Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dry dog food available in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Nody wrote: »
    Try adding salmon oil to her existing food perhaps?

If not Taste of the Wild, Almo Nature, Purizon and Wolf of Wilderness would be a few of the common brands you could try.
    Thanks for the reply. Managed to get her some ToTW from a friend. No interest in it at all unfortunately.

Going to stick with her Grain Free and add in the salmon on occasion as a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Just noticed this Carnilove on Equipet website. Never heard of it but it is listed as new. €60 for a 12kg bag.
    Carnilove is a super premium dog food formulated to meet your dog's natural nutritional requirements. Ideal for all breeds but especially ideal for active breeds. Carnilove is completely free from grain and contains an unique combination of fruit extracts which provide vital natural antioxidants and strengthens your dog's immune system.

http://www.equipetstores.com/dog-food/carnilove-dog-food.html?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Just noticed this Carnilove on Equipet website. Never heard of it but it is listed as new. €60 for a 12kg bag.

http://www.equipetstores.com/dog-food/carnilove-dog-food.html?
    It's on the high side (same price per kg as Orijen) but could be an alternative to potato based once; this is what I found googling in terms of content:
    salmon meal (25%), turkey meal (20%), yellow peas (20%), chicken fat (preserved with tocopherols 10%), duck flour (5%), salmon protein (5%), chicken liver (3 %), apples (3%), salmon oil (2%), carrots (1%), linseed (1%), chick peas (1%)
    Large Puppy is pretty much the same
    salmon meal (25%), turkey meal (20%), yellow peas (18%), chicken fat (preserved with tocopherols, 9%), sal - mon deboned (6%), chicken protein hydrolyzed (5%), tapioca starch (5%), apples (3%), chicken liver (3%), salmon oil (2%), carrots (1%), flaxseed (1%), chickpeas (1%)

So not bad by any means but no clue on the peas and dogs react in general (i.e. are they common allergen etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maxi zoo have some wilderness range which looks like a TOTW copy - €15 off with their in-store vouchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Redtawnie

Hi there, 1st time poster so take it easy. I have a male 7.5 years old Cavalier. I have been feeding him Kasko complete with years. He's started to have some problems with constant itching of his face and maybe some digestive problems with his bum. Was thinking of changing his dry food for a start. Was thinking of moving him to Gain/Red Mills or Beta. Just wondering what people think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Redtawnie wrote: »
    Hi there, 1st time poster so take it easy. I have a male 7.5 years old Cavalier. I have been feeding him Kasko complete with years. He's started to have some problems with constant itching of his face and maybe some digestive problems with his bum. Was thinking of changing his dry food for a start. Was thinking of moving him to Gain/Red Mills or Beta. Just wondering what people think.

Kasko is full of cereal fillers, so could well be the problem with his itching. Gain and Red Mills both do a large range of foods, the cheaper end of their ranges would also have a lot of cereal, so you'd need to go for their higher end foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheMemories

Whats the opinion of this food?

Eden Dog Food - Scoring 5 in All About Dog Food guide !
    seems to be at the lower price range of 5 stars ?

Anyone used it?

Typical Analysis
    Crude Protein: 41%, Crude Oils and Fats: 18%, Crude Fibre: 3%, Crude Ash: 9.5%, Moisture: 8%, Omega 6: 3.5%, Omega 3: 0.69%, Calcium: 1.81%, Phosphorus: 1.46%

Ingredients List *
    Chicken 19%, Dried Chicken 18%, Salmon 15%, Dried Herring 12.5%, Potato 12%, Chicken Fat 4.5%, Dried Duck 4%, Sweet Potato 3.5%, Whole Dried Egg 2.5%, Chicken Liver 2.5%, White Fish 2%, Pea Fibre 2%, Lucerne, Chickpea, Minerals & Vitamins, Carrot, Spinach, Apple, Rosehips, Camomile, Burdock Root, Seaweed, Cranberry, Aniseed & Fenugreek, Fructooligosaccharides (461 mg/kg), Glucosamine (341mg/kg), MSMClick to see what we think about MSM in dog food (341mg/kg), Chondroitin (240mg/kg), Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Sage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It certainly is an excellent food... I have never used it here though as I think it's very pricey? Or at least, there are less expensive but similar foods available!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Whats the opinion of this food?

Eden Dog Food - Scoring 5 in All About Dog Food guide !
    seems to be at the lower price range of 5 stars ?

Anyone used it?

Typical Analysis
    Crude Protein: 41%, Crude Oils and Fats: 18%, Crude Fibre: 3%, Crude Ash: 9.5%, Moisture: 8%, Omega 6: 3.5%, Omega 3: 0.69%, Calcium: 1.81%, Phosphorus: 1.46%

Ingredients List *
    Chicken 19%, Dried Chicken 18%, Salmon 15%, Dried Herring 12.5%, Potato 12%, Chicken Fat 4.5%, Dried Duck 4%, Sweet Potato 3.5%, Whole Dried Egg 2.5%, Chicken Liver 2.5%, White Fish 2%, Pea Fibre 2%, Lucerne, Chickpea, Minerals & Vitamins, Carrot, Spinach, Apple, Rosehips, Camomile, Burdock Root, Seaweed, Cranberry, Aniseed & Fenugreek, Fructooligosaccharides (461 mg/kg), Glucosamine (341mg/kg), MSMClick to see what we think about MSM in dog food (341mg/kg), Chondroitin (240mg/kg), Thyme, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Sage.

Hmm, I'm not sure, that's a high ash content. My dogs love orijen, their varieties have the best ingredients. The have loads of energy all of the time and have excellent coats, skin and most importantly poos. An 80% meat, 20% fruit and veg food with no grain.

The dogs can't get enough of it. Not cheap, but worth it for my two old english sheepdog babies!

There's not that much more ash in Eden than there is in Orijen though (9.5% vs 8%)... I think it usually comes in at somewhere between 8 to 10%, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 TheMemories

I only noticed it because it was the only 5 out of 5 when I had applied filters!

£1.02 per day with the details I had entered compared to £1.11 for the Acana Adult Large Breed and £1.09 for the Markus Mühle NaturNah which I was looking at.

I say "looking at", but doubt a will actually go that expensive, lol.

Much more research to do, me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

DBB wrote: »
    There's not that much more ash in Eden than there is in Orijen though (9.5% vs 8%)... I think it usually comes in at somewhere between 8 to 10%, no?

I thought it was about 2-4% in orijen dog food and up to 8% in cat food.

I can't recommend it enough though. My new pup has transformed in a week..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 227 ✭✭Dubs1990

hi guys,

correct me if im talking out of my **** , is it threw that my 7 month old german shepherd should start getting lower protein so he does not grow to quick ? hes 30kg at the moment , im looking at the champion sensitive salmon and potato which only gives 20% protein is this too low ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

High protein foods can make the large breeds grow very fast. What I normally do is put all my puppies on adult food once they are about 4/5 mths old. This works well. I do this with both the large & small breeds that I have.

I started my Golden Retriever on this a few weeks ago. There seems to be little about it by way of reviews but I'm impressed by it so far. He had been on Royal Canin since I got him and didn't take kindly to a change to Orijen and Taste of the Wild before I changed him to Royal Canin adult at 15 months.

He used to really wolf down his food but seemed to struggle with the the Royal Canin adult. It's nice to see him back to looking like he is enjoying his food again.

I paid €41.99 for 12kg but they now offer 3kg free.

P.S. Cleaning up is easier too. No more runny poop (RC) but good dark solid stools.
    Zooplus wrote:
    Concept for Life Golden Retriever Adult is a complete dry food for adult dogs.

Ingredients:
    23% poultry protein (rich in chicken, partly dried and hydrolysed), 20% fresh chicken meat, rice, maize, dried beet pulp (desugared), rice flour, linseed, lignocellulose, poultry fat, sodium chloride, monocalcium phosphate, brewer’s yeast (dried), egg (dried), 0.1% salmon oil, psyllium husks (dried), 0.1% sunflower oil, 0.1% borage oil, 0.1% chicory inulin, 0.04% glucosamine, 0.02% chondroitin sulphate, 0.01% marigold flower meal (rich in lutein), 0.01% green tea extract (dried, rich in flavonoids).

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/concept_for_life

WPTwBSv.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

I took my dog to the vet a few months ago and the vet recommended Pro Pac. My smooth hair fox terrier is 18 months old and I have tried him on a variety of dry foods over that time, (Red Mills Leader, Gain, IAMS, etc) looking for one he likes, top quality and best value for money.

The Pro Pac tops it all for me and on the vets recommendation I have him on the Chicken and Brown Rice formula. The guideline feed for a dog of 5kg-10kg is 70g-115g. My dog is roughly 8.5kg so I feed him around the 115g mark and in a 12kg bag for 53 euros, it's brilliant value. The vet said it will bring on his coat a lot and myself and others have noticed a huge difference as a result. The dog loves it and in the past, he hasn't been the best eater of dry food. The only thing about this product as far as I know, is that only veterinaries around the country sell it. You can see a list of them for yourself on their website.
    PRO PAC® Ultimates™ Chicken Meal and Brown Rice Formula is made without corn, wheat or soy providing the ultimate in canine nutrition. This formula uses a single protein source from premium quality chicken meal, which provides essential amino acids to help maintain strong muscle and a healthy, shiny coat. This antioxidant formula is fortified with Vitamin A and Vitamin C along with nutrient-rich, vegetables and fruits from peas, apples, blueberries, carrots, spinach and cranberries. Fibers from beets, blueberries and cranberries help overall digestion.

PRO PAC® Ultimates™ Chicken Meal and Brown Rice Formula is nutritionally balanced and fortified with proper levels of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids to help support a healthy skin and hair coat. L-Carnitine helps burn fat and maintain lean muscle mass to support a healthy, active lifestyle. PRO PAC® Ultimates™ is fortified with chelated minerals to allow for higher absorption helping digestion, immune function and healthy skin and hair coat. PRO PAC® Ultimates™ Chicken Meal and Brown Rice Formula is 100% guaranteed for taste and nutrition.
    Ingredients

Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Rice Bran, Peas, Chicken Fat (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Dried Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Apples, Blueberries, Cranberries, Carrots, Spinach, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

http://www.propac.ie/pro-pac-ultimates-adult-chicken-meal-and-brown-rice-formula

I took my dog to the vet a few months ago and the vet recommended Pro Pac...
    The only thing about this product as far as I know, is that only veterinaries around the country sell it.

Must be good so if it's only vets can recommend and sell it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

DBB wrote: »
    Must be good so if it's only vets can recommend and sell it :D
    People pay crazy prices for dog food, my daughter works in a vets dearest dog food is €100 for 14kg and they are qeueing up for it :eek:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    People pay crazy prices for dog food, my daughter works in a vets dearest dog food is €100 for 14kg and they are qeueing up for it :eek:

That might be a prescription food though, so, whilst it is expensive, it may not be as bad as it seems, if it is helping to keep a medical condition under control. Although there are some non prescription foods on sale in Irish pet shops for around €90 for 15kg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

muddypaws wrote: »
    That might be a prescription food though, so, whilst it is expensive, it may not be as bad as it seems, if it is helping to keep a medical condition under control. Although there are some non prescription foods on sale in Irish pet shops for around €90 for 15kg

Are they any better than the likes of taste of the wild/Orijen and similar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭highbury1913

muddypaws wrote: »

No, I was taking my dog for his yearly booster. No medical condition. His coat was already in good condition.

I agree, some of those vet foods are hugely expensive, but as I said, for a dog of my size getting 115g a day from a 12kg bag for 53 euros, that is great value. With a measuring cup from the vet, that lasts over 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Try autarky it's surprisingly good for the price I got a 15kg bag for 32 euro but I've 4 dogs to feed on a budget

The Orijen I tried my (then) pup on is €99.35 in Equipet. They have another Orijen (6 Fish) at €117.79 for 13kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

My lads been on Arden Grange for 8 years. 12kg off Amazon 42 euro. He likes it and he strong as an ox

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Are they any better than the likes of taste of the wild/Orijen and similar?

Same kind of food, whether you think they are better, is open to interpretation ;)
    No, I was taking my dog for his yearly booster. No medical condition. His coat was already in good condition.

I agree, some of those vet foods are hugely expensive, but as I said, for a dog of my size getting 115g a day from a 12kg bag for 53 euros, that is great value. With a measuring cup from the vet, that lasts over 3 months.

I was replying to a different poster, I quoted it in my reply :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭Bobthefireman

I can't quite remember the name but it was something like Pro Science or Science Plus or something. My dog had anal something-or-others (kept scratching her bum) so vet recommended the mature dog version of it. Another thing he said was to not ever put water in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I've had my dog on Markus Mühle. Then on Call of the Wild. I now have him on James Wellbeloved duck and rice. €55 for 15kg from zooplus.

It's been by far the best of the ones I listed. Fewer poops than the other two. And his coat whilst it's always been really good. Is even better if that's possible. :eek:

It's even shinier and now he has zero dandruff. Very happy with the food.

Jeeez just went on to order the 2 x 13kg bags of Orijen. It has gone up to €93-99 per bag!!!!!

WTF????? I nee a new alternative. Something just as good but not as expensive...

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I swear by James Wellbeloved duck and rice. It's €54 per 15kg and zoo plus do 2x bags for about €100.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mad Muffin
    I should have said though that I want a complete grain free food.

Dogs: German Shepherd and Terrier

Advertisement