Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many firearms are you allowed to own?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭SVI40

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Feinwerkbau AW93.

Sweet, enjoy it when you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Cass wrote: »
    The secure storage SI (307/2009) only lists the minimum security you MUST have according to the number of guns you have. This means you must have the requirements listed in each level at a minimum before you even apply. It is then up to the Super/Chief Super as to whether they want more security.

So the only crappy, non, answer anyone can give is get in whatever you need for the amount of guns you have and then see if you're asked for more.

If you have four, and they're all unrestricted, then you are in level three. A fifth gun will keep you in level three. So you've met the minimum standards for applying and it'll be up to your Super if s/he wants more so you can get the fifth.

Yes I hear you it all depends on the Super in my area and what they want I suppose. Can they make me fit extra security even though I have met the legal requirements for security and storage according to the law or is it an argument ur never going to win?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ace86 wrote: »
    Can they make me fit extra security even though I have met the legal requirements for security and storage according to the law.........
    As above:
    Cass wrote:
    The secure storage SI (307/2009) only lists the minimum security you MUST have according to the number of guns you have. This means you must have the requirements listed in each level at a minimum before you even apply. It is then up to the Super/Chief Super as to whether they want more security.
    So as said you have to comply with the minimum standards as laid out in the SI. This is a must. Then the Super can impose other/higher security measures if s/he deems it necessary. Such circumstances could include high crime area, isolated house, history of burglary (the area, not so much you), because its Monday (:D), rented property, shared living, etc, etc.
    ........ or is it an argument ur never going to win?
    There is no argument to be had, and i'm not being a dick. The law says very clearly:
    4. The holders of firearm certificates in respect of firearms of the types and numbers mentioned in column (2) of the Schedule at any reference number shall comply with the minimum standards in relation to the provision of secure accommodation for those firearms specified in column (3) opposite that reference number
    Now obviously if the Super demands a moat with sharks and fricking laser beams on their heads, you have a case to appeal in terms of being overly drastic/harsh. Other than that you've no choice but to comply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

There is no argument to be had, and i'm not being a dick. The law says very clearly:

No your fine your just giving a straight answer from what u know and read and probably gone through yourself. Would it be advisable to talk them 1st about another firearm before I go purchasing one?

If you want my opinion, as in what i'd do.

You are legally covered for the amount of guns you have and for another one without having to increase the security requirements. So you can apply right now for the other gun and be legal.

Whether the Super asks for more or not is up to them, however most people with firearm rarely get asked for more security when they already have security and are a "known factor". Asking for a meeting may cause an increase that may never come.

The only reason i'd be hesitant, if i were you, is because there is a hefty price difference between level three and level four (depending on the type of alarm you already have). If you only have a room alarm then level four requires a house alarm with monitoring and this would be the next step you may be asked to take. Again it's all subjective.

Me, i'd just apply, tick the boxes, and see what happens. You can always cancel the license application if you're called in and told to get more security that would cause a huge rise in the overall cost.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

You are legally covered for the amount of guns you have and for another one without having to increase the security requirements. So you can apply right now for the other gun and be legal.

Whether the Super asks for more or not is up to them, however most people with firearm rarely get asked for more security when they already have security and are a "known factor". Asking for a meeting may cause an increase that may never come.

The only reason i'd be hesitant, if i were you, is because there is a hefty price difference between level three and level four (depending on the type of alarm you already have). If you only have a room alarm then level four requires a house alarm with monitoring and this would be the next step you may be asked to take. Again it's all subjective.

Me, i'd just apply, tick the boxes, and see what happens. You can always cancel the license application if you're called in and told to get more security that would cause a huge rise in the overall cost.

Slightly off topic maybe but I've wondered about this before. Can you actually "cancel" an application after it's gone in.

In other words, can you withdraw it without it counting as a refusal.

If you cancel a license or application its not counted as a refusal as you were not refused.

You can cancel an application at any point. Whether that is asking for the application to be "pulled" or getting so far as the grant letter and simply not paying for it (you only have 30 days to do so or its classed by AGS as unwanted).

I've done this twice and one was an application and the other a grant letter. The application was pulled because the gun i wanted was not able to be got and the grant letter was a case of when i decided to sell a gun instead of licensing it again. With the application they simply pulled it, but for the one with the grant letter i wrote to my FO citing the grant letter number and told him that i was not going to pay for it and provided a copy of the storage letter from the dealer to show the gun was not in my possession. Same applies if you're buying a gun. You don't pay the grant fee, write to your FO, give the grant number and a letter to say you have not collected the gun.

The lack of payment receipt from the post office or the actual license means the RFD won't and cannot hand out the license.

Sound for the advice cass yes that was in my head anyway just to chance it see how it goes but I don’t want to go down the monitored alarm route to be honest as it’s the family home I live in not my house.I’m glad I can withdraw the application at anytime if that becomes a concern but I do have one question or fear I suppose if I get it and in 3 yrs time go for renewal can the super turn around and say he wants me to upgrade my security I’m sure they can?

ace86 wrote: »
    ........ if I get it and in 3 yrs time go for renewal can the super turn around and say he wants me to upgrade my security I’m sure they can?
    There is nothing stopping him from doing so, but if he deemed your security set up as competent when he first licensed you then I cannot see him increasing it in 3 years. Well not to the extreme of causing a huge cost for security increase.

There is always the option of you doing the increase yourself. I mean if you spread the cost of the house alarm over a three year period and have it installed before renewal then it could work out at less than a tenner a week and you never have to worry about security costs nor meeting security requirements again.

IOW hit level 4 yourself, between licensing and renewal, and never concern yourself with any future application requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Wonder if you got past a certain number of guns. Would it be a better option to go and build a miniature vault in some part of the house and put in a proper vault door? It would certainly beat any sort of mild steel box we have here that are mistakenly called "safes". Obviously still needs the alarm etc, but it would show going above&beyond the call of security requirements,so they might factor that into the application?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

I didn't build a miniature vault but turned a room into a vault for the reasons i gave to ace86 above. That is to pre-empt any future requirements and have them met regardless of the number of firearms which included sealing and securing the window and door. Then went well above level four for the rest of the house including CCTV system, IR lighting, etc.. Done it for security first and foremost but it will also satisfy any requirements they can consider in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder if you got past a certain number of guns. Would it be a better option to go and build a miniature vault in some part of the house and put in a proper vault door? It would certainly beat any sort of mild steel box we have here that are mistakenly called "safes". Obviously still needs the alarm etc, but it would show going above&beyond the call of security requirements,so they might factor that into the application?

I'd love to do that but I don't think it would comply with the conditions on my licence.

I'm required to keep my restricted firearms broken down and split between two safes in different rooms. So if someone takes a gun from a safe, it's inoperable. They'd have to find the two safes to get a working firearm.

Advertisement