Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIII (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

Harry Cole - political editor of the Sun - is ex-boyfriend to Carrie Symonds (PM's current mot ) and still on good terms ( no innuendo please ) i.e. a very reliable conduit for "from the horse's mouth" when you've used Laura Kuenssberg too much. He can be relied on to spout this stuff.

whats "zombie EU"?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭moon2

trellheim wrote: »
    whats "zombie EU"?

I read it as zombie demands made by the EU.

In other words - demands which were rejected before are now being made again out of the blue.

Tbh without actual details it sounds like rlthe usual rubbish from Johnson. Every public statement from the EU has been super consistent with the requirements. Its unlikely that the requirements are changing every time the EU meet Boris and his team, yet he constantly portrays it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

peter kern wrote: »
    i guess far less studends will study abroad now as uk universitys were also very popular with european students.

Luckily there's an English speaking country really close by the UK that will still be doing the whole Erasmus thing and is less concerned with being a hostile environment to anyone with a bit of an accent.
    I always like seeing those Euro coins without the harp on them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ElJeffe

Looks like it's happening. Huge rocky few months ahead for us here. Let's hope the EU are prepared to back us as it's really going to effect every single facet of our society.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Rrrrrr2

I think his body language last night with Ursula von der Leyen last night was one of a subservient being ordered around. Not the stature and poise of a leader.
    When asked to put on the mask by von der Leyen, "Ok, you run a tight ship around here..... and rightly so I may add."
    I can see how the EU are reluctant to do business with Johnson. Everything is a joke or quip to him.

Tbh I ain’t seeing any rush on the EU to do a deal that doesn’t suit- they’re (U.K.) the ones leaving after all- you can only be so pragmatic without completely selling out your principles and standards.
    No deal will cause grief and hassle for Ireland but not as catastrophic as some fear- even agri food sector has done a lot to prepare and reduce dependence on this one market.
    At this stage if he wants to go “Australia” then off you go- let us know how it goes come Jan 1st

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭trellheim

unless its all optics to show the ERG what-for and british pluck saves the day at the last mo

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It’s like a friend that wants to self harm to ease the pain- there’s only so much you can do to stop them and if they’re absolutely determined to do so then really what more can be done.
    Australia is a relatively very small economy (25 million) extremely geographically isolated focused on domestic consumption and exporting raw materials to Asia- the comparison with U.K. is deluded but not altogether surprising given the historical links and Brexit is big on empire rhetoric and misty eyed nostalgia

ElJeffe wrote: »
    Looks like it's happening. Huge rocky few months ahead for us here. Let's hope the EU are prepared to back us as it's really going to effect every single facet of our society.

We’ll be alright- the world isn’t going to end. Covid 19 has been a much bigger hurdle and ongoing in my opinion- there’s nothing we can’t buy or trade elsewhere if they chose to be petulant children with their economy- and it’ll be a short lived affair once they get to some brexit smelling salts come Jan 21

https://youtu.be/azVt89jP8us

That image says it all for me- two poorly turned out unfit sloppy clueless individuals vs two smart, relatively fit and presentable professional looking people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The penny dropping all over the place now. It's breathtaking that they're just taking the EU's stance on the single market seriously now.

https://twitter.com/BestForBritain/status/1337093496407285761?s=19

If ultimately they want to pursue a more race to bottom less relegation type economy in all areas then there’s nothing we can do - there’s a huge price to pay in terms of adjustment and orientation if that’s what you want to pursue but ultimately a decision for the British people to evaluate- far as I can see the quite heavily dependent regions of England and wales on export manufacturing like cars were very pro brexit- the kind of “cut your nose off to spite your face” type stuff that defined brexit for me- it was all in theory until now of course which was a lot easier- let’s see the reality

Hurrache wrote: »
    The penny dropping all over the place now. It's breathtaking that they're just taking the EU's stance on the single market seriously now.

This a Vote Leave person? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Rrrrrr2 wrote: »
    This a Vote Leave person? Lol

Yes, and a German. :rolleyes:

Shelga wrote: »
    Yes, and a German. :rolleyes:

Did she marry an English person and lives there or something? All kinds of bizarre ideologies and people seemed to flock to the emotion of Brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1337123694326460416

As we will probably hear more about this Australia style deal, good to clarify it.

Australia is only used to soften the language and the U.K. historical link - an FTA with Australia for the eu would not be particularly appealing for to distance, cheap Agri exports or lesser standards- plus it’s a fairly small market for things like cars so we have basic arrangements in place for stuff like that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Hurrache wrote: »

Not wishing to generalise but there has always been a profound misunderstanding of what the EEC / EU even was, certainly among British Eurosceptics.

The claim that 'we joined a mere trading bloc in 1973' is evidence of this. The EEC was never a trading bloc and always aspired to be something bigger and more significant than that.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not wishing to generalise but there has always been a profound misunderstanding of what the EEC / EU even was, certainly among British Eurosceptics.

The claim that 'we joined a mere trading bloc in 1973' is evidence of this. The EEC was never a trading bloc and always aspired to be something bigger and more significant than that.

They wouldn’t have had any problem with that too if they had been allowed dominate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Strazdas wrote: »

The UK joined the European economic community and as I remember it,that's what it was then,an economic trading bloc so to say it was never a trading bloc is incorrect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭kalych

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The UK joined the European economic community and as I remember it,that's what it was then,an economic trading bloc so to say it was never a trading bloc is incorrect.

I think the point here is there was always a recognition from the founding members that the point of the European community for coal and steel and then the EEC was always to prevent future wars on the continent of Europe. Hence thr goal was always politically motivated first and only economic second in liu of this.

Sure, when it was founded industrialization was the name of the game, hence the focus was on trading coal & steel. Then it was on customer products and it became the EEC. Then services and it became the EU.

This reflects the changing requirements of the Western European economies throughout time more so than the simple: 'it was a trading bloc only'. Make no mistake about it, at all stages the EEC/EU was about whatever it takes to prevent economic conflicts and as a result - possible wars. Political unity was always at the heart of it in some form. Sure it definitely evolved quite a bit since its inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,867 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Boris wants a no deal. How on earth can they not agree to comparable standards with the EU when they wish to trade with EU, it's in UK's interest to agree to that.
    So they want a trade deal, but want to produce cars with bicycle wheels and parachutes for brakes, they want to build vacuums that blow not suck. Great plan Boris.
    EU should walk away, and make life hell for them. In 5 years Scotland, Wales and NI will be independent states.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,339 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Well, the UK were the first to approve the Pfizer vaccine, and on the very first day of its deployment, two health workers nearly died from anaphylactic shock from the vaccine, that had never been tested with people who suffered from allergies.

That smacks of insufficient testing in my book and borders on reckless action by the body that approved it. Thankfully they did not die. At the very least, it should have been issued initially only to be used on healthy people, between 25 years and 60 years, not ninety year old patients, or health workers who suffer from allergies. Disgraceful, and all just to be first - actually the Chinese and Russians are already injecting vaccines.

I am sure such results makes Matt Hancock feel really proud.
    . It was absolutely ridiculous that people who had previously suffered severe allergic reaction to vaccines were put at risk by being first in line to get this vaccine.

Not only did it put these individuals at risk, but it put the entire vaccination program at risk because the anti Vaxxers got exactly what they were looking for on day one

I have been on this forum saying that not everyone should be given this vaccine because some people are at high risk of complications

If I knew this, based on some undergraduate courses in pharmaceutical technology, then what on earth were the UK ‘experts’ thinking?

People with a history of allergies to vaccine would have been excluded from any of the pre approval trials, these two people were probably the first people in the world to have been given this drug who had a history of reactions to vaccines, and their allergies are so severe that they carry adrenaline injections with themselves at all times.

Did they do any medical screening at all?

Boris wants a no deal. How on earth can they not agree to comparable standards with the EU when they wish to trade with EU, it's in UK's interest to agree to that.
    So they want a trade deal, but want to produce cars with bicycle wheels and parachutes for brakes, they want to build vacuums that blow not suck. Great plan Boris.
    EU should walk away, and make life hell for them. In 5 years Scotland, Wales and NI will be independent states.

I’m not sure he does- sure he loves the optics of “standing up the evil EU” for Brexiter consumption- but he’s not someone well equipped to deal with the mess on trade, customs, travel etc. He’s a romantic day dreamer that will play for the fashion of the moment with nothing behind it - but will be found out noe as no extension period etc. The runway ends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

They wouldn’t have had any problem with that too if they had been allowed dominate it.

That was never a realistic prospect, at the end of the day there's 4 other large member countries with significant populations comparable to the UK - Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

Of course the Brexiteers always love to say that they're the equivalent of half the member states of the EU leaving (forgetting to mention this is only true if you add up all the fairly insignificant small minnows like Malta, Luxembourg, Cyprus, Ireland,Coatia, Baltics etc)

The photo opp in Belgium last night was terrible too- he looked subservient and clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

The photo opp in Belgium last night was terrible too- he looked subservient and clueless

Yes, from a British pov, the optics were all wrong. BoJo had to go to their patch and she had to tell him where to stand, wear a mask etc. It was a cringe to watch. He looked, and is, way out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,919 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

What the heck were all the negotiations for over the last few years, if nothing is achieved even in compromise in the end? I don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,302 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

maebee wrote: »
    Yes, from a British pov, the optics were all wrong. BoJo had to go to their patch and she had to tell him where to stand, wear a mask etc. It was a cringe to watch. He looked, and is, way out of his depth.

Sadly it's no longer just a political freakshow... We're about to feel the real and destructive effects of it soon enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

I'm getting a feeling where the next brexit battlefield will be. The contingency plans will be deemed unacceptable by the true believers, and fought vociferously against. I see lots of comments in media that they are the level playing field by the back door. It is the last thing they can cling onto to stay playing the victim.

Madness.

Nate

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement