing sweet potato, lentils, peas are to be avoided. My dog suffers itchy skin as well & I was feeding this type of food to my dog. My vet sells Royal canin hills etc but the reviews are really bad. My dog loves her food at the moment. What else can I change her to? Small dog, thought I was doing the right thing feeding her grain free

ITgirl73 wrote: »
    FDA in US are now advising not to feed grain free dog food as they are identifying this as the leading causes of a particular heart disease in dogs. Apparently food containing sweet potato, lentils, peas are to be avoided. My dog suffers itchy skin as well & I was feeding this type of food to my dog. My vet sells Royal canin hills etc but the reviews are really bad. My dog loves her food at the moment. What else can I change her to? Small dog, thought I was doing the right thing feeding her grain free

You can supplement with taurine rich foods eg sardines

• Registered Users Posts: 32,288 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I can recommend Lilys Kitchen all the way.
    Lots of variety in the food (most grain free), and our vet was really impressed with the contents. Not exactly off the shelf, but you can order from them directly (usually a discount code floating about) or available on amazon.
    Or fella is year and six months and in great condition coat wise etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

AFAIK they are not advising anyone to change diets yet, and while DCM can be related to taurine deficiencies there is as y et no clear evidence that taurine deficiency was the cause. https://www.fda.gov/animalveterinary/newsevents/cvmupdates/ucm613305.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Found this thread very useful, thanks. I see that there have been a few class action lawsuits against taste of the wild so will be avoiding that.

I notice zooplus don’t seem to stock acana or orijen anymore so wondered if people are still buying the same food now or if there are newer recommended brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Found this thread very useful, thanks. I see that there have been a few class action lawsuits against taste of the wild so will be avoiding that.

I notice zooplus don’t seem to stock acana or orijen anymore so wondered if people are still buying the same food now or if there are newer recommended brands?

When I was feeding my rescue orijen six fish got mine here:

https://www.petstop.ie/orijen-dog-food?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0fr_BRDaARIsAABw4EsLYrwpssvvAgUfc7-rn7FXjGBIWoivlZkp2nCz1-zqF_SoxL4J8goaAgpLEALw_wcB

No issues and super quick delivery

And also here:

https://www.pet-bliss.ie/brand/orijen/

Personally I haven’t purchased from zooplus in a few years ..

Thanks. My pup of 5 months is currently on return to the wild puppy so was wondering if it’s any good? Forgot to ask that in my previous post.

Origen does seem the best from what I’ve read but I’m open to other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Thanks. My pup of 5 months is currently on return to the wild puppy so was wondering if it’s any good? Forgot to ask that in my previous post.

Origen does seem the best from what I’ve read but I’m open to other suggestions.

Return to the wild? Not sure I’ve heard of it OP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Wolf of Wilderness is available on zooplus, and is a very nice grain free, high meat dry food, with loads of choice on flavours and kibble types.
    Purizon is also on zooplus... actually, I think it's a zooplus-owned brand. I've also fed it in the past and was happy with it.
    Zooplus also has a zooplus range now, which I've tried too. Well... the dogs have :o and it seems pretty good for the money :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

I feed my fella Skinners
    Wouldn't go past it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Mine love the Rocco dry food/tins. I tried the Zooplus ones this week & they went down well too!

Though mine would eat anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭54and56

I need to find a regular source of Hypoallergenic dry dog food for my 35kg Newfoundland/Heinz 57 5 year old dog who has been diagnosed with a digestive problem for which Hypoallergenic food is part of the solution.

I'll be needing 15kg bags on a regular basis.

Can get 15kg of Dr John Hypoallergenic Chicken delivered to the door for €45 or so.

Is there any comparable Irish alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,756 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

What has taste of the wild in trouble?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What has taste of the wild in trouble?
    Somebody tested it and found high amounts of arsenic, heavy metals and other toxins.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

calibri salmon & sweet potatoe good for allergies etc about 70 a bag at the vets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Anyone used Seven dog food?

54and56 wrote: »
    I need to find a regular source of Hypoallergenic dry dog food for my 35kg Newfoundland/Heinz 57 5 year old dog who has been diagnosed with a digestive problem for which Hypoallergenic food is part of the solution.

I'll be needing 15kg bags on a regular basis.

Can get 15kg of Dr John Hypoallergenic Chicken delivered to the door for €45 or so.

Is there any comparable Irish alternatives?

No Irish offering for Hypoallergenic dry dog food which comes close to €45 for a 15kg bag delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

54and56 wrote: »
    No Irish offering for Hypoallergenic dry dog food which comes close to €45 for a 15kg bag delivered?

Bosch poultry on zooplus - would be pretty similar. Two 15kg bags delivered €60

• Advertisement

Springwell wrote: »
    Bosch poultry on zooplus - would be pretty similar. Two 15kg bags delivered €60

Thanks Springwell, appreciate that.

I also spotted Lupo Sensitive on Zooplus which look interesting but they have two products a 24/10 for active dogs and a 20/8 for less active dogs.

Given I have a 35kg Newfoundland/Heinz 57 type 5 year old dog who lives in the house and whose level of activity is getting a long one hour walk once (or if she's lucky twice a day) and pretty much chilling out on her bed or lying on the floor beside us as we work / study would she be considered an "active" or "less active" dog? Do you buy the food for the dog you have or the dog you want to have i.e. if a dog is a bit hyper do you buy the "less active" food and vice versa?

:o

Advertisement