Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dry dog food available in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Springwell

Feed for activity level the dog is doing - I've used the Lupo 24/10 for my working dogs before and found it good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭nhg

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zurbaran View Post
    Found this thread very useful, thanks. I see that there have been a few class action lawsuits against taste of the wild so will be avoiding that.

What has taste of the wild in trouble?
    Zurbaran wrote: »
    Somebody tested it and found high amounts of arsenic, heavy metals and other toxins.

Sugar...... We're still feeding our Collie & Golden Retriver Taste of the Wilde purchased through zooplus thankfully no issues so far. Both are doing good on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Locotastic

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Found this thread very useful, thanks. I see that there have been a few class action lawsuits against taste of the wild so will be avoiding that.

I notice zooplus don’t seem to stock acana or orijen anymore so wondered if people are still buying the same food now or if there are newer recommended brands?

I get Orijen from Petstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

cocker5 wrote: »
    Return to the wild? Not sure I’ve heard of it OP
    It’s mutz nutz own brand. 65 for 12 kg as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Locotastic wrote: »
    I get Orijen from Petstop.

Going to try this next. Not a fan of the fishy breath even though orijen uses fish as well it doesn’t seem to be the main protein. It seems expensive but gets good reviews.

Sometimes I think I should just go with a basic one as I also feed him eggs and meet we eat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Tautological

Anyone had issues with canagan?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Anyone had issues with canagan?

Our 18mth old Westie is thriving on it.

She was starting to get the signs of A topic dermatitis that westies are prone to. She’d gotten a few cytopoint injections and it was a path we didn’t want to go down long term without trying other avenues first as it costs a fortune. She’d been on royal canin and we then tried Hills Derma Defence as recommended by the vet and that drove her even more crazy with itching and paw chewing even with the cytopoint injection. She didn’t even complete one 2kg bag it was that bad.

We looked into the ingredients in dog foods and decided to try a grain free one and ended up with Canagan after looking at various forums and reviews. It also has a good variety of small bite flavours. Since she started it back in September her coat has really filled in and haven’t had an signs of itching or paw chewing and hasn’t had an injection since last August.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stephrousseau

There’s a new one called Oscar’s farm that looks good- haven’t tried it though and not sure of costs.

Bob and lush have started distibuting in Ireland, but think they’re ok the expensive side.

Have you used the allaboutdogfood website?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tony H

we have a 18 week old golden retriever and his breeder had him on this

it seems to be rebranded according to the shop you buy it from , to be honest she's doing great on it , just getting concerned after reading the articles about grain free problems , the only thing is that her output is quite a lot , even though its firm and since we have her no tummy problems whatever , her sire's breeder recommends raw or platinum which is basically dried raw with some rice , any suggestions appreciated .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oops... I think I meant that Zooplus has a Zooplus-owned Rocco dry food. Without going searching, I'm not sure who owns Bosch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I've been feeding my 60lb 3 year old seven grain free from petmania she seems fine on it but are there better value alternatives I think it's in the pricier side any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Mine is in it for 2 years seems happy with it I go for the salmon variety!

I'm curious to know can I do better for the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Thanks, I spotted the Bosch on zooplus and as I can no longer get the food that most of my dogs have been on for the last few years, (thanks Brexit) I'm trying to find an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I use Naturo grain free and my dog seems happy out with it.

From what I can see it seems to be a decent enough a one. I think it's a tenner for 2kg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Bosch are their own company. I’ve gotten their treats from other German sites/maybe Amazon.de? I miss their selection of mini bags of treats Zooplus used to do ☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Orijen (we get the small dog puppy chicke one) is one of the best - a bit pricey, but the composition is very good. We (10 month Maltese) also get Red Mills (Salmon small dog puppy), its Irish and our dog likes it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

We give our cavapoo bakers dog food from dunnes, he was on hills science plan which he enjoyed, but so far he's more enthusiastic about the cheaper bakers! I'm not too happy about giving him the cheaper stuff but if you look at reviews even royal canin and science plan get poor (lawsuit) reviews. Our King Charles died after 8year and he spent his entire life on royal canin so.......

I think Bakers scores 24% on the All About Dog Food site, very near the bottom. My Mam fed it to her dog and it rotted his teeth.

• Advertisement

I'm thinking to change to red mills leader puppy food, good ingredients, good reviews, good price and made in Ireland.

Question, why do vets recommend hills science plan?

So got a 12kg bag of red mills puppy yesterday, so mixing it with some of his old stuff, the bag is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Our fella has been on lily's kitchen since he was a puppy and zero issues with it.

Bar the fact you can't get it here anymore due to Brexit etc. You occasionally get wet food in tescos. But we go to newry maybe 3 times a year and stock up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭micks_address

went back a few pages bit didnt see any mention of it. We feed our Jack russel Burns sensitive dry food.. it can be a bit smelly at both ends but im not sure its the food? what are peoples experience in general with Burns food?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I heard there's a temporary supplier issue at the moment for us to get it in the South, it's something that's being worked on to get fixed. Have you heard differently?

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 31,880 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's been going on for ages so not sure. Very hard at best of times to get it down here unless going direct or via Amazon (both gone)

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

My friend has her puppy on the Leader food and he's thriving.

I find there is an issue with any coming from UK suppliers, Lily's Kitchen, Canagen, Aatu, not to mention that their prices are gone too expensive, so they are not worth purchasing unless you take a trip north.

My fella eats Acana, but there is mixed feedback on grain free. Any opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 cool1n

I find it strange so many people seem to be recommending grain free food for dogs without grain allergies? You do know its infinitely better to feed a dog dry food with grains?

A simple google search will show you the many thousands of deaths linked to grain free dog food.

Advertisement