Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Speaking of Have I Got News For You. The episode where they absolutely roast Angus Deayton after the scandal about him taking cocaine and having sex with prostitutes broke out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,306 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The not too recent polar vortex in the U.S. a few years back was one sight to behold in amazement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

bonzodog2 wrote: »

Wow, punktastic clip, with a very young & naughty Sex Pistols taking centre stage, while the lovely Siouxsie Sioux stands behind ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Speaking of Have I Got News For You. The episode where they absolutely roast Angus Deayton after the scandal about him taking cocaine and having sex with prostitutes broke out.

Paul Merton a bit dickish there. Never found him funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

There's also posts about it on this thread which have disappeared.
    As I said you didn't see them killed, you saw them dragged from the car. They were still well and truly conscious for a while, incredible restraint shown by the crowd.

True but there's footage of them being dragged from the car and then of their dead bodies. It's fairly sickening. I don't have a strong position on the North and know there was a lot that had happened in the two weeks before this but for two very young men to be killed for naively wandering into the wrong place is very disturbing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Collie D wrote: »
    Dave Fanning not realising his mic was on while introducing a Boyzone video and saying Ronan had “more talent in his big nose than the rest of them put together”.

He then had them on as guests a week later.

This. It was amazing. I believe he also wore a T-shirt saying ‘I love Boyzone’ on the next show.

tobeme2020 wrote: »
    Tommy Cooper in the UK. I will never forget this. Everyone thought it was part of the show but in fact he dropped dead in front of millions on live TV. Gone in a few seconds and shows life can be taken in no time.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DHpZq3ul1ld4&ved=2ahUKEwjBs8WJ2vDtAhXpQhUIHcIzAz8QFjACegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3Fkfchl621AheD-L0TvsnJ

I didn’t see that live because, well, I was busy shítting my nappie but god, that footage is chilling.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    circa 1987 , Bud Dwyer ( treasurer of one of the states governments
    ) held a press conference following news of his involvement in some scandal

about a minute into it , he pulled out a gun and shot himself

So much blood. :eek:

Jack Black was being interviewed by Ryan Tubridy when he was his usual fun casual self promoting a pretty forgettable version of Gulliver and he started asking penetrating questions about Black's childhood. Black asked "Is this therapy?!" Tubridy looked mortified like he wanted the ground to open up and swallow him.
    Jaw dropping cringe inducing stuff!

Well, Tubridy practically tugs the lad off himself to people’s misfortune. It’s really odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Degag wrote: »
    Paul Merton a bit dickish there. Never found him funny.

Apparently, Paul and Angus had some kind of animosity which is why Paul was really laying into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

That time Michael Parkinson started acting all funny on a ghost documentary that BBC filmed live one Halloween night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

I'm old enough to remember the live broadcast on BBC 1 of the baby elephant crapping itself in the Blue Peter studio, and poor old Noaksie (RIP) stepping in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm old enough to remember the live broadcast on BBC 1 of the baby elephant crapping itself in the Blue Peter studio, and poor old Noaksie (RIP) stepping in it...

Before my time (just) but I have seen it more than once and it cracks me up every, single time. Very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭cml387

That time Michael Parkinson started acting all funny on a ghost documentary that BBC filmed live one Halloween night.

"Ghostwatch" is what you're after.

The best most recent live broadcast I remember was the Inside No. 9 Halowe'en special from 2018.

We all honestly though that something was wrong technically. A brilliant piece of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Apparently, Paul and Angus had some kind of animosity which is why Paul was really laying into him.

Paul and Ian both had an issue with how much Angus got paid. At that stage they were on 12k per episode and Angus was on 50k.

The SAS storming the Irianian embassy live on the BBC. They interupred the world snooker championships for it, screened it, then went back to the snooker at which point Ted Lowe calmly said, "... and now from one embassy to another..."

I know the point of the thread isn't to do with gaffs by sports commentators, but I for one will never forget Ger Canning's coverage of England v Argentina in 1998.

"... and Seman comes out all over Batistuta!"

It was almost like one of his mates bet him a tenner he couldn't shoe-horn that line into the game somewhere.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    True but there's footage of them being dragged from the car and then of their dead bodies. It's fairly sickening. I don't have a strong position on the North and know there was a lot that had happened in the two weeks before this but for two very young men to be killed for naively wandering into the wrong place is very disturbing.

They drove a car at high speed into the funeral cottage and then pulled a gun. "Naively wandering into the wrong place" makes it sound very different.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Sinead O'Connor ripping up.a photograph of Pope John Paul II on MTV in November 1992.

What were her words again? "fight the real enemy."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 124 ✭✭Treseemme.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Operation Desert Storm

Live on CNN

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Then it stood on his foot, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Ghostwatch. Must be about 25 years ago. Scared the life out of me!!

Erica Roe was a good one

Whole world was shocked to see her breasts

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Bad quality, but it's all I can find on Youtube. One of the most chilling interviews ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Probably not known by many here but 10 years ago a baseball fan in Texas died after falling out of the stands trying to catch a ball.

The commentators on live TV didn't realise how far he had fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Im a huge motorsport fan, and have witnessed loads of horrible incident live on TV. Sennas being the most infamous.
    But for me it had to be Marco Simoncellis crash in Malaysia, Rossi his best mate had unfortunate part to play in his death, which as a huge Rossi fan hurts

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The time Derek Davis
    weirdly, the one i remember also featured derek davis. competition on live at three for some significant prize, two women had gotten through through some means to be in the studio for a quiz that would decide the winner. came down to the final question, which i think was 'what is the capital of romania?'; and one of the women leaned on her buzzer and said 'budapest!' (while still on the buzzer).
    derek davis obviously didn't hear correctly, and said 'i'm sorry, did you say bucharest?' and she paused and said 'eh... yes. yes i did.' and was declared the winner.
    the look on the other contestant's face would have melted the icecaps.

Im a huge motorsport fan, and have witnessed loads of horrible incident live on TV. Sennas being the most infamous.
    But for me it had to be Marco Simoncellis crash in Malaysia, Rossi his best mate had unfortunate part to play in his death, which as a huge Rossi fan hurts

Ya

There's been so many between short circuit and road , hard to call it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

It was very funny when Preston from Big Brother walked out on Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Simon Amstel just kept ripping the pi55 out of him, then started reading from his wife’s, Chantelle from Big Brothers, autobiography. He threw a massive hissy fit and stormed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,720 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Treseemme. wrote: »
    Ya

There's been so many between short circuit and road , hard to call it

I dont mean to be padantic, but as far as I know, no road race crashes were ever Live

Advertisement