Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Winter 2020 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gonzo wrote: »
    GFS fully rolled out, increasing support for milder weather towards the middle of the month, looks chilly up to the 10th of January and a milder trend after that. A few bitterly cold runs too but they are very much outliers.

Well into FI that to be fair. U.K. met office outlook has it remaining cold and wintry. Of course it could be right the GFS but still a long way to run until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lostweekend3

GFS fully rolled out, increasing support for milder weather towards the middle of the month, looks chilly up to the 10th of January and a milder trend after that. A few bitterly cold runs too but they are very much outliers.

Doesn’t mean the GFS is going to be right Gonzo. And it is far out in FI. Too many people jumping the gun when they see some mild runs. We have a lot going for us synoptically this winter. Uk Met office expecting a cold outlook, doesn’t mean they’ll be right either.
    Uncertainty springs to mind. Even if it does go mild mid January it may not be for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Runs have been good to very good again today. Blocking pattern is still on offer and the pivot point seems to be around 7th/8th January right now when we either get a Greenland high or a Greenland ridge depending on how much amplification there is supported by warm air advection. As a result, this will be crucial to get details on before going any further forward.

Last night's GFS 18z was best case scenario and very unlikely, it is more what I'd expect following a major SSW and not before it. It was somewhat unrealistic with how quickly that bitterly cold air came flooding south but not one to totally rule out as stranger things have happened. I did find it quite funny how the run still managed to end mild with heights rising suddenly over central Europe which I can tell you is flat out ridiculous with such a blocked pattern, even with a western based -NAO which is decreasing in likelihood.

If you're looking for beasterly easterlies or polar lows coming down from the north next week, then sorry but you will highly likely be disappointed. Have to build up the pattern before getting to that! Patience.

This blocked pattern will not be going away anytime soon, the high latitude blocking might compete with 2010 intensity and longevity. Yes, there I said it. Doesn't mean the same effects will be felt in western Europe but... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I agree with the above post. Lot of stuff in the mix in the models but the only consistent aspect is a tendency for blocking around iceland/,greenland. It's ebbing and waning but very consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

The lack of cold to the East is frustrating when you see such charts but the end of ECM wants to bring the REAL cold down from the North. Interesting couple of weeks ahead and we might get a few bites of the cherry yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Villain wrote: »
    The lack of cold to the East is frustrating when you see such charts but the end of ECM wants to bring the REAL cold down from the North. Interesting couple of weeks ahead and we might get a few bites of the cherry yet.
    the easterly on the GFS for the start of next week is marginal but possibly just about on the right side, hopefully the balance is tipped further in our favour as we approach the relevant time frame or else we could be looking at lake effect cold rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,644 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

This could be the GFS doing what it has always done in the past. However, there is also the nasty possibility that a SSW actually ends up flipping the pattern to something milder, but hopefully any milder period would be temporary before a reload courtesy of the SSW. We are very much still in the game for something noteworthy to happen. Indeed our good old friend mr polar low could pay us a visit sometime after the first week of January, if that extreme cold bottled up in the north manages to seep south over us. The latter stages of ECM tease such a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Now this is a bit more interesting with some sub -8 850's knocking around

gfs-0-150.png?18

Now this is a bit more interesting with some sub -8 850's knocking around
    frustrating for me since I live close to the sea, hopefully we get another slight upgrade but that's probably asking for too much! looking good for those further inland if the GFS is to be believed, we need the ECM on board ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm guessing the latest GFS won't go unremarked on. Pretty stunning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,517 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Last night's GFS 18z was best case scenario and very unlikely, it is more what I'd expect following a major SSW and not before it. It was somewhat unrealistic with how quickly that bitterly cold air came flooding south but not one to totally rule out as stranger things have happened. I did find it quite funny how the run still managed to end mild with heights rising suddenly over central Europe which I can tell you is flat out ridiculous with such a blocked pattern, even with a western based -NAO which is decreasing in likelihood.

If you're looking for beasterly easterlies or polar lows coming down from the north next week, then sorry but you will highly likely be disappointed. Have to build up the pattern before getting to that! Patience.

LOL! Then 18z comes in:

i63lPal.gif

Lost for words. My points mentioned in prior post stand.

EDIT: Indeed munsterlegend, don't be surprised to see a much less impressive GFS 0z ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Sure we all know we will wake up and 0z GFS will show something completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭YanSno

Absolutely stunning 18z for sure, it will of course chop and change but interesting January as predicted. I remember looking at the analogue in November for this winter which hinted a cold and snowy period around the 2nd week of January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

YanSno wrote: »
    Absolutely stunning 18z for sure, it will of course chop and change but interesting January as predicted. I remember looking at the analogue in November for this winter which hinted a cold and snowy period around the 2nd week of January.

Any pics of the 18z?

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Any pics of the 18z?

71EA6A00-757F-4AE0-9AB4-0B9587BA11E3.png.c83e9822d3b4f4414bd438d173d78c25.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Some of the models are showing a milder finish to the end of the runs but then there’s always a few that say no not yet still cold for now. The latest run is proof of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭eon1208

Kermit explain the 500 bar line meaning temp wise please..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Must.Remain.Calm.

537607.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Supercell wrote: »
    Must.Remain.Calm.

537607.jpg

Right for us dummies what does this mean? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

gerrybhoy wrote: »

For you dummies, cold air in an easterly type airflow

• Advertisement

gerrybhoy wrote: »

See that line down the east coast of the UK..its means hope.
    Isle of Man shadow, streamers...Kermit.de.Frog opening a new topic...

Maybe.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Billcarson wrote: »
    For you dummies, cold air in an easterly type airflow

Although this is a good chart for coldies, patience is needed because we need colder air to slip westwards to eastern Europe. It's not that cold a flow presently. But it could certainly evolve into one. That's what we're watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Supercell it could be your honour to open a new thread. :)

Supercell it could be your honour to open a new thread. :)

It's a bit early yet, potential is there but Humberto Salazar is right, proper cold not there yet..but it might eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Although this is a good chart for coldies, patience is needed because we need colder air to slip westwards to eastern Europe. It's not that cold a flow presently. But it could certainly evolve into one. That's what we're watching.

Yes,its no 'beast from the east' but a good chart all the same and something to work from going forward.....

Moscow daytime max temperatures dropping gradually over the the next week to well below freezing. Trend is good.

Some of the models are showing a milder finish to the end of the runs but then there’s always a few that say no not yet still cold for now. The latest run is proof of that.

If that is the GFS you are refering to, it could be a temporary milder interlude before another reload. Also, if there chart for the 13th of January could be banked some parts of Ireland could get a serious snow fall before any change.
    In any case if some of the chart depictions are realised some people could see a decent amount of snow before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Lads, in fairness, its a long long time since we've seen charts like this for early January. I'm just amazed with the lack of cold pool to our east for some serious low temps. Nevertheless, what is currently showing would result in snow showers on and off in the east for about a week. Time for me to get stocked up on feed for the animals...

If that is the GFS you are refering to, it could be a temporary milder interlude before another reload. Also, if there chart for the 13th of January could be banked some parts of Ireland could get a serious snow fall before any change.
    In any case if some of the chart depictions are realised some people could see a decent amount of snow before them.

Looking at GFS, the standout feature is the North Atlantic high. But it's a hindrance to opening the doors to potential colder weather from the north and east. It just sits there giving us a gentle east northeasterly, maybe a few flurries to the east up until the 6 or 7th Jan. Then there is a move with low pressure pushing southwards ,maybe opening Arctic doors again. But the milder push wins out, at least for Ireland. It's all a bit messy. I'm inclined, more than normal, to disregard anything past 144. With a SSW event imminent, I don't know how much of that is factored in. As the oldest forum cliche goes, get the cold entrenched and let the synoptics play out.

• Advertisement

Looking at GFS, the standout feature is the North Atlantic high. But it's a hindrance to opening the doors to potential colder weather from the north and east. It just sits there giving us a gentle east northeasterly, maybe a few flurries to the east up until the 6 or 7th Jan. Then there is a move with low pressure pushing southwards ,maybe opening Arctic doors again. But the milder push wins out, at least for Ireland. It's all a bit messy. I'm inclined, more than normal, to disregard anything past 144. With a SSW event imminent, I don't know how much of that is factored in. As the oldest forum cliche goes, get the cold entrenched and let the synoptics play out.

The GFS in the past was notorious for signalling breakdowns only to pull back from that scenario, but it could be right this time. We just have to hope that if it is correct, it's a temporary interruption before another cold incursion. There is also the possibility that a SSW flips a favourable troposphere profile to an unfavourable one, that is more likely with a displacement than a proper split. In any case if it is right all the way through some places before that happens could see a nice bit of snow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement