Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets be real here: The Children's Hospital is a scam

• 21-12-2020 12:30am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭

BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN! How can a children's hospital for the welfare of our kids possibly be a scam? We need the best and most expensive care in the world!
    Yes more expensive than every palace! And more expensive than the pentagon!

Dont worry the taxpayer will foot it!

But lets be real here. Its a scam. There is no way to justify paying so much for a three storey hospital. Its not even that specialized. There are more specialized hospitals that have been renovated multiple times and the cost never went past 1.5 billion!

Its corruption at its finest. BAM and certain party members are 100% laughing all the way to the bank. They're doing this in front of you, the taxpayer and your instinctual reaction is probably to defend this right?

After all how can it be a scam if its legal?

Right?

Pal pick up the phone. 2008 is calling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I forgot about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Think of it more as a monument to incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭rob316

You can add the cork events centre to this too. Keeps going over budget before a brick is laid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BUT THINK OF THE CHILDREN! How can a children's hospital for the welfare of our kids possibly be a scam? We need the best and most expensive care in the world!
    Yes more expensive than every palace! And more expensive than the pentagon!

Dont worry the taxpayer will foot it!

But lets be real here. Its a scam. There is no way to justify paying so much for a three storey hospital. Its not even that specialized. There are more specialized hospitals that have been renovated multiple times and the cost never went past 1.5 billion!

Its corruption at its finest. BAM and certain party members are 100% laughing all the way to the bank. They're doing this in front of you, the taxpayer and your instinctual reaction is probably to defend this right?

After all how can it be a scam if its legal?

Right?

Pal pick up the phone. 2008 is calling.

Which party members were involved - the party in power at the time the decision to go ahead was made? Or the party in power at the time the site was chosen? Or the party in power at the time the contract was awarded? Or the party in power at the time the decision was made to take BAM to the High Court?

How do you reckon that the corrupt party members managed to get dozens of officials to go along with the scam? How did they make sure that no other builder submitted a slightly lower tender?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I don't think the hospital itself is a scam, but its location definitely is. In years to come there will almost certainly be a tribunal that will expose that somebody strongarmed that decision for their own gain and that the children in need of a hospital will have to suffer because it isn't correctly placed beside the M50 where it should always have been.

• Advertisement

Which party members were involved - the party in power at the time the decision to go ahead was made? Or the party in power at the time the site was chosen? Or the party in power at the time the contract was awarded? Or the party in power at the time the decision was made to take BAM to the High Court?

How do you reckon that the corrupt party members managed to get dozens of officials to go along with the scam? How did they make sure that no other builder submitted a slightly lower tender?

From experience with tenders I can tell you that it's not uncommon for one party to be given the details of the other tenders as they come in. All done as a favour of course with a reward if the contract is awarded.
    That's common enough.
    Not saying that's what happened here obviously but it definitely goes on. Cronyism built this country my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,281 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

From experience with tenders I can tell you that it's not uncommon for one party to be given the details of the other tenders as they come in. All done as a favour of course with a reward if the contract is awarded.
    That's common enough.
    Not saying that's what happened here obviously but it definitely goes on. Cronyism built this country my friend.

How much experience do you have with public sector tendering?

It's fairly trivial to prevent this by not submitting your tender until the last minute.

Afaik, the eTenders system works on a lockbox basis, so no details of any submitted tenders can be viewed until the expiry date has passed.

This isn't their first rodeo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭political analyst

I don't think the hospital itself is a scam, but its location definitely is. In years to come there will almost certainly be a tribunal that will expose that somebody strongarmed that decision for their own gain and that the children in need of a hospital will have to suffer because it isn't correctly placed beside the M50 where it should always have been.

Isn't it the location the hospital consultants wanted? The project wouldn't have started if they had not been kept on board.

By the way, ambulances go through busy junctions all the time. I'm sure the paramedics can keep the child's condition stable until they get to the hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

It is, clearly and obviously, a massive, monstrous can of worms. Think about it - the National Lottery, which had never had a single issue in public ownership, was privatised with undue haste in 2014. We were told the public finances needed the money and that the funds raised would go to the children's hospital. The National Lottery raised about €500m selling price. We are now told that the children's hospital will cost six times that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

20 years and numerous reports recommended where it is now.

Who do you want to blame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Isn't it the location the hospital consultants wanted? The project wouldn't have started if they had not been kept on board.

By the way, ambulances go through busy junctions all the time. I'm sure the paramedics can keep the child's condition stable until they get to the hospital.

It isin't just ambulances though. It is children that need to be driven to appointments. Getting across can be a nightmare

How much experience do you have with public sector tendering?

It's fairly trivial to prevent this by not submitting your tender until the last minute.

Afaik, the eTenders system works on a lockbox basis, so no details of any submitted tenders can be viewed until the expiry date has passed.

This isn't their first rodeo.

No public. Only private.

Fair enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

The Dublin Children's Hospital. Give it 10 years we'll be building another so that anyone non Dublin based can actually reach the bloody thing in less than 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

The Dublin Children's Hospital. Give it 10 years we'll be building another so that anyone non Dublin based can actually reach the bloody thing in less than 4 hours.

That be nice - the non Dublin one will be open before the Dublin one!

I completely forgot this was a thing btw - never mind a thing that hasn't even been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I cannot tell you the anxiety I feel driving my daughter to Crumlin childrens hospital , getting into the city, fighting traffic, getting parked was truly painful, it was an unneeded worry when we had larger things to worry about, the new hospital will be worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Snotty wrote: »
    I cannot tell you the anxiety I feel driving my daughter to Crumlin childrens hospital , getting into the city, fighting traffic, getting parked was truly painful, it was an unneeded worry when we had larger things to worry about, the new hospital will be worse.

Sure aren't you up from the sticks like. You should be happy to park out out at the Red Cow or the likes and ride the junkie cart into town with your family. Maybe your car will even still be there when you get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭bigroad

I worked with this building company before and I will say two things about them ,they are handy at getting government contracts and they are the greatest shower of scumbags I have ever m..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

And to make matters worse when the Childrens Hospital is complete the Coastguard wont be able to land their helicopters there, you couldnt make it up.

It isin't just ambulances though. It is children that need to be driven to appointments. Getting across can be a nightmare

Its central for a reason. No person needs to travel the entire lenght of the county and the closer to the city, the higher the population density. Possible smaller centres dotted around the outskirts could have worked but that wasnt on the table.

Its 3km from the red cow junction. where exactly would you like it placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its central for a reason. No person needs to travel the entire lenght of the county and the closer to the city, the higher the population density. Possible smaller centres dotted around the outskirts could have worked but that wasnt on the table.

by the red cow park and ride or similar would have been nice.

look at the beacon, the hermitage, blanchardstown, Tallaght hospitals, all just off the motorway, easily got to with public transport and loads of parking. building a hospital more than 1km from the M50 should never have been considered for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

bigroad wrote: »
    I worked with this building company before and I will say two things about them ,they are handy at getting government contracts and they are the greatest shower of scumbags I have ever m..

if they are who i am thinking about (Hg), the same goes for any government contract.

when you know the tab is on the government (the tax payer), you make hay while the sun is shining. the government need to negotiate better contracts. like negotiate into the contract the price of labour and steel so Pascal and the boys can hedge.

just seems nonsensical to me how it can be so over budget. have at a minimum a fixed priced contract.

whats the reason for the massive over spend?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Connolly Hospital in Blanch was the other option where they have acres of green space for future expansions and where Coastguard helicopters could have landed which they cant do at the new Childrens Hospital in St James, there isnt the space and the helicopter pad to be installed there cannot hold the weight of them. Meaning children with severe and urgent brain injuries may not get to the hospital on time because the helicopter cannot land there. You would have thought this would be a key requirement on where to locate the hospital but no it wasnt.

That aside from a population perspective around 1.1m people live inside the M50 and 3.8m live outside it. It can take as long to travel from Lucan to the city centre as it does to travel from Lucan to Athlone. Ambulances coming from other areas of the country outside the M50 are going to have a battle to get through traffic at a time when every minute counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Apart from the location, and the limitations caused by the site, the biggest problem is that it won't increase bed capacity in the slightest.
    380 beds in individual rooms and 93 day beds.
    So about 485 bed spaces, about the same number as will be closed in Crumlin, Temple Street and the Childrens Unit in Tallagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Apart from the location, and the limitations caused by the site, the biggest problem is that it won't increase bed capacity in the slightest.
    380 beds in individual rooms and 93 day beds.
    So about 485 bed spaces, about the same number as will be closed in Crumlin, Temple Street and the Childrens Unit in Tallagh.

Ia there a shortage of beds at the moment?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's common enough.

Annnnnnnd bullshyt. Take it from someone with actual experience with tenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is it to late to down tools are stop pumping money into this scam?

Personally, I feel it should have been built on one of the green sites around this general area:

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3638795,-6.4278286,1588m/data=!3m1!1e3

(I'm not overly clued into dublin, but from Google maps that area looks unused)

Buy all the green space, and start putting in plans to turn the area into a 'medical quarter' of sorts. Stick the Children's Hospital in, and draw up the plans for multiple more buildings to be built around it, as and when the time comes. Then when we need to build any new public health buildings, for whatever uses, they have space beside the Children's Hospital to do it. The population is growing and growing again, so there'll be need to build more hospital and medical/care facilities in the coming decades. Having a plan to bunch them all together, along with an ambulance base, large car park, etc. just makes sense to me.

It's also right beside the M50 and M4.

Journey time from to there from..
    Dublin Port: 20mins
    Drogheda: 40mins
    Athlone: 1hr 15mins
    Galway: 2hr 5mins
    Cork: 2hr 45mins

Almost every journey would be 90% motorway, no parking issues, no queues of traffic, no pedestrians, and close enough to large parts of Dublin that that sticking it on a couple of bus routes wouldn't be disruptive.

But sure, I'm no expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Of course it's a coc#up by all involved.
    There's too much money in the making for it to be a genuine good for the kids/country project.

There appears to be only one construction company in this country. The politicians are a bunch of idiots and as for the consultants. Words fail me.

This is a tribunal waiting to happen.
    Yet one more waste if money and keep some should be retired judge in business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭AutoTuning

It's an extremely expensive illustration of "Too many cooks."

You can't manage a project like that. It was pulled around by endless political and apolitical lobbies and even moved site.

From what I can see they forgot the core reason for the project: to treat sick children. Instead there were debates about everything else.

Whole thing could have been built simply and quickly on a green field site, perhaps next to one of the suburban hospitals with space, or near by.

Everything about it was a fiasco and white elephant from the start and it's starved other urgent projects from capital funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Is that you Mr. Donnelly?

The central area you reference is surrounded by soul crushing gridlock all day, not just rush hour. I know as I live near St James's hospital. There's no justification for locating it where it is. And no one will be bringing a sick child on a bus or the Luas to get there.

Advertisement