Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

sumo12 wrote: »
    Got talking to a very helpful tech guy in Pure this evening, here is the explanation he gave me:

Router sends out signals in 2.4g or 5g. Phone, laptop randomly connects to either. Max speed on 2.4g is 100mb. This explains the fluctuations in my connection speed.

He split my wireless networks into 2.4g and 5g and told me to connect phones etc, to 5g and smart home stuff to 2.4g. Download consistently 400-450mb on phone now - he says this is the max you will get wirelessly and older devices will not be capable of this speed anyway. Some laptops even with ethernet not capable of top speeds.

Apologies if you all knew this anyway and a further apology for being late to the knowledge....

I thought you said you had tested when connected via cable to router? As long as your cable was a cat6 or cat 5e you should be getting the full speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I thought you said you had tested when connected via cable to router? As long as your cable was a cat6 or cat 5e you should be getting the full speed?

Not unless the laptop ethernet port can handle the speed is what tech guy explained to me, only newer laptops will be capable of the speed. My ethernet laptop is old and my new laptop doesn't have an ethernet port

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

sumo12 wrote: »
    Not unless the laptop ethernet port can handle the speed is what tech guy explained to me, only newer laptops will be capable of the speed. My ethernet laptop is old and my new laptop doesn't have an ethernet port

You can get gigabit speed USB ethernet dongles ..... readily available on e.g. Amazon etc. :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Stone wrote: »
    You can get gigabit speed USB ethernet dongles ..... readily available on e.g. Amazon etc. :)

I'd say it's highly unlikely that a laptop too old to have a gigabit Ethernet port will be able to reliably deliver gigabit on USB.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Stone

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I'd say it's highly unlikely that a laptop too old to have a gigabit Ethernet port will be able to reliably deliver gigabit on USB.

True perhaps ... yeah, my bad :(
    But if it has USB3 ports then it will work ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Stone wrote: »
    True perhaps ... yeah, my bad :(
    But if it has USB3 ports then it will work ....

ONLY if he buys a good quality one.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

10 year old laptops with gig lan - SO dont sound too factual as reason unless your devices
    are rated lower

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jelem wrote: »
    10 year old laptops with gig lan - SO dont sound too factual as reason unless your devices
    are rated lower

Gig lan port does not mean CPU can utilize a gig. It just means it can utilise more than 100 Mbit/s.

Important difference.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Cilar

Siro is working fine. I'm on Vodafone. I managed to get ~950Mbps on the latest update of GTA5 earlier today. Desktop computer directly cabled in ethernet to the router, writing to a SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Marlow wrote: »
    Gig lan port does not mean CPU can utilize a gig. It just means it can utilise more than 100 Mbit/s.

Important difference.

/M
    lol i just one of majority whom because government is involved in and supports
    Cartel and Monopolies in telecom in ireland-- status is unless i sign up to a monopoly
    (there is no competition and competition authority has NO teeth - purposefully set by
    corrupt government to avoid criminal charges), i cannot get more than 11Mb and i am in estste in
    south county dublin paying "THEFT" charges and no option but to move to poorer service "resellers".
    This thread along with its contributors constantly Fail to point out "it is the government that is
    guilty of you receiving a poor service". even the eu funds for nb rollout is going to private profit companies
    with political timetables for political sound bites.
    YOU (not abusive CAPS but to highlight) are responding to an individual whom is very tech savvy and learning each day more of how
    the citizens are being abused and ripped off by corrupt and incompetant FF\FG governments.
    even the pathetic excuse greens are willing to plant a large environmental footprint ie x kilometres
    of cable (manufacure\raw materials\transport etc. instead of hi-tech 5G towers which cover 1 tower
    18 miles - hence 2 towers cover dublin and more. this of course so it can be broken up ans given away to telcos.
    whom will rip off the citizens with what has been paid for by citizens and eu.
    read my posts on many subjects and all point to the theft by corrupt government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,793 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cartel and Monopolies in telecom in ireland-- status is unless i sign up to a monopoly
    (there is no competition and competition authority has NO teeth - purposefully set by
    corrupt government to avoid criminal charges), i cannot get more than 11Mb and i am in estste in
    south county dublin paying "THEFT" charges and no option but to move to poorer service "resellers".
    This thread along with its contributors constantly Fail to point out "it is the government that is
    guilty of you receiving a poor service". even the eu funds for nb rollout is going to private profit companies
    YOU (not abusive CAPS but to highlight) are responding to an individual whom is very tech savvy and learning each day more of how
    the citizens are being abused and ripped off by corrupt and incompetant FF\FG governments.
    even the pathetic excuse greens are willing to plant a large environmental footprint ie x kilometres
    of cable (manufacure\raw materials\transport etc. instead of hi-tech 5G towers which cover 1 tower
    18 miles - hence 2 towers cover dublin and more. this of course so it can be broken up ans given away to telcos.
    read my posts on many subjects and all point to the theft by corrupt government.

Is that you Gemma?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭Nollog

I disagree.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...2 towers cover dublin and more.

I, for one, can foresee no difficulties with this approach.

I'd sooner stick needles in both my eyes.... Seriously, where do people like you dream up this drivel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I've been running a speed test from a hard wired Raspberry Pi every 5 minutes over the last 3 days. Never once did I break 300mb on the speed tests to a local vodafone server.

I feel like something is being throttled, if it was contention in any way at night the numbers would have jumped. I've restarted the router a few times and tried double checking configs for anything that might be limiting but still no joy.

I've been running a speed test from a hard wired Raspberry Pi every 5 minutes over the last 3 days. Never once did I break 300mb on the speed tests to a local vodafone server.

I feel like something is being throttled, if it was contention in any way at night the numbers would have jumped. I've restarted the router a few times and tried double checking configs for anything that might be limiting but still no joy.

What version Pi - if its a 3 then that is all you would expect to get?

What version Pi - if its a 3 then that is all you would expect to get?

Nope it's a 4, gigabit ethernet port on it. Was part of the reason I decided to use it for this purpose. Here's an example of it

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s467/sh/bb81bf9a-1c66-4e70-8ebe-6580391709fa/bab7aa2f1cfbc4c7/res/1f2ee925-6056-4fd7-a2f9-f7112d23dd51

Changed to link. Image wasn't showing when embedded

Nope it's a 4, gigabit ethernet port on it. Was part of the reason I decided to use it for this purpose. Here's an example of it

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s467/sh/bb81bf9a-1c66-4e70-8ebe-6580391709fa/bab7aa2f1cfbc4c7/res/1f2ee925-6056-4fd7-a2f9-f7112d23dd51

Changed to link. Image wasn't showing when embedded

Just checking (obviously I never got caught out by something like that, ever...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Have you gotten gigabit speeds on it before? Over a LAN even? Just to rule out device issues

Both boards (3 and 4) have gigabit Ethernet, but the speed of the Raspberry Pi's 3's Ethernet is constrained by relying on a USB 2.0 bridge, which limits the maximum throughput to about 300Mbps, compared to true Gigabit Ethernet on the Pi 4.

When I saw your 300mb upper figure, it rang some bells...

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Have you gotten gigabit speeds on it before? Over a LAN even? Just to rule out device issues

Yup I had gotten 700-900 on it manual tests before I automated it. No manual run is producing good numbers anymore.

When I saw your 300mb upper figure, it rang some bells...

Yeah with ethernet I expect 10/100/1000 to be upper edge limits. 260mb seems the average pretty universally across the board right now. During the day it's probably expected with others on the line but overnight it not spiking to the 700-900 is unusual I would think.

Got their email this morning, yep still no sign of it going live, the rolls of fibre dotted around the town are almost a year old now, what a shambles of an outfit.

Yeah with ethernet I expect 10/100/1000 to be upper edge limits. 260mb seems the average pretty universally across the board right now. During the day it's probably expected with others on the line but overnight it not spiking to the 700-900 is unusual I would think.

FWIW right now I am seeing 688.3 down (Virgin) - we are due to get the fibre cabling brought to our nearest pole on Thursday. My other concern with Siro is the "fair usage" caps on some of the packages...

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Got their email this morning, yep still no sign of it going live, the rolls of fibre dotted around the town are almost a year old now, what a shambles of an outfit.

Getting fibre to my Pole on Thursday!

I got this installed last week via Vodafone. Not impressed so far. Seeing speeds average from 50mb-150mb which is slower than what I was getting with Virgin. I contacted VF support and they said my order isn't complete on their system so I should see an improvement when that changes but I'm not sure how legitimate that is.

Got 700mb when when connected the laptop directly to the router.

Getting fibre to my Pole on Thursday!

There's fibre outside my front door and there it stops. Did you get an install date?

CoBo55 wrote: »
    There's fibre outside my front door and there it stops. Did you get an install date?

Nope - but I am in contract with Virgin until November anyway. Its just this pole is about 4 hops in from the road on private grounds (serving about 4 houses), so the fact they are doing it "unprompted" is great.

Nope - but I am in contract with Virgin until November anyway. Its just this pole is about 4 hops in from the road on private grounds (serving about 4 houses), so the fact they are doing it "unprompted" is great.

Further note: Since switching to modem mode with Virgin router and sticking an OpenWRT box in front of it, my internet has been rock solid. Come November I will be looking hard at:
    * Fair usage limits
    * Existing customer speeds, experiences
    * Supplied hardware
    * Upload speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Hi guys,
    Just about to pull the trigger on Sky TV+Broadband (Siro) Just wanted to confirm I am not forced to use the SkyHub as my modem/router to terminate the link from ONT? Im just going to pop my UDM-P there instead. (dont want any of this bridge mode nonsense, haha.

Advertisement