Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dating 'leagues' exist?

Options

Comments

Ok. I'm soundly confused. That is all sarcasm, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Ok. I'm soundly confused. That is all sarcasm, right?

Who the hell are you talking to?

you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

Some say they do and others don't. Basically can an unattractive, low earning guy score an attractive high earning woman?

I mean technically you can find a diamond on the beach.

In reality though no.

You guys limit yourselves too much.

A high earning woman needs to sacrifice much in her life to achieve what she has. Which usually means that she wants what she's missed. After all, society tells her that she can be a professional success while also having everything else besides. While she won't be able to devote much time to you (as she's career minded), she is just as interested in love/romance/attention as the next woman.

Attractiveness comes down to how you make another person feel. If you're lacking in physical attractiveness, you can make up the difference through the acquisition of skills and knowledge. Being able to talk to her in ways that others fail to do. Understanding her difficulties, and being able to console. By cooking delicious foods, that she never has time to do herself, or time to learn. Making her feel special.

It's sad the way some here view dating. In some cases, there are real barriers to you succeeding with another person, but in most cases, you can learn to be more appealing to others. The problem is that you don't want to improve, and expect others to simply like you as you are now. Grow. Adapt. Become something more than you are now. Learn to understand others, and to anticipate their needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Shut up klaz. If you've a problem with my post at least try and argue it instead of acting the bollocks.

You guys limit yourselves too much.

A high earning woman needs to sacrifice much in her life to achieve what she has. Which usually means that she wants what she's missed. After all, society tells her that she can be a professional success while also having everything else besides. While she won't be able to devote much time to you (as she's career minded), she is just as interested in love/romance/attention as the next woman.

Attractiveness comes down to how you make another person feel. If you're lacking in physical attractiveness, you can make up the difference through the acquisition of skills and knowledge. Being able to talk to her in ways that others fail to do. Understanding her difficulties, and being able to console. By cooking delicious foods, that she never has time to do herself, or time to learn. Making her feel special.

It's sad the way some here view dating. In some cases, there are real barriers to you succeeding with another person, but in most cases, you can learn to be more appealing to others. The problem is that you don't want to improve, and expect others to simply like you as you are now. Grow. Adapt. Become something more than you are now. Learn to understand others, and to anticipate their needs.

By cooking delicious foods :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

85603 wrote: »

Fatten her up sure. She'll love that.

Skills. Being a good cook is a wonderful skill, since women love to eat. It also provides an excellent reason for her to be in your place, or you in hers. Never mind the range of conversational topics.

Ahh I thought we were talking about a better class of dating (attractive high earning women), but I guess we're talking about youth dating revolving around the pub, and nightclubs. I can see now why you'd think it impossible to do.. fair enough. carry on.

Skills. Being a good cook is a wonderful skill, since women love to eat. It also provides an excellent reason for her to be in your place, or you in hers. Never mind the range of conversational topics.

Ahh I thought we were talking about a better class of dating (attractive high earning women), but I guess we're talking about youth dating revolving around the pub, and nightclubs.

cant she just call deliveroo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

It would be an interesting experiment to get say, 20 couples but separate them and then have volunteers interact with the people and try to guess which couples are together. (You could keep it heterosexual just to avoid more complication)

I would not fancy my ability to match the couples correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

Shut up klaz. If you've a problem with my post at least try and argue it instead of acting the bollocks.

It is hard to respond in any meaningful way because the posts are so out there that I also thought they are some kind of sarcasm. Your thinking is extremely flawed but not only that it feels like a mindset which I would say is very damaging to yourself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

joe40 wrote: »
    It would be an interesting experiment to get say, 20 couples but separate them and then have volunteers interact with the people and try to guess which couples are together. (You could keep it heterosexual just to avoid more complication)

Apparently photos alone can work:
    There's a shedload of studies that show people overwhelmingly tend to pair up with "equal" in attractiveness. So if you get photos of couple ranked 1-10 in looks and jumble the pics up and get other people to match them up the 5's tend to be with the 5's the 8's with the 8's for the most part.

Though I suspect they pick people who are more obvious in physical attractiveness in both directions. A room full of people about the same level of looks would be much harder if not impossible.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I remember seeing some science study showing that the greatest predictor/correlation among couples is levels of self-esteem. Takeaway being that it is how you see yourself that counts when finding a match. If you see yourself as a 9.5, you have every chance of matching with a 9.5

Was the study by one Doctor Walt Disney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

They exist alright,though not as much based on looks as preceived........it usually includes other preferences aswell (college educated,no kids etc etc)

I will say,that on a purely superficial looks based only level,ive often seen women go out with less attractive men,but almost never vice versa

I can think of at least five or six couples that I know where the guy is objectively more attractive than his partner/wife. In fact I seem to notice that scenario moreso these days than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

joe40 wrote: »

love at first sight is kind of like this, in inverse and the "experts"on the australian verison, have a horrendous success rate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Daisy78 wrote: »
    I can think of at least five or six couples that I know where the guy is objectively more attractive than his partner/wife. In fact I seem to notice that scenario moreso these days than the other way around.

my fiance has a tremendous personality , everyone loves her and she is very funny as well as a fantastic cook , she does put on weight very easily though , im objectively in physically better condition by a distance but i admit im a lot less likeable than she is

looks are not everything , i know a guy back from where im originally from , he is a bit like Dave from " The royale family " , decent but gormless , married a sexy chavy type , she cheats on him regularly and insults him in front of everyone , she married him because she and her family hadnt a bean while he had a steady modest sized business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

So on the question "are more attractive people more likely to go out with other attractive people than with unattractive people?" the after hours consensus is no.

Seriously? Did you forget to take your meds?

............ The 'real' women is always used to suggest the women is not conventionally attractive.

TBH I don't know what that means. A "real woman".

In plain language ........... a fat bird.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Same here. My best mate from college is objectively a very handsome guy. He had his head wrecked by an extremely attractive girlfriend in his 20s. His wife is certainly no oil painting. I was surprised to see them together when I first met her.

I get it now after to getting to know her over the years. She’s a very nice, no BS woman, who is a great mother to their kids. However, I imagine strangers view them as quite mismatched.

• Advertisement

Hamachi wrote: »
    Same here. My best mate from college is objectively a very handsome guy. He had his head wrecked by an extremely attractive girlfriend in his 20s. His wife is certainly no oil painting. I was surprised to see them together when I first met her.

I get it now after to getting to know her over the years. She’s a very nice, no BS woman, who is a great mother to their kids. However, I imagine strangers view them as quite mismatched.

occasionally you encounter a couple where it makes no sense , my brother in law has an excellent job , pulls in over 90 k per annum in the pharmaceutical sector , tall good looking dude who works out four days per week before work , his wife is circa 5 ft 3 with a naturally shrill face , her personality is also a little prickly though shes a good sort overall , i just do not get what he ever saw in her though , my other half tells me his wife was the first non blonde he was ever in a relationship with so perhaps the stunners didnt work out for him and he went the other way ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    occasionally you encounter a couple where it makes no sense , my brother in law has an excellent job , pulls in over 90 k per annum in the pharmaceutical sector , tall good looking dude who works out four days per week before work , his wife is circa 5 ft 3 with a naturally shrill face , her personality is also a little prickly though shes a good sort overall , i just do not get what he ever saw in her though , my other half tells me his wife was the first non blonde he was ever in a relationship with so perhaps the stunners didnt work out for him and he went the other way ?

Do you have to be a blonde to be in the “stunner” category?!!:D

Do you have to be a blonde to be in the “stunner” category?!!:D

certainly not for me anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭The_Dark_Lord

Yes, they exist. The more options a person believes they have- the fussier they are going to be. Your average Joe, who's average in every sense of the word, doesn't have the same sexual selectivity as the good looking rich guy. Consequently, the good looking rich guy is going to be much fussier and can afford to reject more women than the 'average Joe' can. Similarly, the plain Jane doesn't have the kind of options the leggy, twenty-something stunner has. I think many long-term singletons who are looking for a relationship are in that situation because they have unrealistic standards. There is someone out there for everyone, you just have to be aware of your own options. You don't get naked with the soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Have been looking a lot into Attachment styles recently. It's so interesting that we think of opposites attracting but the evidence suggests that it's pretty much similarities that brings people together. Assholes will get with assholes, attractive with attractive, insecure with insecure etc. There's something quite orderly about this which to me is a lot easier to accept and find peace with than bad boys getting with good girls, which completely destroys my world view.

Austria! wrote: »
    So on the question "are more attractive people more likely to go out with other attractive people than with unattractive people?" the after hours consensus is no.

Seriously? Did you forget to take your meds?

Internet forums like to do this. Its a coping mechanism and an opportunity to reference the one statistical anomaly you know of in your life.

The reality is, as Chris Rock puts it, people fck across and up. Nobody fcks down.

Basically if you're a 5 you'll generally take 5 and up.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Are you insulting your own sister?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

OscarMIlde wrote: »

I'd say this guy is married to that guy's sister.

OscarMIlde wrote: »

sorry , we use overly loose definitions in our household , im referring to my fiances brother and his Mrs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,656 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Internet forums like to do this. Its a coping mechanism and an opportunity to reference the one statistical anomaly you know of in your life.

The reality is, as Chris Rock puts it, people fck across and up. Nobody fcks down.

Basically if you're a 5 you'll generally take 5 and up.

If one person is fcking up, then by definition, the other person is fcking down.

There's no fcking up without fcking down.

Advertisement