Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

And the winner of dreamer of the year is...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

They are pretty cool in fairness, but... I dunno, it's like a special edition McDonald's cheeseburger. I'd eat one for the laugh but I'm not paying extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

McDonald's do some pretty funny burgers though... in Japan I had the teriyaki mac...and the megamac (it's a thing there to eat mountains of MickeyD's french fries apparently) and KFC is a traditional christmas meal for the Japanese (that you need to order in advance).

In Boston I had the McD lobster roll too... and in Mumbai had the veggie mac.

Good ol' globalisation/consumerism :P

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The only thing half decent I've ever had from McD is the McRib (RIP), but I think I might try that one in Boston too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The real boston lobster rolls are better (though we have great lobster rolls in Ireland too ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

But but but......the add says mint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

893bet wrote: »
    But but but......the add says mint

It probably fell into a glass of mouthwash so.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭oknepop

I'm not up on Seiko pricing, but this seems very steep for a run of the mill Seiko 5.

https://www.adverts.ie/casual/seiko-automatic-silver-watch/22408639

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Mental no model number but I'd say it worth €120 tops.

He has this one for €750
    https://www.adverts.ie/casual/brand-new-seiko-automatic-watch/22408489

Was for sale here for €260! Probably where he got it!
    https://www.hillierjewellers.co.uk/seiko-gents-two-tone-automatic-watch-srp536j1-p5461

Can still get it here for €318!
    https://www.watchshop.com/watches/mens-seiko-presage-automatic-watch-srp536j1.pdp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Was sure it was when I added it maybe not :o. 750 is still crazy money for it even discontinued. Doesn't seem to be that desirable of a model.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Fitz II wrote: »

He has an offer of 350 from, I suspect, one of his mates.:D

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    He has an offer of 350 from, I suspect, one of his mates.:D

These were just 230 for the j model on black friday...

Took one as a trade in 3 years ago. It had a noticeable scratch on the glass, but was in very good condition otherwise. I think I allowed €60 for it :D

€350-€400 for an entry level second hand diver from Seiko is just plain ridiculous. And that's before we'd even take into account the poor quality control Seiko has these days.

unkel wrote: »
    Took one as a trade in 3 years ago. It had a noticeable scratch on the glass, but was in very good condition otherwise. I think I allowed €60 for it :D

€350-€400 for an entry level second hand diver from Seiko is just plain ridiculous. And that's before we'd even take into account the poor quality control Seiko has these days.

They are a very good watch, utility and robust. Totally inaccurate and QC is indeed questionable. I suppose the SKX design is becoming a bit of a classic. Its thinner than a lot of seikos at the moment, and the nice flat profile makes it very wearable. For me the SKX007 or 009 is the defacto Seiko, but prices need to reflect the fact there are millions and millions of them out there.

Aye no mistake, it is a lovely watch. But not at that sort of money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They are a very good watch, utility and robust. Totally inaccurate and QC is indeed questionable.
    True. They can take dogs abuse and keep going. Them and Rolex have been long known for that. The guy who got a Seiko/Rolex diver in the 70's, never serviced, oils long turned to shellac, looks like it was dug outa King Kong's footprint, but 40 years later still ticking away and mostly accurately too.

Their quality control at that level, at least in regulation of their mechanical movements was always variable. A schoolmate of mine's dad owned a jewellers and he was a Seiko stockist and I remember him saying that way back when. That you could pick two out of a row of ten of the same model and one would be as accurate as Stevie Wonder at sniper school, but the other one could be giving COSC standards of accuracy. Over the years I've regulated a few and with basic tweaking they'd be pretty bloody accurate. It seems Seiko at that price level just don't bother, but the movements themselves are well capable of better.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    as accurate as Stevie Wonder at sniper school,

:D I am nicking that one......

€14k for one of the less popular Rolex steel sports watches that retails for €11k is strong, very strong money. I'd hesitate to call it a dreamer though. As this watch is "Brand new unworn condition"

MjAxNDI5ZGZiM2U0NDY5OGIyZjlmYWFjYzM3OTY0ZGVF-775wEvyI-IR4KGmEQ7EaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vNjkzZmVmNDMwMzJlODZiOTU2Zjk0OGM4ODA4ZjYxOThkMjNmYTAwMTAyZjU4MzljYTY5ZTE2M2UyYjhjMjEzZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTN4Mjk0fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

And it is "Bought April 2020' and never worn"

ZDZkY2I1NDMwYzY4MDhlOTNkNzZmY2YxZjkwZDI5YjaAb8Drm3kYucmaBr9W7rhhaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZDZjNDkwOTAyYjc1NjRmZjE1Zjk0Y2E2OTdiYTkzMjMzMTZlZmFjNGViMGI5YjJiNzQ4MTdjYzBmNTIxMWU5MC5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

:pac:

Linky

Never worn....here are pictures of me wearing it :rolleyes:

In fairness I think we all know the seller means that he has never actually worn it on a day to day basis and he only put it on to take the pictures. I have no doubt this is true. But you can't really advertise a watch as unworn unless it well, was never worn. Although it would be impossible to be certain nobody before you has ever tried it on of course, so much of a muchness really.

What would you do if you just bought a brand new watch to flip it for a profit like this seller? I guess the one thing I would not do is take pictures of me wearing it :)

• Advertisement

In fairness I think we all know the seller means that he has never actually worn it on a day to day basis and he only put it on to take the pictures. I have no doubt this is true. But you can't really advertise a watch as unworn unless it well, was never worn. Although it would be impossible to be certain nobody before you has ever tried it on of course, so much of a muchness really.

What would you do if you just bought a brand new watch to flip it for a profit like this seller? I guess the one thing I would not do is take pictures of me wearing it :)

If the stickers are off, its worn. 10:10 maybe but not unworn. When you are asking 3k over RRP its an important distinction. Still that might be good value, I am not well up on my Sea Dweller prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If the stickers are off, its worn. 10:10 maybe but not unworn. When you are asking 3k over RRP its an important distinction. Still that might be good value, I am not well up on my Sea Dweller prices.

I'd agree on that.
    Even removed and then reapplied, it's a worn watch at that point.

Still that might be good value, I am not well up on my Sea Dweller prices.

That reference Sea-Dweller from a seller in the EU, full set, go from about €13k asking price on chrono24. From a dealer, before negotiation and including the chrono fee of about €1k. So a private direct sale of over say €12k is strong money. €14k is very strong money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Does the red writing version add much to the price ?Standard 126660 are available new at €12k

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

scwazrh wrote: »
    Does the red writing version add much to the price ?Standard 126660 are available new at €12k

its a pretty different watch

https://www.rolex.com/watches/sea-dweller/m126600-0001.html

think larger submariner versus massive slab of steel.

scwazrh wrote: »

New, where? From Rolex at RRP? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭scwazrh

New, where? From Rolex at RRP? :D

Is that RRP ?
    I’ll get you one for €12600 if you’re interested 😀

Do yourself a favour, put it up for sale when you get it, you can make a nice wee profit on it if you can get it at that price :)

RRP on the black one is €12k. Unworn you should get at least €14k for one. Bigger profit again on the blue

Do tell though, how are you getting one?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Do yourself a favour, put it up for sale when you get it, you can make a nice wee profit on it if you can get it at that price :)

RRP on the black one is €12k. Unworn you should get at least €14k for one. Bigger profit again on the blue

Do tell though, how are you getting one?

Are dssd selling at a premium ? Any I’d seen on tzuk struggle unless it’s changed recently (the non Cameron )

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    Are dssd selling at a premium ? Any I’d seen on tzuk struggle unless it’s changed recently (the non Cameron )

I'm no expert and this is just anecdotal (from closely observing a few watch forums / online marketplaces) but all professional steel seem to have picked up hugely in the last few months. Last 4 blue yachtmaster full set excellent condition sold on tzuk for about GBP7k over the last 2 years, then boom up to almost GBP9k now

Pre-ceramic subs, pretty but flawed compared to modern ones, GBP7k

Pre-ceramic GMT II for strong money like above

Indeed all the watches that sold second hand for a good bit under RRP are now up, even the "poor man's" Explorer II, even the black!

Every single steel sports seems to be jumped upon and selling at full asking price. Lots of lads out there with money in their pocket because of COVID

Advertisement