Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official Christmas FM thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,237 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

DvB wrote: »
    Its beginning to look a lot like little Christmas!!

I see what you did there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Anyone catch the first song??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭DvB

TRS30 wrote: »
    Anyone catch the first song??

Only turned it on there a few minutes ago to be welcomed by status quo!

I hope we get some classics early doors.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I didn't hear the first song, although I'm hoping it was We Need a Little Christmas. :)

Posy wrote: »
    I didn't hear the first song, although I'm hoping it was We Need a Little Christmas. :)

Perfect!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Ah, Christmas tree farm.... love it. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite Christmas songs over the last 2 years.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah, Christmas tree farm.... love it. Rapidly becoming one of my favourite Christmas songs over the last 2 years.

I caught that as well, it's a great song.. and has also given me an idea for a new thread haha.

Loving it this morning, there are two presenters on, having the chats it's just like the old days :pac:

I also signed up for the Christmas List on their site too :)

Loughc wrote: »

I also signed up for the Christmas List on their site too :)

Sweet. Glad you found it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The tunes are absolutely pumping out this morning! I guess they don't have to worry about repeating songs too much today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I like Garvan and Trish. Think they work well together and I also like their choice of music

• Advertisement

Heroditas wrote: »
    I like Garvan and Trish. Think they work well together and I also like their choice of music

I wont lie, by the time Christmas week came around I'd gotten a little weary of them on my drive in to work, but they're back on fire this morning, really enjoying them bouncing off one another.

.. and has also given me an idea for a new thread haha.

Teaser alert :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I have it on at the moment. It's "Gifting" Garvan Rigby and "Tinsel" Trish (Patricia) Lane co-presenting at the moment.

Garvan pointed out that today is Three Kings Day (Feast of the Epiphany on the religous calendar by the way!), Little Christmas, International Technology Day and Shortbread Day!

Here is the schedule for the day, with station principals in Bold:
    6 am - 8 am Gareth O’Connor
    8 am - 10 am Garvan Rigby & Trish Lane
    10 am - 12 pm Celine Weldon
    12 pm - 2 pm Keith Shanley
    2 pm - 4 pm Ann Marie Walsh
    4 pm - 6 pm Daragh O’Sullivan
    6 pm - 8 pm Adrienne O’Hora
    8 pm - 10 pm Kirsty Hughes
    10 pm - 12 am Walter Hegarty

Heroditas wrote: »

Same but I completely get what DVB said about it wearing thin every morning, that's the problem with a segment breakfast show it becomes very samey quickly, the break sounded like it suits them as they are in great form this morning.

Ah guys, how lovely is this, working away here at home with Christmas FM on the in background... normally I'd never entertain this in January but this is such a nice buzz.

Could be an emotional day...:o

I have it on at the moment. It's "Gifting" Garvan Rigby and "Tinsel" Trish (Patricia) Lane co-presenting at the moment.

Garvan pointed out that today is Three Kings Day (Feast of the Epiphany on the religous calendar by the way!), Little Christmas, International Technology Day and Shortbread Day!

Here is the schedule for the day, with station principals in Bold:
    6 am - 8 am Gareth O’Connor
    8 am - 10 am Garvan Rigby & Trish Lane
    10 am - 12 pm Celine Weldon
    12 pm - 2 pm Keith Shanley
    2 pm - 4 pm Ann Marie Walsh
    4 pm - 6 pm Daragh O’Sullivan
    6 pm - 8 pm Adrienne O’Hora
    8 pm - 10 pm Kirsty Hughes
    10 pm - 12 am Walter Hegarty

I love how the 3 ogs are in those slots, start, middle and end.

Now off to find some shortbreads...

Taking down the non light-able decorations with Christmas FM on in background. Kind of nice symmetry to the festive season.

Finally... FONY.

Taking down the non light-able decorations with Christmas FM on in background. Kind of nice symmetry to the festive season.

I was only thinking that today, Christmas starts and ends with ChristmasFM :)
    Finally... FONY.

It came on last night on my walk just as I was on the home stretch I had to extend my walk to make sure I got the whole song in. Just a stunning song, I never tire of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Same but I completely get what DVB said about it wearing thin every morning, that's the problem with a segment breakfast show it becomes very samey quickly, the break sounded like it suits them as they are in great form this morning.

Good point. I didn't get the chance to tire of them because I would only ever catch snippets in between threatening the kids with no Santa/death/unspeakable punishments if they didn't eat their breakfast and get ready for school.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Christmas FM being on this morning is giving me a huge boost I have to say!

miamee wrote: »
    Christmas FM being on this morning is giving me a huge boost I have to say!

Same! Powering through the work and can actually feel the stress levels coming down.

On a MS Teams meeting atm and was really enjoying the tunes up to that point, looking forward to this meeting wrapping up so I can get back to the serious business of listening to Christmas FM....

I tuned in just before 11:30. It was ten minutes before I actually heard the presenter Celine Weldon! She has a nice, gentle, pleasant style of presentation after the excitement of Garvan and Trish! I had seen her name on the Team but it's my first time actually hearing her presenting, apart, possibly, from traffic reports.

She introduced one of my perennial favourites too: Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rhea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Listened while getting breakfast for the kids this morning! Now heading up to the attic to finish test corrections with it blasting away. Loving it particularly with pending announcements

I tuned in just before 11:30. It was ten minutes before I actually heard the presenter Celine Weldon! She has a nice, gentle, pleasant style of presentation after the excitement of Garvan and Trish! I had seen her name on the Team but it's my first time actually hearing her presenting, apart, possibly, from traffic reports.

She introduced one of my perennial favourites too: Driving Home for Christmas by Chris Rhea!

Yes, she is different to the morning show alright. However variety is the spice of life and all that!

Yes, she is different to the morning show alright. However variety is the spice of life and all that!

Given the limited playlist (i.e. there'll be loads of repeated songs throughout the day) I think thats the beauty of Christmas FM, the presenters all bring something different and that seems to give people listening for long periods enough of a variety to not make it sound too repetitive.

One small bug bear of mine the the version of the theme song to Christmas Vacation they play, its not the Mavis Staples version used in the film and I wonder why they dont use the original, ever?

Assume its a copyright issue or something but I love the original & would love to hear it on the radio rather than just on my CHristmas playlists.

One small bug bear of mine the the version of the theme song to Christmas Vacation they play, its not the Mavis Staples version used in the film and I wonder why they dont use the original, ever?

Assume its a copyright issue or something but I love the original & would love to hear it on the radio rather than just on my CHristmas playlists.

Which reminds me...
    They keep playing the Bobby Helms version of Jingle Bell Rock, which is fine, but I would not mind hearing the version by Daryl Hall and John Oates.

• Advertisement

My lunctime walk was powered today by ChristmasFM first song on was Wham Last Christmas and last song I heard while walking home was Fairytale of New York. Perfect!

Advertisement