Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dry dog food available in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

Dubs1990 wrote:
    Need another solution , Im feeding my German shepherd pup taste of the wild and hes going through a bag like a train , Financially im in a situation that i cannot aford 65 euro every 3 weeks for a 35kg bag at the moment . Ideally i am looking at 50euro for a bigger bag of food.

TOTW is 105 euro for 2 bags on on zooplus.de

Price wise its one of the cheaper grain free foods. I can't think of any grain free food in the 15kg bag size. So that might mean a rice based food but the feeding guidelines would be higher and you would gain nothing by switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

odckdo wrote: »
    TOTW is 105 euro for 2 bags on on zooplus.de

Price wise its one of the cheaper grain free foods. I can't think of any grain free food in the 15kg bag size. So that might mean a rice based food but the feeding guidelines would be higher and you would gain nothing by switching.

Champion grain free is 49 for a bag

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

would lukullus be classed as a good food ?

Dried chicken meat ground (29.3%), whole-grain ground rice (26%), dried and ground salmon (7%), dried and ground potatoes, cold-pressed rapeseed oil (5%), dried seaweed, dried and ground liver, dried alfalfa, rice germ, gelatine, beet pulp (3%), dried herbs, dried pears (1%), dried apples (1%), dried egg yolk, caraway, linseed oil (0.5%), dried and ground carob, powdered mineral clay, diatomaceous earth, dried blueberries (0.5%), mussel meat extract from perna canaliculus (New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel), dried and ground yucca schidigera.

Dried chicken meat ground (29.3%), whole-grain ground rice (26%), dried and ground salmon (7%), dried and ground potatoes, cold-pressed rapeseed oil (5%), dried seaweed, dried and ground liver, dried alfalfa, rice germ, gelatine, beet pulp (3%), dried herbs, dried pears (1%), dried apples (1%), dried egg yolk, caraway, linseed oil (0.5%), dried and ground carob, powdered mineral clay, diatomaceous earth, dried blueberries (0.5%), mussel meat extract from perna canaliculus (New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel), dried and ground yucca schidigera.

I have tried champion but was very rich for him , I dont mind taking him off grain free feed once the food is still a good quality feed.

Dtp1979 wrote:
    Champion grain free is 49 for a bag

Yeah I know that and alot of folks on here like it.

Its 12kg though - thought person was looking for a bigger bag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

My dog eats Orijen, I highly recommend it. He eats less, has an excellent coat, lots of energy and is going to the toilet less often. It's around 100e for a 13kg bag, lasts about a month, well worth it for him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Dubs1990 wrote: »

I have tried champion but was very rich for him , I dont mind taking him off grain free feed once the food is still a good quality feed.
    One of the better once if you go grain (rice) yes.
    Dubs1990 wrote: »
    Need another solution , Im feeding my German shepherd pup taste of the wild and hes going through a bag like a train , Financially im in a situation that i cannot aford 65 euro every 3 weeks for a 35kg bag at the moment . Ideally i am looking at 50euro for a bigger bag of food.
    Black Angus Junior may be something to look at then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No they have a 15kg bag of grain/cereal free. Its the Duck and Potato or Salmon and Potato. Its not the 50% meat one. I use the duck one for Viktor.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

There's cheaper options too eg fish/duck and potato ones that are €49 for 15kg ;)

Jinx andreac! :D

andreac wrote:
    No they have a 15kg bag of grain/cereal free. Its the Duck and Potato or Salmon and Potato. Its not the 50% meat one. I use the duck one for Viktor.

tk123 wrote:
    There's cheaper options too eg fish/duck and potato ones that are €49 for 15kg

Ah right, forgot about those ones. There is a huge choice these days - hard to keep track of them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 lalalady

is Canagan a good brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

We've always bought Burns Sensitive (pork and potato) and happy to stick with it for the most part, except it's gone up in price and is now nearly €70 for a 15kg bag. I see Gain Elite is a lot cheaper and recommended a lot at the start of the thread. Would it be worth switching?

sup_dude wrote:
    We've always bought Burns Sensitive (pork and potato) and happy to stick with it for the most part, except it's gone up in price and is now nearly €70 for a 15kg bag. I see Gain Elite is a lot cheaper and recommended a lot at the start of the thread. Would it be worth switching?

I have not used it myself but like you have read the good reviews on here.

It has 30% chicken & Turkey which is pretty good as alot of foods in that price range are around the 20% mark.

Some people don't like grains but atm the food I use, between the different flavours, have a combination of rice/oats/barley.

Gain Elite, aswell as rice, has maize which some people also don't like but Burns have foods with maize?

I've just bought taste of the wild as it was going for 61 in pet mania.
    Is it good? She's already had acana and champion grain free. Is taste of the wild as good?
    Also, all the measurements are in lbs and cups. I've no problem converting lbs to kgs, but how many grams in a cup of nuts?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I've just bought taste of the wild as it was going for 61 in pet mania.
    Is it good? She's already had acana and champion grain free. Is taste of the wild as good?
    Also, all the measurements are in lbs and cups. I've no problem converting lbs to kgs, but how many grams in a cup of nuts?

Every food is different. Best off to just weight a cup of food and you will get your answer. Not all cups will weigh out the same with all foods as some have more in the nut so would make them heavier or some lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I've just bought taste of the wild as it was going for 61 in pet mania. Is it good? She's already had acana and champion grain free. Is taste of the wild as good? Also, all the measurements are in lbs and cups. I've no problem converting lbs to kgs, but how many grams in a cup of nuts?
    According to my Royal Canin chart 1 cup is equal to 93g.

Edit: Noticed Orijen has a cup at 120g. Also just read above post and I do just that. I use a plastic jug and weigh it but just got used to the mark on the jug now.

According to my Royal Canin chart 1 cup is equal to 93g.

Edit: Noticed Orijen has a cup at 120g. Also just read above post and I do just that. I use a plastic jug and weigh it but just got used to the mark on the jug now.

That's it though, 100g of acana might be nutritionally the same as 120g of taste of the wild or vice versa. Also cup sizes vary

changed my GSD pup onto the markus muhle angus junior , and I must say his poos are nice and solid , the food is very strong smelling so he goes mad for it ! overall I am very impressed with it so far , I got 16kgs for 50Euro off zooplus.

I might give that a go next month. My GR used to inhale his Royal Canin especially after a run. Last few mornings he doesn't seem as bothered. I pay near 50 for 12KG of RC so that extra 4KG is better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

i buy the chicken and rice and vegs. cook it all on a sat, and freeze for use. Dogs have never looked better or fitter.
    I also buy liver if on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Any recs for a grain free or at least a low grain food which gives a nice shiny coat?

My rescue pup is on Champion Grain Free which she eats fine (poor eater generally) but her black coat is very dull and lifeless IMO. Her blood work etc is fine as is her mood. She doesn't like Orijen kibble at all. I know it's a minor quibble but I wouldn't mind checking out some other foods if they excited her to eat them too and helped shine her coat up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Any recs for a grain free or at least a low grain food which gives a nice shiny coat?

My rescue pup is on Champion Grain Free which she eats fine (poor eater generally) but her black coat is very dull and lifeless IMO. Her blood work etc is fine as is her mood. She doesn't like Orijen kibble at all. I know it's a minor quibble but I wouldn't mind checking out some other foods if they excited her to eat them too and helped shine her coat up.
    Try adding salmon oil to her existing food perhaps?

If not Taste of the Wild, Almo Nature, Purizon and Wolf of Wilderness would be a few of the common brands you could try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭maryfred

I've been feeding my 5months pug/terrier cross Purina Beta puppy food since I got her because that's what she was being fed. I was looking up to see could I get it online when I came across loads of reviews of it. A lot of them seem to think it's a poor quality food with not a lot of protein and too much rice which can convert to sugars and cause the dog to be hyper. I wouldn't call my pup hyper,she's lively but it's more that I don't want to be feeding her something that wouldn't be the best for her. I don't have an unlimited budget but I'd appreciate any opinions.

maryfred wrote: »
    I've been feeding my 5months pug/terrier cross Purina Beta puppy food since I got her because that's what she was being fed. I was looking up to see could I get it online when I came across loads of reviews of it. A lot of them seem to think it's a poor quality food with not a lot of protein and too much rice which can convert to sugars and cause the dog to be hyper. I wouldn't call my pup hyper,she's lively but it's more that I don't want to be feeding her something that wouldn't be the best for her. I don't have an unlimited budget but I'd appreciate any opinions.
    Honestly it is really not a good quality feed; what's your budget (i.e. XX eur per bag size) and you'll get multiple recommendations.

Nody wrote: »
    Honestly it is really not a good quality feed; what's your budget (i.e. XX eur per bag size) and you'll get multiple recommendations.

Totally agree, just look at the ingredients, that will tell you straight away the quality of it.

At the minute I'm paying €9.50 for a 2.5 kg bag of the Purina. That's lasting about 2/3 wks. She's not a huge eater but she's in great health and her coat is very good and healthy. I don't know what people would consider to be a decent budget. Is that considered a cheap food? I think it's very reasonable price wise so I wouldn't mind going double that.

That's about €3.80 per kg, I had been paying €5 per kg (12kg bag) for Royal Canin. I wanted to change my GR's food so today ordered Taste of the Wild. It's €61.99 for a 13.6kg bag that's €4.56 per kg. RC was okay but I wanted to give him a change and it gets good reviews online.

maryfred wrote: »
    At the minute I'm paying €9.50 for a 2.5 kg bag of the Purina. That's lasting about 2/3 wks. She's not a huge eater but she's in great health and her coat is very good and healthy. I don't know what people would consider to be a decent budget. Is that considered a cheap food? I think it's very reasonable price wise so I wouldn't mind going double that.
    Well I'd look at Taste of the Wild (grain free) or something like Optimanova which are both relatively close in price. It would be a significant step up in quality.

Well I'd look at Taste of the Wild (grain free) or something like Optimanova which are both relatively close in price. It would be a significant step up in quality.

Thought I'd posted a reply. I looked up both these. The TOTW one is pure protein and the other one has mostly protein and some rice. Would it be better to put her on the optimanova so that she has a bit of variety in her diet? I'm a first time owner so I'm learning as I'm going. I know my vet only sticks one particular type,don't know what it is. I won't be at the vet till next month.

• Advertisement

Of the two ToTW would be the better choice (and there are multiple variations as well) but you are unlikely to find either at your vet; your best bet is a well stocked pet store (don't listen to the sales people in the store as they'll try to sell you in on what ever and very rarely knows anything about the brands) or Zooplus.ie (which is probably the most used pet store by boards users).

Advertisement