Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memories of mad stuff that happened on live TV.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Bowe vs Holyfield fight 1993, middle of the fight, it was about 4am over here and the next thing the ref stops the fight and down from the skies arrives James Miller. Absolutely surreal.

Also the melee after the Bowe vs. Golota fight from '96. I was glad I stayed up to watch that fight that night, but it was a shame it ended up in a disqualification for Golota for too many low blows as it was a really good fight up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Doolittle51

Surprised this didn't get more attention at the time. Pity I can't find a longer clip because Matt Cooper's reaction was quite funny too, he just had a 'did that just happen' look on his face. It featured on gogglebox too:

Haven't seen that lad on TV ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I used to have it but can't remember what tape it is on. My memory of it is here

Haha yeah. I think it was even worse than that!

"What is jousting?"

"I it A - mounted horseback...." etc

"Oh Id say its jousting"

"No, thats what Im asking you, what IS jousting"

...silence....

"2 seconds left...."

"Id still say jousting".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Joe Brolly spoke the truth, not on rte anymore.

The barrister broke out in him that day alright.

Seen a piece of an interview with him recently and he said himself that they as pundits were not allowed to speak their minds anymore, given a sheet of stats and supposed to comment and quote them.... He's right, a load of bo***cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Oops! wrote: »
    The barrister broke out in him that day alright.

Seen a piece of an interview with him recently and he said himself that they as pundits were not allowed to speak their minds anymore, given a sheet of stats and supposed to comment and quote them.... He's right, a load of bo***cks.

I dunno, Brolly takes a load of ****e as well. Last year's all Ireland was the final straw, really poor from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I dunno, Brolly takes a load of ****e as well. Last year's all Ireland was the final straw, really poor from him.

Being the sort of fella he is i'd say he knew that all too well the way things were going... and he was going out with a bang his way....

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭phily2002

Metallica were meant to play King Nothing at the MTV europe music awards. Got annoyed and played Last Caress and So What instead. They edited it out after the live show.

https://youtu.be/kggWc9dFs9E

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ger Roe wrote: »
    I actually felt sorry for Brook that night. At first he declined the offer to sing a song and was pressured in to it by Gay Byrne with Mrs Doyle enthusiasm (go on, go on, go on). It got so embarrassing for Brook that he reluctantly agreed to do something.

Gay Bryne should have showed more discretion at the time and I thought that the backlash against Brook was a bit unfair, considering the pressure he was put under on live TV.

He was the Secretary of State for NOrthern Ireland. If he can't take a bit of pressure from a light entertainment TV host, he shouldn't have been in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Noel Edmonds - Late Late Breakfast Show.

As previously mentioned, that was a stunt that went wrong in rehearsal (not aired), the day before a scheduled live Saturday evening transmission. The participant was to bungee jump out of an exploding box suspended 120 ft in the air, but the rope slipped off it's mount and he fell to his death.

As it happened, I had a friend working in BBC TV centre at the time and I was on the ferry and overnight train journey down to London that Friday - I was going to watch the programme in the studio, when it went out live.

This was back in the days long before mobile phones and I knew nothing about the accident, until I got to London and was told that the programme was cancelled. It was very eerie to go to the studio and see it all set up and lit for broadcast, knowing that someone involved had died hours earlier and the prog was not going ahead.

Edmonds was off air for two years after the incident.

Thanks for the correction. It's amazing how the memory can change events after alot of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Rebel93

cj maxx wrote: »
    Hillsborough was another one .
    What I've always remembered was when it finally cut to ads , one for for a Peugeot 406 ,I think, which featured the Berlin song 'Take my breath away '.

Something similar happened on TG4 a few years back. A woman was killed after her caravan was blown into the sea, it was on TG4 news. Right after the news ended an add was played by TG4 of a giant kicking a caravan into the sea

Remember them apologizing about it fairly soon after

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Rebel93 wrote: »
    Something similar happened on TG4 a few years back. A woman was killed after her caravan was blown into the sea, it was on TG4 news. Right after the news ended an add was played by TG4 of a giant kicking a caravan into the sea

Remember them apologizing about it fairly soon after

Two Gardaí were once killed on duty when their car struck a wall. There was a repeat of A Scare At Bedtime With Podge and Rodge which had a macabre plot about Gardaí being killed in a car crash after a prank went wrong..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I can still remember Things to Do in Denver was due to be aired on RTE2 on the day of the Columbine Shooting. They obviously rescheduled.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Mike Murphy used to do the sports news on TV back in the early 70's. He was off camera but didn't know his microphone was live. So just as the news caster was telling the main story of the day, I think it was a car load of policemen getting blown to bits in the north by the RA, he breaks into hysterical laughter which is broadcast. It was something fairly harmless like one of the crew told him a joke while he was still in the background waiting to do his bit, he himself did not hear the news as it was being read, it just sounds really bad.

Bulls**t he didn't hear it, Mike Murphy was a known IRA supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 14,695 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

That's good.
    This one's better.
    Mankind was insane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

phily2002 wrote: »
    Metallica were meant to play King Nothing at the MTV europe music awards. Got annoyed and played Last Caress and So What instead. They edited it out after the live show.

https://youtu.be/kggWc9dFs9E

Much better songs anyway. Say MTV were going nuts :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

He was the Secretary of State for NOrthern Ireland. If he can't take a bit of pressure from a light entertainment TV host, he shouldn't have been in the job.

But he was also on the show to win over people in the south and show a human face to British (Tory) rule in the north.

An apology should have sufficed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Michael Martin went on Ireland AM a few years ago and was thrown a curveball about a donation ending up in his wifes bank account. The video seems to be gone but he was really blindsided, the transcript is here from Broadsheet:
    Sinead Desmond: “You’re representing a new Fianna Fail, but then I was thinking about two things from your past. One of them being a – totally legitimate – donation by Owen O’Callaghan that found its way into your wife’s Dublin bank account. That seemed strange to me and had a sniff of the old Fianna Fail.

“And the second thing, in the Mahon Tribunal you were asked if you ever brought Owen O’Callaghan to meet Bertie Ahern and you said no that you would have remembered if such a thing happened. And then you were shown Mr Ahern’s ministerial diary which seemed to recollect a meeting between yourself, Bertie Ahern and Owen O’Callaghan but you said you couldn’t recall it. I’ll give you a chance to explain but both of those incidents smell of the old Fianna Fail that put ourselves in the position we find ourselves in.”

Michael Martin: “I think that’s very unfair because I gave a very comprehensive account to the Tribunal on this…You’ve picked out two things…I gave a very comprehensive account and documentary evidence to the effect in terms of that donation that the money was spent on the party’s electoral operation in that local election. We showed the receipts – we didn’t have the full receipts, but we showed the receipts also the money left very quickly in the month around the General Election itself so every political party got donations at that time and they didn’t have to declare them.

Sinead Desmond: “But it ended up in your wife’s bank account?”

Martin: “My wife and I worked together in terms of the politics at the time. There’s nothing strange about that. We both lived in Dublin for that period and so there was nothing in that. When I say I lived in Dublin I was up here during the week in the Dail. Mary worked in Dublin for that year so there’s nothing wrong with that at all and no one has ever suggested any impropriety or any wrongdoing in terms of that.”

Desmond: “Neither was I.”

Martin: “Yeah (laughs) but when it’s taken out like that in full isolation like that it creates an innuendo and it creates an issue when there was none and in fact all I was ever was asked and every TD was asked at the time was for a list of donations that they received from that gentleman (O’Callaghan).”

“And I gave them full comprehensive information with receipts which I even didn’t have to have at the time but I did and presented what I had at that time and there’s never been a suggestion by anyone that there anything wrong or any impropriety in relation to that”

Desmond: “What about the meeting mentioned in The Mahon Tribunal.”

Martin: “I never had a meeting with Bertie and Owen O’Callaghan.”

Desmond: “It’s all there recorded in his diary.”

Martin: “But it wasn’t you see even the tribunal itself didn’t seem to be going into (pause) I don’t want to be going into this because it’s based on the report (pause) didn’t seem to be too clear about it (pause, dry mouth) never any indication in advance that that was going to be raised (pause) I certainly didn’t…(trails off)”

An early one on British television - 1957

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

I remember Gay Byrne had an episode of the Late Late Show given over completely to comedians. A young Jason Byrne I think was on with hands on sticks and went up to the front row fooling with people. Anyway some respectable middle aged guy with glasses and a beard if I remember rightly got thick with him and grabbed the hands off him. Byrne started laughing and moved on. I think his "Those are fake hands!" line from Father Ted grew out of that incident. The poor man was obviously conscious he was on TV that Byrne was making a mickey out of him and he got upset. Very awkward on Monday at work after he probably told everyone to watch out for him on the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I remember Gay Byrne had an episode of the Late Late Show given over completely to comedians. A young Jason Byrne I think was on with hands on sticks and went up to the front row fooling with people. Anyway some respectable middle aged guy with glasses and a beard if I remember rightly got thick with him and grabbed the hands off him. Byrne started laughing and moved on. I think his "Those are fake hands!" line from Father Ted grew out of that incident. The poor man was obviously conscious he was on TV that Byrne was making a mickey out of him and he got upset. Very awkward on Monday at work after he probably told everyone to watch out for him on the telly.

I'd love to give Jason Byrne a puck, as funny as a hole in the head that lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Bosnian Croat general Slobodan Praljak drinks poison during a war crimes appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

May have been mentioned but some of the talk on the late late show about sex and contraception is mad, funny, but at the same time sad to look at...some of the lines they come out with are hilarious, the one about men being obsessed with other mens back passages was brilliant, however it is sad to see how indoctrinated, bitter and miserable people were, thankfully we have moved on but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The interview with Annie Murphy on the Late Late show; Not Gay's finest hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I remember this one on Vincent Brown a few years ago with Jack O'Connor. At the end, they played 'Hit the road Jack'

https://youtu.be/sHzbaLc__uY

There were others with Fionnan Sheehan. The time of a repossession of a mansion that someone called 'a normal two up, two down' and Vincent losing it. Another one, was some junior minister was on one night and Vincent cuts to break saying as 'X doesn't the slightest clue what he is talking about' Sorry I can't post clips - for some reason boards only letting me post links.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Landsowne Roads Riots in 1995. those English "fans" disgraced themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

May have been mentioned but some of the talk on the late late show about sex and contraception is mad, funny, but at the same time sad to look at...some of the lines they come out with are hilarious, the one about men being obsessed with other mens back passages was brilliant, however it is sad to see how indoctrinated, bitter and miserable people were, thankfully we have moved on but still...

Did one lad suggest fighting your urge to masturbate by "picturing yourself fighting off a battalion of black & tans" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,048 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The SAS storming the Irianian embassy live on the BBC. They interupred the world snooker championships for it, screened it, then went back to the snooker at which point Ted Lowe calmly said, "... and now from one embassy to another..."

Ireland's run to the quarter finals of the 1990 world cup.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Did one lad suggest fighting your urge to masturbate by "picturing yourself fighting off a battalion of black & tans" ?

No I think the advice was to repeat "maggie thatcher in a nightie, maggie thatcher in a nightie" over and over till the urge recedes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No I think the advice was to repeat "maggie thatcher in a nightie, maggie thatcher in a nightie" over and over till the urge recedes

Gillian Andersen playing Maggie in the Crown makes that a bit harder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Gillian Andersen playing Maggie in the Crown makes that a bit harder.

Just a bit?

Advertisement