Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

As a layman, can I ask a sincere question. There are lots of (exciting/scary depending on your perspective) charts posted, immediately followed by a consensus opinion that the charts do not mean much at all and probably won't materialise. If this is the case, what is the point of these charts if they never/rarely materialise?

I'm not having a go at anyone here, obviously they have a point in the context of this thread and for discussion etc, but I mean why are they made in the first place?

This thread is about looking at the Fantasy charts, we dream about the ones we like cry about the ones we don't.

In reality we could just post them and say what we think, the part about them not happening is added mainly to ensure we don't get carried away or someone comes into the thread and doesn't realize what Fantasy Island is.

Looking for trends is also part of it and can help establish when FI starts in people's opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

As a layman, can I ask a sincere question. There are lots of (exciting/scary depending on your perspective) charts posted, immediately followed by a consensus opinion that the charts do not mean much at all and probably won't materialise. If this is the case, what is the point of these charts if they never/rarely materialise?

I'm not having a go at anyone here, obviously they have a point in the context of this thread and for discussion etc, but I mean why are they made in the first place?

Others can give a more scientifically detailed explanation, but essentially, for several reasons, each day forward from your starting point adds a little more inaccuracy to the charts, and this accelerates exponentially once you reach day five and beyond. So in other words, the charts for later today are probably extremely accurate, for tomorrow are probably very accurate, for Wednesday are probably still quite accurate but slipping a lot, for Thursday are only fairly accurate and for Friday are a bit of a long shot. From Friday and beyond, you're into "anybody's guess" territory.

However, because these models are run several times per day (four times for the GFS, twice for the ECM and UKMO), you can start to build a better picture of what might be coming down the line by taking several runs in a row of all the models and trying to spot trends.

The reason most of us are cautioning that FI models should be considered highly hypothetical right now specifically, is because of the ongoing stratospheric event. Detailed stratospheric modelling is a relatively new science for these models and we have seen time and time again that when there is a large amount of uncertainty regarding developments high up in the atmosphere, the charts which are directly relevant to our weather tend to reflect that and swing wildly from one potential conclusion to another every time the models are run. This tends to continue until events transpiring in the stratosphere are "locked in" and the models can be more certain as to their effects closer to the surface.

To summarise, essentially, all of these charts are theoretical possibilities of what might happen a week or two from now. And each specific event is directly connected to other events around the world. When you look at a chart which is fifteen days away, it's a valid possibility of what the weather might do - but if you change one little variable on say day ten - for example, if a high pressure system which is expected to move away from its current location instead stays where it is - then the chart for day fifteen, which assumed that this feature would stay where it was, will be completely written off as a solution. But we can't know that until we get to day ten and see if the HP system does indeed move.

So essentially, these models are interesting for talking about the theoretical possibilities as to what might happen with our weather, but they must be considered only as potential outcomes among dozens of other possibilities. Until we have major improvements in (a) computing power, and (b) the amount of data we're able to collect about the current state of the weather at any given moment, model accuracy will continue to decline with each day you move away from your starting point in time. Thus, at the moment, charts with a timestamp of more than 120 hours (some would say 144 these days but the consensus is still that 120 is the gold standard) should be regarded as possibilities, but possibilities among many, many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Billcarson could get his long awaited cold second half of January ;)

The rollercoaster rages on.

Indeed lol. We certainly are well,well overdue one. It's now or never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

sryanbruen wrote: »

Also daniel_t1409, wrong thread :P
    LOL :D

My apologies:o:rolleyes:

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

When we had -8c 850hPa the other day we still managed a 2c high.
    Thats because of the Atlantic fed air source though and 1000's of miles of its attendant marine layer
    Eastern Artic source is a whole different ball game
    The only place it would be aswarm as 2c when they get established would be in your kitchen fridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Lads, what links do youse use to view the chats ?
    There are so many charts on each of the models that I have no idea which is which... thanks

There are so many charts on each of the models that I have no idea which is which... thanks

The most popular one is the French Meteociel, www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php for the GFS, www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf.php for the ECM, and www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ukmo2.php for the UKMO.

Handy hint: Assuming you have plenty of data or are on a wifi connection, click the "precharger" button above the times on the left hand side of the chart. This loads all the images at once, so that after a few seconds you can simply hover the mouse up and down over the list of timestamps and the chart will change instantly as you hover. Clicking on any of the times resets this process so I recommend just hovering instead. The "Suite" button on the bottom of the list of times for the GFS will take you to the second page, which has everything from 192 hours to 384.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

One of the easier ways to be view the basic parts of the main models is an Italian App you can download on app stores called "Meteo Models". One thing is for each model run you must clear the previous run by clicking a giant button on the home page. V easy to use after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In fact, just checked and there are a few other such apps in English if you search for them....

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

From Netweather

https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thank you for the links, I will check them all out

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This mornings runs on the ECM, GEM and the GFS are starting to get there in terms of agreement but it is still too early to tell if this is going to work in our favour or not. It is all hinging on that Greenland high and the Iberian high. On the GFS they are still not doing a great job in going where we need them. The Greenland high doesn't stay there for very long and heights remain high over Spain for the duration of the GFS run.

The ECM appears to be having a better time of getting that high towards Greenland and moving the heights away from Iberia. But we can't see beyond 240 hours on the ECM to what happens next. GEM is very similar to the ECM.

All we need now is patience and another few days. If we maintain this setup with no more flipping of charts and the cold spell makes it's journey from this FI thread into the up to 120 hour tread then we can start to become more excited and believe in this more. I would like to see this evenings runs by the models stick generally with what they are showing this morning and hopefully more upgrades by tomorrow. The pub run later tonight could still throw another wobble, we shall see.

Gonzo wrote: »
    This mornings runs on the ECM, GEM and the GFS are starting to get there in terms of agreement but it is still too early to tell if this is going to work in our favour or not...

...The pub run later tonight could still throw another wobble, we shall see.

On these points, a quick question: For as long as I can remember, veteran forecasters here and elsewhere have generally regarded the 6z and 18z GFS runs with suspicion, due as far as I know to their initialisation dataset being incomplete when compared with the 0z and 12z runs, and furthermore that while the 0z and 12z are lo-res from 192h onwards, the 6z and 18z runs are lo-res the entire way through.

Is this still the case, and does it also apply to the new parallel runs as well? It's for this reason that I've generally tended to disregard the 6z output in particular if it massively contradicts the overnight 0z run, but given how many times the GFS has been upgraded over the past decade, this view of run-to-run reliability could well be entirely out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

On these points, a quick question: For as long as I can remember, veteran forecasters here and elsewhere have generally regarded the 6z and 18z GFS runs with suspicion, due as far as I know to their initialisation dataset being incomplete when compared with the 0z and 12z runs, and furthermore that while the 0z and 12z are lo-res from 192h onwards, the 6z and 18z runs are lo-res the entire way through.

Is this still the case, and does it also apply to the new parallel runs as well? It's for this reason that I've generally tended to disregard the 6z output in particular if it massively contradicts the overnight 0z run, but given how many times the GFS has been upgraded over the past decade, this view of run-to-run reliability could well be entirely out of date.

Aren't the 6Z and 18Z better at short-range verification compared to the other two runs? I'd imagine they'd keep them in their different configurations for that reason.

Also it's good to have disagreement in models!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Good UKMO. Building blocks in place by day 5. Once we get that "trigger" low pressure to the northwest ready to move southeast it puts us in a good position for cold by day 7/8.

UW144-21.GIF?11-17

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Good UKMO. Building blocks in place by day 5. Once we get that "trigger" low pressure to the northwest ready to move southeast it puts us in a good position for cold by day 7/8.

UW144-21.GIF?11-17

That will do Frog that will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Have I gone mad or is the 12z GFS late today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Rougies wrote: »

yes it's delayed on the NOAA server, irritating!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Yes it's late there's a notice on Meteociel that it is delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Zogabomb

Yep.. it's late - connection issue apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Artane2002 wrote: »
    yes it's delayed on the NOAA server, irritating!
    Yes it's late there's a notice on Meteociel that it is delayed.
    Zogabomb wrote: »
    Yep.. it's late - connection issue apparently.

Its the Beast....:eek:

But this will do.
    HBPgnKL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The GFS is out on another platform according to our own MT over on netweather. Not as good a earlier runs today and cold spell short lived but battleground opportunities. Lads it’s never straightforward but plenty twists and turns yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Artane2002

The GFS is out on another platform according to our own MT over on netweather. Not as good a earlier runs today and cold spell short lived but battleground opportunities. Lads it’s never straightforward but plenty twists and turns yet.

he said most of Ireland gets a pasting on.... you guessed it, day 16. he also said this
    The whole run looks suspiciously like bogus data contamination when compared to previous runs and other models out at same time. I'm guessing it will be an aberration that gets binned by the pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There will be another meltdown on Nethweather if it isn't.

It could be an outlier, but what M.T.Cranium omits to mention is on a few runs now the GFS had wanted to make the cold spell brief. The good news is the models are building towards a colder turn, but if you are looking for a week or more of ice days you maybe disappointed. Personally i could live with a short cold spell, if it was very snowy- with the possibility of one major frontal snow event. That could happen if the boundary between competing airmasses were to be over Ireland.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GEM is released and while it does get us into a cold northerly, it doesn't look like it will last long. The High just about gets to Greenland but as soon as it does it begins moving south-eastwards back towards Iberia and edges closer to us as well after just 2 or 3 days.

GEMOPEU12_180_1.png

GEMOPEU12_240_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Personally i could live with a short cold spell, if it was very snowy- with the possibility of one major frontal snow event. That could happen if the boundary between competing airmasses were to be over Ireland.

Yep I'd be happy with a brief cold onslaught too. A good dumping be very welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

Yep I'd be happy with a brief cold onslaught too. A good dumping be very welcome.

10 days away people many rides left on this roller coaster. I wont be happy until i see the words epic and historic and not just on netweather ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

bazlers wrote: »
    10 days away people many rides left on this roller coaster. I wont be happy until i see the words epic and historic and not just on netweather ; )

Oh I've held my season ticket for many years on here. The thrill is seeing thing slowly come together and then enjoy the loop da loops 😆

12z GFS finally rolling out as we speak. Edges of your seats, everyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

Oh I've held my season ticket for many years on here. The thrill is seeing thing slowly come together and then enjoy the loop da loops 😆

Its like Christmas MV the build up can be better than the day itself. Lets hope we get mamy many many days looking forward to this one. Might just go our way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement