Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gemma not taking enforced retirement too well

Options

Comments

well 90% of them, yes. 'illegal immigrants'
    they didn't end up in DP by handing over a passport and overstaying a holiday visa.
    Illegally entering a country is a crime...

They are not entering illegally if they are claiming asylum.
    It's up to the system to decide if they entitled to stay or not.
    Perhaps you just don't understand...........

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

they didn't end up in DP by handing over a passport and overstaying a holiday visa.

they sought asylum which they are entitled to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

bubblypop wrote: »
    They are not entering illegally if they are claiming asylum.
    It's up to the system to decide if they entitled to stay or not.
    Perhaps you just don't understand...........

Yes... I don't understand why we need to house any migrants when we're going to turn away 90% of them and then they just fight and fight at our expense until the government gives up and lets them stay. We shouldn't need to burden rural Ireland with these people. A big fast processing centre that they can't leave , near the airport, 90 days in and out, deport most of them and heavily surveil the ones that stay for a decade.

Why aren't they coming in legally, they can afford plane tickets or ferry tickets, why aren't they registering legally with documents ? is it because we may turn them away....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. They didn't enter the country illegally.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

it was a more a tongue in cheek response to that users Helen Lovejoy style post. All three of those things are equally undesirable for the same reason, crime. Everyone knows that, but sure as per usual somebody who will never be within a mile of a DP centre pretends like its a positive to the community.

Weird, my parents live in a pretty affluent area which has had a direct provision center for about two decades. No crime issue brought about because of it and haven't heard about any complaints anyone who lived there.

I can also think of examples of people who went through direct provision who did more community work than plenty of Irish people. Eg I was volunteering with a group that was teaching elderly people. A fair proportion of the others teaching were in direct provision or had been previously.

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    You obviously don't know what you are talking about. They didn't enter the country illegally.

how do you know that, how did they board the plane, why do so many show up with no documentation.

Weird, my parents live in a pretty affluent area which has had a direct provision center for about two decades. No crime issue brought about because of it and haven't heard about any complaints anyone who lived there.

I can also think of examples of people who went through direct provision who did more community work than plenty of Irish people. Eg I was volunteering with a group that was teaching elderly people. A fair proportion of the others teaching were in direct provision or had been previously.

well one anecdote , thats completely thrown out my world view so. Boards.ie where anecdotes count as facts and actual facts are racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

how do you know that, how did they board the plane, why do so many show up with no documentation.

does that mean they are here illegally?

well one anecdote , thats completely thrown out my world view so. Boards.ie where anecdotes count as facts and actual facts are racist.

Cool, got any statistical proof that direct provision is responsible for a rise in crime? You made the original claim and said none of us would be happy to live near one. I'd happily do so but the place I'm thinking of is pretty expensive to buy in...

Your world view tends to be pretty dreadful btw...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Penfailed

They won't be able to get on a plane with no documents. How do you know that many show up without documentation?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

iAll three of those things are equally undesirable for the same reason, crime.
    Post up some evidence that a direct provision centre leads to greater crime in the surrounding area, equal to a halfway house for sex offenders or a methadone clinic.

There is no reason to believe that a centre for sex offenders caused any rise in crime either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,702 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Isn't most of the crime involving direct provision centres that places that get mentioned as becoming them get burned down?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,871 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

it was a more a tongue in cheek response to that users Helen Lovejoy style post. All three of those things are equally undesirable for the same reason, crime. Everyone knows that, but sure as per usual somebody who will never be within a mile of a DP centre pretends like its a positive to the community.

What? Im not aware of incresed crime stats near DP Centres. Really shoeing your true colours now.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What facts have you got to show that there is loads of crime caused by DP centres?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What facts have you got to show that there is loads of crime caused by DP centres?

Strangely enough, he's not posted any proof since numerous people called him out on his claim... He's posted multiple times in the thread though. Strange.

Non EU migrants have exponentially higher offending rates than native Irish people
    poor people have exponentially higher offending rates than the gainfully employed.
    Less than 2% of the migrants entering europe have even set foot in a university, education is a big problem. Lower education leads to more crime.

Just like the ingredients for fire are oxygen, fuel and heat, the ingredients for crime are often poverty, lack of education and whatever cultural attributes make non EU immigrants more crime prone, its the perfect formula for crime,

I don't have a CSO document to say it specifically happens but every metric we know about the causes of crime suggests it would increase crime.

Non EU migrants have exponentially higher offending rates than native Irish people
    poor people have exponentially higher offending rates than the gainfully employed.
    Less than 2% of the migrants entering europe have even set foot in a university, education is a big problem. Lower education leads to more crime.

Just like the ingredients for fire are oxygen, fuel and heat, the ingredients for crime are often poverty, lack of education and whatever cultural attributes make non EU immigrants more crime prone, its the perfect formula for crime,

I don't have a CSO document to say it specifically happens but every metric we know about the causes of crime suggests it would increase crime.
    So you don't have proof that the introduction of a DP center increases crime in an area...

So you don't have proof that the introduction of a DP center increases crime in an area...

I do have proof that non EU migrants increase crime...and what do DP centres house....

I do have proof that non EU migrants increase crime...and what do DP centres house....

That doesn't remotely guarantee that direct provision residents are more likely to commit crimes. By your logic anyone not from the EU are by default increasing the crime rate of an area(not specifically refugees btw). The risk of deportation to a country they're fleeing is more likely to put a person off committing crimes I'd suspect. The fact you could not produce a single link between increases in crime and direct provision means that your original claim is nonsense.

Btw, the only increase in crime I've seen are increases in arson from racists... But you seem to view that as half justified.

• Advertisement

That doesn't remotely guarantee that direct provision residents are more likely to commit crimes. By your logic anyone not from the EU are by default increasing the crime rate of an area(not specifically refugees btw). The risk of deportation to a country they're fleeing is more likely to put a person off committing crimes I'd suspect. The fact you could not produce a single link between increases in crime and direct provision means that your original claim is nonsense.

Btw, the only increase in crime I've seen are increases in arson from racists... But you seem to view that as half justified.

the statistical evidence shows that they do. Well not from America or Norway, but Africa, South America and arab countries/ some asian countries yes.

there is almost no risk of deportation and they well know it.

as above, its no deterrent and one you definitely have no proof for.

Heres just a handful of asylum seekers who spent time before a judge :
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/asylum-seeker-charged-with-trafficking-illegal-immigrant-39772778.html
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/bail-granted-to-asylum-seeker-1.165798?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fbail-granted-to-asylum-seeker-1.165798
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/woman-set-free-in-brothel-case-1.130162?mode=sample&auth-failed=1&pw-origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnews%2Fwoman-set-free-in-brothel-case-1.130162
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/115774/Asylum-seeker-charged-with-assaulting-Limerick.html
    https://www.mayonews.ie/news/29328-asylum-seeker-accused-of-rape-not-a-flight-risk

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Oh, really? What's the proof?

Do the guards know this?

I mean, do we need to have loads more guards stationed around the Gresham and the Shelbourne in March, when there are loads of non EU migrants around?

the statistical evidence shows that they do. Well not from America or Norway, but Africa, South America and arab countries/ some asian countries yes.

And you still haven't established that direct provision centers are responsible for crime in any area. It seems to be based on your Spidey sense more than anything which veers in particularly bigoted directions...

No, you actually dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Do we have a large Norwegian population?!

You keep throwing out these "You have no proof!" statements then claiming "I have proof" - yet never seem to offer any of it.

Do you know the % of successful and unsuccessful claims for asylum? The number of deportations made? The crime rates allegedly committed by people in DP? (Strange, you make no mention of the people in DP centres working in nursing homes, or volunteering with charities, or anything that benefits society... odd, that...)

Basically non existent waffle

Terry Pratchet

You do in your sh ite

Terry Pratchet

You do in your sh ite

https://eufactcheck.eu/factcheck/mostly-true-asylum-seekers-and-refugees-are-clearly-over-represented-in-both-sexual-assaults-and-aggression-offences/

https://www.irishprisons.ie/wp-content/uploads/documents_pdf/NATIONALITY-GROUP-Year-2007-to-Year-2019.pdf
    537420.jpeg

from : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    Ethnic groups
    Irish 82.2%, Irish travellers 0.7%, other white 9.5%, Asian 2.1%, black 1.4%, other 1.5%, unspecified 2.6% (2016 est.)[20]

so Africans are over representing more than 2x in prisons,
    Asians 1.5x more
    Irish people under representing by stats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

You do in your sh ite

Non-EU migrants are over represented in crime statistics (particularly of a sexual nature) whether you want to believe it or not. However, in specifically with regards to Ireland, whether this means that DP centres increase crime rates of the area they are in is debatable (I think it's unlikely).

• Advertisement

Firstly, this point seems relevant. Secondly, can you point to an increase in crimes as a result of direct provision centers? Cause last time I checked we're in Ireland rather than Germany. You're pushing a claim that you can't prove at all... Blind to your own hate tbh.
    The criminal statistics of the state Baden-Württemberg support Weidel’s claim. However, we rate this claim only as mostly true because it does not account for the fact that the vast majority of refugees and asylum seekers do not commit such crimes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement