Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Air travel suspended for 48 hours from midnight *Mod Warning in OP Please Read*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Penfailed

GarIT wrote: »
    I was talking to someone in London who said on some heavily infected streets the military are preventing people leaving their homes. Don't know how true that is.

It's not true.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Family from tier 2 in England flew in on Sunday last with Ryanair...but Ryanair aren't flying back into the UK now. Seriously odd because other airlines are. So to get to the airport they need to its easier to fly from Belfast with Easyjet . Ryanairs cancellation/ refund stuff is alot easier than it was but thats cold comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Oh dear, I upset the poor guy that phoned me wanting to confirm my details on the COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form :o

I feel bad about it now but the monotone voice just set me on edge as he read out his script and then asked me for my address.

Don't know why I did it but I asked him to prove who he was but he couldn't and read the script telling me it was a legal requirement. The best he could do for identification was to give me an HSE number to call that isn't manned at the weekend.

I've got to organise a Covid test as requested by the DFA on Monday so I'll call the HSE number he gave me.

Edit> Called back the number they call from (01 2308717) and confirmed my address only to discover that their details showed that my flight was cancelled :confused:.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Anyone heard any word on when UK / Ireland travel will resume. Airlines are taking bookings from 1 Jan, but woundnt be surprised is it’s extended

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Anyone heard any word on when UK / Ireland travel will resume. Airlines are taking bookings from 1 Jan, but woundnt be surprised is it’s extended
    Noises are of the outright ban being lifted in the newyear but looks like we will not be told of the new arrangments until basically a day or so beforehand.

• Advertisement

PommieBast wrote: »
    Noises are of the outright ban being lifted in the newyear but looks like we will not be told of the new arrangments until basically a day or so beforehand.

Proof of a negative test perhaps. Or testing upon arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My money would be on first light Monday 4th, this will be after work traditional holidays so movements would be minimalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

My money would be on first light Monday 4th, this will be after work traditional holidays so movements would be minimalised.

My family members had to fly back via Belfast and Easyjet..4hr30 min drive to the airport but we are all glad Northern Ireland didn't stop flights from Great Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Anyone know if Aer Lingus and Ryanair are flying into the UK from Dublin? Or is the ban for all flights in and out of the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Did they extend it by a week as was speculated?

• Advertisement

cmac2009 wrote: »
    Yep, it has. Dunno what good it is supposed to do though as that direction is very quiet this time of year..

cmac2009 wrote: »

I was late to the speech, so i missed any mention of it too. I can't find info online, so im assuming it's not been extended?

EDIT: Ignore me, Thanks PommieBast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Can anyone explain how there is a travel ban yet there seem - according to the Dublin airport website - to be flights coming in and out of the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Can anyone explain how there is a travel ban yet there seem - according to the Dublin airport website - to be flights coming in and out of the UK?

There is no ban on flights from Ireland to the UK, afaik. Airlines seem to taking decisions -presumably based on profitability- on whether to cancel flights or not. Aer Lingus seem to be running far more than Ryanair.

For flights from UK to Ireland, there seems to be some "rescue" flights for Irish citizens that are stranded in the UK. Could possibly explain the inbound flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Comer1

Can UK residents, moving back to Ireland to live here permanently, in a newly purchased house, travel back by ferry before the 6th of January?

Comer1 wrote: »
    Can UK residents, moving back to Ireland to live here permanently, in a newly purchased house, travel back by ferry before the 6th of January?

Yes. There is no hard and fast rule - generally proof of residency in Ireland is needed, but its within the power of the DFA to approve the trip. They'd agree to that for sure and the number is on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

So recently learned someone, who was in the UK (london for 2 weeks) at Xmas got a ferry back to belfast before the new year and drove home to ireland immediately from Belfast.

I believe it is a legal, and ethical, requirement to complete the passenger locator form and they believe it is not as there is no requirement coming from the north?

Is this true???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

deegs wrote: »
    So recently learned someone, who was in the UK (london for 2 weeks) at Xmas got a ferry back to belfast before the new year and drove home to ireland immediately from Belfast.

I believe it is a legal, and ethical, requirement to complete the passenger locator form and they believe it is not as there is no requirement coming from the north?

Is this true???

Its true unfortunately
    By law, passengers arriving to Ireland from overseas are required to complete this form, with the exception of the following:

passengers arriving from Northern Ireland

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/

Morally I would suggest they need to isolate for 14 days but nothing forcing them or even suggesting they should.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

Disgusted.
    I do wonder whats the point of putting a year of sacrifices and hardship under my belt for :(

deegs wrote: »

Is this true???
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2020/si/181/made/en/print

the wording seems to permit travelling from Northern Ireland.
    All this person appears to have evaded was the obligation to fill out the locator form truthfully.

• Advertisement

Looks like people on flights from the UK will now need PCR tests, although to me it sounds very much like door+horse+bolted. I also wonder what sort of markup people will need to pay for the certificate..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Looks like people on flights from the UK will now need PCR tests, although to me it sounds very much like door+horse+bolted. I also wonder what sort of markup people will need to pay for the certificate..

A test here in Ireland runs from €99 up, just replace €'s with £'s and its much the same. This will cause more people to divert via Belfast and NI into the Republic.

theguzman wrote: »
    A test here in Ireland runs from €99 up, just replace €'s with £'s and its much the same. This will cause more people to divert via Belfast and NI into the Republic.
    I'm just about prepared to fork out for a negative test, but they can forget about me actually sticking to the 14-day isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Proves why we need mandatory isolation facilities tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Hotels should be used at the entering guests cost to isolate for the 14 days.

This sh1tty lockdown will not work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

We’ve plenty of hotels and no prospect of tourism or business travel in the medium term. The space to handle a volume of compulsory quarantines exist.

Proves why we need mandatory isolation facilities tbh.
    Quite. My remark is about the frustration of myself having actually done the isolation twice already, and the whole point of requiring a test is because the system was a failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Puguchung

£175 for Fit to Fly test and certificate, in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Quite. My remark is about the frustration of myself having actually done the isolation twice already, and the whole point of requiring a test is because the system was a failure.

The whole point of having a test is to create an extra layer of difficulty/ expense for those wanting to travel. You could just stop flying over and back. Taking a PCR test doesn't mean you're immune to the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lillyfae wrote: »
    The whole point of having a test is to create an extra layer of difficulty/ expense for those wanting to travel. You could just stop flying over and back. Taking a PCR test doesn't mean you're immune to the virus.

Especially when they're testing it outside the perimeter of accuracy.

Cycle ran up to 42 or 45 and it should not be past 35 cycles.

The man that created it never intended it for this use as not only are they using it wrong but it will show up the common cold as a positive, as it's a relation to the covid 19 strain.

Advertisement