Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest things thread(op for R&R access)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Panic Stations

A friend of mine hates parting with his money. Literally will question every purchase he makes. We used to always go to the pub every Wednesday during our college days and end up getting chipper after and we'd end up getting a taxi home. Often he'd leave the pub with a 5er left in his wallet but would spend the 5er on a bag of chips rather than pitching in for the taxi and would always say "could one of you cover my taxi and I'll get you back next time".

Another ex friend of mine used to ask me to go to the pub quiz with him. (Winners of the pub quiz got a free round of drinks) He'd ask me to go to the pub with him but then proceed to tell me that he currently has no money and will be drinking water for the night and that we have to win the quiz so he can get a pint.

A few months later he decided to quit smoking. What he actually meant was that he decided to quit buying smokes and instead bum them off the rest of our mates.

Anecdotal story here, was passed on to me the other day, I didn't personally witness any of this but it made me think about this thread. So....

Apparently during the week there was a couple of young lads out busking in Glasgow. Public square, shoppers with their kids, office workers with a lunchtime sandwich, that sort of thing. This Rabb C Nesbitt type comes along with his bag of Tennent's Super or whatever. In fairness to him he drops a couple of coins in the box first and says "I love John Lennon, do you guys know any songs?". They say we don't really know how to play much of his stuff. So the afternoon drinker then says "well, what about Johnny Cash?". Quick chat between the lads and they say yeah, we could manage a bit of that for you.

Your man sits down with his cans, the band plays Ring Of Fire, then he wanders off with the tune in his head. Except an hour later he comes back. He might have sobered up a bit, he might have had more to drink, I don't know, but his mood has changed and he's had time to think it over. He tries to take the spare coins back out of the buskers guitar case. He says he changed his mind. His first choice was John Lennon, he didn't get it, so he should never have dropped the coins if he was only settling for Johnny Cash.

He demanded a refund off a friggin' street busker!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

galway_lad wrote: »
    At my wedding, a stingey uncle of mine gave us a present of a scratch card! I know you shouldn't expect gifts but c'mon, how could you do that without any shame. When I saw him after he made a big deal of asking if I won anything, probably looking for a share!

Should've told him you won a couple of grand, thanks very much, then totally avoided any hints he dropped.
    Would have been worth it to see his nose right out of joint like that.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 38,939 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

On homes under the hammer some bloke bought a house and then found out the previous owner had stripped out the sockets, light fittings and switches and took out all the radiators!

Ahem... it might be as simple as an overly keen lad.
    One move my family made, when I was about 12 or so, I went around undoing light fittings and even took the cooker terminal off the kitchen wall. They all went in a packing case for the removal men.
    After we arrived at the new house my Da was taken aback to find all these electrical fittings in this box. Feck knows what the new house owners thought of us.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I worked in Kuwait about 10 years ago. Company was very good to us, amazing apartment with a pool provided free of charge, we ate for free while at work - all you can eat, huge variety of food. We had free laundry service. Six figure salary which was tax free. Loads of other small freebies, like phone and expenses.

We were given nice cars, American yokes, equivalent to a BMW 5 series - again all completely free.

We had to drive a fair bit to the office, about an hour or so each way.

One of the lads was always bitching that he had to pay for his own fuel. This was in Kuwait remember, where a full tank of premium fuel was about €5. For some reason fuel was the one thing we could not expense.

I remember the manager was telling me about it. The lad was always complaining to him. He would not let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    Should've told him you won a couple of grand, thanks very much, then totally avoided any hints he dropped.
    Would have been worth it to see his nose right out of joint like that.
    Tell the old git that you won big time on his card and gave it all to charity :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 galway_lad

Does the concept of "getting your money's worth" or "taking it because it's free" come from stingieness?

I had a "friend" in college who I'd often go to Subway with. At the time it was relatively new in Ireland and the concept of free refills was a novelty. Everytime we were leaving, he'd go over and fill his drink to the brim and once outside the place would throw it in the rubbish. Always defended it as "getting his money's worth". Was funny at the time but now I wonder.

I know a lad at work who in McDonalds etc will ask for all the free sauce sachets he can get, so he "has a choice" and most of them end up in the bin. Said lad was astounded I didn't use every last penny in an allocation we got to do up our WFH spaces.

I set my FIL up for email credit card bills but he asked to keep the mail option as well. That bill goes straight in the bin and he does it because he hates big finance and wants them to incur the max cost.

Worked with a lad years ago who would stuff his face at work meals. Fair enough. But he was always trying to get fit and lose weight, but would insist on starters, mains, desserts, whatever as "it was coming to him".

Anyone know people like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Yes, I have a family member like this.

They have a littlewoods account. They maxed it out pretty quickly, and spent ages paying it off at the crazy interest rate they charge.

When they finally paid off the account, rather than close it, they overpaid by €1 so that it would be in credit.

Now littlewoods has to send them a statement every month and pay €1 for the postage.

They think that this is somehow them getting money back out of littlewoods, or getting one over on them. I have tried to explain the reality of the situation, but it is lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Strumms wrote: »
    I think with stingy people it’s not just money, it’s their general toxicity... it’s time, it’s effort... everything they demand and take from others with never an inclination to ever pay back or reciprocate....

Just quoting to highlight this excellent post. There’s a world away from people who want value for money or want to save a few Bob when they can and stinginess

It’s an attitude thing. It’s entitlement, meanness, and as above general toxicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Dodge wrote: »
    Just quoting to highlight this excellent post. There’s a world away from people who want value for money or want to save a few Bob when they can and stinginess

It’s an attitude thing. It’s entitlement, meanness, and as above general toxicity.
    There’s a mate of mine who would go out of his way to save a few bob, but he is even more careful with other people’s money than his own. He lives in England and knows all the ways to get cheap train tickets (split-ticketing and off-peak travel) cheap hotels for £30 so he can go to a match on a Friday after work, with an overnight stay, for cheap. Knows all the cheap deals in pubs like 2 for one meals on different nights.

But, he’s not stingy. Would never shirk a debt, never skip a round at the pub, and I’ve noticed when he books tickets for a group (which he does because he knows there’s a discount for group bookings), he always passes on the discount he absorbs the booking fee if there is one. He’s happy to pay a few quid extra because he got the cheapest deal for everyone.

Sound man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

There’s a mate of mine who would go out of his way to save a few bob, but he is even more careful with other people’s money than his own. He lives in England and knows all the ways to get cheap train tickets (split-ticketing and off-peak travel) cheap hotels for £30 so he can go to a match on a Friday after work, with an overnight stay, for cheap. Knows all the cheap deals in pubs like 2 for one meals on different nights.

But, he’s not stingy. Would never shirk a debt, never skip a round at the pub, and I’ve noticed when he books tickets for a group (which he does because he knows there’s a discount for group bookings), he always passes on the discount he absorbs the booking fee if there is one. He’s happy to pay a few quid extra because he got the cheapest deal for everyone.

Sound man.

There's a massive difference between being a stinge and being a bargain hunter :)

I'll admit I'm a bargain hunter, I hate paying full price for stuff , but I will if I have to.

I'd be absolutely mortified if someone said they thought I was stingey though, as I'm not mean with money by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Sound man.

Exactly that's being frugal rather than stingy there's a world of difference

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Spent about €90 total on the sisters 2 kids for Christmas (like every other year). Threw in a €80 voucher for a good restaurant for her and the husband.

She handed us a bottle of red wine (€11 in SuperValu) in return last night. They're both teachers on the upper end of the pay scale. Probably recycled the wine.

Not the first time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Spent about €90 total on the sisters 2 kids for Christmas (like every other year). Threw in a €80 voucher for a good restaurant for her and the husband.

She handed us a bottle of red wine (€11 in SuperValu) in return last night. They're both teachers on the upper end of the pay scale. Probably recycled the wine.

Public sector workers are like that
    They get nothing from their employers except a wage and hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Miserable gits.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Let it be the last.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,203 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Public sector workers are like that
    They get nothing from their employers except a wage and hassle

There’s about 30-40,000 public sector workers. And I’d say 30-39,998 aren’t like that.

A persons employer doesn’t dictate whether they’re miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Dodge wrote: »
    There’s about 30-40,000 public sector workers. And I’d say 30-39,998 aren’t like that.
    I think your an optimistic person if your thinking it could be as low as 2 out of 40,000 odd public sector workers are not miserable gits.
    You are right though in that someones employer does not dictate whether or not they are miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Paul McCartney regularly visits charity shops and his daughter said he wouldnt pay for her to go to an expensive college. he made her go to a really cheap one.

Saw a fly on the wall documentary. it had ex footballer matt le tissier in his expensive house. and Matt said his guilty pleasure was custard creme biscuits. to which they showed him opening a press and taking out a packed of supermarket own brand custard cremes. id say they cost about 12p a packet. he seemed like a cool bloke though.

please dont jump in to say the above is not stinge. i thought they were funny antedotes relating to stinge.

she probably didnt spend 11euro on the bottle. probably got it from a kid in the class.

i know a few teachers and yes, they are incredibly stingy. not to go off topic, but they get so much tax free cash from their supervised study and officiating at exams. and their pensions are massive. my only regret in life is not becomign a teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,974 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

she probably didnt spend 11euro on the bottle. probably got it from a kid in the class.

i know a few teachers and yes, they are incredibly stingy. not to go off topic, but they get so much tax free cash from their supervised study and officiating at exams. and their pensions are massive. my only regret in life is not becomign a teacher.

yeah it can be a regret but if you don't have the patience you'd end up in Mountjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

If you're going to spout "facts" at least check them first. Teachers who invigilate at exams or supervise study sessions pay tax at 20/40% like the rest of us.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Worked with a lad years ago who would stuff his face at work meals. Fair enough. But he was always trying to get fit and lose weight, but would insist on starters, mains, desserts, whatever as "it was coming to him".

Reminds me of an Indian man I worked with about 20 years ago. He was very over-qualified for his job (had a PhD from India and very high-level managerial experience) and resented it terribly. He was middle-aged (late 40's) at the time. Every single working day he would have a cup of tea at 10.30, a small tupperware meal of cold rice with vegetables at 13.00 with a cup of tea and a cup of tea at 15.30. The tea was free. He was very slim.

We went for a training day in Co. Clare once (from Cork city) and I was amazed to see him have a HUGE lunch (no charge) with fish, potatoes, veg, a fizzy drink and a chocolate dessert. Needless to say, he was sick as a dog afterwards. We had to stop twice on the way home so he could vomit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

Why on earth would you give them an €80 restaurant voucher, especially as you say this wasn't the first time. Are you trying to shame them? Can you not take a hint?

For one reason or another, they're making a conscious decision not to spend big on Christmas presents for adult relatives, or from putting the time and effort into choosing them either.

Then again, maybe you're right and they are really tight fisted. If so, why reward them for their meanness.

Plus you're making all sorts of assumptions about their finances. They may be in relatively well paid jobs, but you have no idea of their true financial commitments or situation.

IMO a E10 bottle of wine deserves a E10 bottle of wine in return. Nobody gets hurt, embarrassed, or as you do, feels hard done by.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,037 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Murt10 wrote: »
    Why on earth would you give them an €80 restaurant voucher, especially as you say this wasn't the first time. Are you trying to shame them? Can you not take a hint?

For one reason or another, they're making a conscious decision not to spend big on Christmas presents for adult relatives, or from putting the time and effort into choosing them either.

Then again, maybe you're right and they are really tight fisted. If so, why reward them for their meanness.

Plus you're making all sorts of assumptions about their finances. They may be in relatively well paid jobs, but you have no idea of their true financial commitments or situation.

IMO a E10 bottle of wine deserves a E10 bottle of wine in return. Nobody gets hurt, embarrassed, or as you do, feels hard done by.

Conspicuous gifting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Their pensions are no longer overly generous
    Nothing a teacher earns officially is tax free, quite the opposite
    Most teachers are miserable probably because the job wears you down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'd say some people surely have some stingers xmas stories from today to entertain the rest of us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭pgj2015

years ago I was off work with a broken arm. my cousin asked me if I wanted to go to some garage a couple of hours away as he was getting new rims, as I wasn't at anything else I took him up on the offer. after he got the rims fitted he gave me say 500 euro to pay the garage man, the guy says it was 520. I threw him the extra 20 out of my pocket. I mentioned it to my cousin and he says thanks, I will pay you that later. so then we stop off at another town on the way home, we need to park the car, my cousin drives around for about half an hour trying to find free parking, he cant get any so he gives up and goes to a paid car park, it was only about 2 euro, he asks me for the 2 euro. I had it but pretended I didnt. he pays the 2 euro eventually but doesnt stop bitching about it for the next hour.
    Then when he dropped me home he starts going on about how great he was for bringing me out for the day.

obviously he never paid me back the 20. tight miserable git, that was about 15 years ago, I never hung out with him since by choice. fool me once etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

This year I gave no presents to my parents or sister, nothing not even a card, the first time I ever did that. I don't see the point of buying needless absolute rubbish and I do not believe in Gift Cards. I told them I will buy them something they really need or pay a bill for them instead. I am really appalled at the amount of rubbish they all have. My sister has probably 50+ pairs of shoes, same with handbags, actually every rubbish item of clothing you imagine and she has it times 50. I decided not to support the Penny's rubbish lemmings etc.

I also spent until Dec 10th in quarantine and since it never stopped raining here since then I couldn't be bothered and with brexit and parcel motel gone etc. I decided not to bother with online and I wouldn't support Irish retail purposely by choice.

Am I stingy? No but I won't buy sh!te for senseless consumerism, e.g. I could have lavished €100 on thrash like cosmetics and a handbag or a spa voucher for my sister, she has a €1,500 car repair bill hanging over her so I'll help her pay the garage instead. My mother got a medical bill for €900 i'll help her pay that instead of buying her another trashy Cecila Ahern Novel and some crap from Penny's, my father has loads of clothes but wears the same 4-5 pieces until either they are threadbare or they mysteriously disappears in the laundry and my mum dumps them. I'll help him fill the oil tank next month instead of buying unwanted rubbish.

• Advertisement

Their pensions are no longer overly generous
    Nothing a teacher earns officially is tax free, quite the opposite
    Most teachers are miserable probably because the job wears you down

The syringe story referee to 2 Well established teachers, not new entrant teachers where pension less. Even so, to buy the equivalent of a teachers pension was calculated at about 800k euro. Few private pension savers have amassed close to this

Advertisement