Advertisement
Boards are fundraising to help the people of Ukraine via the Red Cross at this horrific time. Please donate and share if you can, you will find the link here. Many thanks.

An Post Mobile

1356714

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ briancannon18


    Anyone know if post mobile speeds are restricted, or are they max available in given location??


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ deezell


    Anyone know if post mobile speeds are restricted, or are they max available in given location??

    Without question they would be low priority in a contention situation. Someone with a pricey Vofafone plan is always going to get the lions share. Do a speed test at different times and places, you'll get both decent and poor results. I probably had better speed in urban areas with Eir, but I was screwed by my measly data allowance, while at home I barely had GSM for calls, and no data to speak of, 5 minutes to load a single email one day when d'internet in the house was down. Now I've got usable data if I need it, about 1Mb+ indoors, and can stream music in the car without 'Data Anxiety'.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭ TheDriver


    deezell wrote: »
    Without question they would be low priority in a contention situation. Someone with a pricey Vofafone plan is always going to get the lions share. Do a speed test at different times and places, you'll get both decent and poor results. I probably had better speed in urban areas with Eir, but I was screwed by my measly data allowance, while at home I barely had GSM for calls, and no data to speak of, 5 minutes to load a single email one day when d'internet in the house was down. Now I've got usable data if I need it, about 1Mb+ indoors, and can stream music in the car without 'Data Anxiety'.

    Same here. It is lower priority rather than throttled. You get a ping of about 60-70ms and speeds are lower than vodafone but still quite fast. I did get a few 120 down tests and even a 170 down but mostly its giving 10-20Mb. Odd times it gets to 1 but thats when vodafone is poor too.
    It's great being able to stream music in the car and I never miss a phone call now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭ jdon72


    An Post definitely aren't as fast as Vodafone and they tunnel their internet through other countries. When I use it on Netflix, it show "top shows in Malta" or "top movies in netherlands". Also shows other countries on speed tests


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    jdon72 wrote: »
    An Post definitely aren't as fast as Vodafone and they tunnel their internet through other countries. When I use it on Netflix, it show "top shows in Malta" or "top movies in netherlands". Also shows other countries on speed tests

    Really?? Would be interested to see what https://ipinfo.io/ shows you in these cases.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ deezell


    fbradyirl wrote: »
    Really?? Would be interested to see what https://ipinfo.io/ shows you in these cases.

    Almost nothing

    ip: "10.179.243.146"
    bogon: true

    This is because the ip address assigned to your phone is private within the connection to the LTE or 4G box or router. It's not giving out any info. That ip is a Class A ip network, there are only 127 of them, so it's not unique to post mobile, its repeated internallly in millions of private nets and sub nets.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭ TheDriver


    fbradyirl wrote: »
    Really?? Would be interested to see what https://ipinfo.io/ shows you in these cases.

    I get a lot of into. Aspidersol NL ntwk


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    deezell wrote: »
    Almost nothing

    ip: "10.179.243.146"
    bogon: true

    This is because the ip address assigned to your phone is private within the connection to the LTE or 4G box or router. It's not giving out any info. That ip is a Class A ip network, there are only 127 of them, so it's not unique to post mobile, its repeated internallly in millions of private nets and sub nets.

    Ah ok. It is a "Carrier Grade NAT" then. Three also do this on some of their APNs. Works fine for a phone but not great for a router doing port forwarding ingress.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    With Three, you can simply change the APN used to get a proper "public" IP. I wonder can this be done on Postmobile. E.g try setting a Vodafone APN.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ deezell


    fbradyirl wrote: »
    Ah ok. It is a "Carrier Grade NAT" then. Three also do this on some of their APNs. Works fine for a phone but not great for a router doing port forwarding ingress.

    Just tried it there to my Linux box stream, whose web interface is port forwarded to my fixed Wan ip address. No problem as expected, other than the data rate on the edge of the vodafone LTE where I live, but its not an issue when at home once I have landline Wi-Fi. Anything over 1.5Mb/s is generally good enough to watch home TV from abroad, whenever that's likely to happen again. During summer lockdown I'd watch the Curragh racing over the fence from the road, with a live video stream also from PaddyPower, and a €5 each way. Didn't take long to chew up measly eir data allowance, but fun nonetheless.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    deezell wrote: »
    Just tried it there to my Linux box stream, whose web interface is port forwarded to my fixed Wan ip address. No problem as expected, other than the data rate on the edge of the vodafone LTE where I live, but its not an issue when at home once I have landline Wi-Fi. Anything over 1.5Mb/s is generally good enough to watch home TV from abroad, whenever that's likely to happen again. During summer lockdown I'd watch the Curragh racing over the fence from the road, with a live video stream also from PaddyPower, and a €5 each way. Didn't take long to chew up measly eir data allowance, but fun nonetheless.

    Cool that it works. I also do the same frequently. Watching the Enigma2 box.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    Ok just picked up the sim from the PO and the guy submitted the port right away. I am on 48 which he hadn't on his system, so I just said they were using the Three network, so he selected Three. Fingers crossed it will port.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭ Ten Pin


    ....48 which he hadn't on his system, so I just said they were using the Three network, so he selected Three. Fingers crossed it will port.

    Did you get a verification code?

    Three might not work as it's separate to 48 even though Three own 48. MNCs are different but maybe they can put it through manually.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ briancannon18


    Ten Pin wrote: »
    Did you get a verification code?

    Three might not work as it's separate to 48 even though Three own 48. MNCs are different but maybe they can put it through manually.

    Maybe better saying tesco as same mnc🀔


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    So I called up customer service this morning and yes, the girl said the PO should not have selected Three in the system. They said it needs to be put through as a port from Tesco. She did that and 20 minutes later it was ported over.

    I installed the settings as recommended here:

    https://www.anpost.com/Mobile/Phone-settings

    but the network still shows Vodafone IE on my iPhone. Not a problem but I would have thought it would show Postmobile by now.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    Ten Pin wrote: »
    Did you get a verification code?

    The funny thing is that at no point in this process did I need to enter an SMS verification code. This is very strange because I could easily take anybody else's number and switch it to my new SIM. Seems very insecure...


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭ TheDriver


    fbradyirl wrote: »
    The funny thing is that at no point in this process did I need to enter an SMS verification code. This is very strange because I could easily take anybody else's number and switch it to my new SIM. Seems very insecure...

    They rang my phone number to prove it was mine


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    Still showing Vodafone but that doesn’t bother me.

    Did some speed tests around Galway and seeing great speeds. Some places 20-40Megs download and one place I got 120Megs down. Really good.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭ TheDriver


    fbradyirl wrote: »
    Still showing Vodafone but that doesn’t bother me.

    Did some speed tests around Galway and seeing great speeds. Some places 20-40Megs download and one place I got 120Megs down. Really good.
    It's solid. Look over in 48 or gomo threads and you get tales of fast and takes of very slow speeds. PM gives a good consistent product.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    TheDriver wrote: »
    It's solid. Look over in 48 or gomo threads and you get tales of fast and takes of very slow speeds. PM gives a good consistent product.

    Agreed. I have just come from 48, and Gomo before that. Before that again I was with Vodafone but it was more expensive and a tiny 5GB data limit. In my home, it is the only network which actually gives me signal so I’ll be sticking with Post Mobile I think.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    Does anyone know if tethering is possible. Also, I presume Wifi Calling is not an option?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ deezell


    fbradyirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if tethering is possible. Also, I presume Wifi Calling is not an option?
    Tethering not a problem.
    If you have a phone model on the list here, and if Vodafone include PM customers on their VOIP service, then you can use WiFi calling. https://n.vodafone.ie/network/wi-fi-calling.html

    Wi-Fi calling is a handset feature, which may need a vendor adjusted version of your operating system. E.g, my S7 does not have it installed as the phone was a sim free import. Eir stated that I needed to send the phone to a firm in Sandyford, pay a fee, about €60 and wait 3-4 days until it was installed on the eir specific version of Android pie or whatever. I couldn't be arsed, so I don't have the menu item in settings. Even if I had, I note my model phone is not on the Vodafone list anyway. The service may not be available to MVNO operators using the vodafone network, as it's an IP telephony service, not a broadcast service from a mast. If it's available to postmobile users, I'm assuming that it should work on the listed phones once you actually have the menu item in your settings? Try turning it on, see what happens.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    deezell wrote: »
    Tethering not a problem.
    If you have a phone model on the list here, and if Vodafone include PM customers on their VOIP service, then you can use WiFi calling. https://n.vodafone.ie/network/wi-fi-calling.html

    Wi-Fi calling is a handset feature, which may need a vendor adjusted version of your operating system. E.g, my S7 does not have it installed as the phone was a sim free import. Eir stated that I needed to send the phone to a firm in Sandyford, pay a fee, about €60 and wait 3-4 days until it was installed on the eir specific version of Android pie or whatever. I couldn't be arsed, so I don't have the menu item in settings. Even if I had, I note my model phone is not on the Vodafone list anyway. The service may not be available to MVNO operators using the vodafone network, as it's an IP telephony service, not a broadcast service from a mast. If it's available to postmobile users, I'm assuming that it should work on the listed phones once you actually have the menu item in your settings? Try turning it on, see what happens.

    Thanks. I’ve an iPhone 11 Pro. It’s in the menu so will try it out.

    When I try tethering it says I need to call Vodafone IE to get it enabled.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ deezell


    fbradyirl wrote: »
    Thanks. I’ve an iPhone 11 Pro. It’s in the menu so will try it out.

    When I try tethering it says I need to call Vodafone IE to get it enabled.

    I know nothing about the Apple world. I find that strange that a phone can forbid tethering, unless it's hardware grants privilege to the mobile network vendor for control over the phone data. I can see this happening perhaps with an unlimited 4g data plan, very easy to just tether to a switch and supply an entire business say with Wi-Fi.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ fbradyirl


    deezell wrote: »
    I know nothing about the Apple world. I find that strange that a phone can forbid tethering, unless it's hardware grants privilege to the mobile network vendor for control over the phone data. I can see this happening perhaps with an unlimited 4g data plan, very easy to just tether to a switch and supply an entire business say with Wi-Fi.

    I don’t think the phone is the problem. I think it is the sim. I’ve used tethering loads of times with this phone on other networks.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭ Ten Pin


    I don’t think the phone is the problem. I think it is the sim. I’ve used tethering loads of times with this phone on other networks.

    It's PM's IPhone APN settings, others have reported that hotspot is restricted, whether that's accidental or deliberate on PM's part is the question.

    If you can't edit the hotspot section of Mobile Data settings menu, then ask PM to fix it as they aren't allowed to limit tethering.

    The only reason Vodafone is mentioned is because IPhone is reading the MNC which is same for PM and VF.


  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭ TheDriver


    tethering works perfectly on my android.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ deezell


    TheDriver wrote: »
    tethering works perfectly on my android.

    Just tried it there. Hotspot opened, laptop connected no problem, but no internet access via the phone data. Might be some setting in the phone. Wasn't a problem before, i hotspotted other mobiles off this phone.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭ Ten Pin


    Just tried it there. Hotspot opened, laptop connected no problem, but no internet access via the phone data. Might be some setting in the phone. Wasn't a problem before, i hotspotted other mobiles off this phone.

    Can you clarify which has/hasn't got data while using hotspot....

    Phone or laptop or both?

    Can you edit APNs?

    Try to delete all entries in 'APN TYPE' line and Save

    Or else leave as DEFAULT

    Or else add DUN (try upper and lower case) to APN TYPE line, separate each word by a comma...

    DEFAULT,DUN

    ...use whatever case works.

    If still not working, it needs ADB commands to try to fix it.

    What version of Android? Does USB and/or Bluetooth tethering work?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭ deezell


    Adding 'dun' to APN type list done the trick, It only had default and supl, as per the PM website instructions for manual install of access points. I have two identical Access points both named postmobile which I probably created myself in the early stages while waiting for porting. I also have a Vodafone MISP one, nearly identical except with a different APN address, a username and password, and 'dun' as the APN type. I can select it, and exit the dialogue but it goes back to the second on the list, 'postmobile', which is the one I've edited. Any point in deleting the postmobile ones and seeing will it work with this vodafone one?


Advertisement