Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

COVID-19: Vaccine and testing procedures Megathread Part 2 [Mod Warning - Post #1]

• 18-12-2020 7:39pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So the approval of the vaccine is almost upon us, indeed approved in some countries already (and the old thread was nearing 10k posts)

Threadbans carry over from the first thread as below

Mod: The purpose of this thread is baked into the title - COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures - it's not a platform to push an anti vaccination agenda. If posters wish to discuss the perceived cons of vaccinations, or push various theories regarding 'the agenda' (whatever that is supposed to mean), open a thread elsewhere on it.

Necro wrote: »
    Mod:

Folks, if you are not discussing the vaccine rollout or testing procedures then you shouldn't be posting here. There are a multitude of threads to discuss the competency/incompetency of the HSE (in relation to Covid-19) in this forum.

Don't do it here or you'll be threadbanned going forward.

Threadbanned Users:
    3xh
    Dr.Frost
    kingbhome
    nannerbenahs
    skooterblue2
    Fodla
    Caraibh
    drunkmonkey
    lawrencesummers
    Howard Beale
    jelem
    Pitch n Putt
    Solar2021
    ShineOn7
    y2k2020
    snowcat
    latency89

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Am I right in saying the first EMA meeting is Monday? Does anyone know if it will be approved there and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Am I right in saying the first EMA meeting is Monday? Does anyone know if it will be approved there and then?

I could have this wrong but I believe the approval process i read the other day was EMA give the green light and EU commission is the one that then signs off on it shortly after. Much like the FDA get the advisory committee first, they recommend approval then FDA signs off.

I could have this wrong but I believe the approval process i read the other day was EMA give the green light and EU commission is the one that then signs off on it shortly after. Much like the FDA get the advisory committee first, they recommend approval then FDA signs off.
    I assume the commission plan to meet Tuesday or Wednesday hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I got the vaccine earlier in NI and someone asked about the rollout. It's carehome staff and residents first, then the next round is staff in high risk hospital wards (ICU, respiratory wards), staff in primary care centres dealing with covid, staff in mental health inpatient units, other staff who are vulnerable including BAME folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

I can't remember but has there been any instances of vaccine being given to people who had already contracted Covid and what was the result?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I can't remember but has there been any instances of vaccine being given to people who had already contracted Covid and what was the result?

Hoping to find that out myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Necro wrote: »
    Hoping to find that out myself :D

Should people who’ve had confirmed COVID be at the back of the queue?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

The Pfizer trial included people who had already been infected. No adverse impact. The others probably did aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

To qoute Dr Fauci today regarding the vaccines “ Come January, February, March, that light at the end of the tunnel will get brighter and brighter...”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

nommm wrote: »
    The Pfizer trial included people who had already been infected. No adverse impact. The others probably did aswell.

But did it have any beneficial effect?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Cork2021 wrote: »

I'd say no personally, but some might consider me selfish. Just stick to the groups as already assigned imo, trying to break them into 'have had Covid' and 'have not had Covid' would over-complicate things.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

How will we know the vaccine is working, will the survival rate go from 99.7% to 99.8%

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

aziz wrote: »
    How will we know the vaccine is working, will the survival rate go from 99.7% to 99.8%

Ask the families and friends of the 2,000 plus people who have died of Covid in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Ce he sin wrote: »
    Ask the families and friends of the 2,000 plus people who have died of Covid in Ireland.

Or the thousands saved in ICU.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Micky 32 wrote: »
    To qoute Dr Fauci today regarding the vaccines “ Come January, February, March, that light at the end of the tunnel will get brighter and brighter...”

But not in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'd say no, they could still be in a vulnerable group - and it's probably more trouble than it's worth to separate people into even more groups. Not sure if there are enough "already had it" -people to make a big difference in the speed of the vaccinations, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gael23 wrote: »
    But not in Ireland

Where did i say Ireland? :rolleyes: it was about a general comment regarding vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Or the thousands saved in ICU.

Do you mean people saved in ICU who were Covid positive, or non-Covid related admittances to ICU? There were approx 650 people who tested positive for Covid admitted to ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you mean people saved in ICU who were Covid positive, or non-Covid related admittances to ICU? There were approx 650 people who tested positive for Covid admitted to ICU.

Both. The battle against covid is to keep our hospitals functioning without being overwhelmed with covid patients... so vaccines have a clear role there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

I’ve been trawling the old thread looking for a link to a nasal spray that supposedly offers some protection against Covid, can anybody help me out? Can’t remember the name of it.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement

https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/moderna-ends-frozen-requirements-for-vaccine-easing-logistics-of-shipping-1.5237239

Moderna have said their vaccine is no longer required to be kept frozen when shipped locally. It can be kept refrigerated between 2-8°C. That will make a huge difference logistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭noserider

I’ve been trawling the old thread looking for a link to a nasal spray that supposedly offers some protection against Covid, can anybody help me out? Can’t remember the name of it.

Taffix

Hardyn wrote: »
    https://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/moderna-ends-frozen-requirements-for-vaccine-easing-logistics-of-shipping-1.5237239

Moderna have said their vaccine is no longer required to be kept frozen when shipped locally. It can be kept refrigerated between 2-8°C. That will make a huge difference logistically.

Excellent news, will make rollout very easy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭Polar101

Belgian minister reveals how much the EU is paying for vaccines.. she wasn't supposed to.

Oxford/AstraZeneca: €1.78
    Johnson & Johnson: $8.50
    Sanofi/GSK: €7.56
    Pfizer/BioNTech: €12
    CureVac: €10
    Moderna: $18

USA paying $4 for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine, but $15 for Moderna.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/18/belgian-minister-accidentally-tweets-eus-covid-vaccine-price-list

That 1.78 for Oxford's vaccine is unreal. The majority of people will be getting that one by the looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Looks like vaccine no 2 for the UK before year Is out!!

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1340039267171639297?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Doc07

But did it have any beneficial effect?

Yes but the numbers who had Covid were small. The vaccine will likely be recommended for people who have had previous Covid

Looks like vaccine no 2 for the UK before year Is out!!

https://twitter.com/telegraph/status/1340039267171639297?s=21

No surprise they're looking to approve it ahead of Moderna, they hadn't even a deal done with them a few weeks ago, scrambled to get one when the efficency data was released.

As per Martin today we're looking Moderna and Oxford/AZ in January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Is this a concern in terms of vaccines (or just scaremongering)?

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1340055216239030274?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Doc07 wrote: »
    Yes but the numbers who had Covid were small. The vaccine will likely be recommended for people who have had previous Covid

And no guarantee of sustained immunity regardless of previous infection ( sorry Necro) so all should get it .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement