Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dating 'leagues' exist?

Options
  • 15-12-2020 8:02pm
    Site Banned Posts: 9

Some say they do and others don't. Basically can an unattractive, low earning guy score an attractive high earning woman?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Different people value different things. So people only like attractive people, some people only like funny people.

There are also people who won't date people earning under certain incomes or in a different class to them.

I've certainly had people ghost or end the conversation when I've said I'm from Tallaght (you couldn't tell by talking to me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

GarIT wrote: »
    Different people value different things. So people only like attractive people, some people only like funny people.

Bet you think you're funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Some say they do and others don't. Basically can an unattractive, low earning guy score an attractive high earning woman?

There's no League as such

Attraction is instinctive

If you're good looking and sexy women are attracted

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Bet you think you're funny.

No, I know I'm not

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Henryq. wrote: »
    If you're good looking and sexy women are attracted

Attracted is different to thinking of them as long term partners.

Women may be attracted to the alpha male types, but whether they'd trust them not to cheat/stray, consider that they're be happy with them long term is a different story. I'd say there's a lot of women that wouldn't want to have to keep going to the gym/getting work done to look good for a model man.
    Or would slowly go into a control freak breakdown of insecurity as they aged and the guy stayed looking good.

So usually there's a compromise in the long run.
    The solid stable types, earners and mature ones can win out for marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Leagues exist, but promotion is possible....

hynesie08 wrote: »

Yeah, especially if the women hit early/mid thirties... that ticking biological clock can get you a good second-hand bargain. Like a classic car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

'Leagues' only exist in people's very narrow minds. But there are sadly a lot of narrow minded people out there. Personally, I wouldn't be attracted to the type of person who felt that my job or my earnings made me 'not good enough' for her anyway.

Yeah, especially if the women hit early/mid thirties... that ticking biological clock can get you a good second-hand bargain. Like a classic car.

Wrong mentality, never assume they're settling, just realising....

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Attracted is different to thinking of them as long term partners.

Women may be attracted to the alpha male types, but whether they'd trust them not to cheat/stray, consider that they're be happy with them long term is a different story. I'd say there's a lot of women that wouldn't want to have to keep going to the gym/getting work done to look good for a model man.
    Or would slowly go into a control freak breakdown of insecurity as they aged and the guy stayed looking good.

So usually there's a compromise in the long run.
    The solid stable types, earners and mature ones can win out for marriage.

Can one not be alpha,solid,stable,mature and and big earner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

There are also people who won't date people earning under certain incomes or in a different class to them.

I've certainly had people ghost or end the conversation when I've said I'm from Tallaght (you couldn't tell by talking to me)

Jsysus! At least they didn't waste your time. Who needs that!?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Welcome back Mr. F

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There will always be outliers but most of the time the tall handsome man will be the one the good looking woman wants to end up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭PopZiggy

Unlikely unless you are watching a disney movie

Basically can an unattractive, low earning guy score an attractive high earning woman?

Depends on what you mean by "score".
    You can hold up cardboard cards with the numbers 0 - 10 as they walk by you making zero eye contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hynesie08 wrote: »

So is relegation .

So is relegation .

A lot of conference league players in Coppers of if I recall

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Hamachi

.anon. wrote: »
    'Leagues' only exist in people's very narrow minds. But there are sadly a lot of narrow minded people out there. Personally, I wouldn't be attracted to the type of person who felt that my job or my earnings made me 'not good enough' for her anyway.

I take it you’re single?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Hamachi wrote: »
    I take it you’re single?

Right now, yes. But I haven't always been single. And I have enough self-confidence to believe that I probably won't be single forever either, because I have things to offer a potential partner outside of being wealthy and tall, dark and handsome. Past experiences have taught me that women aren't all the same, and that some of them are, for whatever reason, attracted to me.

I take it you're single too, and you blame outside factors for that? Damn those women, only being attracted to tall, good-looking men with deep pockets instead of nice little guys like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you had a lucky escape.

Friend from limerick used experience the same BS

So is relegation .

Oh absolutely, and as a fat ugly prick with an amazing personality and a fairly hefty member, I've been up and down the table more than West brom.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Ofc they exist but it's not so simple as purely being about looks. An ugly guy can get hot girls if he has status. The guy won't be a low status man that we would think about when we imagine an average guy. Some men just have something about them that enables them escape the tyranny of a a subpar face. A girl having status will not really change her standing.

.anon. wrote: »

Ah yes, the radical idea of self respect, independence and being comfortable in your own skin.

When certain posters prattle on here about "Alpha Males" they miss entirely that the above is the very essence of that fairly redundant terminology by modern standards and not instead having to be a certain height, pay grade level/status or body shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

No, I know I'm not

Joke thread that way>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Ah yes, the radical idea of self respect, independent and being comfortable in your own skin.

When certain posters prattle on here about "Alpha Males" they miss entirely that the above is the very essence of that fairly redundant terminology by modern standards and not instead having to be a certain height, pay grade level/status or body shape.

Without a doubt the most attractive trait in men and women. And the great thing about is, those who have yet to achieve or recognise this and sneer, insult etc, have become deeply unattractive and undesirable to you, regardless of their looks, status, paygrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

"Men are like bank accounts: without any money, they attract no interest"

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Without a doubt the most attractive trait in men and women. And the great thing about is, those who have yet to achieve or recognise this and sneer, insult etc, have become deeply unattractive and undesirable to you, regardless of their looks, status, paygrade.

There you go. Other posters take note. And yes, it's true of both genders; I more or less expect a gf or future wife to be the same and it has been the case in the past. It's supposed to be fun and it's extremely important to be with happy, fulfilled, secure fun people.

Those people who have a chip on their shoulder or are overbearingly insecure about whatever or just plain rude/bitter are simply massively undesirable and it really doesn't matter how objectively good looking or successful you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Not another thread like this please. This tall sh!t will crop up again and overweight women etc. Just not able for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I think most people who believe in leagues haven't been in love. Leagues do exist but not half to the extent people let on. Once you've been in love and you see someone and all their imperfections and completely accept them its a bit demystifying about apparent successfulness or attractiveness.

Thats why I dont really bother with dating apps anymore. I tend to judge profiles on how interesting they seem and how compatible we'd be. Sure attraction plays a role and you have to be somewhat good looking, but I find most typically "unattractive" people just have really poor self presentation. You can be overweight with acne etc but that doesn't stop you from minding other aspects of your appearance such as hair, nails, posture, dress etc

I dated a guy for two years and they were two fantastic years. We met on a night out and he was really charismatic and got my attention, when to be honest if I had seen his tinder profile I would've swiped left. If you love someone you see past supposed imperfections, and its really eye opening.

Advertisement