Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Piehead

Murt10 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you give them an €80 restaurant voucher, especially as you say this wasn't the first time. Are you trying to shame them? Can you not take a hint?

For one reason or another, they're making a conscious decision not to spend big on Christmas presents for adult relatives, or from putting the time and effort into choosing them either.

Then again, maybe you're right and they are really tight fisted. If so, why reward them for their meanness.

Plus you're making all sorts of assumptions about their finances. They may be in relatively well paid jobs, but you have no idea of their true financial commitments or situation.

IMO a E10 bottle of wine deserves a E10 bottle of wine in return. Nobody gets hurt, embarrassed, or as you do, feels hard done by.

Agree 100%. Bang of silly billy of that lad if it’s not the first time it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I'd say some people surely have some stingers xmas stories from today to entertain the rest of us :)

I posted a few years ago here or on a previous thread about an in law who gave me a bottle of bargain basement aftershave for xmas even though I have a bushy beard.

Well she redeemed herself today. I got the Johnny Cash and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra CD and a scratchcard. I was going to buy the CD anyway and the scratchcard yielded a hundred quid.

Cha ching

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

sligojoek wrote: »
    I posted a few years ago here or on a previous thread about an in law who gave me a bottle of bargain basement aftershave for xmas even though I have a bushy beard.

Well she redeemed herself today. I got the Johnny Cash and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra CD and a scratchcard. I was going to buy the CD anyway and the scratchcard yielded a hundred quid.

Cha ching

Make sure to thank her for the scratch card that you won the €100 on, that will eat her up inside for weeks thinking why she didn't scratch it herself.

theguzman wrote: »
    Make sure to thank her for the scratch card that you won the €100 on, that will eat her up inside for weeks thinking why she didn't scratch it herself.

I did a dance around the kitchen and blew kisses at her.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

sligojoek wrote: »

Cha ching

Pla heeeese tell her you've given it to charity.
    Or bought a hape of bird food.
    Or paid for people's petrol or shopping.

Gall the woman no end!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

She will probably demand half of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Am I stingy?

No, but it’s none of your business what your sister spends her money on and your post here is absolutely pathetic.

Obviously I don’t care what you spend your money on either but you not spending money on Penney’s shoes doesn’t make you better than her

• Registered Users Posts: 20,033 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Am I stingy?

Stingy probably isn’t the right word. You’ve invented your own gift giving system where you will only help people with things they need, such as cash to pay off bills.

I think there’s a great chance that these people you mentioned will say they don’t want help with those bills and I’d say you’d probably be happy that you offered and they declined so you’re off the hook.

How much would you pay towards the bills? What’s the convention for paying off other people’s bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Buying somebody a present that was reduced in a sale and peeling off the label with the lower price, leaving the full price label on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Buying somebody a present that was reduced in a sale and peeling off the label with the lower price, leaving the full price label on it.

My GF's uncle runs a bar, and his wife is known for her stinginess and generally erratic behaviour.

She showed up to the GF's house on Christmas Eve with a "present"- four coffee cups from the pub that were bought for very cheap, that the husband was basically off-loading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

My GF's uncle runs a bar, and his wife is known for her stinginess and generally erratic behaviour.

She showed up to the GF's house on Christmas Eve with a "present"- four coffee cups from the pub that were bought for very cheap, that the husband was basically off-loading.

I remember working as a lounge boy in a pub when I was a kid. I came in one day to get paid and saw the manager filling up Top brand vodka bottles with cheap vodka. The **** that goes on in pubs is outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Speaking of scratch cards, we do a secret santa type thing at Christmas among the extended family we're close to, so a few different sets of aunts and uncles and cousins. The top budget is 50 euro but there's no real expectation to spend that much, it's just a guide really and gag gifts or something jokey is definitely encouraged.

One of my cousins who is generally known to be a bit of a gowl (let's call her M) got my mam, and got her a 5 euro scratch card which she had her own mam (my maternal aunt) drop down to the house last week with strict instructions that if she won a fiver she could keep it, but anything more than that would have to go back to M :pac: My aunt was mortified even saying it and of course told mam if she won anything to keep it to herself, but sadly it wasn't a winning scratch card anyway. Not that it stopped M messaging my mam on Facebook and then ringing my sister to find out if anything had been won/if my mam was lying when she said there were no prizes on it :rolleyes: Important to note that she never talks to me ever because she owes me close to 500 euro from before I copped on not to be lending her money!! Her son is making his communion in 2022 though so no doubt she'll be down around me then...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭pgj2015

voldejoie wrote: »
    Speaking of scratch cards, we do a secret santa type thing at Christmas among the extended family we're close to, so a few different sets of aunts and uncles and cousins. The top budget is 50 euro but there's no real expectation to spend that much, it's just a guide really and gag gifts or something jokey is definitely encouraged.

One of my cousins who is generally known to be a bit of a gowl (let's call her M) got my mam, and got her a 5 euro scratch card which she had her own mam (my maternal aunt) drop down to the house last week with strict instructions that if she won a fiver she could keep it, but anything more than that would have to go back to M :pac: My aunt was mortified even saying it and of course told mam if she won anything to keep it to herself, but sadly it wasn't a winning scratch card anyway. Not that it stopped M messaging my mam on Facebook and then ringing my sister to find out if anything had been won/if my mam was lying when she said there were no prizes on it :rolleyes: Important to note that she never talks to me ever because she owes me close to 500 euro from before I copped on not to be lending her money!! Her son is making his communion in 2022 though so no doubt she'll be down around me then...

Buy him some cheap rosary beads or just a card with nothing in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I remember working as a lounge boy in a pub when I was a kid. I came in one day to get paid and saw the manager filling up Top brand vodka bottles with cheap vodka. The **** that goes on in pubs is outrageous.
    Knew a bar man who told me much the same. The owner would serve you genuine spirits till you had 2 or 3 in you then pull from another bottle of cheap crap, assuming you couldn't tell the difference after a few. With vodka and bacardi were you have mixers it was especially easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

using electric toaster (despite cost) rather than buy new lighter to light up ciggy.
    i figure alot have done it for a while -- lol

• Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

And I didn't buy my elderly parents a present and used the pandemic as an excuse.

cj maxx wrote: »
    Knew a bar man who told me much the same. The owner would serve you genuine spirits till you had 2 or 3 in you then pull from another bottle of cheap crap, assuming you couldn't tell the difference after a few. With vodka and bacardi were you have mixers it was especially easy.

That's going on since time began.

There was a story going around Nenagh years ago, maybe urban legend, But I knew the man and wouldn't be surprised.

One day a lad came into the pub and asked for a large Powers from the owner's daughter. She was about 14 and just standing in while the father went out for something.

Daughter: Would you like red lemonade or Ginger ale?

Customer: No thanks. I'll just put a drop of water into it.

Daughter: Ah there's no need. Daddy put the water in this morning before he opened.

Another publican I worked for had a saying regarding the pewter measures.

"Never empty it, never fill it and NEVER spill it."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I worked in a well known hotel in the Midlands in the late 80's during the summer and at weekends. One of the jobs was to go to the supermarket and buy about 10-12 bottles of spirits every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A mix of whiskey, gin, vodka etc. Paid cash, receipt thrown away. Owners would sell them and remove them from till receipts so no tax due on them. Shafted revenue and in their own way, us.

A very wealthy family then and now. Supposedly lost loads in the boom as they had huge investments in property. A couple of years later they were back up and running. They had a load of money 'invested' abroad. They have loads of contacts so I doubt revenue will ever go after them properly. Even if they did they'd never trace all of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Clue Lady

I was in Tesco last week. A neighbour ahead of me was holding up the queue at the customer service checkout. I couldn’t figure out what was going on ... she bought 20 scratch cards and proceeded to get the checkout girl to scan them immediately after purchasing them. Of course, most of them were “not a winner” and the checkout girl asked my neighbour whether she wanted her to bin the losing scratch cards. My neighbour said no and put them into her handbag. I thought it was a bit strange but the checkout girl said this was a regular occurrence ... my neighbour does the weekly lotto run for her neighbours and gives the losing unscratched tickets to them. She pockets the winning tickets for herself. How stingy is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Clue Lady wrote: »
    I was in Tesco last week. A neighbour ahead of me was holding up the queue at the customer service checkout. I couldn’t figure out what was going on ... she bought 20 scratch cards and proceeded to get the checkout girl to scan them immediately after purchasing them. Of course, most of them were “not a winner” and the checkout girl asked my neighbour whether she wanted her to bin the losing scratch cards. My neighbour said no and put them into her handbag. I thought it was a bit strange but the checkout girl said this was a regular occurrence ... my neighbour does the weekly lotto run for her neighbours and gives the losing unscratched tickets to them. She pockets the winning tickets for herself. How stingy is that?

im actually impressed with that level of stinge. its a stroke of genius as well. obviusly wrong and mean but bloody smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

im actually impressed with that level of stinge. its a stroke of genius as well. obviusly wrong and mean but bloody smart.
    But you have to scratch the card to reveal the code you scan to see if its a winner, the barcode on the back doesnt do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Thargor wrote: »
    But you have to scratch the card to reveal the code you scan to see if its a winner, the barcode on the back doesnt do it.

that makes way more sense.
    i was thinking that a lot of scrupules shop staff could scan them and seel only the good ones to their crownies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

This is just not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Thargor wrote: »

There's a small code on the front that has to be scratched, is it called a QR code I think, tells if it's a winner. The main panel where you eg match three and win, is just for the fun of 'playing' the game.

Those dirty tricks go on in lots of bars.
    I read a book years ago about some world famous, expensive old hotel in London. Written anonymously by an ex-employee about all the stunts they pulled.
    One trick was to keep a small dish of each spirit under the bar. If a punter was well away and on g and t's for eg, he would dip the glass in the gin and then fill it with tonic. The tipsy punter would taste the gin on the lip of the glass and not suspect anything.
    Then the barman could either trouser the money for those drinks or keep a tally of how many he had sold. When he had sold a bottle worth of 'gin', he could go to the storeroom and swipe a full bottle which wouldn't be missed in the stocktake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Those dirty tricks go on in lots of bars.
    I read a book years ago about some world famous, expensive old hotel in London. Written anonymously by an ex-employee about all the stunts they pulled.
    One trick was to keep a small dish of each spirit under the bar. If a punter was well away and on g and t's for eg, he would dip the glass in the gin and then fill it with tonic. The tipsy punter would taste the gin on the lip of the glass and not suspect anything.
    Then the barman could either trouser the money for those drinks or keep a tally of how many he had sold. When he had sold a bottle worth of 'gin', he could go to the storeroom and swipe a full bottle which wouldn't be missed in the stocktake.

And then it theres’s the inverse logic of this. Bring in your own gin and tonic and pocket the takings from the sales of said gin and tonic. Don’t ring it into the till. The stock is as is. You’ve just sold from your own stash. There’s about 28 gins to a litre bottle of gin in Ireland. Let’s just say a bottle of gin costs €28 and a tonic costs €1. So that’s €2 per gin and tonic. If you’re selling it for €7, that’s €5 in your sky rocket per drink. €140 a bottle.

I saw this being done in the U.S. but with kegs of beer. The guy was literally bringing his own leg. He was also paying somebody to cover a couple of hours of his shift so that he could Uber/limo drive!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You've jumped to some conclusion about your neighbour, there.
    People ask for scanned scratch card and loto tickets back because they are afraid that the server might say a card/ticket has nothing on it when it actually has and rather than bin it, they pocket it.

Your version makes no sense whatsoever.

And then it theres’s the inverse logic of this. Bring in your own gin and tonic and pocket the takings from the sales of said gin and tonic. Don’t ring it into the till. The stock is as is. You’ve just sold from your own stash. There’s about 28 gins to a litre bottle of gin in Ireland. Let’s just say a bottle of gin costs €28 and a tonic costs €1. So that’s €2 per gin and tonic. If you’re selling it for €7, that’s €5 in your sky rocket per drink. €140 a bottle.

I saw this being done in the U.S. but with kegs of beer. The guy was literally bringing his own leg. He was also paying somebody to cover a couple of hours of his shift so that he could Uber/limo drive!
    Very clever yes. The owner might start to wonder why the sales of gin are way down every night that Timmy is working though.
    A lot of people have been caught out by the boss having secret cameras installed in the bar and over the till.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Happened years ago in a club I was a member of... a barman was putting cheap Vodka into the Smirnoff bottle, and was eventually caught with a hidden camera.....

I don’t know what his endgame was though? Was he keeping the money and claiming no vodka was sold? Or was he simply stealing the Smirnoff and replacing it with cheaper vodka?

Advertisement